Great interviews with Matt and Gilby

Today I remembered these two interviews made while Matt and Gilby, separately, were in Brazil years ago.  Amongst many subjects, I point two:

1) Both are very nice guys, especially Gilby.

2) When Gilby pointed that the band evolved when he became a member, I thought about Fortus and Slash. They make such a talented duo, increasing the possibilites for the band. Izzy is a fabulous and unique composer, a master, and should be involved with the reunion tour. But, musically, the Slash/Gilby and Slash/Fortus duos are better for GNR.

Gilby

Matt

Part I: 

Part II: 

Edited by jpduff

6 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

At the time Matt and Gilby were in Guns, the band was an absolute powerhouse, all-time high, peak of their power rock n' roll band!!!!

So "hired hands" comments aside, their legacy in Guns will always be in tact.

I second that

8 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

At the time Matt and Gilby were in Guns, the band was an absolute powerhouse, all-time high, peak of their power rock n' roll band!!!!

For sure! I still can't belive that Matt is not involved with the reunion tour. He has been playing with many bands over the years (Velvet Revolver, Motorhead, Hollywood Vampires, Kings Of Chaos, his own solo carreer etc.), he's in an excellent shape, he does some good backing vocals and so on...

Edited by jpduff
  • Like 1

Yeah, Gilby's a real nice guy, and a great songwriter. Pawn Shop Guitars, Monkey Chow on the Snakepit record, 10 Years on Duff's solo album... those are great tunes and are up there with the strongest songs on those records, in my opinion.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jpduff said:

For sure! I still can't belive that Matt is not involved with the reunion tour. He has been playing with many bands over the years (Velvet Revolver, Motorhead, Hollywood Vampires, Kings Of Chaos, his own solo carreer etc.), he's in an excellent shape, he does some good backing vocals and so on...

I think it's the way he laughs which comes off really douchey and they can't handle it but personally I'm a huge fan and often practice just trying to nail the Sorum laugh with myself. It's so satisfying when I get it right.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, jpduff said:

Today I remembered these two interviews made while Matt and Gilby, separately, were in Brazil years ago.  Amongst many subjects, I point two:

1) Both are very nice guys, especially Gilby.

2) When Gilby pointed that the band evolved when he became a member, I thought about Fortus and Slash. They make such a talented duo, increasing the possibilites for the band. Izzy is a fabulous and unique composer, a master, and should be involved with the reunion tour. But, musically, the Slash/Gilby and Slash/Fortus duos are better for GNR.

Gilby

Matt

Part I: 

Part II: 

I don't see any evolution in the Slash-Gilby duo. I can barely listen Gilby's parts during the UYI tour.

• Like 1

Just now, mikebones said:

I don't see any evolution in the Slash-Gilby duo. I can barely listen Gilby's parts during the UYI tour.

Indeed, but that was not Gilby's fault. It was a choice of the band at that time. You can't blame him for his guitar's volume.

What I mean is... Gilby just played Izzy's parts, he didn't have a unique style or something in particular that make him special, you know?

When I see fortus-Slash I do feel something else, Fortus has more personality playing than Gilby.

• Like 1

Gilby and Matt's entrance to the band was seemless.  So many great bootlegs from beginning to end during that era.. Gilby complimented Slash's playing almost perfectly. Fortus and Slash are like Oil and Water half the time. It is just straight up awkward at times.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Gilby and Matt's entrance to the band was seem less.  So many great bootlegs from beginning to end during that era.. Gilby complimented Slash' splaying almost perfectly. Fortus and Slash are like Oil and Water half the time. It is just straight up awkward at times.

Gilby's just a real cool cat! He knew who was driving the boat, knew whose band it was (Slash) and knew his place in it and did a real solid job. 

+1 For his Nightrain solos too!

Edited by FuriousStyles

19 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Gilby's just a real cool cat! He knew who was driving the boat, knew whose band it was (Slash) and knew his place in it and did a real solid job. 

My cat can play the first nightrain solo!

1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

Agree 100% on the Nightrain solo. It isn't complicated and wasn't meant to be. Gilby does a tasteful rendition of the lick. He stays true to it's original form unlike Fortus who tries to show off by seeing how many unnecessary notes he can fit into it.. Gilby also had great backing vocals.

And to the people that are always spouting off on how Slash wanted Fortus in his band even though there is no real substance to that claim.. No quote from Slash, only a phantom facebook post by a disgruntled Fortus. Slash DID want Gilby in his band. It happened twice.. Once in Gn'R and once in Snakepit...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

True but that was also 1992 and 1993. Different eras for music 

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think it's the way he laughs which comes off really douchey and they can't handle it but personally I'm a huge fan and often practice just trying to nail the Sorum laugh with myself. It's so satisfying when I get it right.

See I always viewed that interview as a compliment to axl. 

Edited by Billsfan

19 hours ago, jpduff said:

Oh, thanks a lot for letting me know that. I had no idea

:blink:

Edited by ludurigan

30 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Oh, thanks a lot for letting me know that. I had no idea

:blink:

Be my guest! I noticed that you're still a beginner in GNR world. So, you can ask me anything you still don't know, including obvious facts. ;)

6 hours ago, jpduff said:

Be my guest! I noticed that you're still a beginner in GNR world. So, you can ask me anything you still don't know, including obvious facts. ;)

yeah i have no idea, its really great to know that fortus and slash is better MUSICALLY than izzy and slash

:rofl-lol:

21 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah i have no idea, its really great to know that fortus and slash is better MUSICALLY than izzy and slash

:rofl-lol:

Nowadays, Slash and Fortus can increase the range of possibilities in GNR songs, once Fortus is a better guitar player than Stradlin. This is the fact, especially if we consider that the current line up is keeping the Chinese Democracy's legacy alive. But it's completely obvious that Slash/Izzy is GNR in its entirety. If I could choose, this "reunion tour" would only consist of the classic AFD line-up. Period.

But reality is out there, so we have to work with what is possible, making the best choices under that prisma, which for me is Slash and Fortus, having Izzy as a guest.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jpduff said:

Nowadays, Slash and Fortus can increase the range of possibilities in GNR songs, once Fortus is a better guitar player than Stradlin. This is the fact, especially if we consider that the current line up is keeping the Chinese Democracy's legacy alive. But it's completely obvious that Slash/Izzy is GNR in its entirety. If I could choose, this "reunion tour" would only consist of the classic AFD line-up. Period.

But reality is out there, so we have to work with what is possible, making the best choices under that prisma, which for me is Slash and Fortus, having Izzy as a guest.

wow,its great to know that fortus can INCREASE THE RANGE OF POSSIBILITIES in gnr songs

its actually terrific to learn that FORTUS IS BETTER GUITAR PLAYER THAN IZZY

this is all new to me

its like a revelation, i am having a great time learning all those FACTS AND THRUTHS

:rofl-lol:  :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Again -- perhaps they should just replace Fortus with bumblefoot or zakk wylde -- imagine the range of musical possibilities. Hell bring in Dave Navarro as the third guitarist also. 

Meanwhile -- none of these guys are half the songwriter Izzy is. None of them complement Slash's playing or bring out the best in him like Izzy. That's why people like Gilby -- he complements Slash's playing. It doesn't matter if he's not as skilled as Buckethead. That's not the point. He just brings out the best in Slash -- something Fortus is incapable of since he's too busy showboating onstage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Again -- perhaps they should just replace Fortus with bumblefoot or zakk wylde -- imagine the range of musical possibilities. Hell bring in Dave Navarro as the third guitarist also. 

Meanwhile -- none of these guys are half the songwriter Izzy is. None of them complement Slash's playing or bring out the best in him like Izzy. That's why people like Gilby -- he complements Slash's playing. It doesn't matter if he's not as skilled as Buckethead. That's not the point. He just brings out the best in Slash -- something Fortus is incapable of since he's too busy showboating onstage. 

If you read what I posted first, you wouldn't have written this.

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

wow,its great to know that fortus can INCREASE THE RANGE OF POSSIBILITIES in gnr songs

its actually terrific to learn that FORTUS IS BETTER GUITAR PLAYER THAN IZZY

this is all new to me

its like a revelation, i am having a great time learning all those FACTS AND THRUTHS

:rofl-lol:  :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Dude, if you didn't get my ironies, just fuck off!

Edited by jpduff

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

There is something to be said about a guitar combo where the rhythm guitarist does his job, takes a backseat and plays solid rhythm that compliments the lead guitarist. This isn't the case with all bands but this is a dynamic that works and works well for bands like AC/DC, Aerosmith and all of Slash's bands including Guns N' Roses. That is why it never worked out with Zakk Wylde in the 90's and it isn't working great now. It appears Fortus has an ego too big to just take a backseat. Slash shouldn't have to adjust the way he plays his own damn songs.. Fortus should be happy he is part of this and adjust the way he does things now that Slash is back. I don't care how long he was in Axl's cover band. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

There is something to be said about a guitar combo where the rhythm guitarist does his job, takes a backseat and plays solid rhythm that compliments the lead guitarist. This isn't the case with all bands but this is a dynamic that works and works well for bands like AC/DC, Aerosmith and all of Slash's bands including Guns N' Roses. That is why it never worked out with Zakk Wylde in the 90's and it isn't working great now. It appears Fortus has an ego too big to just take a backseat. Slash shouldn't have to adjust the way he plays his own damn songs.. Fortus should be happy he is part of this and adjust the way he does things now that Slash is back. I don't care how long he was in Axl's cover band. 

can you post an example of Rick trying to mess with Slash? Cause I can't hear him on most of the songs at all I just hear Slash.

It started from the first song at the Troubador when he was louder than Slash on It's So Easy.. It happens on A LOT (Not All) of songs but half the time the cameras are still focuses on Slash. Slash's solos are USUALLY louder but he is generally drowned out during rhythms.. Rocket Queen is a song where Fortus basically just re-writes the rhythm riffs and it doesn't mesh, then he has to solo on top of Slash while he is at it.. Out Ta Get Me Fortus almost throws them off when he plays Slash's lead fill at the same time as Slash instead of just playing rhythm. I know I saw a Wish you were here where Fortus was like twice as loud. It happens all the time. Those examples were off the top of my head.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1