New red hot Chili peppers single

vloors

Just now, Len B'stard said:

I love Frusciante, Frusciante is an old school mental fucker and top drawer musician of the highest order.  Does anyone look at Anthony Keidis and see a really really fuckin' cleaned up and well presented version of Iggy Pop? 

I think Frusciante's work from Californication onward is some of the best guitar out there.

Edited by J Dog

Just now, J Dog said:

I think Frusciante's work from Californication onward is some of the best guitar out there. 

What i love about Frusciante is he covers EVERY base.  Put him on as like a pop song guy and he'll nail it, put him on a kinda avante garde uncommercial arthouse thing and he'll go as far out there as you can imagine.  He ain't no fuckin' 20 minute solo guitar hero but at the same time you can tell he kinda loved that shit at some point in his life, he's got history in his playing, he really is the boy when it comes to the guitar.

People treat the guitar like a dead instrument, like there's nowhere left to go with it but i think thats bullshit because every so often a guy comes along (and to be the last ones are Johnny Marr in the 80s and John Frusciante in the 90s) that really do something with the instrument.  Y'know what i think it is?  You gotta show your chops within the context of a song, look at what EVERYONES doing in your day, leave that shit out and work with the styles that AIN'T being played and then work that into pop music somehow, Johnny Marr did that perfectly with The Smiths cuz like what was going on in the 80s?  Showing off, shredding, all that kinda shit, riffs, it was the age of the riff...so he throws that to one side, does kinda folk picking to propel the rhythm, like all this arpeggio shit, turns all kinds of fuckin' effects off and just plays clean (at least to begin with) and crisp guitar work...and hey presto, the combination of those things gave you something new for that time.  Frusciante was like that too and right from Californication onwards as you say.  I really like that guy, he's got it, whatever the shit is, whatever you wanna call it, that boy has it in buckets, he ain't just all one way with it.

Just now, Len B'stard said:

What i love about Frusciante is he covers EVERY base.  Put him on as like a pop song guy and he'll nail it, put him on a kinda avante garde uncommercial arthouse thing and he'll go as far out there as you can imagine.  He ain't no fuckin' 20 minute solo guitar hero but at the same time you can tell he kinda loved that shit at some point in his life, he's got history in his playing, he really is the boy when it comes to the guitar.

People treat the guitar like a dead instrument, like there's nowhere left to go with it but i think thats bullshit because every so often a guy comes along (and to be the last ones are Johnny Marr in the 80s and John Frusciante in the 90s) that really do something with the instrument.  Y'know what i think it is?  You gotta show your chops within the context of a song, look at what EVERYONES doing in your day, leave that shit out and work with the styles that AIN'T being played and then work that into pop music somehow, Johnny Marr did that perfectly with The Smiths cuz like what was going on in the 80s?  Showing off, shredding, all that kinda shit, riffs, it was the age of the riff...so he throws that to one side, does kinda folk picking to propel the rhythm, like all this arpeggio shit, turns all kinds of fuckin' effects off and just plays clean (at least to begin with) and crisp guitar work...and hey presto, the combination of those things gave you something new for that time.  Frusciante was like that too and right from Californication onwards as you say.  I really like that guy, he's got it, whatever the shit is, whatever you wanna call it, that boy has it in buckets, he ain't just all one way with it.

I love his story too. How they make this massive hit of an album with BSSM, and he just ups and walks away from it. Then after a few years the guys see him on an interview or something, in somewhere like Amsterdam, and he's all strung out and looking like death. I think Flea said, we weren't even thinking about music or him back in the band, we just wanted to save his life. And then they make Californication and he just, brings some new, next level type of shit. Respect to all of them for that.

6 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I love his story too. How they make this massive hit of an album with BSSM, and he just ups and walks away from it. Then after a few years the guys see him on an interview or something, in somewhere like Amsterdam, and he's all strung out and looking like death. I think Flea said, we weren't even thinking about music or him back in the band, we just wanted to save his life. And then they make Californication and he just, brings some new, next level type of shit. Respect to all of them for that.

Yeah i seen that interview, that one in Amsterdam where he's in this shithole and like...clearly fucked off his tits.  Y'know what i love about that though?  No matter how much he was on this lowest fuckin' ebb he still had this real clear artistic vision of what he wanted to achieve with his music.  Like all he needed was his guitar and he was good.  Reminds me of something i was saying in the other thread about Iggy (not to talk about Iggy ALL the fuckin' time) that no matter how fucked up he was, no matter how crazy and fucked up he was he always had a clear artistic vision of what he was looking to do with his art, even to the point of he felt he had to live this kinda fucked up life to make the work real, like you couldn't make that kinda music if you didn't live it 100%.  And Frusciante was kinda like that at that point, i remember him pulling out these Jimi Hendrix records and playing them for the interviewer this one time like check this out, do you hear what he's trying to do here etc etc, which this real glee, it's a thing to behold.  He tells this anecdote about Jimi and how Jimi said he could hear all this crazy music in his head and his whole life was about trying to transpose that and put it down through his guitar but he could never get it quite right (damn Jimi, if that ain't quite right I'd LOVE to see what right is!) and sometimes he just wanted to quit the guitar altogether and just lay down and close his eyes for the rest of his life and listen to the music in his head.  I guess it's true what they say about madness and genius.  Not that I'm suggesting that you gotta be some crazy crackhead cunt to make good music but it's just like...for some people if thats what it took to take them to a certain place they put it all on the line.  There's something admirable in that, in this day and age where people can't make a fuckin' desicion about anything without wondering how the shit will effect their credit rating it's important to be reminded that there is such a thing as living for a higher ideal y'know?

• Like 1

John Frusciante is one of the most talented artists in popular music. He's one of those figures that just embodies music, like he was born with it. From guitar to piano to singing (background and lead) to songwriting, he was just excellent at all of it, I don't know if people really appreciate what he's able to do. 

Here's a great song from the "fucked up" era you guys are discussing, the anguish is so tangible in the music, I've almost never heard anything like it:

Edited by Jakey Styley
  • Like 2

I liked it at first, now I LOVE it. It's fuckin' amazing. Danger Mouse + RHCP. I knew something good would come up. You add DM's characteristic pianos and atmospheric choruses into RHCP, you can't really miss it. Dude is one of - if not THE - best producers out there.

When I say overated I mean in the context of Chili pepper albums. As in is Blood Sugar better Uplift Mofo or Freaky Styley or Mother's Milk? 

To me Chili peppers music is about the songs. I think that's why Califorication doesn't do it for me as an album. It has these flagship singles but then drops down into some lesser tracks. I love stadium arcadium but like UYI it's not a great album in my opinion of what makes a great album. It's an audicious scattershot of all Chili pepper styles. By the Way is my favorite and see as a great album because songs are focused and it's somewhat of an evolution of elements Chilis had but never fully realised. It has an ebb and flow, you can't turn it off. 

So as I jump through Freaky Styley, Uplift, Mothers Milk, Blood Sugar, By the way and now into I'm with You and this new one I looking for their next classic. Admittedly I'm with You focuses on songs not guitar work, But to focus only on Frusciante is to underate other albums in their catalog. 

Frusciante isn't over rated.

But there's a tendency to forget the early albums and how great they are. 

22 hours ago, wasted said:

When I say overated I mean in the context of Chili pepper albums. As in is Blood Sugar better Uplift Mofo or Freaky Styley or Mother's Milk? 

To me Chili peppers music is about the songs. I think that's why Califorication doesn't do it for me as an album. It has these flagship singles but then drops down into some lesser tracks. I love stadium arcadium but like UYI it's not a great album in my opinion of what makes a great album. It's an audicious scattershot of all Chili pepper styles. By the Way is my favorite and see as a great album because songs are focused and it's somewhat of an evolution of elements Chilis had but never fully realised. It has an ebb and flow, you can't turn it off. 

So as I jump through Freaky Styley, Uplift, Mothers Milk, Blood Sugar, By the way and now into I'm with You and this new one I looking for their next classic. Admittedly I'm with You focuses on songs not guitar work, But to focus only on Frusciante is to underate other albums in their catalog. 

Frusciante isn't over rated.

But there's a tendency to forget the early albums and how great they are. 

I get what you're saying. I'm not much of a greatest hits guy, but that album called What Hits!?, that has all that stuff before BSSM is a really good taste of early stuff. It's funky. I heard Too $hort do an interview about how he managed to have a 30 year rap career especially without much radio play. His answer was, the funk. He said the funk has been good since it was invented and never goes out of style and his music has always been funk based. Chili Peppers got that funk too.

Like this new song, maybe not as great as I want, it's doesn't even really bring anything new to the table. But it's got that funk. Makes your head nod.

Edited by J Dog

I am really missing Johns funky guitars throughout songs and solos. Even Johns background singing was great.

The new guy Josh is a real minimalist guitar player. I dont like his style.

The rest of the band still sound great but they are missing that great guitar player ripping up songs from start to finish.

Even Dave Navarro brought more to the table for me.

40 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

maybe my fav chillis song, cant find the studio version (which i like cuz it sounds rent and dirty) so you'll have to make do with this as a substitute.

Yeah, the original sounds cheap and dirty and really goes with the song. This is one of my favs. I think $hort Dog was right, it's the funk.

1 minute ago, vloors said:

I am really missing Johns funky guitars throughout songs and solos. Even Johns background singing was great.

The new guy Josh is a real minimalist guitar player. I dont like his style.

The rest of the band still sound great but they are missing that great guitar player ripping up songs from start to finish.

Even Dave Navarro brought more to the table for me.

I love John's background singing. I wasn't too hard on Josh the first go round since it was their first album together. Hopefully he brings more on the new one. When I heard John was leaving again, first thing I thought was, they should give Navarro another shot.

1 minute ago, J Dog said:

Yeah, the original sounds cheap and dirty and really goes with the song. This is one of my favs. I think $hort Dog was right, it's the funk.

Its always the funk sir, see this is why i love you :lol:. Its all about the funk, its actually been around since James Brown wrote Cold Sweat in 67 and its had its place it the 70s with Parliament Funkadelic and in the 80s with Nile Rodgers and Prince and The Stone Roses and in the 90s through EPMD and Redman and Dre and it still works today and yknow why? Its the groove, if it makes your hips move it'll last forever and this is what people forever about music, it HAS to make you move, move physically, whether you're a hip swinger or a head nodder, if it moves you it'll last forever.

1 minute ago, Len B'stard said:

Its always the funk sir, see this is why i love you :lol:. Its all about the funk, its actually been around since James Brown wrote Cold Sweat in 67 and its had its place it the 70s with Parliament Funkadelic and in the 80s with Nile Rodgers and Prince and The Stone Roses and in the 90s through EPMD and Redman and Dre and it still works today and yknow why? Its the groove, if it makes your hips move it'll last forever and this is what people forever about music, it HAS to make you move, move physically, whether you're a hip swinger or a head nodder, if it moves you it'll last forever.

I wish I could find that Too $hort interview. You know how he talks. They're like, how have you lasted so long, 20 albums, what's the secret. He's like....the funk, the funk ,and the funk. It's all about the funk. The funk never gets old, never goes out of style. Whether I'm in Oakland doing the west coast thing or in Atlanta doing the dirty south thing, I never abandon the funk and it never let me down.

And that's coming from a true pimp :lol:

1 minute ago, J Dog said:

I wish I could find that Too $hort interview. You know how he talks. They're like, how have you lasted so long, 20 albums, what's the secret. He's like....the funk, the funk ,and the funk. It's all about the funk. The funk never gets old, never goes out of style. Whether I'm in Oakland doing the west coast thing or in Atlanta doing the dirty south thing, I never abandon the funk and it never let me down.

And that's coming from a true pimp :lol:

Too $hort baby, i ain't no sucker

Literally, I'm a mother fucker

:lol:

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

I get what you're saying. I'm not much of a greatest hits guy, but that album called What Hits!?, that has all that stuff before BSSM is a really good taste of early stuff. It's funky. I heard Too $hort do an interview about how he managed to have a 30 year rap career especially without much radio play. His answer was, the funk. He said the funk has been good since it was invented and never goes out of style and his music has always been funk based. Chili Peppers got that funk too.

Like this new song, maybe not as great as I want, it's doesn't even really bring anything new to the table. But it's got that funk. Makes your head nod.

I come from east Oakland where the girls are getting hify. 

I think they are really worth checking as real albums. I felt disappointed by What Hit's but it did have Soul to Squeeze from the Pretty Woman soundtrack? 

I've never fully researched who the Chilis were nicking off. I heard names like Parliament and Funkadelic?

They were more wacky and funky early on. But to sell records they went kind of darker and more serious then on By the Way it's almost just rock.

BLood sugar was the one that really made them players. And they stayed in the game. Which means they have a huge catalog. So musical too like Beatlesque. Experimental but still songs. 

By the way is probably favorite at the moment. Blood Sugar makes shit hurt for no reason.