The big life U turn

When I got close to being 40, in 2015, I looked backwards.

And there was a massive clear out in my life.

I was also able to be me, accept myself  and admit to my weaknesses and, especially for me, rely on others for the first time.

Without going in depth into our private lives, did it happen to you too ?

When my mum died, that was my turning point. I spent my life  trying to please her- as is natural for any child to do. Mum going was a complicated weight off my shoulders. My behaviour changed too, I went from a loud, threatening, opinionated girl to a quiet, diligent and diplomatic young lady (those of you who have met me might have a few other adjectives too!). I just matured all of a sudden. I was 19. 26 now but haven't experienced such an alteration in life as that.

• Like 1

Never had a problem being me, I've kind of always knew who I was and have always been true to myself. 

But I had a kid at a young age. I guess thats when it hit me that, I don't need anyone, don't care how others live their life, don't care what or how anyone else thinks. As long as she thinks I'm a good dad, that's all I need. Not to sound cold, but as long as I got her the whole world can fuck off.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

I'm trying to get to Nashville on a full-time basis. If that happens anytime soon (I'll be 31 in July), I'll credit that as the turning point.

Ever been the The Oprey?  Is it still as it was in the days of big Hank?

Just now, The Real McCoy said:

I've been to the Ryman and the Opry numerous times. Absolutely beautiful buildings, and the Opryland Hotel is just insanely amazing.

Ever get onstage there?  I mean not to perform but just get on that stage?

9 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Ever get onstage there?  I mean not to perform but just get on that stage?

I've been onstage at the Opry. An artist friend of mine that played that night was able to get my girlfriend and I backstage passes, so we got to see all of the dressing rooms and such, and we were able to watch the entire show from the side of the stage. (They have seats and standing room in the back of the stage.) Truly a moment that I'll never forget.

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 2

A few years ago I lost family members in quick succession, lost my job, girlfriend, home and fell out with life long friends all in the space of a year.

It kicked my ass, but I woke up to myself and have really sort of turned my life around and become boring/responsible.

Next month I'll be 40, If I can't quit smoking totally and drinking at the rate I've been doing it recently then I've accepted I'll be dead before I'm 50. Its been a crappy year, father died, 2 weeks ago a family member living with us had a stroke and is a vegetable. Then as the cherry on the cake I got paid off from work last week when I was the only source of household income. Excuse me while I finish my 4.42am Vodka & Coke

No, it didn't happen to me. It's not about me anymore, it's about the mini fridge I bought to go next to the couch. Everyone should get one. I've got it stocked with coke, tonic and Budweiser and it's my number no. 1 priority in my life. 

• Like 2

When I seriously started looking into Weed. I flirt with getting hammered, alcohol is nice but the major and only U turn in my life was starting to smoke and probably discovering Jimi and The Beatles as well.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rovim said:

When I seriously started looking into Weed. I flirt with getting hammered, alcohol is nice but the major and only U turn in my life was starting to smoke and probably discovering Jimi and The Beatles as well.

If i could like a post a thousand times this would be that post!

2 hours ago, moreblack said:

Quit smoking a few years ago and gained a bunch of weight as a result. Had to either start working out or just watch the scale numbers keep going up. My cardio is definitely legit these days.

Cuz there's nothing worse than a fat metaller eh? :lol: