Vegas Shows nominated for Kerrang Award

Just now, Len B'stard said:

Kerrang have been a joke since the mid 90s

As opposed to before the mid 90s when they covered actual Heavy Metal like Megadeth and Metallica? We've seen it all now: Len, the passionate advocate for metal's soul and integrity.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As opposed to before the mid 90s when they covered actual Heavy Metal like Megadeth and Metallica? We've seen it all now: Len, the passionate advocate for metal's soul and integrity.

Well all my metaller mates spout that shit as a standard.  And i used to buy Kerrang back in the day, when i was a little teenage GnR fan, looking for news on a band that would only get side bars once a year for the next decade plus.  Raw too, the heyday of those mags was back in the day when Megadeth and all them fuckin' smelly greasers (dis)graced the front covers.  In fact the more puritan metallers never rated it full stop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len B'stard said:

Well all my metaller mates spout that shit as a standard.  And i used to buy Kerrang back in the day, when i was a little teenage GnR fan, looking for news on a band that would only get side bars once a year for the next decade plus.  Raw too, the heyday of those mags was back in the day when Megadeth and all them fuckin' smelly greasers (dis)graced the front covers.  In fact the more puritan metallers never rated it full stop.

From my perception it was basically hard rock/metal (Guns, Tallica, Megadeth, Crue, Maiden, DC) then sometime around 1995 it switched to Korn, Slipnot, Limp Biscuit and those terrible groups.

When Guns were at their height in the early '90s you used to see them in Look In and Smash Hits haha. It almost seems like an alien planet.

I still have some early 90s issues of Kerrang lying around in the attic, there was quite a bit of GNR in them at the time but also lots of Metallica and heavier stuff as well. Raw and Metal Hammer I think I also have, but at least Kerrang I recall became uninteresting in second half of the 90s. Nowadays I have no clue what is in there.

Edit: just looked and Andy Black (I have never heard of him) is on the cover + "PLUS: Pierce The Veil, blink-182, Prince, Fall Out Boy, letlive., Architects, PVRIS, Kvelertak, Against The Current, Deftones, All Time Low, As It Is, Placebo, Fort Hope, Akercocke and LOADS more!"

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

From my perception it was basically hard rock/metal (Guns, Tallica, Megadeth, Crue, Maiden, DC) then sometime around 1995 it switched to Korn, Slipnot, Limp Biscuit and those terrible groups.

When Guns were at their height in the early '90s you used to see them in Look In and Smash Hits haha. It almost seems like an alien planet.

EXACTLY, Korn, yes!  And Sepultura and all that, who i suppose are more in line with what the puritans would seek.  Its sort of the rule though isn't it?  I was reading an interview with Iggy Pop where he was talking about how he met Josh Homme at 'some dubious award show' (it was Kerrang)...they start of puritan, up themselves and exclusive...then when their niche begins to fade into irrelevance they branch out and get all diluted...then when the whole shithouse collapses they begin to cater to all and sundry who are a million miles away from what they were really all about.  Just look at the Brit Awards, like late 80s they literally were just all about like...Rod Stewart.  Would never give any time to anyone who was anything less than establishment.  Then get Britpop came along and they knew they had to hop on that otherwise they'd fade quickly into irrelevance, they rode that gravy train for a couple of years and then when that faded suddenly they begin to cater to all these people that they never gave a fuck about and would never have entertained to begin with.  They tried to give my Uncle Johnny a lifetime achievement award and he told em to fuck off :lol:

8 minutes ago, view said:

I still have some early 90s issues of Kerrang lying around in the attic, there was quite a bit of GNR in them at the time but also lots of Metallica and heavier stuff as well. Raw and Metal Hammer I think I also have, but at least Kerrang I recall became uninteresting in second half of the 90s. Nowadays I have no clue what is in there.

Edit: just looked and Andy Black (I have never heard of him) is on the cover + "PLUS: Pierce The Veil, blink-182, Prince, Fall Out Boy, letlive., Architects, PVRIS, Kvelertak, Against The Current, Deftones, All Time Low, As It Is, Placebo, Fort Hope, Akercocke and LOADS more!"

Metal Hammer, yeah, that was another one!

When Metal Hammer adopted the Korny bands, they at least had the decency to form a sister magazine to cater for the old farts: Classic Rock. Essentially what happened is the old farts left and took their Zeppelins and Floyds with them, leaving the Korney people at Metal Hammer. They are sister magazines though so it was well thought out between them.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slipknot are awesome man, they haven't released a bad album yet (even AHIG gave us Psychosocial and Snuff.) I'm not a huge fan of Korn but they're brilliant live and Jonathan Davis is a fantastic lyricist. Limp Bizkit are childish and cringeworthy, I'll give you that.

That riddiclous list of nominations says it all. Their were 2 video games listed their that were critically mauled by their fan base and critics. Their's no way there were enough nominations for most of these awards, they probably just had a few people in a room say... "what do we think might be hip to a 13 year old, who thinks Slipknot is the modern day equivalent of the Rolling Stones?"

I remember buying Kerrang magazine in the early 2000's when they were running a story on Chinese Democracy. They were talking about how tracks like "Just Another Sunday" and "Crash Diet" would be the album, it was ridiculous. This is the business that's told their fan base that Guns N' Roses is uncool for more than a decade and literally trained kids to go to Download to throw bottles at the band.

I remember flicking through the radio when the album finally came out. They ran a campaign around then about how everyone should buy the new classic Nickleback album Dark Horse instead. I'm deadly serious.

9 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

That riddiclous list of nominations says it all. Their were 2 video games listed their that were critically mauled by their fan base and critics. Their's no way there were enough nominations for most of these awards, they probably just had a few people in a room say... "what do we think might be hip to a 13 year old, who thinks Slipknot is the modern day equivalent of the Rolling Stones?"

I remember buying Kerrang magazine in the early 2000's when they were running a story on Chinese Democracy. They were talking about how tracks like "Just Another Sunday" and "Crash Diet" would be the album, it was ridiculous. This is the business that's told their fan base that Guns N' Roses is uncool for more than a decade and literally trained kids to go to Download to throw bottles at the band.

I remember flicking through the radio when the album finally came out. They ran a campaign around then about how everyone should buy the new classic Nickleback album Dark Horse instead. I'm deadly serious.

Which kinda shows these sorts of awards up for what they are really, doesn't it?  The rock n roll hall of fame is the same, they get people like The Stooges nominated having refused them SEVEN times prior to that, arguably one of the top five most influential American rock n roll bands of all time.

Edited by Len B'stard