Elections

Snake-Pit

London has an election today;

I just voted.

I got 3 votes, but 1 of them I cared about.

The Mayor of London...

I used my main vote for an outsider candidate; Lee Harris, and my 2nd vote (for use in the event of no one gaining 50% of the vote) I voted for Labour candidate Sadiq Khan...

Zack Goldsmith lost my vote when I saw him Vs. Khan in a televised debate from early April this year I caught on YouTube the other day.

Edited by Snake-Pit

To be honest... Some guy woke me up today at 9am to tell me about the election.

I was polite as can be considering.

And also, I sort of did forget at that point that election day was today.

26 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

... cant be fuckin bothered with it to be honest.

Len, there is an old liberal running for mayor, and not only that, he's got a BIG weed leaf next to him too on the ballot sheet.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/12/lee-harris-the-moral-crusader-turned-cannabis-activist-vying-to-be-london-mayor

I voted for him and then picked up... Wanted an 8th, got 2 Bens instead. Smoking one now.

Edited by Snake-Pit

52 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

What, who said weed, where, how do i vote?!? :lol:

Exactly, as soon as I saw something called CISTA (Cannabis Is Safer Than Alcohol) running for mayor in this town..; done deal, for me. (I only found out the other day still).

Trust me, Len - If you go down to vote, you'd see it on your ballot paper too. (You don't have to vote for it, but that weed leaf's there)..

Edited by Snake-Pit

Scottish National Elections today. 

I'm hoping that: The SNP retain their majority; Labour lose a lot of seats, but not enough to let the Conservatives become the official opposition (I don't think the Right deserve that kind of psychological boost, especially since they're as much of a bunch of irrelevant losers as always, they'd be gifted it by Labour's collapse); The Scottish Greens replace the LibDems as the fourth largest party and have a significant enough presence to drag the SNP agenda to the left; that UKIP get no seats whatsoever.

Basically, a pluralistic triumph for the Pro-Independence centre left and total extinction of the Unionist Right would be just super, come on Scotland!

There are too many elections, general, EU, by-elections, majors, councils - no wonder the general public are completely perplexed about our system of governance. I got a leaflet through the door a few weeks ago wanting me to vote for my police chief? How am I suppose to know my police chief candidates? I do not know any of them from Adam, and they do not represent any political grouping.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

There are too many elections, general, EU, by-elections, majors, councils - no wonder the general public are completely perplexed about our system of governance. I got a leaflet through the door a few weeks ago wanting me to vote for my police chief? How am I suppose to know my police chief candidates? I do not know any of them from Adam, and they do not represent any political grouping.

You go by their shoe size i suppose, which ones best disposed to give illegal immigrants a good kicking in the wee hours of the morning!

'Ah, I see officer Taylor is a size 12!  My, that would look keen rammed down a Kurds throat!'

Is this not a flawed system, voting for your policeman - over-democratic. I just presumed it was something the police sorted out themselves - why do they want my opinion? Ideally I would have thought, the meritocratic hierarchy of the police administrative would render up the best guy for the job.

• Like 1

Just now, Gracii Guns said:

Yep, my ballot paper had names next to party logos.

I did not even look that closely and chucked it straight in the bin which is where I throw all political literature and polling stuff before it pollutes my house.

3 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Theres some fuckin local bollocks going on around here too, i saw a polling thing on the doormatt this morning, cant be fuckin bothered with it to be honest.

So wait. You're not eligible to vote for London's mayor?

Edited by Snake-Pit

I heard there were people being turned away from the polls this morning... I still went and voted, nothing happened to me.

Now tonight, trying to search for some sort of hint at a result; and I see;

UK elections: Zac Goldsmith most likely to lose out after Barnet voting failures.

I wonder if this means anything in the bigger picture? Would this alter the whole outcome?

I just had to google what I voted for today, for my own sanity if anything -

Voilá;

London Assembly: Croydon and Sutton representative.

Party Candidate Votes % ±%
  Conservative Steve O'Connell      
  Labour Marina Ahmad      
  Liberal Democrat Amna Ahmad      
  UKIP Peter Staveley      
  Green Tracey Hague      
  National Front Richard Edmonds      
  All People's Party Madonna Lewis

I voted Liberal Democrat

London Assembly, again (which I'm still not sure why or what but);

London Assembly election, 2016[20]
List Candidates Votes % ±%
  Animal Welfare Vanessa Hudson, Jonathan Homan, Alexander Bourke, Linda Seddon, Zsanett Csontos      
  Britain First Jayda Fransen, Paul Golding, Christine Smith, Anne Elstone, Nancy Smith, Hollie Rouse, Peggy Saunders, Donna King, Kevan McMullen, Steven Connor      
  BNP David Furness, Paul Sturdy, John Clarke, Michael Jones, Peter Finch, Nicola Finch, Denise Underwood, Stephen Dillon, Philip Dalton, Gareth Jones, Beb Smith      
  Christian Peoples Malcolm Martin, Maureen Martin, Yemi Awolola, Helen Spiby-Vann, Ray Towey, Damilola Adewuyi, Kathy Mils, Kayode Shedono, Des Coke, Ashley Dickenson, Stephen Hammond, Kevin Nichols      
  Conservative Kemi Badenoch, Andrew Boff, Shaun Bailey, Susan Hall, Amandeep Bhogal, Joanne Laban, Antonia Cox, Joy Morrissey, Timothy Barnes, Gregory Stafford, Kishan Devani, Jonathan Cope      
  Green Siân Berry, Caroline Russell, Shahrar Ali, Jonathan Bartley, Noel Lynch, Rashid Nix, Dee Searle, Benali Hamdache, Andrea Carey Fuller, Anne RoseMary Warrington, Peter Underwood      
  Labour Fiona Twycross, Tom Copley, Nicky Gavron, Murad Qureshi, Alison Moore, Preston Tabois, Feryal Demirci, Mike Katz, Emily Brothers, Bevan Powell, Sara Hyde      
  Liberal Democrat Caroline Pidgeon, Emily Davey, Merlene Emerson, Robert Blackie, Zack Polanski, Dawn Barnes, Annabel Mullin, Marisha Ray, Adrian Hyyrylainen-Trett, Pauline Pearce, Benjamin Mathis      
  Respect George Galloway, Akib Mahmood, Mikail Rayne, Clare McCaughey, Rehiana Ali, Terry Hoy, Simon Virgo, Saurav Dutt, Tehmeena Mahmood, Karina Lockhart      
  The House Party Terry McGrenera      
  UKIP Peter Whittle, David Kurten, Lawrence Webb, Peter Harris, Neville Watson, Piers Wauchope, Afzal Akram, Elizabeth Jones, Tariq Saeed, Freddy Vachha, Peter Staveley      
  Women's Equality Harini Iyengar, Jacquelyn Guderley, Alison Marshall, Rebecca Manson Jones, Anila Dhami, Isabelle Parasram, Chris Paouros, Joanna Shaw, Kate Massey-Chase, Melanie Howard, Sophie Walker      

I voted Liberal Democrat

:- and here's the main one for me today; The one that decides Mayor of London..

London Mayoral Election 2016 Candidates
Party Candidate
  Green Party of England and Wales Siân Berry
  British National Party David Furness
  Respect Party George Galloway
  Britain First Paul Golding
  Conservative Party Zac Goldsmith
  Cannabis Is Safer Than Alcohol Lee Harris
  Labour Party Sadiq Khan
  One Love Party Ankit Love
  Liberal Democrats Caroline Pidgeon
  Women's Equality Party Sophie Walker
  UK Independence Party Peter Whittle
  Independent John Zylinski

This one I had to make 2 choices, my first choice and my second choice (my second choice to be used in the event of none of the candidates getting fifty percent of the vote)...

My first/main choice/vote for mayor I voted for CISTA (Cannabis Is Safer Than Alcohol); Second choice; Labour.

Why? Because I want legal recreational marijuana in London, and also, it's trending around the world, pot is being decriminalised..

and the Labour candidate Sadiq Khan is pro EU and his rival Zac Goldsmith is pro Brexit and, I personally don't want the banks that drive the City to up roots and leave London/the UK and move to Paris or Hamburg in the event of a Brexit, so I sided with Sadiq Khan/Labour's candidate for mayor, because of that; over Zac Goldsmith.

Edited by Snake-Pit

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

For being, well, Snakepit basically, Snakepit does take a surprisingly active interest in politics - more that 99.9% of the population I suspect.  

Snake-Pit for Prime Minister was no joke :lol: of course I want to serve the public; it's in my nature.

Brits like Len and Dazey can be witnessed in the US politics thread, however, where is America's reciprocation: where are mygnr's Americans in our electoral thread? I would have thought Americans would be keenly interested in the make up of Reigate & Banstead's local council, or whether or not Plaid Cymru can hold onto Dwyfor Meirionnydd, the SNP Clydebank and Milngavie - in the interests and spirit of friendship, surely?

Finally, a result for the one election I cared about that I voted in yesterday.

No one got 50% of the vote, so they used my 2nd vote too; and with that, Sadiq Khan won Mayor of London with 1, 000, 000+ votes vs. Zac Goldmith's 900, 000 or so in the end, when counting everyone's 2nd choice and adding that on to what the 2 front runners got.

My 2nd choice got counted and it was for Sadiq Khan anyway; my first choice was just me exercising my democratic right to vote for this legalise pot party I saw; send that message to the electorate.

Edited by Snake-Pit