Axl talks about being in AC/DC

Pedrolg

This is an opportunity for Axl to shine. He just has to show up here and do a job. With gnr he's got to run the ship. No worries with this gig. Sure fans will be pissed but I think they are the minority. I guess DC could have just refunded and cancelled but this is better. Hopefully Brian will be back. Looking forward to some great footage from the concerts wishing there were some west coast gigs left

I'm sure there's going to be attempts to heckle Axl but Angus is going to be the one stopping the show if it happens. The only thing that would piss Axl off is if the sound guy turned his mic down, where he had to sing harder and possibly blow his voice out. 

1 hour ago, The Archer said:

I really think that the negativity comes from just one section of the die-hards who are a small proportion of the overall fan base. If you look at the response to the post of the band picture from earlier in the day, of the 28K expressions expressed, there are about 26K likes, about 1K sad smileys and about 1K hearts. The last two groups are people at the extreme end of the curve - those who are really unhappy and those who are really happy. It's mostly these people who've bothered to make the 2K+ comments. I didn't run through all of them, but looking at a small statistical sample, the trend seemed to be something like this - 50% of them being positive about Axl joining the band 40% of them having outright negative views, and about 10 % of them being between neutral to giving Axl a fair shot.

I would definitely agree with your first statement- there is still and always will be a segment of the die hard fan base (frankly of any band) who won't accept change. I think the actual Facebook comments are not representative of die hard fans and most likely includes people who like to post and bitch about a variety of things just to hear themselves speak. For those of you who have been on the acdcfans website, that's probably a better representation of the diehard fans than Facebook is. Keep in mind some of those folks still can't accept that Phil Rudd isn't in AC/DC anymore despite the fact that he made his own bed with drug and legal problems, so losing Brian put them over the edge. 

My my own feelings on this (not that any of you should care, but I'll share anyway) have changed a bit over the past two months. I had tickets to three of the 10 postponed US shows and was excited to see the band for what I assumed would be the final time, due to their ages. I'm not good with dates but the past ~2 months has been something like this:

-sad but not surprised that shows were postponed, assuming this was the end

-frustrated by lack of any info for several weeks after postponement

-PISSED about announcement from band that Brian was out. Felt that he got shafted by Angus. 

-indifferent towards axl being the singer. I already have tickets to see GNR this summer. Didn't want to see a new singer for ACDC

-slowly accepting this situation and curious about how Axl would do, but leaning against going to axl/DC shows

-f'ing PUMPED after seeing rehearsal videos this week of Axl singing and the feet of Portuguese fans, but almost feeling guilty for enjoying it and still feeling like Brian got shafted

-relieved as hell to see video from Angus, Cliff, and Axl. Mainly Cliff who was Brian's friend. I think a lot of us diehard acdc fans now have closure and understanding that Brian wasn't dicked over.

i don't know about you guys but I'm going to be hooked to YouTube/periscope on Saturday and hoping a nice quality bootleg of this historic show surfaces soon after. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Keep in mind some of those folks still can't accept that Phil Rudd isn't in AC/DC anymore despite the fact that he made his own bed with drug and legal problems, so losing Brian put them over the edge. 

Drummer with drug problems getting fired and then ending up with delusional fans? Yeah, that sounds very familiar in GN'R World. :lol: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Drummer with drug problems getting fired and then ending up with delusional fans? Yeah, that sounds very familiar in GN'R World. :lol: 

Lol I'll give you that much, but gnr and AC/DC are so different. Do you know what it's like to lose your rhythm guitarist and a key songwriter who was the backbone of the band? Does your lead guitarist wear a distinctive costume? Is your lead singer Axl Rose? 

Shit, wait a minute....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Axl's jewelry jingles when he moves his hands :lol:

Great video though.

I laughed at that. Axl be wearing that hardware son. Bling bling.

And I don't too much care about his attire or how he looks or his weight like a lot of people do, but he looks bad ass right now.

1 hour ago, goneshootin said:

I would definitely agree with your first statement- there is still and always will be a segment of the die hard fan base (frankly of any band) who won't accept change. I think the actual Facebook comments are not representative of die hard fans and most likely includes people who like to post and bitch about a variety of things just to hear themselves speak. For those of you who have been on the acdcfans website, that's probably a better representation of the diehard fans than Facebook is. Keep in mind some of those folks still can't accept that Phil Rudd isn't in AC/DC anymore despite the fact that he made his own bed with drug and legal problems, so losing Brian put them over the edge. 

My my own feelings on this (not that any of you should care, but I'll share anyway) have changed a bit over the past two months. I had tickets to three of the 10 postponed US shows and was excited to see the band for what I assumed would be the final time, due to their ages. I'm not good with dates but the past ~2 months has been something like this:

-sad but not surprised that shows were postponed, assuming this was the end

-frustrated by lack of any info for several weeks after postponement

-PISSED about announcement from band that Brian was out. Felt that he got shafted by Angus. 

-indifferent towards axl being the singer. I already have tickets to see GNR this summer. Didn't want to see a new singer for ACDC

-slowly accepting this situation and curious about how Axl would do, but leaning against going to axl/DC shows

-f'ing PUMPED after seeing rehearsal videos this week of Axl singing and the feet of Portuguese fans, but almost feeling guilty for enjoying it and still feeling like Brian got shafted

-relieved as hell to see video from Angus, Cliff, and Axl. Mainly Cliff who was Brian's friend. I think a lot of us diehard acdc fans now have closure and understanding that Brian wasn't dicked over.

i don't know about you guys but I'm going to be hooked to YouTube/periscope on Saturday and hoping a nice quality bootleg of this historic show surfaces soon after. 

Awesome post. Your feelings and opinions are totally welcome here I'm sure, because that's what the forums are for - it's only when opinions are delivered as fact that people on this board really take offense.

Just curious - were you a casual GN'R fan before you joined the board or a fan with above average interest who had never joined the boards because you didn't really feel or think of yourself as 'hardcore', but may have lurked around here. I only ask because you mentioned that you had tickets to the GN'R shows. Also, before the recordings of the band in rehearsal came out, did you know any of these - that Axl was a bigfan of AC/DC, of GN'R being influenced by AC/DC, or that AC/DC has been covered by several GN'R line-ups? If so, did any of those influence your opinion of Axl doing this?

The reason I ask is that while I have not been on any of the AC/DC forums for a long time (except for one almost defunct email group), I do still consider myself a hardcore AC/DC fan and I have always loved that Axl and GN'R have been influenced by them. I just want to know how that knowledge impacts hardcore AC/DC fans (who may not be or aren't hardcore GN'R fans) in the matter of Axl being the replacement frontman.

PS - I LOL'd at the bit about people being upset that Phil Rudd isn't in the band anymore, because that sort of thing reminds me not only of the many Guns fans who pine for ex-members, but also of the very loyal AC/DC fans who still pine for Mark Evans after almost 40 years.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Archer said:

Awesome post. Your feelings and opinions are totally welcome here I'm sure, because that's what the forums are for - it's only when opinions are delivered as fact that people on this board really take offense.

Just curious - were you a casual GN'R fan before you joined the board or a fan with above average interest who had never joined the boards because you didn't really feel or think of yourself as 'hardcore', but may have lurked around here. I only ask because you mentioned that you had tickets to the GN'R shows. Also, before the recordings of the band in rehearsal came out, did you know any of these - that Axl was a bigfan of AC/DC, of GN'R being influenced by AC/DC, or that AC/DC has been covered by several GN'R line-ups? If so, did any of those influence your opinion of Axl doing this?

The reason I ask is that while I have not been on any of the AC/DC forums for a long time (except for one almost defunct email group), I do still consider myself a hardcore AC/DC fan and I have always loved that Axl and GN'R have been influenced by them. I just want to know how that knowledge impacts hardcore AC/DC fans (who may not be or aren't hardcore GN'R fans) in the matter of Axl being the replacement frontman.

PS - I LOL'd at the bit about people being upset that Phil Rudd isn't in the band anymore, because that sort of thing reminds me not only of the many Guns fans who pine for ex-members, but also of the very loyal AC/DC fans who still pine for Mark Evans after almost 40 years.

Thanks! I'll try to answer your questions. Back in the original GNR days (I'm sure you guys have a name for it but I mean Appetite through UYI era), GNR was my second favorite band behind AC/DC. Appetite was and still is one of my four favorite albums ever - along with Back in Black, Powerage, and (I'm sure I'll get mocked but thats ok) Full Moon Fever. I remember having my father (I was 14 or so at the time) drive me to a record store for the midnight release of UYI and stayed up all night listening. So yeah, I was a pretty big fan. Mind you this was the pre-internet age so I won't say I know every little detail about them beyond what was published in magazines at the time, but I was into it. Once the core band (Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy - drummers don't do much for me) fell apart, I quickly and drastically lost interest. To be fair, it was also where I was at in life at the time - going off to college and my interest had shifted to more serious things like chasing girls and excessive partying and less on what Axl and Slash were up to. I never had an interest in the nuGNR lineups, and never saw them in concert. I downloaded Chinese Democracy at some point, listened to 2 or 3 tracks, decided I didn't like it, and never heard the rest. I probably will between now and the GNR show I'm going to in July. So the short answer is I would've considered myself a die hard GNR fan up until the mid-90s and then it just died. 

I didn't know Axl was a big AC/DC fan, but I had heard a few of the Rosie covers - some I liked, others I didn't, which from reading other parts of this website may have correlated to the up and down periods for Axl's voice. I probably checked out this website a couple times over the years but was never really lurking around; I joined the site after AXL/DC began. Axl being an AC/DC fan didn't really change my initial views of him becoming the (guest?...or maybe not) AC/DC singer because my feelings were more based on Brian leaving than Axl joining. In hindsight it is good to know Axl was always a fan, and this isn't a pure money grab on his part or a way to get his name out there to help move more GNR tickets. 

I know there's another thread here on it, but since it relates to your question, I was very impressed with how Axl carried himself in the BBC interview with Angus, very humble and actually funny. I really hope the gigs go well and am looking forward to seeing a few shows when they reschedule the US tour. Selfishly I hope that they reschedule them in the same order and MSG is the last gig of the tour, because I certainly don't think its a guarantee that AC/DC, with or without Axl, will necessarily tour again. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Thanks! I'll try to answer your questions. Back in the original GNR days (I'm sure you guys have a name for it but I mean Appetite through UYI era), GNR was my second favorite band behind AC/DC. Appetite was and still is one of my four favorite albums ever - along with Back in Black, Powerage, and (I'm sure I'll get mocked but thats ok) Full Moon Fever. I remember having my father (I was 14 or so at the time) drive me to a record store for the midnight release of UYI and stayed up all night listening. So yeah, I was a pretty big fan. Mind you this was the pre-internet age so I won't say I know every little detail about them beyond what was published in magazines at the time, but I was into it. Once the core band (Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy - drummers don't do much for me) fell apart, I quickly and drastically lost interest. To be fair, it was also where I was at in life at the time - going off to college and my interest had shifted to more serious things like chasing girls and excessive partying and less on what Axl and Slash were up to. I never had an interest in the nuGNR lineups, and never saw them in concert. I downloaded Chinese Democracy at some point, listened to 2 or 3 tracks, decided I didn't like it, and never heard the rest. I probably will between now and the GNR show I'm going to in July. So the short answer is I would've considered myself a die hard GNR fan up until the mid-90s and then it just died. 

I didn't know Axl was a big AC/DC fan, but I had heard a few of the Rosie covers - some I liked, others I didn't, which from reading other parts of this website may have correlated to the up and down periods for Axl's voice. I probably checked out this website a couple times over the years but was never really lurking around; I joined the site after AXL/DC began. Axl being an AC/DC fan didn't really change my initial views of him becoming the (guest?...or maybe not) AC/DC singer because my feelings were more based on Brian leaving than Axl joining. In hindsight it is good to know Axl was always a fan, and this isn't a pure money grab on his part or a way to get his name out there to help move more GNR tickets. 

I know there's another thread here on it, but since it relates to your question, I was very impressed with how Axl carried himself in the BBC interview with Angus, very humble and actually funny. I really hope the gigs go well and am looking forward to seeing a few shows when they reschedule the US tour. Selfishly I hope that they reschedule them in the same order and MSG is the last gig of the tour, because I certainly don't think its a guarantee that AC/DC, with or without Axl, will necessarily tour again. 

Very interesting. We're around the same age, so it's great to hear your perspective. 

Yes, Axl did seem really humble in that interview and genuinely happy and grateful to be part of this opportunity - it just goes to show Angus' and AC/DC's stature in the larger scheme of things and how the GN'R guys relate to them. I remember that Slash once said he was starstruck when Brian Johnson walked in on him wearing just a towel, to wish him luck, when he opened for AC/DC. Apparently, Izzy's also been a fan from the early days. As for the humor, Axl always could be funny and charming I guess, and he seems to have really been working his ass off to do well on this project. I really hope that the AC/DC fan base listen to him with an open mind. If anything, folks like you are a good example that he can win people over with good performances and some sincerity.

There's certainly no guarantee with AC/DC anymore, but I think that Angus is waiting to see how the next two legs of the tour go, before making up his mind.

Edited by The Archer

7 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Very interesting. We're around the same age, so it's great to hear your perspective. 

Yes, Axl did seem really humble in that interview and genuinely happy and grateful to be part of this opportunity - it just goes to show Angus' and AC/DC's stature in the larger scheme of things and how the GN'R guys relate to them. I remember that Slash once said he was starstruck when Brian Johnson walked in on him wearing just a towel, to wish him luck, when he opened for AC/DC. Apparently, Izzy's also been a fan from the early days. As for the humor, Axl always could be funny and charming I guess, and he seems to have really been working his ass off to do well on this project. I really hope that the AC/DC fan base listen to him with an open mind.

There's certainly no guarantee with AC/DC anymore, but I think that Angus is waiting to see how the next two legs of the tour go, before making up his mind.

You reminded me - I actually did see Slash open for GNR on their 1996 tour...totally forgot about that. I met Brian once and he was charming and friendly to me, as a random fan, so I could totally picture him being endearing to an opening act or other musicians. 

I think Axl will win most of the AC/DC fans over with some strong performances. You'll never please everybody though. (Especially the guys who have been missing Dave Evans since 1974 LOL)

Stupid question but is the GNR tour intended to be a full fledged band reunion - meaning are they back together as a full time band, with the idea that they will make new music, or is this a one off tour? 

1 minute ago, goneshootin said:

You reminded me - I actually did see Slash open for GNR on their 1996 tour...totally forgot about that. I met Brian once and he was charming and friendly to me, as a random fan, so I could totally picture him being endearing to an opening act or other musicians. 

I think Axl will win most of the AC/DC fans over with some strong performances. You'll never please everybody though. (Especially the guys who have been missing Dave Evans since 1974 LOL)

Stupid question but is the GNR tour intended to be a full fledged band reunion - meaning are they back together as a full time band, with the idea that they will make new music, or is this a one off tour? 

No real idea - as with many things in GN'R land, that is a mystery for now (and maybe for much longer than now). A lot of fans here are upset that GN'R isn't doing enough press or sharing enough information since Slash and Duff rejoined the band (You can read about this in the Discussion & News sections) In addition, the interest that Axl has shown in AC/DC (which has just taken on a new level with the recent interviews) is upsetting some, who haven't got an official GN'R interview in 5 years. New music would be great. A lot of us did like Chinese Democracy. During the wilderness years with the various CD lineups, Axl worked on a lot more music that is still in the vaults and some of us are eager to hear that - Slash has shown an openness to work on CD songs during the recent live performances, so there could be some interesting things happening there, if collaboration is on the cards. On the other hand, this stint with AC/DC may even push Axl to working with his bandmates on some all new traditional Rn'R music. But the truth is, no one really knows and not knowing has been a part of being a GN'R fan for a long, long time.

LOL@Dave Evans and his fans. That guy has been milking his original frontman status ever since Bon jumped out of the chauffeur's chair and knocked him off his perch. I heard that he too had offered himself as a replacement for Brian. Funny ( Despite what he said about giving all the interested parties a chance, I can't imagine that Angus entertained the idea of that audition).

3 minutes ago, The Archer said:

No real idea - as with many things in GN'R land, that is a mystery for now (and maybe for much longer than now). A lot of fans here are upset that GN'R isn't doing enough press or sharing enough information since Slash and Duff rejoined the band (You can read about this in the Discussion & News sections) In addition, the interest that Axl has shown in AC/DC (which has just taken on a new level with the recent interviews) is upsetting some, who haven't got an official GN'R interview in 5 years. New music would be great. A lot of us did like Chinese Democracy. During the wilderness years with the various CD lineups, Axl worked on a lot more music that is still in the vaults and some of us are eager to hear that - Slash has shown an openness to work on CD songs during the recent live performances, so there could be some interesting things happening there, if collaboration is on the cards. On the other hand, this stint with AC/DC may even push Axl to working with his bandmates on some all new traditional Rn'R music. But the truth is, no one really knows and not knowing has been a part of being a GN'R fan for a long, long time.

LOL@Dave Evans and his fans. That guy has been milking his original frontman status ever since Bon jumped out of the chauffeur's chair and knocked him off his perch. I heard that he too had offered himself as a replacement for Brian. Funny ( Despite what he said about giving all the interested parties a chance, I can't imagine that Angus entertained the idea of that audition).

Interesting, thanks for sharing this. I could see how it could be frustrating that he hasn't done any press until joining AC/DC (I didn't realize that). 

As to your other comment of Angus waiting to make up his mind on continuing, I agree, but I think theres more to it. If they just want to keep touring without a new album, thats easy enough to do pretty quickly, although they have just completed a world tour and hit most markets with the notable exception of South America. If they want to record an album and tour, that is a whole different story. Since The Razors Edge in 1990, they've released 5 albums (1995, 2001, 2008, 2014), so while they aren't on an Axl-like pace of one album in 15 years, they aren't just cranking it out quickly anymore either. For the sake of argument, lets say they have a new album even in 3 years... Angus will be 64, Cliff will be 69, and Chris Slade will be 72..as a drummer. Time clearly isn't on their side, and if Angus can't run around like a nut, their whole live show changes significantly. 

4 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Interesting, thanks for sharing this. I could see how it could be frustrating that he hasn't done any press until joining AC/DC (I didn't realize that). 

As to your other comment of Angus waiting to make up his mind on continuing, I agree, but I think theres more to it. If they just want to keep touring without a new album, thats easy enough to do pretty quickly, although they have just completed a world tour and hit most markets with the notable exception of South America. If they want to record an album and tour, that is a whole different story. Since The Razors Edge in 1990, they've released 5 albums (1995, 2001, 2008, 2014), so while they aren't on an Axl-like pace of one album in 15 years, they aren't just cranking it out quickly anymore either. For the sake of argument, lets say they have a new album even in 3 years... Angus will be 64, Cliff will be 69, and Chris Slade will be 72..as a drummer. Time clearly isn't on their side, and if Angus can't run around like a nut, their whole live show changes significantly. 

Yes, I'm aware. The wait both before and after SUL was dreadful. For some reason, this time it didn't seem as long. Also, time certainly isn't on their side. But I can understand why Angus would want to go down with one last hurrah though. It wouldn't do Axl and his reputation any bad either, to be AC/DC's last frontman. Even if it is just one album.

I thought the interview with Axl sounded great. He's being honest about not being able to replace Brian, but he'll do his best.

I commend him for taking this chance because he knows there will be some fans who will hate him for it, but hey, AC/DC are honoring their commitment to their fans to do these concerts. I'm sure if the band didn't want Axl to sing for them, he wouldn't be.

I read online yesterday that there's a doctor who says he can help Brian with his hearing problems. I hope this is true for Brian's sake. you know he has to be hurting not being about to perform onstage.

Also those tickets that were returned, I heard they were re-sold.

Axl is going to surprise everyone and get high praises once the AC/DC shows begin!