TSI - anyone else's 2nd fav?

Obv AFD is my GNR record but TSI is my 2nd fav album. Its their only album that captures the raw fun and punky spirit of GN'R (being a punk cover album helps this). it's not epic or deep but it's a nice refreshing treat to always listen to, just GN'R having fun which is rare and the songs they picked are obscure but cool to listen to. I love the UYI records but TSI is not only mixed a lot better, Matt also shines on TSI and Axl's voice is much better on TSI as well. My only complaint is Duff sings too many songs.But is it anyone else's 2nd fav GNR album?

no but im pretty upset they didn't put effort into a real album during this time

i think it could have been their best as everybody seemed to be reaching their peaks at this point

if only they didn't run Izzy away...he could have been played a great part in keeping everybody together not to mention a big writing force

I think part of the bad rap it gets (and some may not like the songs themselves, or the GNR versions - that's fine, their opinion and all) is because of its release. It was the last studio album of the original Guns, so you have comments like 'they're last album was a cover album', etc. Had things gone differently then it would be seen as exactly what it was meant to be - a stopgap before the new album was to come out. Take away the position as last studio release and it's a fun record of a band rocking out to some of their favourites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DIST said:

For me the sound of this album is the best of all. The mix everything I fucking love it.

I would agree with this, not even close to my favourite Guns album, but the production was brilliant. The guitars are huge on this record!

No, of the albums by (real) Guns N Roses I rank it last, alongside Live Era (if that counts).

It's an unimpressive and disjointed collection of songs in my opinion, they could have done a lot better.

FUCKING dreadful.  Since I Don't Have You is good...other than that it seems like they really punched above their fuckin' weight in the bands they tried to cover.  First of all, The Stooges, REALLY boys, you wanna cover the fuckin' Stooges?!?  You ain't fuckin' near bad enough to even touch the fuckin' Stooges.  Why would you do that, why would you even try, why would you even think you could fuck with that?  Stupid stupid stupid.  The only way you can cover The Stooges is if you are that inimitable that when you take em on you fuckin' make the song all your own, you do a straight rock n roll cover of The Stooges and you will fail.  And they did.  Awfully.  My God, it sounds so flat...Raw Power is like the greatest American rock n roll album ever made post the golden age of the 50s...and these dickheads just turned it into like...bullshit.

What else, New Rose, again, sounds too big and too fuckin' well produced, the power of New Rose was the simplicity and the dirtyness of the sound of it. 

Attitude, same as New Rose.  It may even be the drumming, you have to drum these songs really straightforward, because there's not a lot to em the littlest fuckin' elaborating on the original blueprint gives the song a kinda off quality.

Human Being, see this could've been a good shout, not that The Dolls are any less innimitable than the aforementioned but at least this song had a touch of what GnRs forte is...but they fucked it up again, sounds too grand and not loose enough.  Axls voice has a weird homogenizing quality with certain kinds of song that can make the nastiest fuckin' shit sound like...the worst kind of Eaglesy classic rock bullshit.  Not that he doesn't have a great voice that doesn't sound fantastic in many contexts but with a certain kind of straight ahead and simple song where the character of it is in the nuance he'll make it seems so by the numbers.

You Can't Put Your Arm Around a Memory sounds like fuckin' kareoke.

I Don't Care About You, i could actually give them some credit here, they really kinda nail the horrible attitude of the song. 

Ain't it Fun, again, just leave it alone boys, this ain't your fuckin' cup of tea.

Black Leather is actually kinda respectable.

Generally though, awful fuckin' album with 2 or 3 bright spots that carry it off.  Since I Don't Have You is sublime. 

Edited by Len B'stard

2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

The guitars are huge on this record!

And therein lies the problem.  How can you have such lack of fuckin' foresight and understanding of the dynamics of songs that you claim to be fans of?  I bet they thought they were gonna make em better than the originals, like thats what punk shit lacked, a budget :lol:  Nobheads.

5 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

And therein lies the problem.  How can you have such lack of fuckin' foresight and understanding of the dynamics of songs that you claim to be fans of?  I bet they thought they were gonna make em better than the originals, like thats what punk shit lacked, a budget :lol:  Nobheads.

If i'm not mistaken a fair chunk of this album was just GNR fucking around in the studio during the Illusions sessions with Gilby adding some parts after that tour. So no i don't think they were trying to make them sound better than the originals at all. TSI is an album released to recoup some of the money they lost on the tour, nothing more nothing less.

3 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

If i'm not mistaken a fair chunk of this album was just GNR fucking around in the studio during the Illusions sessions with Gilby adding some parts after that tour. So no i don't think they were trying to make them sound better than the originals at all. TSI is an album released to recoup some of the money they lost on the tour, nothing more nothing less.

Well thats odd because they'd been planning it for a good while, Axl was talking about that album pretty early on so it doesn't really follow with your assertion that it was to recoup losses from the tour.  And even if it was made in the studio whilst 'fucking around' it still doesn't dispute what I was saying because it don't take a lot to make those punk songs sound more professional and slick than they did simply because they were made in such restricted circumstances, if you're a big band like GnR in a big studio you can 'improve', that is to make try to make them more professional, those songs pretty easily, it doesn't require some kind of grand plan.

At any rate if they weren't trying to that makes em sound even more lacking in foresight.

Edited by Len B'stard

Down on the Farm, another one they fucked up.  That song was meant to be like an Idiot/Lust for Life era Iggy and Bowie type song, something that sounded like it was made on manic depressive drugs in keeping with the subject matter of the song and they just turned it into this loud rocker with Axl doing a shit English accent over the top.  I'm not saying they should've made it like the original but fuckin' hell, have a bit of imagination at least.  I suppose Axl adds a bit of silly charm to it so give em a bit of credit.

Edited by Len B'stard

There are some great tracks on that album, but I always found Since I Don't Have You a really random choice to cover. It's not a cohesive album, but do love many of the components. It's not an album GN'R should be ashamed of.

10 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Well thats odd because they'd been planning it for a good while, Axl was talking about that album pretty early on so it doesn't really follow with your assertion that it was to recoup losses from the tour.  And even if it was made in the studio whilst 'fucking around' it still doesn't dispute what I was saying because it don't take a lot to make those punk songs sound more professional and slick than they did simply because they were made in such restricted circumstances, if you're a big band like GnR in a big studio you can 'improve', that is to make try to make them more professional, those songs pretty easily, it doesn't require some kind of grand plan.

At any rate if they weren't trying to that makes em sound even more lacking in foresight.

From a production stand point it sounds exactly like Illusions, the drums, bass and Slash's tone. I think at that point the band weren't exactly a tight unit and willing to take the time to go for a totally different sound production wise, or take the time to really put their own spin on the originals. Of course i'm not in the band but it seems like a money grab/let's keep the fans happy till we figure out what the fuck we're gonna do next record.

Just now, Silverburst80 said:

From a production stand point it sounds exactly like Illusions, the drums, bass and Slash's tone. I think at that point the band weren't exactly a tight unit and willing to take the time to go for a totally different sound production wise, or take the time to really put their own spin on the originals. Of course i'm not in the band but it seems like a money grab/let's keep the fans happy till we figure out what the fuck we're gonna do next record.

Exactly that.  Does have it's moments though I suppose.  Just seems a bit of a swindle.  i mean it's one thing is a band has a healthy output and then just just slip one little album in there that's thrown together but when a band don't release but four albums in their entire lifespan and one of em is kind of a cash grab it kinda says something about the band.  Then again i love Nirvana and Incesticide was kinda slapped together too.  But then thats different because that was a way to get some B sides and demos out there on a proper release that there was an actual demand for.

2 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Exactly that.  Does have it's moments though I suppose.  Just seems a bit of a swindle.  i mean it's one thing is a band has a healthy output and then just just slip one little album in there that's thrown together but when a band don't release but four albums in their entire lifespan and one of em is kind of a cash grab it kinda says something about the band.  Then again i love Nirvana and Incesticide was kinda slapped together too.  But then thats different because that was a way to get some B sides and demos out there on a proper release that there was an actual demand for.

It has it's moments but it kind of perfectly sums up the band in 93, disjointed and bloated. Would of been recorded in the fanciest of studios where their every need was catered to when they would have done those songs more justice having been mic'ed up at the hell house after they'd woken up from a heroin binge in 86.