A Song of Ice and Fire Book Discussion

bran

1 minute ago, username said:

Not to be all negative nancy here, but the show basically caught up with the books by now. Doesn't it make more sense to keep it in one thread? 

there is enough differences plus some posters in the GOT didn't want to be spoiled by potential book talk so a couple of posters in the thread and privately contacted me about creating another book thread. we will see how it goes, it might be more interesting if martin ever releases TWOW

8 hours ago, username said:

Not to be all negative nancy here, but the show basically caught up with the books by now. Doesn't it make more sense to keep it in one thread? 

I can name several characters who'll get killed off this season and a certain

Spoiler

family.

The show hasn't caught up with the Arya/Iron Born storyline and the later half of the season will have certain characters randomly make massive U-turns into AFFC material.

So in other-words nope :P.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

So for those that read the books?

Any thoughts on;

1: Where's Benjen?

2: Will Stannis win the battle of ice and if so what next?

3: Will Tyrion betray Danny as per the prophecy?

4: Is someone other than Jamie the Valonqar?

5: Will Aegon sit on the throne before Danny gets to Westros?

6: What's in the Wintefell crypts that Mance wants?

7: Will Jon still march against Ramsay post resurrection or will he go to Hardhome?

8: Most importantly since, most of these questions seem like they'll be answered early on in the book (except perhaps Benjen/Valonqar)... what else actually happens?

Almost all if not all of the preview POV chapters, where chapters moved from the end of ADWD. The Winds of Winter was originally intended to be the final book.

Edited by AtariLegend

I gotta read these books again. There are so many details I forget. 

But I do remember that I had the impression that Benjen 

Spoiler

was the white walker (? He was cold and all, but was nice) that helped Bran on the way to the Three-eyed raven. 

But as I said, I've got to read them again.

• Like 1

Their's a draft copy of the ADWD manuscript in a library in George's hometown or wherever. It has some notes by George (including notes on removed chapters) and his editor who wrote a few questions on some pages for example... straight up asking something along the lines of "Is this Benjen?" *Paraphrasing* in reference to Coldhands, George wrote beside her question "NO".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

GRRM actually confirmed that a major character is "Alive beyond doubt" In The Winds of Winter.

Referring to Stannis?

10 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

So for those that read the books?

Any thoughts on;

1: Where's Benjen?

2: Will Stannis win the battle of ice and if so what next?

3: Will Tyrion betray Danny as per the prophecy?

4: Is someone other than Jamie the Valonqar?

5: Will Aegon sit on the throne before Danny gets to Westros?

6: What's in the Wintefell crypts that Mance wants?

7: Will Jon still march against Ramsay post resurrection or will he go to Hardhome?

8: Most importantly since, most of these questions seem like they'll be answered early on in the book (except perhaps Benjen/Valonqar)... what else actually happens?

Almost all if not all of the preview POV chapters, where chapters moved from the end of ADWD. The Winds of Winter was originally intended to be the final book.

Benjen is... fuck knows. Thenn? Dead? Drinking a pina colada on the shores of Pentos? We do know he's not Coldhands. If there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster in this world, Stannis will win the battle, take back the north, install Rickon as ruler when Davos finds him, unite Westeros (through conquest some of it, Dornish help from the south) against the Lannisters (not sure where the Tyrells would fall in that), and complete the alliance with the Wildlings to fuck up the Walkers. 0% chance of that happening with GRRM writing though.

I feel like the "Aegon problem" is going to take care of itself somehow. Just too many questions and too different of a geopolitical atmosphere on Westeros (than 15 years ago when Targaryen's ruled) for him to get what he wants IMO. 

#7 is the biggest question for me. For #8, we know some Riverlands/Jamie/Stoneheart stuff has to happen. Maybe zombie Mountain vs. zombie Hound trial by combat too?

5 hours ago, Deb Rose said:

I gotta read these books again. There are so many details I forget. 

But I do remember that I had the impression that Benjen 

Reveal hidden contents

was the white walker (? He was cold and all, but was nice) that helped Bran on the way to the Three-eyed raven. 

But as I said, I've got to read them again.

I'm definitely going to at least reread Dance, but I want a TWOW release date before I do that... I don't want to reread Dance only to have to wait 9 months for TWOW.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Yes. Stannis lives.

he needs to be around to lead the battle against the others. I think benjen is doing some kind of recon mission behind enemy lines.

17 hours ago, bran said:

he needs to be around to lead the battle against the others. I think benjen is doing some kind of recon mission behind enemy lines.

I still think Mel's the one who burns Shireen thinking that Stannis is dead and that resurrects Jon in the books. That said, the major Stannis fan theories range from him ending up as the 1000th lord commander of the night's watch after he's lost everything to him becoming a version of a modern day Night's King (based upon him having the Dreadfort rebuilt for his family). I'm not sure about the latter, but George isn't going to put in those stories about the Dreadfort for nothing.

I still think though the most likely scenario is him losing to a vengeful Danny in a second battle of the trident. I really don't see this story ending with all the major book characters teaming up like the Avengers against The Others. It makes no sense.

23 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Maybe zombie Mountain vs. zombie Hound trial by combat too?

The Hound isn't dead though :P. I do think they'll fight, just not at that point since the Trial by Combat will probably happen early in the book and we only got introduced to Robert Strong near the end of ADWD. It's not like George is going introduce a plot device with a big back story only to kill it off soon after, I mean Oberyn at least had... oh wait.

Remember Bran's dream in the first book? About the 3 shadows?

"He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armoured like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armour made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood." 

I like the idea of it taking both Jamie and The Hound to defeat Robert Strong.

Oh some extra tinfoil too. The Hound is also a little brother and the valonqar prophecy never said anything about it being Cerseri's little brother that'd kill her :book:.

Edited by AtariLegend
It's the Dreadfort, not the Nightfort!
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I'm definitely going to at least reread Dance, but I want a TWOW release date before I do that... I don't want to reread Dance only to have to wait 9 months for TWOW.

I'm going to reread all of them. But I gotta finish Stephen King's IT before that. And that's taking long. So I'm hoping that by the time I get to the end of Dance, TWOW will be out.

Edited by Deb Rose
I had more things to say.

Stannis would be going up against not only Dany, but also the supposed Aegon VI who has landed in Westeroes by the end of Dance with the Golden Company. I do like that Stannis being Lord Commander theory. I think the only reason he wants to be King because of law of inheritance, but once he learns that a Targaryan, a sane Targaryan has landed and announced his intention to take the Iron Throne he might give up his claim. 

I still don't see Dany going to Westeroes, I think she will give up to Aegon VI and remain in Essos. She seems to be growing mad though. Tyrion is also going into dark, dark places.

I think Danny will make it to Westros, before the end of TWOW via Victarion's ships. It might sense and have things fit together if she doesn't sweep in at the end and it would be brave, but let's be honest... it would not be satisfying.

I'm fairly certain though that she'll die before she ever sits on the throne, if their even is a throne left. 

To me the most satisfying ending would be Jon, the Starks and the north vs. Danny who sweeps in to claim her birthright from the good guys after The Others have already been defeated. With her of course believing that she's some kind of hero coming to defeat the bad guys.

9 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

New chapter out from GRRM, I think it's an Arianne one. 

Guess this means we aren't seeing TWOW any time soon.

It's a chapter he read a few years ago at book reading/conventions. It's been online since, but never via George himself.

It's safe to say he's pointing out that show Dorne/book Dorne are nothing alike without spoiling anything.

He did though release a new Sansa chapter (that was apparently wrote years previously) just before season 5 aired. I wonder why :P. ?

I doubt we will get The Winds of the Winter by the end of the year. Next year is a possibility. If you notice the release date of each book the gap between the years expands

A Game of Thrones (1996)

A Clash of Kings (1998)

A Storm of Swords (2000)

A Feast for Crows (2005)

A Dance with Dragons (2011)

So I would put The Winds of Winter around a 2017/2018 release date. A Dream of Spring might come down around no later than 2029. Unless George is certain that he is ready to finish the series. 

Look at it this way. George is taking is time to make sure his books end naturally unlike the creators of the show who are just ruthlessly slashing storylines and characters to make sure the series ends by next Spring. 

George has suggested he's only a few months away for the past 2 years.. which sounds familiar?

Anyway I think there's a few things that go in ADOS's favour. George said there'll be less POV characters in the future, because there's going to more POV characters in the same place and other's won't make it.

In slaver's bay by the end of ADWD there's Victarion, Selmy and Tyrion with Danny not too far away at least all converging on the same location.

At the Crofter's Village there's Theon, Asha along with a certain non POV major character called Stannis. MAJOR TWOW SPOILER if you haven't read the Theon preview chapter;

Spoiler

Bran/Bloodraven are obviously the birds too.

Should be noted that whatever happens in slaver's bay and the battle at crofter's village, it was all wrote years ago and intended to be part of the ending for ADWD.

None of the chapters that were released, seem to be from when he actually started writing TWOW. Which could be a good thing as far as misdirection.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 2:49 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

I doubt we will get The Winds of the Winter by the end of the year. Next year is a possibility. If you notice the release date of each book the gap between the years expands

A Game of Thrones (1996)

A Clash of Kings (1998)

A Storm of Swords (2000)

A Feast for Crows (2005)

A Dance with Dragons (2011)

So I would put The Winds of Winter around a 2017/2018 release date. A Dream of Spring might come down around no later than 2029. Unless George is certain that he is ready to finish the series. 

Look at it this way. George is taking is time to make sure his books end naturally unlike the creators of the show who are just ruthlessly slashing storylines and characters to make sure the series ends by next Spring. 

He also supposedly wrote a book after ASOS when he was intending for their to be a 5 year gap then scrapped most of it :scared:, because he didn't think it made sense for not too much to have happened in the years in between with the story. That's when he started writing AFFC/ADWD.

I think I read the preview TWOW Arya (and Sansa?) chapters were wrote originally when the 5 year gap was intended.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 3 weeks later...

He mentioned that as his biggest regret I believe a few years back.

Some TWOW news; I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU READ IT!

George finally read a new chapter from the book, an Aeron chapter (that he wrote in 2010/cut from ADWD). I'm not going to go into too many specifics since I haven't read it in full myself, but from what I have read (AND MAJOR TWOW SPOILERS YOU MIGHT WANT TO AVOID!!!)...

Spoiler

their's enough to feed more fan theories about Euron (supposedly he has a suit of Black Valyrian Armour) and Aeron has a vision of the gods dead/impaled on a metal throne.

The Black Armour though is similar to a certain dream Jon has :book:.

This should be very early on in the book btw, since it was intended to included in ADWD originally.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 7 months later...

You really think statements like that would make a difference? Ah, you sweet summer child. I have years of experience with this that tells me otherwise.

But okay, I will try it your way.

Not done yet, but I’ve made progress. But not as much as I hoped a year ago, when I thought to be done by now.

I think it will be out this year. (But hey, I thought the same thing last year).

Sourcehttp://watchersonthewall.com/george-r-r-martin-thinks-winds-winter-will-year/#more-87313

I'm convinced it's my fault, really. Everything I love takes a fuck ton of time. Axl doesn't release music, George doesn't release books, Michael Jackson took forever to release music too, and to tour, and then of course he died when he announced one. So, I'm sorry you all. I'm going to try to love Bieber now, see if he disappears for a while. :lol: :P