Favorite GN'R drummer

Who's your favorite?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love the work of Sorum on all 91-92-93 tour. 

Adler in the early days to 1990 played perfect too.

On the."new" era (1999-2015)... really.dont mind who play drums in GnR, because all the guys were new... so whatever.

Now... in the resurrection era (hehe) GnR have to call the best of the past again!!! Please FF... QUIT!!

• Like 2

I listened to the second Vegas boot and didn't mind Frank so much. He is very fast and heavy handed (e.g. that opening roll of 'It's so Easy') - often, at times, it feels like Guns backed by a thrash metal drummer - but I rather got used to it and adjusted to his style.

Brain - he could play loose as Adler on the AFD and Lies material and as precise as Matt on UYI. His drumming on Chinese is fantastic (and should be way higher in the mix). Second best option would be to get Stevie do the AFD and Lies and Matt UYI and Chinese. Third option would be to get somebody new, it almost could not be worse than Frank.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kok said:

Brain - he could play loose as Adler on the AFD and Lies material and as precise as Matt on UYI. His drumming on Chinese is fantastic (and should be way higher in the mix). Second best option would be to get Stevie do the AFD and Lies and Matt UYI and Chinese. Third option would be to get somebody new, it almost could not be worse than Frank.

These are all fantastic ideas... I was never a fan of the alternate drummer idea before but now I feel Adler/Sorum would be perfect and could really work.. If Steven blows it then you know Matt could pick up the slack flawlessly. 

Not against Brain either.. I am not overly familiar with him but did used to play that 2001 RIR bootleg quite a bit when it came out and never really noticed the drums negatively effecting anything like the current situation.  It is bad.. They have some time so hopefully they figure something out. 

Yea but Brain like Bucket & Finck left because of the inactivity. Real top notch musicians like to make new music, record and tour.

Matt or Brain would be awesome. Adler is a pipe dream unless they alternate like kok said or do an AFD30 next year with izzy!

On 5/6/2016 at 6:42 AM, Powerage5 said:

For me it's Frank. He's really got both ends of the spectrum covered; he's got the great, laid back groove of Adler, but he also plays with the power and intensity of Matt.

Ummmmmmmm...... No he doesn't. 

• Like 4

Voted for Steven Popcorn Adler. Sorum is good too.

I love Brain and he might actually be the best drummer out the whole bunch, but as far as GNR go it should be Adler or Sorum.

On 5/10/2016 at 0:31 PM, kok said:

So do you play all the AFD songs in a row are do we have drummers tagging in and out all night? Does paying 2 or 3 drummers make sense? Multiple drummers, back-up drummers, sober coaches or whatever it takes to ensure Adler doesn't blow the tour really seems like more trouble that it's worth when you can get one reliable guy to do the job.

On 5/6/2016 at 10:49 AM, Powerage5 said:

On a technical level Brain was certainly the best, but I don't think he was ever a particularly good fit for GN'R. I like him, just not in Guns.

I think he fit with the 2002 band but he would be out of place now. IMO Brian was the best but frank was the best choice for the reunion.

• Like 1

Adler, Matt... Brain sucks live much more than Frank... while he is in studio great... Frank on the other hand in studio I got no idea... Just look at that pathetic Brain drum pattern at the beginning of MR Brownstone at Rock in RIo Lisboa... Someone prove me otherwise that Brain is as good live as he is in studio...I dont get the hype regarding him...

Edited by scooby845

15 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Adler, Matt... Brain sucks live much more than Frank... while he is in studio great... Frank on the other hand in studio I got no idea... Just look at that pathetic Brain drum pattern at the beginning of MR Brownstone at Rock in RIo Lisboa... Someone prove me otherwise that Brain is as good live as he is in studio...I dont get the hype regarding him...

He changed things around like buckethead did. Axl was (at the time) trying to reinvent the songs, not cover them note for note.

59 minutes ago, MattElias said:

Matt Sorum, definitely. His drumming on UYI is excellent, and also his work on The Cult's Sonic Temple is simply superb.

Sorum doesn't actually play on Sonic Temple. That's Mickey Curry.

• Like 1

I always consistently liked sorum and brain over everybody. They were the biggest names and probably the most talented. But it's hard not to include Adler or argue that his drumming on appetite was perfect for that record and set the tone.

I will agree that out of all of them Frank is the worst. Frank is someone I can live with. But just becoming a fan post 2002/2004 still doesn't make Frank a better drummer, it just makes him easier to accept because of being less attached to others. 

Steven Adler all day and all night!

Matt is a good drummer and I like him more in Velvet Revolver

I don't know and don't care about the others mentioned.  I couldn't have told you who has drummed or played guitar in the "band" since 1996, until recently.

Steven of course. No one has Adler's groove and no one but him can bring that chemistry and energy to the band that made them Guns N' Roses. It's not really GNR without him, even if he's not as technical or skilled as the other guys. That groove, that push and pull with Duff, it's simple and it's nasty and it makes you go "Yeeeah, now that's RNFNR!".

Second would be Matt - while he doesn't have Adler's swing and he was obsessed with snares during the Illusion days, his bombastic drumming is exactly what the band needed for the stadiums, power ballads and masterpieces like Coma and Locomotive. He really does drum like a machine gun and is a really stable and talented guy (especially in VR).

Brain is amazing outside of Guns and does well on the CD stuff, but that's no longer GNR to me, so... It's like judging that Snape lookalike that plays for Slash - plays the material well, but isn't a Guns drummer.

And Frank. Oh, God, Axl, please in the name of all that is holy, do what you do best - drive him out of the band. He does not fit in at all with the current lineup. This isn't NuGuns anymore, you can't play fucking techno-industrial-whatever BS with Slash and Duff. He's completely destroyed Rocket Queen, YCBM, November Rain, Don't Cry, Estranged and let's not even begin to talk about DTJ. I only like him on Jungle and It's so easy, the rest are meh.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MattElias said:

Matt Sorum, definitely. His drumming on UYI is excellent, and also his work on The Cult's Sonic Temple is simply superb.

Matt wasn't on Sonic Temple.. He was only their touring drummer. 

30 minutes ago, nonok said:

And Frank. Oh, God, Axl, please in the name of all that is holy, do what you do best - drive him out of the band. He does not fit in at all with the current lineup. This isn't NuGuns anymore, you can't play fucking techno-industrial-whatever BS with Slash and Duff. He's completely destroyed Rocket Queen, YCBM, November Rain, Don't Cry, Estranged and let's not even begin to talk about DTJ. I only like him on Jungle and It's so easy, the rest are meh.

This is awesome... I tried watching some videos from the latest shows again last night.  I actually was doing other stuff and tried just listening.. Just not that good.. Frank needs to go... ASAP.

I feel like there are only a handful of songs that they really pull off well.. So unfortunate...