Axl and the lack of new material

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Neil went from electronica to fifties revivalism, from country to blues, in the space of about eight years. Even during his '70s heyday he switched, moving between grungy jam albums with Crazy Horse, to country-rock songwritery albums like Harvest and Comes A Time. And in his old age he occasionally does those odd albums like Are You Passionate? (Stax soul).

His record company actually sued him for not sounding like Neil Young. That pretty much says it all.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Slash and Duff touching CD II material is sacrosanct. 

Bumblefoot and Frank's contributions to CD were generally awful. 

My bet is CD II stays in the vault, unfortunately, and if they record new music, it'll be entirely new from this new band. I doubt the record company wants an intermediary release to undercut their profits should it fail, unless they know the big enchilada is on it's way shortly thereafter.

What I've thought is that the CD era material might break into two distinct categories. Bucket, Finck songs etc, then there's Axl's songs. Axl's songs could be used but bring in Slash and Duff material in place of Bucket and Finck material. 

We know Fortus was working on old Slash material and Fortus was writing after the main CD writing was done. 

The negatives are that lyrically maybe a lot of CD era is redundant. Maybe there are songs about things other than Slash i don't know. 

Let's say the CD II myth track titles confied by Axl in chats are real. 

The General

Atlas Shrugged

Soul Monster

Thyme

Seven

Berlin

Ides of March

A few of those are Beltrami tracks. Basically Axl epics like Catcher, SOD, Madagascar, TWAT. They are going to use them in my opinion. 

So we got 7 tracks there. Axl's contribution. 

But then there's the Fortus/Slash song. 

We are only 4 songs from an album. 

2 Slash rockers with Axl on vocals. 

2 Duff songs. 

And then add Down by the Ocean the fabled Izzy track. 

So I don't think it's far off. 

And again we have to remember Slash not write every song on AFD or UYI. Far from it. So the label are n't going to care that Slash doesnt write everysong. 

There's nothing to wait for

other than 4 new tracks from Slash and Duff and Slash to record the guitar parts again. Maybe Duff plays bass on some. But Frank and Fortus, even Pitman have laid down the ground work. 

Why throwaway 6 Axl songs just because Slash wasn't there when he wrote them. Only to then write 6 new songs. 

Slash either just need to go in and record this stuff or he has done already. 

But I don't think it's this mountain they have to climb. Slash just needs a chopper to the summit to put the flag at the top. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I don't follow exactly what you're saying.

Are you saying remove the former players from the "Axl songs" and use Duff and Slash exclusively? 

Or are you saying just grab the "Axl songs" from the CD sessions and then add some other songs that feature Slash and Duff? Like a little New GN'R and a little Classic GN'R type of record?

Well how new Guns are SOD, Catcher, Twat, Madagascar, TIL? I'm someone who thinks they are UYI 3 material. The main diff is Bucket and Finck on solos and of course the 90s production, trip hop loops etc. 

So I think yes, take Axl songs (why write new ones?) add Slash on lead. 

then take some Fortus matetial or CD era rockers that work. Add Slash on lead. 

Then 5-7 new songs. Slash and Duff with Frank and Fortus, Dizzy and Axl. 

They could re-record all the songs but why? Are we saying Brain's drums are bad? Or that Tommy's bass was bad?

the main thing is Slash on lead and Axl on vocals. 

But sure if fans need it, have Frank, Duff and Slash redo everything. We'll get some new and some old Axl vocals. 

What weve seen from the shows is die hards and purists don't really matter. 

So...just speculation. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I'll be in the minority but the idea of Slash re-playing stuff guitar work originally played and written by Finck or Buckethead doesn't sit well with me. Just mix and master CD II and probably CD III and release the fucker.

Whether Axl sees this as kosher is another thing. Call me old fashioned but I just want that music how it originally was played, unadulterated. I don't care if they haven't been in the band for 10 years. 

Axl is like George Lucas. He wants you to experience my music in line with his vision. To him, the original cut of Star Wars doesn't exist. But we all know that's the best version. Sorry Axl, Han shot first and those Rontos and Dewbacks are crowding the scene. 

Maybe take is Axl will decide on his songs. He wanted Slash for 3 CD era songs. Slash has re-jigged CD songs live already. I look at the evidence and see where it points. 

On balance I'd say given the situation I expect Axl to keep music he likes at this point. Asking Slash to write and record 7 new GNR songs in the next decade is a lot already.

If Izzy returns then that changes everything, they need to start fresh on that. 

But this is the Axl n Slash album. 7 Guns, 7 Roses. 7. But why not 7 CD II tracks untouched by Slash, and 7 new tracks from Slash/Axl. I just think they will blend them so it's not Axl v Slash. 

Seven.

Edited by wasted
Go
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, wasted said:

CD II is done and there's 3 albums of material. 

We would hear if Slash went into studio for GNR? 

Wasn't there heavy rumours of Slash & Duff in the studio working on some ChiDem rejects?

And do you really believe that CD II is done and another 3 albums? Theres probably about 50 instrumentals, 65 versions of Oh My God, about 10 cast offs and the entire re-recorded discography. I do hope we get some more leaks of the stuff in whatever stage it got to.

2 minutes ago, life_247 said:

Wasn't there heavy rumours of Slash & Duff in the studio working on some ChiDem rejects?

And do you really believe that CD II is done and another 3 albums? Theres probably about 50 instrumentals, 65 versions of Oh My God, about 10 cast offs and the entire re-recorded discography. I do hope we get some more leaks of the stuff in whatever stage it got to.

Axl said CD II was finished at the same time CD was. And there's a remix cd. 

But Fortus also said there's 3 slbums of "material"

so I was really saying given the info we know, it's hard to say. 

It all comes down to what will work businesswise. With Slash back releasing CD II without him I'm assuming is suicide. But there must be Axl material on their worth hearing. So why not take some of it and add new Slash material. Maybe get Slash on some CD material. Get Axl on some Slash songs. (Re-mix it if needed)

• Like 1

Why not just do a solid for the Millions of fans that have supported him for years and some dor decades? Share music with your fans. 

Feel free to save the best 4-5 CD2 and CD3 songs.

But then release both CD2 and CD3 and the remix album on ITunes. Make a special edition run of 100,000 disc copies and sell them as a special edition 3-pack for those how want a physical copy in their hands. Everybody involved will make money. Do that in time for the next leg of the tour. 

As soon as this regrouping tour is over, take the 4/5 songs that Axl saved (the general, Soulmonster) and hit the studio with Izzy, Slash and Duff and wrote and record a new album. Release the sonofabitch to correspond with the 2017 reunion tour. 

Somebody replace Lebies management with Apollo.

I would personally, preceding this tour so now basically, create two songs and release them on soundtracks or as a single. Then play those two songs on the upcoming tour. That would have the added effect of making this reunion feel not just another nostalgic cash-grab basically and give the fans some new material to listen to throughout the period, waiting for their show to occur. Whether those songs would be newly written by Messrs. Axl, Slash and Duff, or something salvaged from CD2, I have no idea as we do not know what Axl has locked away in that vault of his, however the former would be preferable.

Then when the tour is over they can begin to think of recording a full -blooded GN'R album.

38 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would personally, preceding this tour so now basically, create two songs and release them on soundtracks or as a single. Then play those two songs on the upcoming tour. That would have the added effect of making this reunion feel not just another nostalgic cash-grab basically and give the fans some new material to listen to throughout the period, waiting for their show to occur. Whether those songs would be newly written by Messrs. Axl, Slash and Duff, or something salvaged from CD2, I have no idea as we do not know what Axl has locked away in that vault of his, however the former would be preferable.

Then when the tour is over they can begin to think of recording a full -blooded GN'R album.

See I think this is a good point. I'm not one to think I'm entitled to anything in regards to new music, but Guns N Roses has a history of great music. They are legends of industry. It's hard to believe there isn't 1 song somewhere that's ready to go. Or could be ready to go. Wouldn't that only enhance the perception? They have a lot of catchy jams, I'm sure they've got 1 more. 

But that doesn't seem to be the case. It's probably a lot murkier label wise than any of us realize though.  I'm only a fan and can only speak from this point of view, but this doesn't seem to be asking a lot and it's disappointing we really have nothing to look forward to new music wise.

Doesn't Nic Cage need a soundtrack for a movie or something? Somewhere? 

My Guns N Roses itunes playlist has 99 songs because they kept look at your game girl as a hidden track. Sympathy for the Devil included. Throw me a bone.

But alas I'm seeing them in August. They are playing Coma. Slash and Axl are back. Today was pay day. I'm really into War Pigs right now. The world is ok.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Agreed 100%!!!

A couple new tunes and we are fuckin good to go...

On 5/19/2016 at 11:17 AM, Len B'stard said:

Guns n Roses are built on a back catalogue, thats what all the fuss is about, THOSE songs, you think they're gonna come out of the fuckin' traps with new matierial, it'd be suicide.  I mean this is about the bottom line end of the day, money, this band ain't been together for fuckin' ages (and still ain't fully), it's your bad luck as hardcore fans that you've been paying attention to NuGnR cuz the rest of the fuckin' world hasn't so you're sitting here, having listened to the old shit with a smattering of Chi Dem having been toured around since, what, 06, the rest of the world hasn't, in a commercial sense they're back together now, this is ground zero, you think a month in they're suddenly gonna be, in their 50s remember, givin' it all that about 'OK, so we got a new album coming out, blah-di-blah', fuck no. 

Look at the way this is being marketed, look at the troubadour set up, that museum thing, the references to the past, the pictures of those scrubbers in the crusty toilet, this is being marketed to you as the return of THAT OLD THING, and thats what you're gonna get for a good while yet, and remember this is a month in, with a band with whom relations have been pretty fuckin' hairy for the last quarter of a century.  IF you're gonna get new matierial, and I'm saying IF, you should look to hang onto your hats for at least two years or so.  I mean they got a tour going on now right, dates booked?  Whens that ending (i have no idea when that is) but OK, if it's a year, they ain't gonna fuckin' record on the road, sink money into making an album when there's a chance they might not even make it out of the end of the tour as friends.  And then what, another 18 months sticking an album together, IF you're gonna get on...and thats me being seriously fuckin' generous when taking into account how slow this band fuckin' works.  So yeah, point being, IF you are getting new music it ain't gonna be no time soon and the chances are if nothings been announced it's because there ain't shit to be announced.

I'm still pinning my hopes on the sheer fact that Slash is pretty fucking quiet at the moment (at a time when the Conspirators were supposed to be recording). That guy NEVER stops working and if he's not working on his solo album I'm gonna take a stab that he's polishing up some already recorded Axl songs. 

I think once the stadium tour starts that's when they will play new songs and announce the album is coming. 

My guess is that that it will be CD era material if not CD II another album culled from that time but with new Slash/Duff material. Ideally Frank, Duff re-record everything, Fortus seems to have been involved for years. And Slash will add his leads. Axl's vocals might be from 2002 and he might add new vocals. The album will not be unlike CD in that they had 7 songs then added Shackler's, If the World, Scraped, Sorry, TIL in 2004-6. 

So here we are again with 7 tracks. 

1. The General

2. Berlin

3. Soulmonster

4. Atlas Shrugged

5. Thyme

6. Down By the Ocean

7. Seven

then they add 5 new tracks

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wasted said:

You're right there were rumors. Slash could have been recording what they got. Then on the road was doing new stuff. 

They must be close. 

Lol. The "rumors" we're just fans on the forum speculating on what might be happening. Or hoping that Slash would add his touches. 

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would love that. But would get fired real quick as I don't suck up or kiss ass. Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time. But at the end of the day he is just another dude like the rest of us. Celeb worship is f*cking weird as hell. So Axl would probably fire me within a month. 

*Release CD 2/3 (minus 5 best songs) and remix albums on ITunes and as a special edition CD pack - before the regrouping tour starts again. 

*Axl does one full length big interview with Rolling Stone - at start of regrouping tour.

*Gnr plays three new songs during regrouping tour. They can rotate them each show. I would go with one song written in the last month. One song from CD 2/3. And make the third one something cool - like Crash Diet.  

* November release live concert DVD / CD from AC/DC shows  

* December release live concert DVD (troubadour or the Vegas shows) and documentary on how the regrouping happened. It would include interviews with everybody in the band, back stage and behind the scenes footage.

May - new album. Best 5 songs from CD2/3 like The General and Soulmonster. Plus eight songs written by the current band, which includes Izzy and Adler.

May - Original line up goes on world tour. 

Tour for a year. 

December: Axl opens up the old concert vault. We know they pro shot most of the illusions tour. Charge fans a buck or two per show. Make every show available.

April the world tour ends  

December - Box set is released 

Includes:

*Axl autobiography  

* The Illusions documentary stuff that never came out  

*DVD of the last tour

*live CD from last tour

*Documentary of reunion tour 

*Greatest hits, remastered.

*Album with three brand new songs. Plus studio versions of old unreleased songs. Just another Sunday. Crash Diet. Cornchucker. Axl singing Set me free and fall to pieces. Hell throw a couple covers on it. The seeker. Back in Black. Just a fun and eclectic mishmash.

Random box sets would include special prizes. Like lunch at Axl's mansion. Free tickets to the next tour. The next album would be named after your last name. A three day Harley rising trip with Duff and Izzy. Get several cool prizes like that.  

June - New album and world tour.

December - Axl Rose solo album, featuring Izzy Stradlin on accoustic guitar - which is basically his Elton John - Queen - Neil Young album and piano tour.  Do a small venue tour which is just Axl on the piano and Izzy on an accoustic guitar. 

Finish Piano tour. Record a couple songs for Slash's horror movie soundtrack.  Then go home and relax for the next 12 months.

Summer. 

Surprise the world by releasing an album with new band. Band consists of the hungriest, sleaziest and most talented 20-25 year old musicians he can find. (basically the GnR boys of today).  

Hold a Guns N' Roses Festival. Three days of the greatest rock bands alive.  GnR would close day three with the last official GnR performance (retiring the band).

Axl would play day one with a set with his young kids band.

Axl would play day two with A set featuring songs from his Izzy tour. 

And the three days would be filled with all the bands associated to GnR and hard rock music during GnR's run. So you would have everybody from Rolling Stones to Aerosmith to Bach to Michael Moore to Metallica to AC/DC. Fill out the lineup with a few of the old bands like LA Guns and Alice in Chains and The Cult. 

It would be the greatest rock festival in history since Woodstock. Capped off by GnR's final performance.

After that I would quit and let another manager take over.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I would love that. But would get fired real quick as I don't suck up or kiss ass. Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time. But at the end of the day he is just another dude like the rest of us. Celeb worship is f*cking weird as hell. So Axl would probably fire me within a month. 

*Release CD 2/3 (minus 5 best songs) and remix albums on ITunes and as a special edition CD pack - before the regrouping tour starts again. 

*Axl does one full length big interview with Rolling Stone - at start of regrouping tour.

*Gnr plays three new songs during regrouping tour. They can rotate them each show. I would go with one song written in the last month. One song from CD 2/3. And make the third one something cool - like Crash Diet.  

* November release live concert DVD / CD from AC/DC shows  

* December release live concert DVD (troubadour or the Vegas shows) and documentary on how the regrouping happened. It would include interviews with everybody in the band, back stage and behind the scenes footage.

May - new album. Best 5 songs from CD2/3 like The General and Soulmonster. Plus eight songs written by the current band, which includes Izzy and Adler.

May - Original line up goes on world tour. 

Tour for a year. 

December: Axl opens up the old concert vault. We know they pro shot most of the illusions tour. Charge fans a buck or two per show. Make every show available.

April the world tour ends  

December - Box set is released 

Includes:

*Axl autobiography  

* The Illusions documentary stuff that never came out  

*DVD of the last tour

*live CD from last tour

*Documentary of reunion tour 

*Greatest hits, remastered.

*Album with three brand new songs. Plus studio versions of old unreleased songs. Just another Sunday. Crash Diet. Cornchucker. Axl singing Set me free and fall to pieces. Hell throw a couple covers on it. The seeker. Back in Black. Just a fun and eclectic mishmash.

Random box sets would include special prizes. Like lunch at Axl's mansion. Free tickets to the next tour. The next album would be named after your last name. A three day Harley rising trip with Duff and Izzy. Get several cool prizes like that.  

June - New album and world tour.

December - Axl Rose solo album, featuring Izzy Stradlin on accoustic guitar - which is basically his Elton John - Queen - Neil Young album and piano tour.  Do a small venue tour which is just Axl on the piano and Izzy on an accoustic guitar. 

Finish Piano tour. Record a couple songs for Slash's horror movie soundtrack.  Then go home and relax for the next 12 months.

Summer. 

Surprise the world by releasing an album with new band. Band consists of the hungriest, sleaziest and most talented 20-25 year old musicians he can find. (basically the GnR boys of today).  

Hold a Guns N' Roses Festival. Three days of the greatest rock bands alive.  GnR would close day three with the last official GnR performance (retiring the band).

Axl would play day one with a set with his young kids band.

Axl would play day two with A set featuring songs from his Izzy tour. 

And the three days would be filled with all the bands associated to GnR and hard rock music during GnR's run. So you would have everybody from Rolling Stones to Aerosmith to Bach to Michael Moore to Metallica to AC/DC. Fill out the lineup with a few of the old bands like LA Guns and Alice in Chains and The Cult. 

It would be the greatest rock festival in history since Woodstock. Capped off by GnR's final performance.

After that I would quit and let another manager take over.

All nice fantasies but it's also important to like work with the lunacy we have. What's realistic. That seems realistic to a normally prolific band, not Guns and certainly not Axl, but I guess it's possible.

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

Lol. The "rumors" we're just fans on the forum speculating on what might be happening. Or hoping that Slash would add his touches. 

No it was a promoter or some industry douchebag who predicted everything right. But we were so busy getting wet about the reality of it happening we forgot all about it. Those mofos knew. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

The most disappointing thing would be the milking of all the past stuff. Why when there's time for one last stand against culture of nostalgia. 

Here is food for thought regarding The Replacement's demise,

On June 5, 2015, Westerberg announced onstage at the NOS Primavera Sound festival in Porto, Portugal, that it was the band's final show. T-shirts Westerberg had worn to previous shows had hinted at this outcome: each shirt had two letters on it (one each on front and back), ultimately spelling out, "I have always loved you. Now I must whore my past.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Replacements_%28band%29

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is food for thought regarding The Replacement's demise,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Replacements_%28band%29

But Why must he whore his past? Is that the only accepted thing from label and fans? Does putting out a record like VH and FNM lead to ruin? 

I mean do both. Or is it a case that the record just diminishes their myth and hence sees show ticket sales drop when the media fans can attach "mediocre comeback" to the band? But merch releases pointing to the hay day just elevates them?

you've got to either not give a fuck like Young or Dylan, and really their stars shine brighter so to stop them imploding they throw a wobbly. That was CD for GNR, so in my opinion the road is clear to do a Time Out of Mind or LA Woman. 

But when everyone is waving cash and adoration at you maybe just whore the best, I mean there must be fans who want this stuff. 

This is the walking dead though. Sure if Kurt is dead I'm interested in his old outtakes. But Guns are mobile they can eat solid food. Seems a bit premature nostalgia. I guess it's just a sign O da thymes. 

• Like 1