GNR albums on vinyl

Hello there ladies and gentlemen of this forum. I have a couple of questions regarding the availability of GNR albums on vinyl. And by this I mean to be able to buy a brand new factory sealed re-pressing of one of GNR's albums. As far as I know AFD has been available since 2008. The Illusion records just made a comeback and CD is still available. I wonder if this will be the case for Lies, TSI and Live Era. Any thoughts? 

Edited by WelcomeToParadiseCity
typo

I haven't heard anything about reissues or anything yet. There are original pressings available of everything from LLAS through Chinese Democracy though. 

I have the original pressings of a few and some reissues of others. All sound excellent. 

The only GNR songs that are not available on vinyls as of now are Oh My God and Look At Your Gane Girl. I wish there was at least a 7" single for Oh My God, but there's not nor is the End Of Days Soundtrack on vinyl as of now. 

47 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I haven't heard anything about reissues or anything yet. There are original pressings available of everything from LLAS through Chinese Democracy though. 

I have the original pressings of a few and some reissues of others. All sound excellent. 

The only GNR songs that are not available on vinyls as of now are Oh My God and Look At Your Gane Girl. I wish there was at least a 7" single for Oh My God, but there's not nor is the End Of Days Soundtrack on vinyl as of now. 

Uh? My Spaghetti Incident original pressing has Look At Your Game Girl.

1 hour ago, kraneo said:

Uh? My Spaghetti Incident original pressing has Look At Your Game Girl.

It would appear I made an error lol. 

I still wish I could at least get a single for Oh My God. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I hope they'll reissue their whole discography this year (It would make sense in a lot of ways) so that I can get Live Era on vinyl without paying 250 USD!

^~~This. Def. This. I've thought about buying live era soooo many times, and almost pulled the trigger several times recently, but now I'm really hesitant because I've made the mistake of paying big money for original presses of rare and semi-rare shit in the past, only to have the band re-release it like 6 months later, instantly devaluing said merchandise. It would make sense with the modern popularity of vinyl that they would re release their whole catalog what with the overnight re-vamp of the whole band image. Im waiting on this. YOU HERE ME GUNS N ROSES??? REPRINT THIS... TAKE MY MONEY PLEEEAASSSEEE!

• Like 1

I have original pressings of every GN'R album except LLAS. I never seem to come across a copy that's in good shape.

Regarding reissues, I've yet to see one. Is there a tell-tale way to discern the difference?

21 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Regarding reissues, I've yet to see one. Is there a tell-tale way to discern the difference?

I'm guessing you mean just about LLAS? (Because AFD and UYI's are pretty obvious). I'd check troccoli's site if you're looking for info on GNR releases: http://www.troccolitm.com/

Edited by Gordon Comstock

I have UIY's on vinyl, original pressings. Think I never played them.

And yes, they are for sale! Anyone wanna buy? PM me.

P.S. I have some other cool GNR vinyls as well. Bootlegs pressed in the 80's, AFD etc. Those I did play I lot though...

Edited by GnR_Stockholm

The ONLY official guns albums I don't have in vinyl are TSI and Live Era. I still plan on getting TSI eventually, Live Era? Probably not.

Which I don't consider LLAS as an "official" album

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

21 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm guessing you mean just about LLAS? (Because AFD and UYI's are pretty obvious). I'd check troccoli's site if you're looking for info on GNR releases: http://www.troccolitm.com/

That's what I'm asking. What is the obvious difference beyond the packaging? If someone were to remove the shrink wrap, how could you tell the re-issue from the original? Do they have re-issue dates on them?

I looked at images on the site you linked above and I get that the packaging (shrink wrap) is different so nobody could reasonably position an un-opened album as an original print.

1 minute ago, thunderram said:

That's what I'm asking. What is the obvious difference beyond the packaging? If someone were to remove the shrink wrap, how could you tell the re-issue from the original? Do they have re-issue dates on them?

I looked at images on the site you linked above and I get that the packaging (shrink wrap) is different so nobody could reasonably position an un-opened album as an original print.

The only obvious difference I know of, is bootlegs I've seen online in coloured vinyl. Otherwise, I'd use Discogs to make sure the details are the same - catalog number, the number etched in the run-off, etc.

LLAS are UYI II are the only ones I don't have originals of. Live Era is probably the most expensive record I own but I still think I paid a decent price for it, nowhere near what I've seen it listed for since I bought it anyway. I don't know if I've ever seen an affordable copy of LLAS, and I have the UYI II re-issue so, no real need for the original. 

And can I just add that TSI? sounds awesome on vinyl? That and AFD are the best sounding Guns records, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't have originals of. Live Era is probably the most expensive record I own but I still think I paid a decent price for it, nowhere near what I've seen it listed for since I bought it anyway.

You caught me in an accidental lie. I don't have Live Era on vinyl. I always forget about it being an official release.

I worked for a ma and pa music store from 1993 - 1999, which actively bought and sold used music. I had access to a lot of out-of-print content, as well as promos, imports and bootlegs. One of many cool things I acquired is the UYI boxset with a vinyl picture album. It was a great connection while it lasted.

I haven't read this entire discussion so don't know if this has been mentioned, but FYE is selling UYI I and II on vinyl for $25. Are these reissues, because in the past I haven't been able to find them anywhere?

http://www.fye.com/s/product/3792166/#.Vy1YRLyFKkg 

http://www.fye.com/s/product/3792167/#.Vy1YRbyFKkg 

Edited by KiernanProud

I use to collect vinyl and play them until I realized that no matter my preference, it just wasn't worth the money. For one thing, vinyl wears down. After the first two spins, the kHz drops pretty hard and continues to decrease with each play after that. Over the course of a decade, that heavily spun record will sound like sheet. Secondly, and this isn't very well known by most people, because of the nature of a groves and dimension of the disc, the quality of the music decreases as you move inward. Basically, the first track on one side of the record sounds significantly better than the last track on the same side. There's nothing you can do about it, it's just a flaw in the format.

These days I have gone back to CDs. If I'm going to spend money on music, I want something physical, not a file and not a leased out stream. CD's don't wear down (they will sound as great as the day you bought them until the day you're dead), every track on the record whether it be the first or the last sounds great, and, as long as you are taking care of your albums, they require almost zero cleaning and upkeep. Oh, and did I mention that most of them are like 5-7 dollars now? It just makes sense.

Edited by Nintari

49 minutes ago, thunderram said:

You caught me in an accidental lie. I don't have Live Era on vinyl. I always forget about it being an official release.

I worked for a ma and pa music store from 1993 - 1999, which actively bought and sold used music. I had access to a lot of out-of-print content, as well as promos, imports and bootlegs. One of many cool things I acquired is the UYI boxset with a vinyl picture album. It was a great connection while it lasted.

Tbh I only go back to Live Era every few years, but it's a good album. And the vinyl release has Coma :D

I'd guess you mean the Road To Illusions box (most common one I can think of with a pic disc). I've always wanted more GnR box-sets, I've only got the CD one. 

We are talking about LLAS here right? I never got if there was an actual separate pressing. Because I have Lies on vinyl and there's LLAS on the back of it. 

So this confused the hell out of me.  So there should be an actual separate record right?

I own Live Era mostly because I got a deal on it years ago. I barely play it, but usually I'll bust it out for Coma. Chinese sounds WAY better on vinyl than CD but it's still got bad inner groove distortion on some tracks.

• 2 months later...
On May 7, 2016 at 9:39 AM, RussTCB said:

I own Live Era mostly because I got a deal on it years ago. I barely play it, but usually I'll bust it out for Coma. Chinese sounds WAY better on vinyl than CD but it's still got bad inner groove distortion on some tracks.

Please sell it to me.