Why not a GNR/ACDC Super Bowl half time show?

I know the topic of a gnr super bowl half time show comes up every year, but I feel this year would make a lot of sense. The nfl loves multiple big acts in their half time show and Axl with a reunited gnr and acdc would be perfect imo. Maybe even a guest spot with Elton John or Steven Tyler.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, P1g Vomit said:

I know the topic of a gnr super bowl half time show comes up every year, but I feel this year would make a lot of sense. The nfl loves multiple big acts in their half time show and Axl with a reunited gnr and acdc would be perfect imo. Maybe even a guest spot with Elton John or Steven Tyler.

No thanks. Judging from the onslaught of negative criticism just from the 7 GN'R and 1 AC/DC show --- the expectations for a SuperBowl show would be utterly ridiculous even though most the SB shows suck anyway.

I wouldn't wish that on any of these guys.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, P1g Vomit said:

Cant even begin to imagine how bad it would be. Press conferences on media day, lots of obligations and 12 minutes to perform everything is a whirlwind for disaster especially for axl. Besides, I think a 2002 vma repeat would happen with minor improvements. throw acdc in there, you have what? A rushed highway to hell and paradise city with cheap pyro? no thanks.

Edited by Loseyourillusions98

2 hours ago, Loseyourillusions98 said:

Cant even begin to imagine how bad it would be. Press conferences on media day, lots of obligations and 12 minutes to perform everything is a whirlwind for disaster especially for axl. Besides, I think a 2002 vma repeat would happen with minor improvements. throw acdc in there, you have what? A rushed highway to hell and paradise city with cheap pyro? no thanks.

Yeah, Axl's voice is light years better than 2002 right now...

Superbowl is not a big thing outside u.s.a ( meybe mexico and canada ) but for the 85 % of the world ( maybe more) is a random game/event that noone cares about.. But...  A lot of people outside the states just cares about halftime show, some ht shows were very famous worldwide ( the one with m.jackson, the one with bep with slash, the one with prince, janet jacksons boob,  etc etc . ..)  So is a nice way to be seen worldwide. And i think an acdc with Guns n Roses show is an excelent idea. Half of back in black, half of jungle, and at the end both bands play the paradise city outro with a fine fireworks paraphernalia.. I mean, it cant be a half time show better than that

Im 200% . On board with this

• Like 2

Nah, the Superbowl has been shit for ages and such lows aren't meant for our boys. Not anymore. Besides, as it was mentioned, if they perform less than spectacular, no one's going to forgive them again. Even Slash got so much crap for playing with the BEP that one time (which, yeah, I still cringe) and he's the most widely accepted guy in both bands. Imagine if Axl did something not up to their exploding tits/pink cotton candy/has-to-sound-exactly-like-the-studio-version standards. We saw how much those pussies at Coachella sucked and drained the life out of the performance.

No, thank you.

17 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Which song would feature Beyonce? :awesomeface:

I wanna see Slash's light up top hat but next to Axl singing in a light up foot cast and he can lip sync with Beyonce. Best Superbowl halftime show ever. 

You could tell the singing was live at the Super Bowl halftime Slash played because they couldn't get the mic working properly when Usher came on. Slash sounded like he was playing live, he was just doing 30 seconds of a song though and was easy to fake. 

When Janet Jackson got in trouble, they started booking older rock acts, but then you watch the Stones halftime, they're censoring Mick, one being a hit song, and one being a double entendre. But that's probably when GNR and AC/DC were approached about playing halftime. The Eagles were supposedly going to do it one year, but too late for that now.

Now they're back to mostly pop acts and bringing out a classic rocker for a minute. All about the spectacle and publicity. GNR doesn't need a halftime to sell music, I'm sure they and AC/DC have been asked and it was "shot down in flames".

That doesn't mean they don't play a gig before the game or a concert in the host city around that time because you have a lot of people there looking for stuff to do. But if the Seahawks are in the Super Bowl, Duff would rather not be working that day...

I thought maybe they would have played during the time the Olympics were in Rio but the stadium tour's going on in August. 

Maybe I'm old school but I find SB half times to be cheesy and for sell outs. Watching the Chili Peppers jump around and play interments that weren't even plugged in flat out buried them for me. Such a disgrace.

On 5/8/2016 at 8:47 PM, thunderram said:

No thanks. Judging from the onslaught of negative criticism just from the 7 GN'R and 1 AC/DC show --- the expectations for a SuperBowl show would be utterly ridiculous even though most the SB shows suck anyway.

The only shows that received negative critism were Coachella and that mostly came from wanna be hipsters/yuppies/LA snobs with an identity crisis that thought other acts out performed them...and thought that Axl sitting in a chair was weak...most rock/ GN'R fans thought they were good there too. 

Vegas/Mexico reviews were mostly positive and every single AC/DC review has not only said that AC/DC were great....they also said that Axl nailed it.

If Axl sounds as good as he does now, I think they would be fantastic in a Super Bowl halftime show.

• Like 2

On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Fitha_whiskey said:

The idea is good, but the reality is, no fuckin way.

As it's been said many times before, the SB halftime show is no longer live music. 

Remember the RHCP??? Their instruments were not even plugged in- spawning "No Trickery".

Axl ain't no fake lip syncer. And thank fuck for that...

Was just getting ready to say this. In fact he was very vocal about it caking it the biggest karaoke show ever if the singing was real.

Axl and SB just not really seeing it. Super Bowl has taken from the integrity of musicians IMO and the audience.

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

The only shows that received negative critism were Coachella and that mostly came from wanna be hipsters/yuppies/LA snobs with an identity crisis that thought other acts out performed them...and thought that Axl sitting in a chair was weak...most rock/ GN'R fans thought they were good there too. 

Vegas/Mexico reviews were mostly positive and every single AC/DC review has not only said that AC/DC were great....they also said that Axl nailed it.

If Axl sounds as good as he does now, I think they would be fantastic in a Super Bowl halftime show.

I was mostly referring to the negative fans here. And also all the negativity over the AC/DC thing once it was announced. No matter what the band does, or how good they are, there's just a bunch of ridiculous criticism. The Superbowl would ramp that up by a factor of 10. Not worth it.

But, yes, I do realize that the show reviews have been mostly positive by the rational beat writers out there.

On May 8, 2016 at 8:47 PM, thunderram said:

Negative criticism :lol:

On a serious note, this topic comes up too often :P

Again we would all love to see it happen, even the ones arguing it, but it just won't. Too much money is on the line and there's too much pressure for axl to be ready at a specific time, on the dot. There's so much going on there... Idk it just seems unlikely. But it'd be awesome.

5 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

On a serious note, this topic comes up too often :P

Again we would all love to see it happen, even the ones arguing it, but it just won't. Too much money is on the line and there's too much pressure for axl to be ready at a specific time, on the dot. There's so much going on there... Idk it just seems unlikely. But it'd be awesome.

Kinda like how the topic of lack of press and interviews comes up....way too often :)

It would be awesome...I would actually see it as highly possible if it wasn't for the fact that the Halftime acts at the Super Bowl are now more mainstream.   They seem to have gotten away from very popular nostalgia type acts to more of the flavor of the month as far as pop culture goes.

i also don't think either GnR or AC/DC would be hip to lip syncing and that seems to be a current requirement as well.

Edited by tsinindy

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Kinda like how the topic of lack of press and interviews comes up....way too often :)

It would be awesome...I would actually see it as highly possible if it wasn't for the fact that the Super Bowl acts at the Super Bowl are now more mainstream.   They seem to have gotten away from very popular nostalgia type acts to more of the flavor of the month as far as pop culture goes.

i also don't think either GnR or AC/DC would be hip to lip syncing and that seems to be a current requirement as well.

The lack of press and interviews has been a problem. It's why people have been more pumped about this acdc thing ;) yup

The super bowl has specifically targeted at a specific audience for a reason. The classic rock band thing for stale after the who, so they had to try something different. Again it's going to be a lot of money and a lot of risk, maybe the Super Bowl would consider GNR of they play on time during the ENTIRE stadium tour and Europe, but we'll see. 

It's like the MTV VMA's.. Some people still yearn for it but that era has passed. I'd like to see a Grammy performance or some serious award show that's live for the mass audience to see myself.

1 minute ago, Billsfan said:

The lack of press and interviews has been a problem. It's why people have been more pumped about this acdc thing ;) yup

The super bowl has specifically targeted at a specific audience for a reason. The classic rock band thing for stale after the who, so they had to try something different. Again it's going to be a lot of money and a lot of risk, maybe the Super Bowl would consider GNR of they play on time during the ENTIRE stadium tour and Europe, but we'll see. 

It's like the MTV VMA's.. Some people still yearn for it but that era has passed. I'd like to see a Grammy performance or some serious award show that's live for the mass audience to see myself.

UmK.   Interviews have nothing to do with the excitement on this forum about Axl joining AC/DC and until Saturday night we were in the minority on people actually being excited about that prospect anyway.

More people are excited about it now as a result of his actual performance not some hackneyed interviews and a few 30 second to one minute promo spots on Facebook.

you are right the reason why nostalgia rock acts aren't being chosen is for a reason, the exact reason why GnR seems unlikely...demographics.  

The Granmy's?  Who cares?