Does anyone else think Duff's whole zen attitude rubbed off on Axl?

i'm using "zen" more as a figure of speech rather than in the literal sense... all I mean is, Duff sobered up and got in touch with himself and changed his whole outlook on life. I've read both his books (he's a fantastic writer!), and it's pretty clear he's a total 180 from his Use Your Illusion days. He's all about putting the bad stuff behind you and moving on and gaining mental clarity. And he was definitely the driving force behind the reunion: even though Izzy got on stage with Axl first, nothing much came of it; in fact, Axl even alluded to the fact that he felt like Izzy backstabbed him during the 2006 tour when he did his chats on this forum (he said something to the effect of, and I'm paraphrasing, "it's probably better we didn't know Izzy's requests, because it would have been a lot less fun for everyone if we did").

Anyway, my question is: does anyone else think that, perhaps, Duff's whole attitude on life may have rubbed off on Axl? Do you think maybe Duff sat down and had a 1-on-1 with Axl when they did those tours dates together a couple years back and was like, "Listen, dude, life is too short"? Because the Axl we've seen in the last year is far and away from the Axl we saw a few years ago at his lowest (I literally can't believe the Bridge Show Benefit happened and we are where we are today). Even when Axl did his "interview" with Del James a couple years back, he was still badmouthing Slash and obviously reticent when it came to speak to the press (hence being interviewed by Del James). Suddenly he's reunited with his long-time enemy AND doing interviews (and being nice to boot!). I'm not trying to create too much speculation here, I'm just really shocked at Axl's turnaround, and after reading Duff's second book recently (and re-watching a couple of his interviews from back when he first reconnected with Axl) it really does make me wonder if he kind of helped change Axl's perspective on life and opened the door to his seemingly newfound personality. It would make for an absolutely awesome narrative if that were the case.

• Like 2

Duff was definitely the key to where we're at right now. In one of the recent interviews someone (I think Canter) was saying that Duff had several conversations with Axl and had him seeing things from Slash's perspective (and I'm sure he did the same with Slash and Axl's perspective). I'd imagine Duff's approach has had some affect on Axl, it has to have. 

• Like 1

I just think he's happy. He's made amends with almost every enemy from the past, His band is back together, they're respected by fans, critics and the media, he's singing for his favorite band, he's healthy, and he's making money. Everything that could've gone right this year did, and more. 

I do think Duff's attitude had an impact but I think him playing with Duff made him come to the realization that he could do more. he was happier and sounding better once those 2014 Vegas shows hit. I think it's just a classic matter of time healing all wounds 

Edited by KiernanProud
  • Like 3

From a personal standpoint, that would be my hope.

Axl seems to be a complicated individual. Temperamental. Introspective. Intelligent. Hot-headed. Tortured.

It's what makes him a rock-star. One of the greatest singers and front men in history. Period.

And it's probably not always easy living with that angst and anxiety and I would hope that the conversations with Duff led down a path of understanding and contemplation, perhaps even self-reflection. Maybe that olive branch of friendship was the catharsis Axl needed. As Tom Zutuat said, "if Axl is mad at you, that means he cares." So the hope would be that Axl has come to peace with some of the people and issues that bothered him, whether that be through his own reflections or with the help of others. At the same time, I doubt we will truly know the extent of the those personal conversations and their depths. We have some sort of reconciliation and re-branding, but what about all the other individuals? Izzy, Steven, Matt?

It lends itself to some pretty interesting speculation and conversation.

For anyone who hasn't seen "Steve Jobs" starring Michael Fassbender and Jeff Daniels, there's a great scene in the film where they (Steve Jobs and John Sculley) basically go toe-to-toe about their falling out.  Steve Jobs was adamant about dropping the Apple II in favour of the Mac, whereas John Sculley needed the Apple II. Their point of contention led to the fallout of their entire friendship. They drew their line in the sand and died on their hill.  Sculley resented the fact that Steve Jobs twisted the story of Sculley getting Steve Jobs fired, which the media took as truth. It's a great scene and I think kind of encapsulates and reflects some of the same issues that plagued the relationship between the Gunners.

Even without anything else, reconnecting with a such a good friend and playing with him again has to be a great thing for Axl. Even when Axl was slamming the others, there was that one interview in like, what, 2006, where he said, "well, maybe I would do something with Duff."

5 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

exactly. if it was just about money, he'd have caved in back when azoff as dangling the forbidden fruit.

I'm not so sure. Slash tried to go to GN'R first Vegas back in 2001 show. And he wasn't allowed. Maybe Duff thought the same could happen to him. It almost did in 2010 in London.

Seems legit.

Let me put it this way: something happened. No idea what, but your idea sounds as good as any guess I'd have. This is just a totally different dude then we've ever dealt with before.

9 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

exactly. if it was just about money, he'd have caved in back when azoff as dangling the forbidden fruit.

Honestly, I think this entire semi reunion thing is about the final cash in and the realization that time is now a factor in pulling it off on a larger scale.

What's been going on this year gives me hope for a new album and reissues, people falling in love with GNR again. If this is just a one tour for the money and so people can say they saw Axl and Slash on stage, so be it. 

I remember Duff saying in the second book* that meeting and just chatting and reminiscing with Axl when he joined the tour was a sort of catharsis. One that he didn't feel he needed, but felt really good all the same.

Axl has always been trying to find peace within himself since almost the beginning it seems. He, unfortunately, just seemed to have a hard time finding it whether looking for it in the wrong places or his circumstances/personality making it difficult. Hopefully he has found it now. We may never know what all changed and came together to make this work. The people involved may not really completely know themselves. Hopefully everything is smooth sailing moving forward and everyone is content.

*(I also remember, when reading the book, having to regretfully lower my estimation of Duff's intelligence down a half a notch. Really, dude, trying to exercise out a fever? Do you know how illnesses/ the immune system works at all? Only half a notch, though,  because in the book he pretty much admits exercise is his new addiction to replace the booze/drugs. Addictions make you do stupid things regardless if you know better or not.)

5 hours ago, Zint said:

Honestly, I think this entire semi reunion thing is about the final cash in and the realization that time is now a factor in pulling it off on a larger scale.

What does Axl need more money for though? Slash went through a divorce, Duff has a family, I can see why they would want to make as much money as possible, even though they're more than comfortable as it is. 

Axl seems to have more than enough to maintain his lifestyle and doesn't seem like someone who would sell his pride to make more money just because he can.

Could be or Axl is just getting older and tired of holding a grudge towards Slash.

Some things can be forgiven and some can't. I guess Axl realize he and Slash could put their shit behind them and work together again. Duff seems to be a peace maker and if he had a lot to do with their talking again, good for him. He seems very sensible in his life and has a great wife and kids. That helps when your life is in order, you can then help others with their lives.

Whatever the reason, we the fans are happy about the reunion. I just wish Izzy would join them and possible Steven on some shows. That would be the ultimate GNR reunion.