The Musicianship of GNR

I'm not sure if this is an appreciation thread or a recognition one, but how about the guys from GNR and their ability to get called on to perform for various acts. 

Look at Slash's career, he's played with any and every artist out there. He's constantly been asked to come in and play guitar on other artist albums and live performances. 

Duff is becoming the go to bassist for any rock super group. Hollywood Vampires and other acts have asked Duff to be a part of their gigs and he seems to continue to rise in the eyes of fellow musicians. 

Now Axl...the guy we thought would never play in anything except gnr is now the frontman for two of the biggest rock acts ever. I'm sure he's been asked to collaborate with many artist over the years but up until now it's never seemed like a possibility. He displayed that his voice is very much in tact on Saturday and has shown a touch for covering others music. Where does he go from here is the question. 

It seems apparent to me that these guys weren't just the right fit at the right time...they were destined to make it in music. Their talents are too obvious and they each hold unique characteristics that set them apart. Together we got spoiled with their greatness, and as the years have shown these are talented individuals who's talents are becoming more and more recognized as musicians these days command the technical side but are lost in the mix with their inability to separate themselves as artist. 

So Slash will continue to be Slash...everywhere!

Duff will continue playing in projects he likes with people he enjoys. 

And I hope Axl continues to branch out and display that voice to the world one more time. He's brilliant, they each are and they deserve the respect they have been given. They are some of the best musicians to ever form a band, the result was incredible! 

• Like 1

good thread, and some good observations.

personally, as an ever learning guitarist, i find the GNR songs most fun to play. the riff from reckless life, right next door to hell, some licks and the riff from paradise city... all a ton of fun to play, and sounding about as killer as a guitar can sound. and i've listened to quite a few bands alright: zeppelin, aerosmith, the stones, AC/DC, Queen, doors, hendrix, motorhead, nirvana, metallica, sabbath, priest, RATM, you name it.... at the end of the day, the GNR riffs give me the most satisfaction.

Izzy is a power chord wizard. everything that guy plays sounds cool. likewise, when i want to impress my wife i can always get to her with a november rain lick.

small bit of info: most of their stuff is fucking hard to learn and play. the last solo on november rain contains some wicked notes i'm not sure a normal human being can play.

Edited by action
  • Like 3

These guys are amazing musicians.  Slash and Duff are sober and playing better than ever.  Well Slash was up until rejoining Gn'R anyway.  Them coming together just doesn't sound as good as it should.  They have had years to perfect their craft and they should be absolutely amazing right now.  Aside from Axl's voice their is no reason the band shouldn't sound as good or better than they did in their heyday. Actually after hearing Axl with AC/DC he could sound a lot better with Gn'R too. He was great with AC/DC yesterday. Look at a band like Aerosmith. Their writing abilities have diminished to pop crap but they play the shit out of the 70's classics. They play them now better than ever. 

Gn'R need to recapture their groove and swagger. For whatever reason the swagger is absent. I think the sped up tempos have the most to do with that. I also believe the other musicians on the stage are holding them back as well. Not because they are bad musicians, but because the chemistry just isn't there. Whatever happens, I hope things are tweaked before the stadium tour and they get some of that swagger back. I just want them to be the best they can be. I KNOW they can be better. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I find it amazing that these guys found each other in Hollywood. their taste in music is awesome too, they have a great ear for what works, hopefully we see one more gnr album 

Sunset Strip was the place to be in the 1980's if you wanted to be signed to a rock contract. That explains the migration by Duff from Seattle and Izzy/Axl from Indiana. The more amazing thing to me is that Lafayette, Indiana produced two guys that were so talented and in the same age group at the same high school. Also very surprising that in a massive city like Los Angeles, such a talented drummer and guitarist were friends from a very early age. What were the odds on either of those scenarios with Izzy/Axl and Slash/Steven? A billion to one I would say.  

Edited by GNRfan2008
  • Like 4

Great thread! 

Right now, for GNR, the Parts are far greater than the Sum. But give it time, maybe they they'll get it right, next time. 

With Axl singing the way he is, Slash and Duff and Izzy need to jump in there and write and record some upbeat, some complex, and some classic GNR sounding stuff. Axl can go off on it with hard edge, thought-out lyrics. Twelve songs, guys. 12.....you can do it!!!!!!

4 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Sunset Strip was the place to be in the 1980's if you wanted to be signed to a rock contract. That explains the migration by Duff from Seattle and Izzy/Axl from Indiana. The more amazing thing to me is that Lafayette, Indiana produced two guys that were so talented and in the same age group at the same high school. Also very surprising that in a massive city like Los Angeles, such a talented drummer and guitarist were friends from a very early age. What were the odds on either of those scenarios with Izzy/Axl and Slash/Steven? A billion to one I would say.  

Check out the music rich attendees of Fairfax High School in Los Angeles. Crazy stuff. 

7 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

the odds were one in a million, i'd say

22 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

I think that Axl is a brilliant pianist.

Agreed. In some ways I'd say he compares to or even betters Ludwig van Beethoven. Especially those intricate piano lines in Prostitute. (his symphony no. 9)

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Speechless!

Was in a good mood. Axl has the sufficient technique on the instrument to compose and perform pretty significant pieces both artistically and commercially speaking such as November Rain and Estranged.

Even Dizzy Reed is good enough, keyboard wise, to be in Guns. The blue addition as well. It's a Hard Rock band, doesn't need a piano master.

But I feel as though Axl's abilities on the keys are brutally exaggerated by some Guns fans. I like his style though. Sometimes he goes full Elton like in This I Love which turns up the cheese, but he has his own musical style imo.

Kinda like Lennon, basic piano knowledge that was enough to write Imagine. Well in Axl's case, it was enough to write November Rain and that is brilliant when you think about it and try to be objective which is not easy for... some people. I'd say Axl is an average "pianist", piano player, but a brilliant composer in his genre, or at least was at some point.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Agreed. In some ways I'd say he compares to or even betters Ludwig van Beethoven. Especially those intricate piano lines in Prostitute. (his symphony no. 9)

I would compare Axl's playing to Elton John's chordal backing approach..there is a lot of feeling while playing very few notes. Intricate piano lines and finger dancing around the keys with technical accuracy are what its all about..not. 

Nice attempt at sarcasm.

49 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

I would compare Axl's playing to Elton John's chordal backing approach..there is a lot of feeling while playing very few notes. Intricate piano lines and finger dancing around the keys with technical accuracy are what its all about..not. 

Nice attempt at sarcasm.

This I love piano work rivals I'm Still Standing in quality.

21 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I'm not sure if this is an appreciation thread or a recognition one, but how about the guys from GNR and their ability to get called on to perform for various acts. 

Look at Slash's career, he's played with any and every artist out there. He's constantly been asked to come in and play guitar on other artist albums and live performances. 

Duff is becoming the go to bassist for any rock super group. Hollywood Vampires and other acts have asked Duff to be a part of their gigs and he seems to continue to rise in the eyes of fellow musicians. 

Now Axl...the guy we thought would never play in anything except gnr is now the frontman for two of the biggest rock acts ever. I'm sure he's been asked to collaborate with many artist over the years but up until now it's never seemed like a possibility. He displayed that his voice is very much in tact on Saturday and has shown a touch for covering others music. Where does he go from here is the question. 

It seems apparent to me that these guys weren't just the right fit at the right time...they were destined to make it in music. Their talents are too obvious and they each hold unique characteristics that set them apart. Together we got spoiled with their greatness, and as the years have shown these are talented individuals who's talents are becoming more and more recognized as musicians these days command the technical side but are lost in the mix with their inability to separate themselves as artist. 

So Slash will continue to be Slash...everywhere!

Duff will continue playing in projects he likes with people he enjoys. 

And I hope Axl continues to branch out and display that voice to the world one more time. He's brilliant, they each are and they deserve the respect they have been given. They are some of the best musicians to ever form a band, the result was incredible! 

Very good thread and agree with all.

The band on a whole is amazing current and past members have went on to do some amazing things with great bands.

I too am glad Axl is showcasing his talents in another band and one so huge. For years people tried to use for example Slash's accomplishments against Axl. I like you assume Axl has turned down many opportunities over the years. Him fronting ACDC is a chance for people to see he is more respected musically then they give credit.

Slash has proven over and over how accomplished as a guitarist he is. He is a top guitarist and rightfully so. 

I'm a very proud fan of them all.

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Slash called Axl the best musician of the whole group...said he learned to play everything and does it much better than he puts on. I think he actually said Axl is very good at guitar 

Axl plays guitar on CD. He is very humble about his skills. But I agree the man can sing,write play piano and guitar. Among other things he does to perfect the music once it's done. Thank of November Rain or This I Love

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Slash called Axl the best musician of the whole group...said he learned to play everything and does it much better than he puts on. I think he actually said Axl is very good at guitar 

Axl plays guitar on CD. He is very humble about his skills. But I agree the man can sing,write play piano and guitar. Among other things he does to perfect the music once it's done. Thank of November Rain or This I Love.

Just found this which sort of breaks down other bands Axl has sang with over the years. There's also a breakdown of Axls clothes he wore a few weeks ago that anyone can add to the Axl wardrobe discussion.Theres also quotes from band members on his guitar playing.

http://www.gunsnrosesfans.com/post/124381379124/emerc-axls-guitar-playing-axl-is-rhythym

Axl’s Guitar Playing

“Axl is rhythym guitar on his own songs for the time being.” (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

“I can’t really play guitar too well, I only play the top two strings.” (Axl, Rolling Stone, 08/10/89)

“For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, ‘Okay, I’m going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.’ It’s an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl’s got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.’” (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

“'That tripped me out when I first came back,’ Slash says. ‘I figured ‘Okay, that’s where his focus has been. I haven’t really talked to him about it, to tell the truth. I guess he’s just been sitting at home, figuring out chords or something. Maybe he’s been taking lessons.” (Slash, Total Guitar, 01/97)

“Right now, he’s playing guitar and it’s like he plays that instrument for ten years.” (Matt, 09/23/96)

Edited by BOSSY78
added link
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

That's like when people say what are the odds of the Beatles all growing up at the same time in Liverpool. The thing is, maybe they wouldn't be what we know them as if they hadn't met.

That's the thing. The meeting.  Maybe if Paul had never met John he'd have never tapped into the genius songwriting talent he had. And vice versa.

And if Axl never met Izzy maybe he would never have even left Indiana. There are plenty of talented people out there that never end up really discovering their talent let alone doing anything with it.

This might be a little off base with what this thread is going for, but most of the musicians that have been in Guns really have great solo careers, in my opinion. I mean I really can't think of another band I listen to where I enjoy something from all of their solo stuff. From Bumblefoot's hands to Gilbys Pawnshop guitars to Buckethead, I really have enjoyed them all. I thought Duff's Beautiful Disease was great, and even enjoy the silliness of Believe in Me. It's got that Spaghetti incident vibe. And obviously Slash's material speaks for itself. I really do need to listen to the Dead Daisey's still.

And Izzy. My god. That guy knows what rock and roll is. I'm in the minority for sure, but Tommy Stinson's solo stuff if my favorite of all of them. I've really enjoyed all of it from Bash and Pop to One Man Mutiny. I think Village Gorilla Head and the Ju Ju hounds records are my overall favorites out of all of them though.

Edit: I forgot Matt's Fierce Joy. I really liked some things on it and I think it's cool Matt finally got to be the drumming Frontman he always wanted to be!

Edited by Sprite

12 hours ago, Rovim said:

Was in a good mood. Axl has the sufficient technique on the instrument to compose and perform pretty significant pieces both artistically and commercially speaking such as November Rain and Estranged.

Even Dizzy Reed is good enough, keyboard wise, to be in Guns. The blue addition as well. It's a Hard Rock band, doesn't need a piano master.

But I feel as though Axl's abilities on the keys are brutally exaggerated by some Guns fans. I like his style though. Sometimes he goes full Elton like in This I Love which turns up the cheese, but he has his own musical style imo.

Kinda like Lennon, basic piano knowledge that was enough to write Imagine. Well in Axl's case, it was enough to write November Rain and that is brilliant when you think about it and try to be objective which is not easy for... some people. I'd say Axl is an average "pianist", piano player, but a brilliant composer in his genre, or at least was at some point.

You never go full Elton!!!

• Like 1