It's a great time to be an AC/DC fan

Powerage5

11 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Do you think we'll see some rotating songs if Axl is really what allowed for them to be more adventurous with the setlist? Given that they rehearsed TTM and DED multiple times, and even soundchecked DED, I figured that one at least was a given.

I hope so. I can't see them going beyond 22 songs but there's no reason it can't be GTDAB one night and Dog Eat Dog the next, or whatever.

It'd also be good to add back some Brian favorites (WMW and Moneytslks) considering how well Axl is doing with the Brian songs.

7 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Phil was definitely better at keeping "Angus time". Slade is kind of like a metronome in comparison.

He's improved since he started back with them, but he's no Rudd, that's for sure. It's no a dealbreaker for me though.

Phil is the man but he disappointed  me on the Black Ice tour with his incredibly phoned in performances. There's laid back and then there's lazy. He skipped almost all his old fills and cymbal accents on the snare. Hells Bells on LARP is a good example where the power is lost without this extra crashes. The irony is that ROB is maybe his best drumming ever, and that came later! But yeah, the Black Ice tour made me long for the Ballbreaker Phil. He owned that tour.

I've always loved Slade's approach so it's neither here nor there for me whether it's Phil or Slade. Slade was my first AC/DC drummer so my initial introduction to many of the songs was with him. He seems to stay right on top of the beat so the songs have a bit more "push" compared to Phil's laid back, behind-the-beat approach. Both great drummers for different reasons and both fit the band.

On the drummers note, one thing I never liked about Simon was his hi-hat playing. He just smashed the crap out of it and it was overly washed in sound. Very messy, though he grooved pretty decently.

Currently, I think Stevie and Chris have come into their own now. It was definitely a different rhythm section initially but they sound great together now. It was all new in 2015. Stevie does a good Mal but one thing he just can't do right is the Thunderstruck rhythm part. That was Mal's specialty. Minor complaint though, because we have a solid line-up overall.

• Like 3

Wow, it never dawned on me just how powerful Axl's vocal performance was until old mate posted those comparisons on the first page.

Sheesh, no Axl hater really has a leg to stand on when you compare the two!

Yet, there's still shitloads of them permeating social media comment threads all over the place!

All well, still got my ticket!

• Like 1

I think "Bad Boy Boogie" will make it back into the set, (plus it gives Axl a 10 minute break). It's songs like "It's a Long Way To The Top" that they haven't done since Bon Scott was in the band that they should bring in, but I think they need to do it with a bagpipe group the way McCartney's been doing "Mull of Kintyre". 

Slade's closing in on 70 and playing great, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a drummer in the wings. I think Rudd would only be a part of a one off show in Australia, and everyone would be worried about their safety. I'm sure Frank would gladly do it *L* 

The interesting part is that if Axl continues to absolutely nail it with AC/DC, who could they get to replace him if they decide to go their seperate ways after these gigs?  I'm thinking anyone else at this point would be a step down, no? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dalsh327 said:

Slade's closing in on 70 and playing great, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a drummer in the wings. I think Rudd would only be a part of a one off show in Australia, and everyone would be worried about their safety. I'm sure Frank would gladly do it *L* 

Watch Slade retire and they draft in Adler. Frank remains in Guns only. :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

The interesting part is that if Axl continues to absolutely nail it with AC/DC, who could they get to replace him if they decide to go their seperate ways after these gigs?  I'm thinking anyone else at this point would be a step down, no? 

UDO!

hqdefault.jpg

x_791c4857.jpg

21 hours ago, Sosso said:

Axl is terrific with AC/DC and AC/DC are terrific with Axl. Stevie/Cliff/Chris are building a awesome rhythm section. Malcolm would be very proud if he could see this.  I would love to hear a new album from this line-up. 

And to be honest I don't expect very much from GN'R after the "Not In This Lifetime Tour" at all… 

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! ACDC with AXL ROSE!

The world needs an album from this amazing line up!

My band always was ACDC, since 1978, I have seen it all with them and I felt let down since 20 years, diappointed, loosing interest (but still following everything). The Brian thing, the handling of it was not cool, but Brian was done, in Zurich and Vienna last year he told the Abruzzo guys about his hearing problem and that he would quit after this tour. Then things got worse for him and ...

... ACDC reacted seemingly coldhearted.

Then they came back with the ultimate bang! And what a Bang! What happenend in the last few weeks was strange and bizarre for ACDC fans ... and then it turns out to be a miracle! This situation is a fountain of youth for ACDC. 

Lisbon was a historic event in rock'n'roll.

I'm a Rudd-man, all these years, never liked Slade. But I finally really totally realized how well oiled Slade, Stevie and Cliff have become. In Lisbon they delivered killer grooves, PRIME ACDC, completely energized by the superiour sounding STANDARD tuning and also by Axls uncompromising powerplus supervocals with menace and excellent timing which added extra swing to the songs. If they keep that standard and if there is some genuine mutual love between Angus and Axl (which seems to be the case judging by the 18 minute BBC interview), I have high hopes for the future.

I dare to repeat in bold letters:

THE WORLD NEEDS AN ALBUM ACDC WITH AXL ROSE.

Edited by Mister T
  • Like 2

Is anyone else concerned that Axl will struggle to replicate that performance from Lisbon night after night for the rest of the dates? 

I mean, that'd gotta be the most he's consistently strained his vocal chords song after song in some time right?

Or can we simply put his newfound raspy vocal stamina down to a shit load of rehearsal?!

How much strain can he give his vocals before his voice starts to falter or worse he has to cancel an appearance?!

Sorry to bring the doom and gloom, but it's a topic that won't go away I think, especially with Axl's age and the incredible workload he faces this summer and beyond 

2 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Udo was one of the openers when I saw GNR back in '88. The other was Zodiac Mindwarp.

Was that before Guns started opening for Aerosmith in the summer? What was the venue? You are one lucky person to have seen them in their prime.