It's a great time to be an AC/DC fan

Powerage5

I probably could've posted something like this in the Lisbon thread, but I thought it may get buried there, and is totally deserving of it's own thread. 

I know I'm not the only really hardcore AC/DC fan on here, there's at least a handful of us that more or less worship AC/DC - @highvoltage, @James Bond, @Georgy Zhukov, @DirtyDeeds, @Mansin Humanity and @ZoSoRose to name a few. Hell, some of us even posted together back on the original AC/DC forum before we all joined here. And I know we're only one show into this tour. But damn, it's truly an amazing time to be a fan of this band. Let me say it out front: it's terrible that things had to happen like they did. I absolutely love Brian, and I'd go as far as to say he was my favorite frontman if I had to pick between him and Bon (Though the Bon albums were undoubtedly better). But this is such a way to come back in style! And I'm not specifically talking about Axl when I say that. Yes, Axl's voice is a huge part of that, but the band itself sounds reenergized too. Maybe it's the fact that they feel they've got something to prove once again, but last night they played with more intensity than I've heard on any recording since The Razor's Edge tour. Everyone just seemed so on. Not to mentioned they played the longest setlist they've done since 2001, and it included two really deep cuts from both the Bon and the Brian era. 

I mean, in the course of two months we went from this...

To this...

I hope my enthusiasm continues throughout the remainder of the tour, but right now is one of the moments I've been proudest to be an AC/DC fan. If these shows are going to be the end of the band (Which I sincerely hope isn't the case), talk about going out with a bang.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Archer said:

It's a great time to be an AC/DC fan who loves Guns N' Roses, or a Guns N' Roses fan who loves AC/DC.

It's bittersweet as a GN'R fan who loves AC/DC. It's great that he sounds awesome on AC/DC, but then I start to wonder why he is going full Mickey Mouse on You Could Be Mine. That song is no more difficult than Thunderstruck. 

From this 

To this

its night and day and the tuning is 100 times better with Axl...that's why the band sounds awesome 

I hope big time ACDC fans are happy, I'm sure some still have a sour taste in their mouth and won't let it go but "your" band ACDC sounds as good as it has sounded in 20 years...enjoy it why it's here...it may be gone before you get to enjoy it.

also someone post some thoughts on the ACDC forum, I'd live to know how they felt about the show...that's a hardcore bunch there

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DexAxl said:

And it's in same time horrible to be GNR fan when your frontman destroy for AC/DC and don't give a fuck about GNR shows. And said he want to stay after tour if they want him fucking hell.:facepalm::facepalm:

Hey now, I'm trying to stay positive in this thread. Strictly speaking about AC/DC, everything looks and especially sounds great. 

28 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

From this 

To this

its night and day and the tuning is 100 times better with Axl...that's why the band sounds awesome 

I hope big time ACDC fans are happy, I'm sure some still have a sour taste in their mouth and won't let it go but "your" band ACDC sounds as good as it has sounded in 20 years...enjoy it why it's here...it may be gone before you get to enjoy it.

also someone post some thoughts on the ACDC forum, I'd live to know how they felt about the show...that's a hardcore bunch there

Reception on AC/DC Fans is mixed. Some think Axl knocked it out of the park, others not so much. Most of the naysayers seem to agree that Axl is just screaming with no real purpose or pitch. To which one particular fan of Axl  dug up an old Brian interview with a quote which, with paraphrasing said "I like to smoke a pack of cigarettes and drink a pint of whiskey before performing, because this ain't opera". Also some setlist complaints, but that's out of Axl's control obviously.

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I saw some fucker say it sounds like a bad tribute band. Sorry, but the recent version of AC/DC with Brian was a bad tribute band in its own right. Malcolm and Rudd gone. Brian sounding every bit of his 68 years (ie TERRIBLE). But people just give it a pass because of blind loyalty. GN'R fans know what it's like to see Axl with terrible vocals and we don't need to make excuses for him. What he delivered in Lisbon last night was great regardless of how delusional some people are about it. 

I'll give Brian that he sounded pretty good once he got going last year. But this year was atrocious.

Axl is terrific with AC/DC and AC/DC are terrific with Axl. Stevie/Cliff/Chris are building a awesome rhythm section. Malcolm would be very proud if he could see this.  I would love to hear a new album from this line-up. 

And to be honest I don't expect very much from GN'R after the "Not In This Lifetime Tour" at all… 

As a GNR fan, personally, this is just great. Some fresh air. Dont know how to explain this, but following GNR since I got an internet connection back in late 90's, almost daily basis, its been a loooong time since I've this felt happy and proud to see Axl performing. Its been kinda exhausting journey, in good and "bad". Thought this reunion thing would get me going again, it did a little, but not much yet, no idea why. GNR exhaustion I guess lol. Also I like ac/dc a lot, but have not followed them in years, great reminder how damn good band it is, with or without axl. Angus is God. 

Though im a bit worried Axl will join Acdc permanently, not sure if I want that to happen. 

Prior to this Axl/DC collab the only ACDC song I knew was BIB :lol: (apart from those covered by GN'R during shows).  

So I would say this thing is really a win-win situation for both bands as ACDC is currently attracting GN'R fans into being their fans and after Axl's fantastic performance in Lisbon I have no doubt some ACDC fans who were not into GN'R before, may want to start trying following GN'R.

So yeah, it's all good.

Edited by cheesecake

I'm glad you made this thread P5 because I was thinking about doing something similar now that I'm more or less caught up on the videos.

Axl aside, this is a great time to be a fan of this band. Even something as minimal as Riff Raff in the set is a pretty big deal. For most people on this board it probably seems like a non-event since Guns always plays it but AC/DC hasn't since what, 1978? That was the last time it was a set regular which is a damn shame. Barring the one-off VH1 performance with Brian in 1996 it continued to be ignored. Suddenly last night Angus throws it into the encore. I know if I was there and after Highway to Hell I was expecting the usual FTATR and suddenly they're doing Riff Raff I'd probably shit myself. It's great to finally hear Slade doing it with the real band (he's played it with tribute bands).

Angus knew they had just as much winning over to do as Axl so they truly gave it their all and gave us the best set list in over a decade. Well done boys!

Initially I hated the idea of the band without Brian. Since I'm a die hard fan of both Guns and AC/DC obviously I was excited by the Axl thing but I still had a sour taste in my mouth. I still say they handled Brian's departure poorly but at least we finally have some proper interviews about it. Seeing Cliff talk about it was especially comforting since him and Brian are super close outside of the band. I figured if Brian had truly been fired then Cliff would probably walk out of respect, and then what? Luckily that seems to not have been the case.

Now I feel like there's a hunger inside Angus and the boys to keep proving why AC/DC can continue to do what they do best. Axl is the icing on the cake because he fucking nailed it. He's a modern Brian - someone who sounds good on the entire catalogue without being a carbon copy. Never did I think AC/DC could pull that off again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, James Bond said:

Axl aside, this is a great time to be a fan of this band. Even something as minimal as Riff Raff in the set is a pretty big deal. For most people on this board it probably seems like a non-event since Guns always plays it but AC/DC hasn't since what, 1978? That was the last time it was a set regular which is a damn shame. Barring the one-off VH1 performance with Brian in 1996 it continued to be ignored. Suddenly last night Angus throws it into the encore. I know if I was there and after Highway to Hell I was expecting the usual FTATR and suddenly they're doing Riff Raff I'd probably shit myself. It's great to finally hear Slade doing it with the real band (he's played it with tribute bands).

Angus knew they had just as much winning over to do as Axl so they truly gave it their all and gave us the best set list in over a decade. Well done boys!

I posted about this on the set list thread. The video that AC/DC put up on their facebook page about how they decide setlists - that was really insightful. Angus made it sound like they always think about adding songs to the setlist and Cliff made it sound like it was a great challenge. But I think the real reason that we are seeing new songs being performed is Axl. In the video, Axl sort of guarantees that the band is going to be adding songs. Angus compliments Axl for actually sounding great on the songs. I think it's at least partly down to the fact that Axl has actually impressed Axl with his range and ability but also his enthusiasm.

2 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I posted about this on the set list thread. The video that AC/DC put up on their facebook page about how they decide setlists - that was really insightful. Angus made it sound like they always think about adding songs to the setlist and Cliff made it sound like it was a great challenge. But I think the real reason that we are seeing new songs being performed is Axl. In the video, Axl sort of guarantees that the band is going to be adding songs. Angus compliments Axl for actually sounding great on the songs. I think it's at least partly down to the fact that Axl has actually impressed Axl with his range and ability but also his enthusiasm.

Angus is smartly using Axl to his advantage. Brian, understandably, had age against him and a declining vocal range. Not only can Axl do the material justice but he's even doing it all in the original keys. Angus would be crazy to not try adding a few rarities in and extending the set a bit. Axl is more than capable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I can't see the video. Can you post a link here?

39 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Angus is smartly using Axl to his advantage. Brian, understandably, had age against him and a declining vocal range. Not only can Axl do the material justice but he's even doing it all in the original keys. Angus would be crazy to not try adding a few rarities in and extending the set a bit. Axl is more than capable.

Do you think we'll see some rotating songs if Axl is really what allowed for them to be more adventurous with the setlist? Given that they rehearsed TTM and DED multiple times, and even soundchecked DED, I figured that one at least was a given.