Poll:New Music - which would SELL better? A new AC/DC album with Axl or a new GN'R record?

The Archer

Which would sell better - a new AC/DC album with Axl or a new GN'R album (current NITL lineup)?  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

G N' R hands down, as long as Slash, Duff and maybe Izzy and Steven are involved. 

AC/DC tour has received more hype for a week or two simply because of the backlash /shock value and then Axl immediately silencing critics by an outstanding performance. 

The real G N' R tour hasn't even begun yet.  Vegas/Mexico/Coachella gigs were basically considered warm up gigs...and the hype just from those warm up gigs parrallels the hype from the AC/DC gigs, despite the fact that the AC/DC gigs are much more controversial and it's their main tour.

At the end of the day, AC/DC has released close to a half dozen albums in the last 25 years....GN'R (what the general public considers GN'R) haven't released any.  That fact alone would make a new Guns record (if properly done, of course) probably the biggest selling rock record of the decade.  They wouldn't just outsell AC/DC, they would outsell the entire rock world. 

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

AC/DC for the sole fact that their albums still sell really well despite the declining record sales. So you add their already strong fanbase that buys their records AND the GNR fans who would buy as well, then Axl/DC sells way better.

I voted ACDC simply because I couldn't decide really, I don't think either would do as well as some as you like to think. Maybe a couple of million copies at most for either imo. Would way prefer a half less industrial CD era stuff and half new stuff with Slash GNR album over 'DC Rose album, but I doubt it will happen.

16 hours ago, SEPTEM said:

With all due respect.. Dumb question.

Guns n roses by far.

A new gnr álbum wont last 10 minutes on record stores

This isn't 1991 anymore - regardless of who you think would sell more, there's no such thing as an album in this day and age that flies off of shelves in 10 minutes. Bowie came pretty damn close with Blackstar, but it's a lot easier to sell a huge amount of albums when you pass away 2 days after releasing a new album. 

• Like 1

Tough one, let's say Axl hits big with AC/DC fans live, that would probably translate in Strong sales. A Gn'R record with Slash and Duff would probably sell high as well, so it depends on how well the AC/DC fanbase, which, I'm almost sure, is larger than Gn'R's, receives Axl.

It depends on whether or not Stradlin does a good bit of the songwriting. A Stradlin dominated rock n' roll Guns record would get priority over a DC album, but a Guns record with Axl adding beeps and farts and Slash metalling over the top does not hold much interest. Guns need Izzy to write material.

I think a GNR album would sell a lot more then "another ACDC" album. My argument is this; acdc have released so many mediocre albums and they all sound the same the last 20 years. GNR (the real deal) havent released a album since 1991 and therefore this new GNR album would been hyped up so fucking much! Just see the different interest for the GNR concerts when they are reunited; with new gnr there would be arenas, no it is stadiums! So suddenly GNR are a stadium act again, just like in theyre heydays and i dont see why this new album from these guys would not sell (or dowloaded or how the hell you measure this now) like back in the day. At least the difference in numbers should be more like UY albums vs the razors edge. In my guess is that UY 1 or 2 have sold more than the razors edge 

Edited by vikfrode
  • Like 1

On May 9, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Powerage5 said:

AC/DC would sell better for one simple reason: other than the botched Brian departure, AC/DC has significantly better PR and promotion than GN'R. 

They only messed that up because they fell in love with Axl and Brian leaving wasn't a big deal to them anymore. 

But GNR releasing an album might take the cake, you would be talking about what some would consider the first GNR release since 91...Axl has built a lot of goodwill this year, Slash has his own fantasy that loves him and is loved by everyone anyways, it would get headlines, and I think it could be huge, but it all depends on the material so hopefully we see. 

Stupid question. Guns n' Roses withput a doubt. But not CD era as you added inthe question, if the CD era stuff matches the stuff they write together now then that is great. We have Slash, Axl and Duff back together. We have been waiting on this almost our entire lives some of us. Would love an AC/DC album as well.

2 hours ago, wasted said:

I just think ACDC has nailed on sales.

Whereas there's a lot of fair weather GNR fans who will go to shows but won't buy a cd unless it has hits. 

...with Black Ice, which was remarkably successful given the arsehole had just fallen out of the music industry. Rock Or Bust basically sold Slash style numbers.

Both excellent albums by the way.

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

...with Black Ice, which was remarkably successful given the arsehole had just fallen out of the music industry. Rock Or Bust basically sold Slash style numbers.

Both excellent albums by the way.

Black Ice benefitted from a proper Wal mart deal and armies of loyal fans. Rock or bust sold much less like 100k on release but is to me the better record. 

I don't think quality has much to do with it. 

I'm not sure how to weigh it up. Both reunion and Axl DC have that  novelty factor. So it's a close call but they will both sell like shit. But that doesn't bother Angus. And given how anti PR Guns I'd guess DC sells 4 more mp3s than GNR. 

Probably GN'R. Just because a load of AC/DC fans may boycott the album out of stubbornness. Some of the hard-core fans aren't completely sold on Axl and would be pissed if he was to record with them, I know a lot of GN'R fans would buy the album but I don't think the interest would have the same crossover appeal to the mainstream as a full blown Guns record with Slash would.

Edited by AlexC

GnR.

People waited for a new GnR album with Slash since the mid 90's. There's going to be a lot of casual people who don't want to hear AC/DC without Brian, just like people didn't want to hear GnR without Slash. A new AC/DC album is going to have the CD effect.