Poll:New Music - which would SELL better? A new AC/DC album with Axl or a new GN'R record?

The Archer

Which would sell better - a new AC/DC album with Axl or a new GN'R album (current NITL lineup)?  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assume that the current AC/DC tour goes as well as the Lisbon show did and that Axl proves a stellar, consistent replacement to fill in the role that was once Bon Scott's and then Brian Johnson's. Assume that Angus is convinced that it would be illogical to go back to Brian or look at another option and he asks Axl if he wants to be a full time member of the band for the foreseeable future and record albums and do future tours. Assume that said recording and touring duties do not interfere with Axl's and GN'Rs touring and recording commitments. Assume that Slash and Duff are welcoming of what is essentially Axl's new side project while continuing their own involvement with GN'R (and needless to say, their own touring and recording duties with their own side projects). Assume that Guns N' Roses current NTL line up continues to tour but takes out time to either a) work on old CD 2 material b) work on all new material c) work on a combination of old and fresh material - it doesn't matter what the music is or whether it is 'real Guns N' Roses'  for some, as long as its released under the Guns N' Roses name. Assume that for all practical purposes Izzy and  Steven are not going to be recording for GN'R on this new album and have no major contribution beyond the occasional tour appearance (it is tempting to consider Izzy contributing something for a new GN'R album even if he doesn't tour, as he did with VR, but I'm only interested in a hypothetical situation where we have the line-ups we currently see in front of us, both touring and recording). Assume that these records don't go head to head (unlikely because Axl is going to have to devote time to both bands and divide his time between them).  Assume that this is going to happen despite Axl's notorious reluctance to release music, because he's just found his mojo again and that any collaboration and success with AC/DC is going to push him to make new music with GN'R and take some risks. Assume also that Slash and Duff have signed on with GN'R not just for NITL, but with the intention and possibility of making new music after the tour and that the NITL tour is a success and convinces the current GN'R line up that they need to release new music.

Irrespective of when new music from either line-up comes out first, which do you think will do better commercially? Album Sales, US/UK/International singles charts, Award nominations, Movie soundtracks, iTunes downloads - consider all of these.

NB - I'm not asking who would put out better music or whose music you'd like to listen to, though the quality of the music would obviously factor into its commercial success. I just think that that's not the only factor that's going to be at play when it comes to the music being commercially successful.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

AC/DC album.

If you go from the hype of both bands current tours, then AC/DC with Axl has been talked about way more. 

If Angus let Axl have a little bit of input and write the lyrics then I think it would be an awesome album to boot. 

I would much rather have have a gnr album though. 

• Like 1

GNR for me. Given one album in 23 years it would be more anticipated than a AC/DC album. Plus Axl and Slash together is almost unbeatable. I think a AC/DC album might get the same reaction to what CD got  with GNR with all the Brian fans. Both would still be shit hot albums though 

That's a pretty hard question to answer. It really just depends on how it's marketed. Angus had a great quote on Howard Stern about partnering with Walmart and how that exposes you to the most people, even in middle of nowhere Montana. And we've seen how GNR handles promotion. So gun to my head, I have to choose, I'd assume ACDC would sell more just based on the history of the bands promotion.

Having said that, there is no doubt to me I'd be much more interested in a gnr album. I think the quality of music would be better based off of what we've heard from Chinese, and knowing Slash, Duff and Axl's writing styles. ACDC albums always rock but the last few have just had something missing... flat in a way. So if that is the case with Axl on vocals, I'm very interested and still want to hear it, but I don't expect it to be better musically. Maybe more fun though on a Saturday night.

What if all of your assumptions are true and Angus is rejuvenated with Axl being there and we get the modern day version of Highway to Hell or Back in Black. Very high quality, straight up dirty rock and roll with attitude. I've always wanted an Axl on vocals album like those and hearing shoot to thrill the other day just made me want it even more.

• Like 3

I'm gonna say GNR. It's tough to say but, the acdc fans accepting axl seems partly because it doesn't appear to be a permanent thing, at least for now. But it would sell damn good. A new GNR album with slash and duff regardless of whether it's Chinese material re recorded or newly written would be pretty significant considering we've gotten plenty of new material from one band versus the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sprite said:

What if all of your assumptions are true and Angus is rejuvenated with Axl being there and we get the modern day version of Highway to Hell or Back in Black. Very high quality, straight up dirty rock and roll with attitude. I've always wanted an Axl on vocals album like those and hearing shoot to thrill the other day just made me want it even more.

You already have a Back In Black-esque album with Axl and take it for granted. It's called Appetite for Destruction. :P

• Like 2

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

You already have a Back In Black-esque album with Axl and take it for granted. It's called Appetite for Destruction. :P

haha I know. I love Appetite to no end. I was actually listening to It's So Easy last night just thinking "Damn." Guns really nailed that punk vibe. AC/DC has this bad ass "Heavy simplicity" for lack of a better phrase that only AC/DC has. I don't know how else to say but I'm sure get the point! I'd love to hear Axl on vocals with something like that.

• Like 1

Close call, voted GnR.

Acca/Dacca were working hard for decades has a bigger fanbase. Would probably sell better on the short run.

GnR, they've got so much more to offer, more diversity, would have a better impact. (Sans Izzy maybe not so much, but I assume he would be involved in some capacity, make no mistake it's his band.)

Albums are dead anyway, I guess singles d/w count is a golden standard these days.

This is defenitly hard to decide. Before I do I want to say great wording on your post.

GnR is my favorite band with ACDC being second so I'm familiar with both and how their PR works overall thus far.

As some mentioned there are some fans who haven't gotten over Brian yet. Many though have come to either accept or like that Axl is fronting the band now.

On the GnR side you have of course the fans upset about Izzy and or Steven. We are to assume as per your post they are not on the new album.

Out of the two scenarios I say Guns can overcome that issue easier then ACDC.

I'd like to say one or the other has more fans which would contribute to sales. If we go by social media Guns wins but we all know ACDC has been around longer. Many who feel they are too old for concerts will still buy albums.So 

Then you have GnR practically fully reunited. Again practically is almost not all. They sold out within hours or days.

Guns fans have been waiting for this for a few decades.

Media is a big promoter these days with social media and ACDC has friendlier relations with media thus far.

The coverage of ACDC and again credit to their PR has been positive though Guns has always done well despite the media.

When did you ever think you'd hear Axl front ACDC? 

ACDC for the win due to PR and the mystique.

Though I say Guns could pull it off just as well. I chose ACDC because there had to be a choice and the PR fiasco with CD gave the album with ACDC the edge. With right PR Guns would win hands down.

Edited by BOSSY78
added
  • Like 2

As everyone has alluded to, the optics would matter most.

We all know why Brian can't perform with the band anymore, and we also know why Malcolm can't perform and write with the band anymore. An AC/DC album featuring Axl Rose singing would definitely have a novelty affect surrounding it. General fan curiosity would definitely play a part. It's a little easier to digest, especially after the initial shock. And Brian Johnson is such top class, maybe he even endorses the project to smooth things over. He's just that kind of guy, even though he must be so bummed out. Nothing but respect and admiration for that man!

As for Guns N' Roses, I would think the circumstances are so different that it's hard to gauge. With Izzy and Steven, we don't know why they're not involved in the touring process, let alone any type of writing process for a (possible) future album. The Gn'R PR machine would have to work double-time to play damage control if the touring line-up (re?)-recorded the next album, which ended up being deep cuts from Chinese Democracy. It kind of kills the luster of a writing combo of Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy regrouping to create new Guns N' Roses songs, which I would have to believe, would be the best possible scenario for a new Guns album.

All I know, I'd be there lined up at Wal-Mart to buy both albums regardless.

• Like 1

Do Hard Rock albums even sell anymore? I mean really sell and real Hard Rock. But from these 2, probably Gn'R, just cause it's been 25 years without a Guns album with Slash on it and that's kinda more of a big deal than an AC/DC album with a singer the fan base is not even totally agrees on, like who are you selling it for?

There are also more AC/DC albums and Gn'R's catalog is quite short which again makes any music with Axl's vocals on it and Slash's guitar more interesting to most Guns fans compared to AC/DC fans and their real need for another album with Axl on it when Rock Or Bust was released fairly recently.