what would you consider the first true hard rock album?

action

On 18 May 2016 at 3:51 PM, wasted said:

But The Who are mods and swinging 60s? Not hard rock. They aren't The Almighty. 

Back in Black invented the hard rock genre as we know it I suppose. The format, the no frills, no filler, all killer. You can't sing about druids or mopeds if you're hard rock.

See heres the thing The Who were never mods, i mean they played Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran, in Mod circles thats a sin.  And also, Mod and hard rock arent indivisible, they were modernists and you cant get much more modern in the early 60s than hard rock, the bands that planted the seeds for hard rock were mod favourites.

Edited by Len B'stard

19 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

See heres the thing The Who were never mods, i mean they played Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran, in Mod circles thats a sin.  And also, Mod and hard rock arent indivisible, they were modernists and you cant get much more modern in the early 60s than hard rock, the bands that planted the seeds for hard rock were mod favourites.

I see that as heavy metal. Hard rock as a term was used to differentiate between heavy metal like Zepp and Sabbath and 80s hard rock bands which weren't hair metal or heavy metal. The Who, Stones, Beatles were just rock bands. 

Edited by wasted
Right again

21 minutes ago, wasted said:

I see that as heavy metal. Hard rock as a term was used to differentiate between heavy metal like Zepp and Sabbath and 80s hard rock bands which weren't hair metal or heavy metal.

No it weren't, hard rock was a genre way before the 80s.

7 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

No it weren't, hard rock was a genre way before the 80s.

The seeds were but I wouldn't call it a genre.

It was rock bands and heavy metal.

You only need hard rock as a term after there were rock bands. 

There's nothing hard about the The Who they have pop songs and rock songs with gay keyboards. Pinball wizard? They have prog elements. 

I don't thinking bikers and meth with The Who. They are a great rock band and maybe inspired the next gen of rock. 

• Like 1

On 2016-05-11 at 2:05 PM, action said:

i agree. it's actually quite surprising when you think of it, how little of these albums are actually pure rockers. i think you have to look at a much later date than you'd expect, something like 1973 and beyond. albums like that do exist though, and AC/DC albums are some of the prime examples. they are not blues, not psychedelia, not folk, not metal. just pure hard rock. 

How about...

In_Trance_%28Scorpions_album_-_cover_art

Cream sounded pretty heavy to me.

Most of the original British bands who came to the US in the 60's were pop like the Beatles, but then came The Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin, who took the next step by mixing heavier riffs and blues too.

I think the Beatles got a little heavier later on before they broke up.  I think Steppenwolf were pretty heavy for the 60's too. By the early 70's Black Sabbath came on the scene and that's when I think heavy metal too off.

but there can't be a genre of hard rock when these bands started to have elements of it. It has to come later when a more distinct statement is made which then spawned hard rock bands.,

Back in Black seemed to crystalize everything in the 70s into one pure hard rock statement. 

11 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Cream sounded pretty heavy to me.

Most of the original British bands who came to the US in the 60's were pop like the Beatles, but then came The Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin, who took the next step by mixing heavier riffs and blues too.

I think the Beatles got a little heavier later on before they broke up.  I think Steppenwolf were pretty heavy for the 60's too. By the early 70's Black Sabbath came on the scene and that's when I think heavy metal too off.

Sorry, The Stones are heavier than The Who, on what planet? :lol:. And how were The Who not mixing heavier riffs and blues?  And how was it Zep who took that step, the British Blues Boom was defined by that and those bands were going before Zep even formed.

They showed this bredda below the waist on TV. :shades:

download.jpg

Hey when talking 'firsts' here ladies and gentlemen; I believe this was it; pretty much tame today, but this guy.

Also, Rock means to fornicate so, with that in mind, yeah.

Edited by Snake-Pit

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2016 at 10:27 PM, Len B'stard said:

I think The Who have got this by a mile.  Maximum RnB basically means hard rock, they were the first band doing rock n roll but doing it heavy and without being blues boys first and foremost, you cant listen to The Who, My Generation onwards, and make a serious claim for that music being anything other than Hard Rock, despite the fact they played certain covers, thats the point, its the WAY they played it, ergo, first hard rock album = My Generation by The Who.  And yknow what, no one else comes close.  Hard rock is basically the sound of Townshend, Moonie, The Ox and Roger Daltrey.  

In a funny way Hard Rock is almost an accident, its what happens when you take music like the blues which at that point was characyerised by its finer points and subtlties and flourishes and stick it in the hands of a bunch of English barrow boys and see what comes out.  Not that The Who didnt develop their own finer points but the key thing there was the aggression of it, the forcefulness.

People will say Jimi but quite frankly Jimi took a fair bit from The Who, or, if you like, The Who sort of gave Jimi a pointer to where he could also let go as a performer as they did.

Mad whiteboys are the key here, when Mad white boys take on black music it comes out as something else, this strange and irresistable mutation, for example:

Now that sounds nothing like Muddy Waters but by God its compelling.  When pussy whiteboys take it on its fucked (or even pussy black boys, I'm talking about you Prince) but the psychotic ones, your Keith Moons, Iggy Pops, your MC5s, your Gene Vincents, your Mick Jaggers and Keith Richardses, then you're onto something.  

Perhaps thats the equation, mad whiteboys playing old black mans music :lol:. Someone find some mad whiteboys and force them to make an 80s motown cover band, quick! :lol:

Whilst I completely disagree with you on many things even though you're my hooray for tolerance! on here, saying Jimi got cues from The Who is just fuckin out there. Jimi was the first and the last. The motherfucker was an aboriginal.

1 minute ago, Johnny Drama said:

Whilst I completely disagree with you on many things even though you're my hooray for tolerance! on here, saying Jimi got cues from The Who is just fuckin out there. Jimi was the first and the last. The motherfucker was an aboriginal.

He did and its a fact, a lot of his stage performances took cues from The Who, its not a slight against Jimi, he was very influenced by the British lads, the windmill and all that, the raised arm crashing down on chords, its pure Pete Townshend.  Jimi took cues from a great many people, all that playing with his teeth stuff werent Jimi, thats an old blues thing, his wah wah work is very Curtis Mayfield, BB King also, Bob Dylan too in his songwriting.

Listen, no one rates Jimi more than me but it is what it is...there was a great deal of what he did that was pure origination too.

There's just always been something that I've never got about the The Who. Never understood why they needed to be mentioned in the same breath (albeit the end of said breath) as The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin. I'll give them Moon, but the rest of it all?

1 hour ago, Johnny Drama said:

There's just always been something that I've never got about the The Who. Never understood why they needed to be mentioned in the same breath (albeit the end of said breath) as The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin. I'll give them Moon, but the rest of it all?

No one mentions Zep with them lot anyway, no one that ain't a dribbler anyway.  I'd put The Who ahead of The Stones.  They're just brilliant mate, first two albums are stone cold stonkers, the concept albums, alright you might not think much of the idea behind em but the WAY they are played and the songs unto themselves are fuckin' fantastic.  Bit of a lads band I suppose but more that counter-balanced with a weight of intellect behind em, at least the most musically unique of all of the aforementioned, the musical dynamic there is totally unique and pretty much the birth (and the death insofar as no one can top em) of hard rock.

• 2 weeks later...