Eddie Trunk On Axl In AC/DC - You Have To Give Fans A Holy Sh*t Moment

Funky.Monkey

Everyone has an opinion -- even callers.

For every one person that shares this bozo's opinion about a singer from a band that nobody's ever heard of -- even though they've been around for nearly 30 years -- there's probably 99 others that believe Axl Rose would be a better fit.

I don't know why. Maybe it's the high domed forehead, but Trunk just reminded me of Rush Limbaugh.

Trunk views this as solely, or primarily a monetary decision and I just don't agree. Axl has proved his ability to do the work.

Lastly, I find it a little amusing that while Trunk airs his opinion that if AC/DC were going for a 'tribute' singer (or someone who would sound like he could fit the role), he would go for 'that guy from Airbourne', whom he, like most other people, just can't name.

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl is breathing life into a band on the ropes after losing Brian...these guys never want to retire and they almost had to...but here comes Axl with no bag of issues and a brilliant voice to save the day. A guy that's been there before and yet some silly ACDC fans can't put their pride aside and let this guy carry your band on a broken foot. They want a tribute singer to come in and mimick ACDC to the finish line when the real deal Axl F'n Rose is putting on the performances of his life and taking this band to their next chapter. This band should have died when they cancelled this tour, and yet here they are trending around the world because of one guy! Time to show him some respect for taking this on

tumblr_nzo42uRM2M1v1u6tao1_500.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Archer said:

I don't know why. Maybe it's the high domed forehead, but Trunk just reminded me of Rush Limbaugh.

Trunk views this as solely, or primarily a monetary decision and I just don't agree. Axl has proved his ability to do the work.

Lastly, I find it a little amusing that while Trunk airs his opinion that if AC/DC were going for a 'tribute' singer (or someone who would sound like he could fit the role), he would go for 'that guy from Airbourne', whom he, like most other people, just can't name.

No doubt Axl has proved his worth, and Angus wouldn't have auditioned tribute band singers if he hadn't considered them a viable option.

All that being said, it's hard to argue with what Trunk is saying - even if you don't agree that it was Angus' primary motive in picking Axl. I definitely don't know who Rhino Bucket are, and I sure as hell wouldn't see an AC/DC show with their frontman if I'd paid to see Brian.

6 hours ago, highvoltage said:

No doubt Axl has proved his worth, and Angus wouldn't have auditioned tribute band singers if he hadn't considered them a viable option.

All that being said, it's hard to argue with what Trunk is saying - even if you don't agree that it was Angus' primary motive in picking Axl. I definitely don't know who Rhino Bucket are, and I sure as hell wouldn't see an AC/DC show with their frontman if I'd paid to see Brian.

I'd heard of Rhino Bucket in AC/DC forums before - I think it was because Simon Wright was in the band for a while. On the matter of not getting a big name, I think there is some merit in believing that people may have gone to see AC/DC even if it weren't Axl, or at least considered the possibility. At the least, Angus has seen it all happen once before, but the difference is that this time around, AC/DC isn't a band on the way up with a cult following, but a much bigger name with a frontman who had been there for 36 years. So, Brian's fan-base has been 'invested' in him. Also, they haven't done anything like releasing a magnificent new record with a new singer, so it does make it much tougher for people to accept a new face. I just think that the reason Angus auditioned all those singers was to find the right 'fit' - and getting a marquee name alone wouldn't have been enough. For example, while AC/DC may have been comfortable with Steven Tyler ( they go way back - they opened for Aerosmith back in the day, he did the HOF intro etc) , IMO I don't think that Steven Tyler could have done all these songs - and his was one of the 'big names' that was mentioned as being considered. But it is possible to believe that Steven Tyler + AC/DC could have been marketed as a classic rock marriage made in heaven. As for the guy from Airbourne whose name I still don't know, though I've always thought he sounded like he could do AC/DC from the moment I first heard him, and he probably could have done the work, who knows if he would have had the confidence or would have 'fit' the band? I do think that Angus was methodical in weeding out all the alternatives and did a good job there, but from what I perceive, the choice probably came down to a combination of things - 1) ability to do the work (sing the crap out of the songs) 2) 'fit'/comfort with the band - Axl has clearly turned on the charm here, while going all out fanboy and convincing the AC/DC guys of his sincerity and it seems they are comfortable working with him 3) marketability - no question there either 4) 'confidence/charisma' - he has done sold out stadium shows before and even with all the questions about the issues he has had going late etc. - he is not going to piss his pants when 50000 people scream his name or start booing.

Edited by The Archer

25 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I think AC/DC auditioned the tribute band singers just for political correctness. The Axl deal was sealed from the very minute he called them. Angus is not an idiot.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that they flew in Axl for rehearsals and were prepared to say "sorry not good enough, we'll use a tribute singer instead." It all seems irrelevant at this point because he's doing a great job on the vocals. It worked out very well for Angus considering the circumstances.

4 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that they flew in Axl for rehearsals and were prepared to say "sorry not good enough, we'll use a tribute singer instead." It all seems irrelevant at this point because he's doing a great job on the vocals. It worked out very well for Angus considering the circumstances.

What if (not saying that he would have) he had turned out to be a dick :P? Angus would have been wise in having alternatives ready.

They must have shit their pants when Axl broke out those vocals at his try out...like "wait this guy is said to not have a voice anymore, wtf!" 

Oh oh and the holy shit moment hasn't happened yet, that's going to be the show Axl comes out in the chair and half way through back in black he jumps out kicks the chair aside and storms down the catwalk screaming his head off as the crowd goes into a frenzy 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

He doesn't have to do anything that he doesn't want to.

He has to, out of respect to the band he idolizes.

Adding to that, he *is* a 'hired hand' right now, so I don't think he has a lot of say as to whether he feels he needs to rehearse, or not.

The best thing out of this is, he can finally see how this practice benefits him as a singer.

44 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

He has to, out of respect to the band he idolizes.

Adding to that, he *is* a 'hired hand' right now, so I don't think he has a lot of say as to whether he feels he needs to rehearse, or not.

The best thing out of this is, he can finally see how this practice benefits him as a singer.

Everyone has free will. Axl has made his choices.

22 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Gotta love Angus. In his interview he said he had to audition those recommended to make it fair. His wording made it sound like Axl was always the choice.

10 hours ago, Karri said:

Not really, now he is actually rehearsing, because he has to.

I think the rehearsals are more on he needs to learn the songs and how r he band plays, set list etc for the most part.