anyone else more excited for Axl/DC than the reunion?

HeartbreakerWoman

To be honest having been a GN'R fan for so long, the reunion (or anything GN'R related) isn't nearly as exciting to me as the reunion. There's so much baggage that comes with GN'R, and I've heard the songs so many times that, while it's cool and really heartwarming that Axl and Slash made up, it's not nearly as novel as Axl/Dc. We never seen Axl with another band before, in a place truly out of his comfort zone, and he seems to be enjoying it and putting his best into it which makes it that much better. I love GN'R still don't get me wrong, but there's nothing as great as hearing Axl on pure, old fashioned hard rock songs, which really GN'R hasn't been 100% about since AFD. I dunno if this is going to be a short term thing or a long term thing with AC/DC but I'm hoping its long term. Imagine a DC album with Axl's lyricism and his vocals as they are now? 

So, am I the only one who is a lot more interested in Axl/Dc than in the regrouped GN'R at the moment? My enthusiasm for regrouped GN'R would be much higher if there were plans for a new song or two. But seeing Axl live with DC is like having a whole album of new Axl vox.

• Like 2

I was a bit more excited by the AC/DC thing at first, now he's got a couple of shows under his belt I'm starting to want gnr back.

ive got a ticket to see AC/DC in June, and I'm looking forward to it, but I really want to see Guns n Roses more. 

We haven't been able to see the big three truly interact yet because of Axls injury. 

Once he's back on his feet i should imagine the gnr shows to be something else. 

My life parallels Guns more.. and a bit like axl's . Madagascar .. im can be alone even in a room of 100 people im  an only  child with 5 brothers.... My alcohol and drug addictions... Losing a loved one to someone else ( I found someone better thou) estranged street f dream this is love etc etc etc Im happy for axl hes doing well but if i had to choose 1 show tomorow its the reunion

Yeah, I'm all for Axl joining AC/DC permanently and recording albums with them. GN'R reunion happened too late, specially with Axl touring the GNR catalogue intensely since 2006. If that had not happened, I'd be way more engaged with the reunion thing but I'm bored with those songs. The only songs I go happy about are CD ones, slightly modified by Slash, they sound like new songs and that is VERY exciting.

If I knew GNR has a plan of releasing a new album then I'd be back in excitement, but that seems like a dream right now. 

We've seen Axl with ACDC giving interviews, talking about music, his challenge in singing... Of course, all that makes you feel like he's more ready to work with them than with Slash and Duff.

Axl has talked more during ACDC shows than he did with recent GNR shows. I think only in Mexico he let himself go and even try Spanish, but the rest of them he never communicated that much with the audience. 

No. It's only logical. I'm seeing Axl/DC next week and I'm thrilled about that, but I'm not an AC/DC fan. I'm a GNR fan and an Axl fan. I want Axl in GNR. To me, GNR songs are much more diverse than AC/DC. It's all screams to me, I like that sometimes, not all of the time. I have to admit I haven't watched that many clips yet, but I love Axl's softer voice too, and a poster who went to the Lisbon gig said something like there can be something like too much rasp (crazy as it sounds). I think that's how I'll feel as well.

I'm happy that Axl got this chance and is nailing it though. He seems happy and I would hope that that can only be positive for GNR too. This is a nice surprise and all, and this is infinitely better than Axl disappearing off the face of the Earth, so I'm not complaining, but I hope that after these tour dates, Axl will go for GNR again, 100%.

I'm excited for both and after the Lisbon show I was feeling very, very exhilarated with Axl/DC. But then they posted that video from Troubadour and that part when Slash and Axl are walking together, talking and smiling warmed so much my heart that, yeah, GN'R reunion first and foremost.
 :axl: :heart: :slash:

• Like 3

No. I think it's great listening to Axl smash those songs with AC/ DC and I couldn't be happier for him. But I think the reason it seems more exciting is because we're hearing Axl singing different songs instead of the usual GNR songs. This is the main reason why Axl needs to release some new material with GNR. I think if it was out there that there was a new GNR album being worked on the excitement for the reunion would be unmatched. But let's all enjoy the here and now and that's listening to Axl killing it with AC/DC. 

Edited by Gold top 78
Typo

'DC's tour at least has the common decency to be in support of a new album of which two new songs are play, albeit this is a bit academic in regards to Axl. Guns' American cash jaunt neither has a new song (s), nor a new finished product.

Well I was waaay more excited for the "reunion".   But overall not a fan of the lineup and don't think they sound great.. Kind of a major let down..

I was interested in AXL/DC but had no idea how good it would be. Axl sound fucking phenomenal. I watched all but maybe one song from the first show at least once. Just watched a few of these. I am completely blown away and almost in disbelief of how great Axl sounds.. I try and watch videos from the GnR2016 and can hardly make it all the way through any of them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Very excited for both, but yes, I think I'm more excited about this than the reunion at this point in time.

Both as a fan of Axl and a fan of AC/DC... they seem to be mutually benefiting one another, breathing life into both their respective careers at the point where you thought you'd "seen it all" where both of them were concerned. Axl at this level of intensity was something I didn't think I'd ever get to hear again.... let alone seem so relaxed and confident in the process.

The GN'R reunion is an amazing event in it's own right and I can't wait to see the rest of it. But hearing a rejuvenated Axl sing a completely different setlist... that just happens to be comprised of songs written by my other favourite band? Given how completely impossible this reality seemed just a few months ago, it's just in another league for me. The fact that it's exceeding all expectations is incredible. You will never see two "rock" acts of this magnitude merge in such a fashion ever again. It's literally a once in a lifetime, beyond imagination, blink and you'll miss it event - the GN'R reunion was always going to happen with enough water under the bridge and money thrown at the situation.

As an AC/DC fan, were you dubious about Axl fronting the band? I don't mean because of the 'mickey' crap but his voice in general fitting with the material? Bon and Brian were more throaty than Axl. I mean, did the AC/DC fan side of you have any reservations?

As to GN'R...I'm not trying to put down the reunion, it's just I've seen so many bootlegs, seen them live a few times that Axl and Slash isn't exciting to me on stage. The prospect of a new song, or a new album? Now, that would be insanely exciting.

6 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Very excited for both, but yes, I think I'm more excited about this than the reunion at this point in time.

Both as a fan of Axl and a fan of AC/DC... they seem to be mutually benefiting one another, breathing life into both their respective careers at the point where you thought you'd "seen it all" where both of them were concerned. Axl at this level of intensity was something I didn't think I'd ever get to hear again.... let alone seem so relaxed and confident in the process.

The GN'R reunion is an amazing event in it's own right and I can't wait to see the rest of it. But hearing a rejuvenated Axl sing a completely different setlist... that just happens to be comprised of songs written by my other favourite band? Given how completely impossible this reality seemed just a few months ago, it's just in another league for me. The fact that it's exceeding all expectations is incredible. You will never see two "rock" acts of this magnitude merge in such a fashion ever again. It's literally a once in a lifetime, beyond imagination, blink and you'll miss it event - the GN'R reunion was always going to happen with enough water under the bridge and money thrown at the situation.

I feel very much like this - both bands are hugely important to me and Axl/DC is just ahead for me right now. I think I was more excited ten years ago or would have been more excited with the reunion ten years ago. But, I always wanted to hear Axl on more AC/DC ever since I first heard Guns covering them. I just think that this is a big win-win all round. Axl's stint, short or long term, with AC/DC is only going to benefit him and GN'R, IMO. I can't wait to see the effect that it has on Guns N' Roses and what kind of music we could potentially get out of both these bands. From the time I first heard that Slash had left the band and wasn't coming back, things have never looked this good overall.

I really don't have much hope for Guns N' Roses :(

Axl is functioning GREAT, excellent, with a different band in which he's actually NOT the boss. So this tells me Axl needs to drop the business side of the band, focus on his singing, art, music.

The burden that is Guns N' Roses leaves him without energy for the shows. Why does Axl shine with AC/DC and not with Guns N' Roses?

I don't think when he's back to his band things are going to change, because it's not that, its AC/DC what makes him great. No more AC/DC no more cool Axl.

GN'R is rotten inside.

35 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I really don't have much hope for Guns N' Roses :(

Axl is functioning GREAT, excellent, with a different band in which he's actually NOT the boss. So this tells me Axl needs to drop the business side of the band, focus on his singing, art, music.

The burden that is Guns N' Roses leaves him without energy for the shows. Why does Axl shine with AC/DC and not with Guns N' Roses?

I don't think when he's back to his band things are going to change, because it's not that, its AC/DC what makes him great. No more AC/DC no more cool Axl.

GN'R is rotten inside.

I empathize with some of what you are feeling. But let's just give it some time. For all you know, there are long term changes that have happened in Axl's life that have made him more focused and productive (and amenable to working with his former bandmates). I'm in the lot that thinks that AC/DC is going to rub off positively on Axl and that his stint with them is going to have positive spin-offs for his time in GN'R as well. It could be reasonably argued that he might lose his voice, burnout, lose interest in GN'R etc. Valid criticism or concerns, of course. But, we cannot know for sure till we see how things pan out. Keep your chin up and keep the faith, I say! Let's hope for the best.

5 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I empathize with some of what you are feeling. But let's just give it some time. For all you know, there are long term changes that have happened in Axl's life that have made him more focused and productive (and amenable to working with his former bandmates). I'm in the lot that thinks that AC/DC is going to rub off positively on Axl and that his stint with them is going to have positive spin-offs for his time in GN'R as well. It could be reasonably argued that he might lose his voice, burnout, lose interest in GN'R etc. Valid criticism or concerns, of course. But, we cannot know for sure till we see how things pan out. Keep your chin up and keep the faith, I say! Let's hope for the best.

But Gn'R is already back and we didn't see with them what we saw with AC/DC.

Where are the GN'R interviews? Videos, mag interviews, fans having access to them as a band? The reunion was announced in December, 2015! It's almost half a year already and the ACDC thing, in 2 weeks, has taken over everything we knew before.

What GN'R reunion show got a 5 stars review from the media? We got a bunch of negative crap. And only a few good reviews.

I'm sorry but Slash and Duff are hired hands just like Ferrer and Fortus. They are not in charge of this band, thats why it fails, because its all on Axl's shoulders. Its too much for one man.
He needs a really good manager.

21 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

I am not excited about constant, pointless touring. After the first two shows, it gets old.

The AC/DC tour has a whole lot more purpose than the GN'R tour does so far. The AC/DC tour is promoting a new album (Albeit not one with this lineup, but still...). As far as we know so far, the GN'R tour is just a cash grab. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

Where are the GN'R interviews? Videos, mag interviews, fans having access to them as a band? The reunion was announced in December, 2015! It's almost half a year already and the ACDC thing, in 2 weeks, has taken over everything we knew before.

What GN'R reunion show got a 5 stars review from the media? We got a bunch of negative crap. And only a few good reviews.

I'm sorry but Slash and Duff are hired hands just like Ferrer and Fortus. They are not in charge of this band, thats why it fails, because its all on Axl's shoulders. Its too much for one man.

Maybe, you're right. Maybe it doesn't work better because Axl is in charge of GN'R. (I know many of the diehard Slash fans would hate to admit that it is Axl's band but it is what it is - hired hands or limited partnership or whatever it is, this is still primarily the Axl Rose show).  GN'R has problems. We all know that. I think that we just have to be patient and let things work out by themselves. If it is an unsustainable project, Slash and Duff will leave and nothing that anyone does or says can stop them. I hate to have to advocate being an optimist sometimes, but I just think that after everything we've experienced so far with GN'R, it is better to take things as they come and be optimistic - the best we can hope for is Axl at the helm of two great bands and GN'R in some shape of form reclaiming some old glory. At worst, it just may be the truth that GN'R just muddles along and doesn't release new music - we are pretty used to that anyway. About his voice - it may be true that at this point in time, Axl now has a voice more suited for AC/DC or it could just be that doing those 20+ rehearsals has had its effect. It would be a huge bonus if the truth is that Axl truly realizes that rehearsals help outperform expectations, if it is indeed the lack of rehearsals that held him back with Gn'R. Will any such realization be enough to make him rehearse with GN'R? I don't know. But I sure hope that the new environment that he's a part of helps him make changes to his own rodeo - particularly when it comes to band and fan interaction, rehearsals, releasing new music, improvements in social media, being on time - hell, everything that AC/DC is good at, but GN'R doesn't do well..and if it doesn't, well we might just have to accept that being fans of a dysfunctional band with a tortured genius at the helm, we just can't have it all.

Edited by The Archer

29 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Hired hands? Get your facts straight.