Reverting to GnR material after Axl/DC

scooby845

What do you guys think now that Axl has blew some steam off with AC/DC, is he going to drop those AC/DC covers from GnR set and thus open more space for bringing back deep cuts like Locomotive, Breakdown, Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up, So Fine...? It would be great seeing those back!

Share your thoughts...

• Like 1

Axl Rose has found a new  energy within himself, and I think one reason is due to the fact that he is playing music that he has had to rehearse and LEARN.

Thus my theory is that we will see a revitalized Axl when he returns to GN'R, and could in fact see some of the deeper cuts mentioned above. He would have to rehearse and re-learn the songs - plus with this new level of confidence, I believe the chances are more likely than not.

Edited by GNRFan53
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

What do you guys think now that Axl has blew some steam off with AC/DC, is he going to drop those AC/DC covers from GnR set and thus open more space for bringing back deep cuts like Locomotive, Breakdown, Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up, So Fine...? It would be great seeing those back!

Share your thoughts...

Two thoughts...first when I saw the title, somehow I knew it was you who posted it.

Second, on this current tour, they only played AC/DC covers when Angus joined them onstage as a guest at Coachella.  So, they've already been dropped from the set.

Now for my opinion, they need to drop more covers in my opinion to make room for actual GnR songs as you mentioned.

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Two thoughts...first when I saw the title, somehow I knew it was you who posted it.

And by that you mean what?

As far as covers go, they should drop The Seeker completely and put Yesterdays as staple, drop Attitude or New Rose and make Don't Cry staple (not interchanging it with Patience from show to show).. as well some deeper cuts...

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Reverting to GnR material after Axl/DC..... what a drag :P

I don't quite follow...?

Axl has been playing with his voice for the last few weeks, he had to find what works for ACDC and I think that toying around with different vocals will land us some different vocals on various songs in the Guns set. He's likely liked a couple voices he's tried out and thought to himself that they might work on this gnr song. 

I think it will be great for the gnr tour in the sense that it's opened his mind to trying new things where as before the reunion was a continuation of what he was doing with nugnr and he knew what worked well enough and got away with it, now Axl has to be thinking he can expand his vocal use and add more depth into the gnr set, but we will see...he might be tired of singing SCOM 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scooby845 said:

And by that you mean what?

As far as covers go, they should drop The Seeker completely and put Yesterdays as staple, drop Attitude or New Rose and make Don't Cry staple (not interchanging it with Patience from show to show).. as well some deeper cuts...

Sorry I don't know what I meant by that...I don't think I meant anything other than It just seemed like something you'd post :) 

I wish they'd get rid of every cover including LALD and KOHD, but you're off to a good start!

1 hour ago, sonofnazareth said:

Absolutely yes. 

lulz......since there has been hardly any Mickey as it is, why would you think that?   Oh wait...I forgot you think anything that isn't rasp is Mickey, that explains it :)

I love hearing Duff sing New Rose and Attitude. Its a harmless kick ass 1:30 and of course Slash being the world renowned accomplish guitar hero he is deserves his Godfather solo spot. The fans are really into those and always have been.

However when you add in a terrible cover like The Seeker just to please the hold overs from nu-guns plus other covers like LALD & KOHD you really zap that incredible energy garnered from your very own classic hits like Jungle and Nightrain between the band and the fans.

Now cut the fat and be more like ACDC. When ACDC fans attend their show they know they are getting ACDC, 100%. They play every show as if its their last or first for that matter.

That is a big difference between current GN'R and AXL/DC. I'm hoping that acdc has helped Axl see the light and I'm sure Duff and Slash observing AXL/DC from the outside feel are a little embarrassed by how tight AXL/DC shows are compared to themselves. I'm sure a huge part of them is immensely proud of Axl whie a little embarrassed and humbled at the same time.

Get it together guys!!

7 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Sorry I don't know what I meant by that...I don't think I meant anything other than It just seemed like something you'd post :) 

I wish they'd get rid of every cover including LALD and KOHD, but you're off to a good start!

lulz......since there has been hardly any Mickey as it is, why would you think that?   Oh wait...I forgot you think anything that isn't rasp is Mickey, that explains it :)

I respect your opinion..we each have our own. 

9 hours ago, tsinindy said:

There has been Mickey voice all the way with GNR, just listen to SCOM, Estranged, Coma, YCBM, Paradise City, Jungle etc they all have some moments where his old voice comes through but mostly weak falsetto.

A good way to know when he is singing like he should is when the vocals overpower all instruments, thats the real Axl voice we are all want to hear.

25 minutes ago, Bono said:

I swear the reason he's able to sing like this full out with AC/DC is because there are no extended melodies in AC/DC's music. In a way their songs require more of a shouting/singing style rather than a  flat out singing style. Look at a  song like Back in Black for example and compare it to YCBM.  Back in Black requires short quick bursts of vocals where YCBM requires melodies to be held. Same with a song like Rock or Bust compared to SCOM or Thunderstruck compared to Rocket Queen. GnR's music requires Axl to hold notes longer and that's when the Mickey starts creeping in. I swear the AC/DC material is much easier for him to sing cause he's able to shout it out rather than sing it out. 

make sense? 

Makes totally sense! I agree on that, havent thought of it that way before.

yup thats exactly it which is why I had a hard time understanding ACDC fansand their reasoning as to why Axl could never pull of singing ACDC songs. I told them Axl would pull it off easily because he is a flat out better singer and they laughed

Edited by Top-Hatted One

3 hours ago, jockethebastard said:

There has been Mickey voice all the way with GNR, just listen to SCOM, Estranged, Coma, YCBM, Paradise City, Jungle etc they all have some moments where his old voice comes through but mostly weak falsetto.

A good way to know when he is singing like he should is when the vocals overpower all instruments, thats the real Axl voice we are all want to hear.

I'm sorry but first off, you butted in on something that you don't really know the background on.   With that being said, I don't disagree there have been moments (very few, but certainly there have been) of Mickey.  As I was alluding to, however, lack of rasp in my opinion  , doesn't automatically equate to "Mickey" voice.  Go listen to the studio recording of SCOM for example, there is no rasp in that recording.  So it's Mickey according to what you two are saying.

i was at both Vegas shows, so I know what I heard.  Did I hear Mickey?  Um, yes but only a couple times...late in Estranged on night one for example.  

Now, does that mean the songs are all being sung well or great?  No, but that isn't the conversation we are having right now.

32 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

yup thats exactly it which is why I had a hard time understanding ACDC and their reasoning as to why Axl could never pull of singing ACDC songs. I told them Axl would pull it off easily because he is a flat out better singer and they laughed

Apparently they listened to you.

Edited by tsinindy

These shows are definitely not blowing off steam, the Rock Or Bust tour has had ongoing problems and challenges from the day they decided to go on without Malcolm, who was the figurehead, founding member, running the business side of it, and songwriter. Brian stepping down in the middle of the second "go round".... the way I see it, everyone who wanted to see the Rock or Bust tour, saw it, just like a lot of GNR fans are making a point to get the stadium show tickets in case there is no "later". 

What goes in the setlist is kind of like making "the perfect mix tape" and you're trying to weigh a lot of things out, but AC/DC and GNR aren't known for changing setlists on tour and maybe swapping a couple of songs out. GNR hashed out 3 months of rehearsals and went through the catalog, how much of it Axl was there for, the band would have to answer that one. I didn't expect radical changes to the setlist from 2014.

I think the problem fans face is seeing each and every show on Periscope or on You Tube, getting to the show, feeling like they've seen it all before. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I love hearing Duff sing New Rose and Attitude. Its a harmless kick ass 1:30 and of course Slash being the world renowned accomplish guitar hero he is deserves his Godfather solo spot. The fans are really into those and always have been.

However when you add in a terrible cover like The Seeker just to please the hold overs from nu-guns plus other covers like LALD & KOHD you really zap that incredible energy garnered from your very own classic hits like Jungle and Nightrain between the band and the fans.

Now cut the fat and be more like ACDC. When ACDC fans attend their show they know they are getting ACDC, 100%. They play every show as if its their last or first for that matter.

That is a big difference between current GN'R and AXL/DC. I'm hoping that acdc has helped Axl see the light and I'm sure Duff and Slash observing AXL/DC from the outside feel are a little embarrassed by how tight AXL/DC shows are compared to themselves. I'm sure a huge part of them is immensely proud of Axl whie a little embarrassed and humbled at the same time.

Get it together guys!!

I agree with everything in this post except - "However when you add in a terrible cover like The Seeker just to please the hold overs from nu-guns". I've never liked the Guns covering Seeker, but is it true that Axl does this for Fortus/Frank?

On 11/05/2016 at 9:28 PM, IncitingChaos said:

Axl has been playing with his voice for the last few weeks, he had to find what works for ACDC and I think that toying around with different vocals will land us some different vocals on various songs in the Guns set. He's likely liked a couple voices he's tried out and thought to himself that they might work on this gnr song. 

I think it will be great for the gnr tour in the sense that it's opened his mind to trying new things where as before the reunion was a continuation of what he was doing with nugnr and he knew what worked well enough and got away with it, now Axl has to be thinking he can expand his vocal use and add more depth into the gnr set, but we will see...he might be tired of singing SCOM 

Singing it in Stadiums again will provide a spark though...I think he loves the BIG TIME! MOJOS back