AC/DC's albums between 1983-1988

Sosso

Just now, Sosso said:

I wouldn't say that. Songs like "House of Jazz" or "Anything Goes" would be out of place on albums like "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" for example.

I think if you talk about the Brian Johnson years I am sure there are a few over the years but IMHO not too many songs that would be out of place on any of those albums though............:shrugs:

7 hours ago, classicrawker said:

I think if you talk about the Brian Johnson years I am sure there are a few over the years but IMHO not too many songs that would be out of place on any of those albums though............:shrugs:

I don't think so - the Bon era material was just very different because the quality of the lyrics was just better. Sure, the band sounds the same in many respects. But I think that most of the Brian Johnson era material from the mid 80's onwards down to even the last two albums just can't be compared to the early years. I cannot ever imagine the band with Bon writing something like Danger, Safe in New York City, Rock N' Roll Train or even Thunderstruck. I'd actually say the reverse is true - only a few of the Bon era songs might fit in a stand alone Brian era catalogue, if you take out the first few albums.

Back on topic  - FOTS is pretty good overall, the only thing I like from FOW is Shake your Foundations, I could never make sense of it but I always liked the song Who made Who and the only thing I like from BUYV is That's the way I wanna Rock N' Roll.

50 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I don't think so - the Bon era material was just very different because the quality of the lyrics was just better. Sure, the band sounds the same in many respects. But I think that most of the Brian Johnson era material from the mid 80's onwards down to even the last two albums just can't be compared to the early years. I cannot ever imagine the band with Bon writing something like Danger, Safe in New York City, Rock N' Roll Train or even Thunderstruck. I'd actually say the reverse is true - only a few of the Bon era songs might fit in a stand alone Brian era catalogue, if you take out the first few albums.

Back on topic  - FOTS is pretty good overall, the only thing I like from FOW is Shake your Foundations, I could never make sense of it but I always liked the song Who made Who and the only thing I like from BUYV is That's the way I wanna Rock N' Roll.

Yeah but the fact that the basic songs sound the same is my point..............but O.K. how about we separate the two era's then and look a them separately?...IMHO just about any song in the Scott era is interchangeable on any of the Scott era albums. For the Johnson era the albums are even more homogeneous IMHO. Not much difference stylistically between albums especially in the Johnson era. Personally I don't think there is a really bad album in their whole career for both era's

I am not saying this as a criticism just an observation. One of the things I love about the band is you know what you are going to get stylistically..........Some albums may be stronger then others but all in alll they are basic riff driven songs.

Edited by classicrawker

Just now, classicrawker said:

Yeah but the fact that the basic songs sound the same is my point..............but O.K. how about we separate the two era's then and look a them separately?...IMHO just about any song in the Scott era is interchangeable on any of the Scott era albums. For the Johnson era the albums are even more homogeneous IMHO. Not much difference stylistically between albums especially in the Johnson era. 

I am not saying this as a criticism just an observation. One of the things I love about the band is you know what you are going to get stylistically..........Some albums may be stronger then others but all in alll they are basic riff driven songs.

I can buy that. But I do think that there's much more variation within all of Bon's catalogue than there is in all of Brian's. Also, the band itself very clearly evolves from Can I sit next to you girl through to Night Prowler.

8 hours ago, The Archer said:

I can buy that. But I do think that there's much more variation within all of Bon's catalogue than there is in all of Brian's. Also, the band itself very clearly evolves from Can I sit next to you girl through to Night Prowler.

Agreed........

Love Night Prowler.

I might take a beating for this considering how some hate Myles but he did an AC/DC set with Gov't Mule on New Years eve and while I don't think his voice fits the music I did like their version of Night Prowler. They did a killer version of "Ride On" which is a similar riff to Night Prowler and then went right into that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz2KGO9Y2PI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWhhgOdkwI0

Edited by classicrawker

Reading some of this thread, I'm a little confused on my thoughts, but I have always thought Brian's vocals in Blow Up Your Video, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip, and most of Black Ice

ARE TOO LOUD, making him sound a lot worse than he had too...Rock or Bust I thought was AC/DC's finest since The Razor's Edge.

Flick of the Switch and Fly on the Wall's vocals were good IMO. Blow Up Your Video and Stiff Upper Lip are BY FAR the worst things to ever have an AC/DC label on them!