Axl Rose's Legacy

It does seem a bit strange that the GNR reunion only just got going and Axl DC is stealing all the thunder. I guess though once the GNR NFL tour starts this AC Rose will fade into history. Unless shit gets real unconventional. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Dude said:

I thought he had already solidified his legacy, but he's cemented it in stone now. These Axl/DC gigs have been phenomenal so far- really this chapter is the stuff of legend. His whole career has been really. I really think he has all the credentials to be considered the greatest frontman of all time-artistic and commercial success, stage presence, creative vision, peer respect, intense hatred from the haters, the voice, the writing- he's just the whole package really. I can't think of another frontman who's even in his league and it would just be downright silly for anyone to even be mentioned in the same conversation as him at this point with the possible exception of Jagger. Personally I don't think Mick's in Axl's league as a singer, frontman, or lyricist, but I try to be objective about these things. I think its fair to say that Axl Rose is the most rock star rock star of all time.

You forgot to state that your post was merely your own opinion.

23 hours ago, Bono said:

One other thing that would really help the way he's percieved by the public is to do some late night talk show appearances. Do an interview with Kimmel. Play some game on Fallon, do some carpool karoeke on James Corden.......... Maybe he just doesn't wanna do that stuff but Axl has the personality that if he did the "haters" would say wow he actually seems like a really nice guy. Having people think you're a nice guy doesn't hurt that's for damn sure. 

Yes! It would be brilliant if he went on Fallon! Just to show that he doesn't always take himself too seriously..do a history of Rock, or a lip sync battle.. Jimmy can end with the "thanks to the lame ass security.." walk off the set, and then Axl can go "what a dick". haha! We need to make this happen somehow :) 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2016 at 9:08 PM, BadApples87 said:

Axl Rose was the best from 87-90.  91-93 was a mixed bag of awesome and destruction.  1994-2015 he became a joke, which is really sad.  Now, the current chapter, titled  "Redemption" will greatly improve his legacy so long as things go well......and so far they are!

1994-2015 he was not a complete joke.. he had some great shows and a solid album.    There were a few duds and a some long unforunate periods of silence.. but the shows around 2006 were fantastic.

4 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

You forgot to state that your post was merely your own opinion.

Dude that's the third time you've told that to someone today haha. Obviously it's an opinion. That's the point of a forum. Why do you need to reassure yourself and others that it's their opinion whenever they say something positive about Axl?

On topic he's my favorite singer and its cool to see him having a good year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sprite said:

Dude that's the third time you've told that to someone today haha. Obviously it's an opinion. That's the point of a forum. Why do you need to reassure yourself and others that it's their opinion whenever they say something positive about Axl?

On topic he's my favorite singer and its cool to see him having a good year. 

No no, some of these posters on here are getting a tad carried away with themselves lately, I had enough of it haha. 

He's also my favourite singer/frontman, when he's on form, which has been pretty rarely post '93. He still ruined my favourite band of all time, so, although I'm delighted he's back on form with 'DC and rising to the top of the rock world, he was still an absolute fucking plonker for quite some time there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The fact he said "I think" repeatedly throughout the post should have made it pretty obvious.

'I can't think of another frontman who's even in his league and it would just be downright silly for anyone to be even mentioned in the same conversation as him at this point'

Herein lies my problem with his post. He posted it as fact, when in truth, it is pure horseshit.

Just now, Philipm787 said:

'I can't think of another frontman who's even in his league and it would just be downright silly for anyone to be even mentioned in the same conversation as him at this point'

Herein lies my problem with his post. He posted it as fact, when in truth, it is pure horseshit.

No, he said "I think" which makes it 100% his opinion. Disagree with it all you want, but his opinion is NO LESS VALID than yours.

14 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Which implies the exact same damn thing. His entire post is opinion and the fact you expect him to say "in my opinion" on literally every sentence is ridiculous.

I didn't take from it that it was his opinion, but perhaps it was, perhaps I am wrong?

7 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

I didn't take from it that it was his opinion, but perhaps it was, perhaps I am wrong?

"I can't think of a frontman as good as Axl."

"I think Axl is a better frontman than anyone."

These statements are an expression of the exact same opinion, they are just worded differently. His entire post is an opinion for that matter.

On 5/13/2016 at 7:04 PM, Original said:

It seems Axl is gonna go out like he came in.   He/Guns came outta nowhere....blew up huge and then poof.   Now all of a sudden he/they are the biggest thing going.   And (it's sad but he's 54 and not getting younger) I have a feeling they are gonna blow up again (in a great way) and then poof again....be gone.   See em while you can.

Does anything get younger?

8 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

"I can't think of a frontman as good as Axl."

"I think Axl is a better frontman than anyone."

These statements are an expression of the exact same opinion, they are just worded differently. His entire post is an opinion for that matter.

'It's downright silly for anyone to be compared to him in any conversation now'

That just doesn't sound like an opinion to me, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Just now, Philipm787 said:

That is his opinion. No different than you calling his opinion "bullshit."

5 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Okay I'm fucked up of this conversation now. Good day sir, we can not know what it was until he states it. 

We know it was an opinion because all art is subjective and he was making a comment on the quality of an artist's performance/career. The guy said "I think" or a variation on it repeatedly through the post. I don't think we should be required to put "in my opinion" on every single opinion sentence around here. If we had to do that, you might as well shut down the forum. 90% of the stuff posted here is an opinion without the person actually calling it an opinion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

When people insult others who disagree with them they they aren't really just sharing their opinion. So you are 100% correct.

• Like 1

Just now, Apollo said:

When people insult others who disagree with them they they aren't really just sharing their opinion. So you are 100% correct.

It was an abrasive opinion, but so was Philip calling the post "bullshit." Opinions are like assholes. Every person on the planet has one. I disagree with the guy's opinion that it's silly to compare other frontmen with Axl, but I'm not offended by it and I don't take it as a personal insult. Axl was a great frontman in my opinion and there are other great ones too. 

If you consider how many artists had a huge creative output in a pretty short time axls legacy is pretty much down the shitter by now. Hell never be up there with the greats like jagger/tyler/lennon etc. If he wants to gain more reputation he needs content. The question is if axl still has something to say (except for bathing in self pity like CD) or if stardom and money tamed him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

If you consider how many artists had a huge creative output in a pretty short time axls legacy is pretty much down the shitter by now. Hell never be up there with the greats like jagger/tyler/lennon etc. If he wants to gain more reputation he needs content. The question is if axl still has something to say (except for bathing in self pity like CD) or if stardom and money tamed him.

I don't feel Tyler should be in the same sentence as those others you mention. Tyler took a giant shit on his own legacy with all the pop material he and his bandmates decided to do later in their career. Axl sitting on his ass in the late 90's was better than Tyler selling out with Don't Wanna Miss a Thing. American Idol was cringeworthy as well. 

Having said that, Axl's legacy would have been better off if he just stayed in his mansion from 1995 to now. Would have avoided all the embarrassing stuff that started in the early 2000's. His legacy is complicated even going back to the early 90's due to the late starts, riots, tantrums, etc. But the embarrassing stuff in the last 15 years is a lot worse. 

Edited by GNRfan2008

16 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

It was an abrasive opinion, but so was Philip calling the post "bullshit." Opinions are like assholes. Every person on the planet has one. I disagree with the guy's opinion that it's silly to compare other frontmen with Axl, but I'm not offended by it and I don't take it as a personal insult. Axl was a great frontman in my opinion and there are other great ones too. 

Well that's good to hear. Nobody should be offended or personally insulted by what a complete stranger says about Axl. Or a band. If they do get mad then they need to turn off the computer, go outside and interact with people in real life. 

But there is a huge difference  between:

"in my opinion" or "for me" tied to "Axl is the best frontman of all time."

and

"Axl is the best front man of all time and anybody who disagrees doesn't have a brain (or some other insult)."

One is somebody sharing an opinion. The other is somebody trying to make a statement of fact. 

People don't have to say "in my opinion" after every sentence they post. But insults are just fake strength attempts by weak people. They aren't trying to engage with people (which is what keeps forums alive) but instead are just baiting or t-rolling other posters. Which, IMO, is bad for the overall health of a forum and runs off posters who just want to come and chat about their favorite band. 

• Like 1