Axl Rose's Legacy

Apologies if this has been mentioned in other threads. I frequent the board, but I can't keep up on everything. Anyway, I feel compelled to say that 2016 is the year of redemption in terms of the legacy of Axl Rose. The widespread perception of Axl from the general public seemed to be that he was that he was a reclusive, temperamental whack job who showed up late for every show. The reunion with Slash and Duff helped get the ball rolling, but it's not like anyone in GNR opened up about their reasons for reuniting or anything else. The initial round of shows were mostly well received, though there were the attack media types who picked them apart for everything from two missing original band members to Axl being seated, etc.

The perception of Axl really seems to be changing even more thanks to his involvement with AC/DC. There are certainly fans and probably some media types who are hung up on Brian Johnson being out of the band. I get it. I just enjoy it for what it is. However, the reviews of his early performances seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Plus, Axl has spoken publicly about the shows and comes off very relaxed, respectful, and down to earth in the media appearances. He's absolutely killing it onstage with them. I had high hopes for the Bon Scott material, but I had no idea he would be so good on the Johnson material too. 

The point is that it seems like the tide has finally turned. People aren't talking about the eccentricities, they are talking about the reunion and the performances with AC/DC. He's winning over a lot of skeptics and is rewriting his own legacy in the process. Of course, he's a meltdown away from undoing a lot of the good he has done thus far, but it's been very cool to see so many positive things from him this year and the reminder to the world of his amazing talents. I hope the positive momentum continues to build and maybe, just maybe, results in new GNR material. Either way, good for him. I'm thrilled at the possibility that my favorite frontman/vocalist has a chance to be remembered for his talent above all else. 

• Like 4

Axl's legacy is complicated - there is good and bad in there and over time he's brought a lot of joy to people as well as upset a lot of people. He finally seems to be in a position where he's taking control of things and doing positive things to redeem his legacy and shape it going forward. As fans, we live in exciting times.

Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever rehab his image to the casuals who know him as the temperamental diva who broke up the biggest band of all time and spent 15 years making a shitty album. I don't necessarily believe that myself, but that seems to be the popular opinion of him for those who know him but haven't followed him since GNR broke up.

I think what he needs to do is put a new album out and go on tour with GNR the way he's on tour with AC/DC. Happy, smiling, on time, talking to the media, respectful. Anyone who knows  him says he's actually a really nice person, he just needs to let people see more of that and less flipping out on stage.

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 3

It seems Axl is gonna go out like he came in.   He/Guns came outta nowhere....blew up huge and then poof.   Now all of a sudden he/they are the biggest thing going.   And (it's sad but he's 54 and not getting younger) I have a feeling they are gonna blow up again (in a great way) and then poof again....be gone.   See em while you can.

Axl Rose was the best from 87-90.  91-93 was a mixed bag of awesome and destruction.  1994-2015 he became a joke, which is really sad.  Now, the current chapter, titled  "Redemption" will greatly improve his legacy so long as things go well......and so far they are!

Keep this year's tour going strong with no blow ups or missed shows. 

Release an album just in time for the summer GnR tour  

Just in time for Christmas release a live DVD for acdc and for the first couple GnR shows. 

Axl Rose autobiography.

Best year of Axl Rose's career. 

Axl is still a douchebag to the general public, who are not really ACDC and GNR fans. Trust me, I've had a tonne of people say it to me. If he puts himself into the mainstream media in a good light, between the 'DC, Guns shows and change in behaviour, he will have redeemed his persona and his legacy. It's a great time to be a GNR fan.

On 5/13/2016 at 8:57 PM, Modano09 said:

Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever rehab his image to the casuals who know him as the temperamental diva who broke up the biggest band of all time and spent 15 years making a shitty album. I don't necessarily believe that myself, but that seems to be the popular opinion of him for those who know him but haven't followed him since GNR broke up.

I think what he needs to do is put a new album out and go on tour with GNR the way he's on tour with AC/DC. Happy, smiling, on time, talking to the media, respectful. Anyone who knows  him says he's actually a really nice person, he just needs to let people see more of that and less flipping out on stage.

Judging by the number of delusional, overly negative comments about his vocals I've seen in recent days on YouTube videos, I think you are right. He made his bed and now he gets to lay in it. Some of these people are completely unhinged though. One of them threatened to shoot him with a shotgun. And Axl is the crazy person? 

Love him or hate him hes making his mark on the world of rock. I'm loving seeing positive press about him and think for better or worse both intentionally and unintentionally hes made sure hes one of the rock legends that will be spoken and written about when he's long gone.  When its all over and done with i'd love to see him bow out on a high and i think the possibility of that happening has increased more than i ever thought it could.

Guns N' Roses music does not lend itself to a love affair with the general public. After all, the public basically applied the Jaws of Life to SCOM because Jungle and PC were just too sleazy. Nobody talks about the last 3 minutes. Later on, they gave November Rain a pass because Axl Liberace'd the music video, and who doesn't love a good episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. There's not one goddam uplifting song in the entire catalog. So Axl could become famous again, but people are still going to WTF? the music.

Oh, when I told my sister in law that I was in Vegas to see GNR, she asked me if Axl's face moved when he sang. So there's still that whole physical appearance thing that will never go away. Jussayin'''

15 hours ago, axlvai said:

Fuck the people. Who cares what people thinks about Axl. 

I love his music, his talented voice and live performance around all this years. Thats important. Fuck the people!

Some call it 'blinded by love'

Why is it even important if some casuals hate him? He obviously has millions of fans, is held in the highest regard by critics as one of the greatest vocalists of all time, is partly responsible for one of the most successful albums ever recorded, is currently fronting two of the biggest bands on the planet, he's reconciled with Slash and, oh yeah, he's rich as fuck!

No matter how many people stubbornly hate him, he'll go down in history as one of the greatest of all time. All this resurgence he's having this year is just icing on the cake.

It's similar to how people percieve Floyd Mayweather, everyone hates him but his accomplishments have already solidified his legacy. It doesnt matter if more than 50% of comments on Facebook are negative, the fact that people hate him is relevant because he's seen and talked about enough to be hated.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexC said:

I thought he had already solidified his legacy, but he's cemented it in stone now. These Axl/DC gigs have been phenomenal so far- really this chapter is the stuff of legend. His whole career has been really. I really think he has all the credentials to be considered the greatest frontman of all time-artistic and commercial success, stage presence, creative vision, peer respect, intense hatred from the haters, the voice, the writing- he's just the whole package really. I can't think of another frontman who's even in his league and it would just be downright silly for anyone to even be mentioned in the same conversation as him at this point with the possible exception of Jagger. Personally I don't think Mick's in Axl's league as a singer, frontman, or lyricist, but I try to be objective about these things. I think its fair to say that Axl Rose is the most rock star rock star of all time.

Edited by Mr. Dude
For Accuracy
  • Like 1