About Melissa Reese...

I want to point out firstly that this is not an anti-Melissa thread - I'm all for her inclusion!

But I'm curious as to her actual role, as a synth / keyboardist. Because as far as I can work out there are only a few songs on the setlist that require a synth / keyboardist.

So what does she do during the other songs?

As far as I can see, the only songs requiring synth keyboard would be:

from AFD:

Nightrain - Train horn sound effect intro

Paradise City - strings intro

from UYI 1: 

November Rain - string parts etc

Coma - heartbeat sound effect on intro

from Chi Dem:

On the songs they play.

So that leaves a whole lot of songs with no role for a synth player. What does she do?

Have I missed any songs with synth parts?

Also, can someone post a good example of a Pitman "towel solo" please?

I don't think I've seen one properly, they sound awesome lol

Adds useless notes to the all the perfect rock songs we've known from years.

I've never seen her leaving the stage so she must be also part of the stage design/decoration, like a thing that moves in the background. It's a visual effect mostly, makes sense for a show. I don't know.

• Like 2

She goes for backing vocals, dancing (? !) and improvisation. Mainly the last one. She puts keyboards and synths in songs there are none, even if they are in low volume. I think it gives a nice touch.

Well im every shot ive seen her in, shes on her keyboard for everysong. Its likely shes doing something, but the sound guy is lowering her in the mix drastically. The only time ive heard something that she added was in better. In the new intro, after the big crescendo to slashs new two note riff thing before the original riff starts, she does a bass slide (low note to lower note)

Edited by Mendez

Some songs have synth work. But she does have some stellar background vocals on KOHD, LALD, and November Rain. I don't know what she's doing when she's inaudibly playing keys on some songs, but my hope would be that they're retaining her for production/mixing and or additional instruments on a new album, since that seems to be her speciality. 

5 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I want to point out firstly that this is not an anti-Melissa thread - I'm all for her inclusion!

But I'm curious as to her actual role, as a synth / keyboardist. Because as far as I can work out there are only a few songs on the setlist that require a synth / keyboardist.

from AFD:

from UYI 1: 

from Chi Dem:

On the songs they play.

So that leaves a whole lot of songs with no role for a synth player. What does she do?

the question is

WHO IS THE GENIUS THAT DECIDED THAT GNR NEEDED A SECOND KEYBOARD PLAYER?

actually the question is

WHO IS THE GENIUS THAT DECIDED GNR NEEDED ANY KEYBOARD PLAYER IN THE FIRST PLACE?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_oWThGdhgIrK7s1TdZ47

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

from AFD:

from UYI 1: 

from Chi Dem:

On the songs they play.

What is Dizzy doing during all of this?

Edited by DieselDaisy

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What is Dizzy doing during all of this?

Bongos!

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

the question is

WHO IS THE GENIUS THAT DECIDED THAT GNR NEEDED A SECOND KEYBOARD PLAYER?

actually the question is

WHO IS THE GENIUS THAT DECIDED GNR NEEDED ANY KEYBOARD PLAYER IN THE FIRST PLACE?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_oWThGdhgIrK7s1TdZ47

Many of the UYI songs have keyboard parts, so having a keyboard player made sense when Dizzy joined the band.

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. I do not understand why Dizzy doesn't do all the keyboard/synth stuff

Might have been a good question for Axl when he came an answered questions, but people were more interested in asking him about Disney movies and dumb shit.

10 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

Another thread on melissa reese????????

Really come on mods we already had 6 pages discussion about how worthless is Melissa in GNR we don't need it again.

Dont be ignorants. Melissa is a wonderfull adition for gnr.  She does a lot in most songs ( waaayyy better than pitman).  And her backing vocals are tastefull, nice, powerfull.

She is pitman, teddy, and tracy all in one .

Wich reminds me...

I dont remember nobody complaining about teddy andreadis back in the 90's, ( they had dizzy and teddy, so, two guys for keyboards, efects, etc.)   . Also i dont remember nobody bitching about tracy and roberta.

So..  Why all the blah blah blah about miss reese??..  ( what a deluxe musician for the job)

Ohh .. I get it.. In gnr fans world, people have to complain about something diferent every day. Just because

i'll see u standing there...

7 minutes ago, SEPTEM said:

I dont remember nobody complaining about teddy andreadis back in the 90's, ( they had dizzy and teddy, so, two guys for keyboards, efects, etc.)   . Also i dont remember nobody bitching about tracy and roberta.

Then you have a selective memory or you just weren't paying attention. Zig Zag and the backup singers were widely derided. Just about everybody I knew thought they were ridiculous.

Edited by bigpoop