Gilby Clarke On Guns N' Roses Reunion: 'I'm Happy That The Guys Are Back Together' 

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Because of that performance? Then you don't have much knowledge of Guns N' Roses history and the hundreds of great shows that he added to. It was Axl who once said "Fuck Izzy Stradlin, we have Gilby Clarke". I don't agree with that but Gilby was pretty much flawless when he was in the band and you never heard anyone have a negative thing to say about his playing.

Because you could barely hear his playing a good 90% of the time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm not really sure! I've been trying to work that one out myself. Stradlin does not have his dreadlocks so it wasn't when he returned to the band for those few shows in 1993 when Clarke had a motorcycle accident. This was taken then incidentally,

images_zpsxb0u1y1u.jpg

Three rhythm guitarists.

ooh i think that was Milton Keynes 93, I was there! yay me!

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Because of that performance? Then you don't have much knowledge of Guns N' Roses history and the hundreds of great shows that he added to. It was Axl who once said "Fuck Izzy Stradlin, we have Gilby Clarke". I don't agree with that but Gilby was pretty much flawless when he was in the band and you never heard anyone have a negative thing to say about his playing.

Man, I was there to witness the insanity of replacing Izzy. Back then, I was still a teenager, so I didn't realize how much that was WRONG. I was like: meh, I love GNR, no matter what.

I can only laugh at your comment, quoting Axl at the top of his megalomaniac bullshit. 

You know what, whatever. 

• Like 1

Hey sorum did u read that??? Now , thats the right way of say some things during an "gnr reunion" interview.

Well done Mr clark.  Way to go

Gilby was honest, with common sense, open, and he did that without kissing any ass or whatever.   

Pd:  he obvius cant say that he watch gnr reunion videos on youtube.   

1 hour ago, SEPTEM said:

Hey sorum did u read that??? Now , thats the right way of say some things during an "gnr reunion" interview.

Well done Mr clark.  Way to go

Gilby was honest, with common sense, open, and he did that without kissing any ass or whatever.   

Pd:  he obvius cant say that he watch gnr reunion videos on youtube.   

What is it sorum is supposed to have said wrong?

Edited by Philipm787
Spelling error

1 hour ago, Philipm787 said:

What is it sorum is supposed to have said wrong?

This, maybe?
 "Paul [Tobias] walked into the studio and made a bad comment about Slash. I said, 'You don't say that when I'm in the room.' Then Axl laid in, I argued with him and it was over. Huge followed me out into the parking lot and said, 'Come back.' I said, 'I can't come back, he fired me. Do you feel good about breaking up one of the greatest bands that ever lived?'"

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

This, maybe?
 "Paul [Tobias] walked into the studio and made a bad comment about Slash. I said, 'You don't say that when I'm in the room.' Then Axl laid in, I argued with him and it was over. Huge followed me out into the parking lot and said, 'Come back.' I said, 'I can't come back, he fired me. Do you feel good about breaking up one of the greatest bands that ever lived?'"

Was that ironic? Because I see that as totally sensible behaviour! One person there to speak up; Mr. Duff the Spineless wouldn't dare do that! :lol:

Im refering to recent interviews, where matt says hes in the band he wants to be right nos, and blabla m..

U guys still with those gnr 94-96 break up?  Seems like some of u kinda wishes gnr split again or something?  Thats just really old, knok it off.  We're 20 years later now, gnr is touring again, slash axl and duff are friends again, axl is the undisputable number 1. Once again, guns is doing sold out after sold out, and axl is the lead singer with two of the greatest bands of all time ,  slash is extra happy, duff too, theyre ( y es, they are)  recording some new gnr stuff.   So come on,   MOVE ON PEOPLE, IS ABOUT TIME

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

This, maybe?

No, I think that other poster was speaking of something sorum is supposed to have said in an interview this year.

13 minutes ago, SEPTEM said:

Im refering to recent interviews, where matt says hes in the band he wants to be right nos, and blabla m..

U guys still with those gnr 94-96 break up?  Seems like some of u kinda wishes gnr split again or something?  Thats just really old, knok it off.  We're 20 years later now, gnr is touring again, slash axl and duff are friends again, axl is the undisputable number 1. Once again, guns is doing sold out after sold out, and axl is the lead singer with two of the greatest bands of all time ,  slash is extra happy, duff too, theyre ( y es, they are)  recording some new gnr stuff.   So come on,   MOVE ON PEOPLE, IS ABOUT TIME

1. Axl being 'number one' is your opinion.

2. The majority of stadium shows have yet to sell out.

3. Axl being the singer of the 'two greatest bands ever' is yet again, your own opinion.

4. No proof of Slash or Duff recording anything new with Guns as of now.

5. We speak of Matt and Gilby, and some of us on here wanting them to return, as they played the songs properly, something Fortus and especially Frank are yet to do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kenan said:

I think Fortus is a first rhytm guitar player for GNR one could actually hear on those live gigs. Not to mention he can do lead stuff without much effort.

Again, just not true.. You could always hear the rhythm guitars in GnR some times more prevalent than other but this seems to be another greatly exaggerated myth/fact around here. GnR were a two guitar band and you can hear them both. The Rhythm guitars are generally a bit quieter anyway at times. Something Fortus just doesn't understand.. And who cares about his lead stuff.. GnR has it's lead guitarist back.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Again, just not true.. You could always hear the rhythm guitars in GnR some times more prevalent than other but this seems to be another greatly exaggerated myth/fact around here. GnR were a two guitar band and you can hear them both. The Rhythm guitars are generally a bit quieter anyway at times. Something Fortus just doesn't understand.. And who cares about his lead stuff.. GnR has it's lead guitarist back.  

I think the fact that Gilby accidentally learned some of Slash's rhythm parts (I think it was a Guitar World interview where he said him and Slash had to quickly tweak what he was playing before the tour started) creates the illusion (pun intended) of a much quieter guitar since he's literally doubling Slash. Paradise City is a great example - on the main riff where Axl isn't singing, Gilby plays the low octave doubling Slash instead of those half power chords that Izzy did. The result is a "one guitar sound" like AC/DC due to their tightness. He isn't actually that much quieter because you can hear his octave double under Axl's vocals (the correct Izzy part) just fine.

If he was truly as non-existent as people say, Don't Cry in particular would sound mighty empty! I know in general most of the bootlegs we have from the Illusions seem to put Izzy/Gilby much quieter, but it seems to vary by show. More recently, Frankie's volume has been fine with SMKC and so has Richard's (too much so in the first couple of shows).

• Like 1

On 14.5.2016 at 10:06 AM, Rovim said:

I'm saying he can fuckin' play and it's just one show. Listen to this solo. It's more recent and his material. Starts at 3:55. Surely you can hear the SCOM performance was just a case of him not being prepared. He's a good lead and rhythm player. (no pinky usage in the solo though :max:)

it would have been a great gnr song...+ gilbys playing fits so much better to slash's. imo you can clearly hear that slither is also from that era. it was OldGnRs attemp to create a darker/heavier sound as axl wished. slither and cure me or kill me were two results.

and...gilby plays KOHD how it should be...so much better than the post 1993 KOHDs of Axl...i love the pre 1993 vibe of the song.

Edited by maxpax
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

"Some times more prevalent than other"? "Generally a bit quiter anyway at times"?

Call me simple, but I am not interested in 'nuances". I wanna hear the damn thing as it should be heard. Not, hear it sometimes because it might get louder sometimes or the guy is not playing the same riff or whatever. With Fortus, we finally have a rhytm guitar you can actually hear clearly. And not on a good day, but always. As it should be. I hope it stays that way. If you were happy with Izzy/Gilby's volumes, great. I never was. They looked like they were on playback or something. At least 'sometimes'.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

I think the fact that Gilby accidentally learned some of Slash's rhythm parts (I think it was a Guitar World interview where he said him and Slash had to quickly tweak what he was playing before the tour started) creates the illusion (pun intended) of a much quieter guitar since he's literally doubling Slash. Paradise City is a great example - on the main riff where Axl isn't singing, Gilby plays the low octave doubling Slash instead of those half power chords that Izzy did. The result is a "one guitar sound" like AC/DC due to their tightness. He isn't actually that much quieter because you can hear his octave double under Axl's vocals (the correct Izzy part) just fine.

If he was truly as non-existent as people say, Don't Cry in particular would sound mighty empty! I know in general most of the bootlegs we have from the Illusions seem to put Izzy/Gilby much quieter, but it seems to vary by show. More recently, Frankie's volume has been fine with SMKC and so has Richard's (too much so in the first couple of shows).

Another good example is DTJ, especially the opening where he sits under Slash's part. It just gives that song so much crunch. Nightrain as well. He doubles Slash more or less, steps out for the Izzy solo, and the sits back with Duff and Matt to create a rhythm for Slash to run wild over

Wow. What a surly bunch of people you are. 

One comment - after a very honest and respectful interview - and you guys are basing Gilby. 

Lots of of posters on here complain about negativity in posters and comments. Lots of people on here destroy anybody that dares say something negative about Axl and any of his performances. Lots of "f*ck the haters" type reactions.

But some of you are sure quick to go into instant full blown insult mode if you disagree with or don't like a musician. How are you people any different than those you complain about?

Nothing Gilby said deserves this much negativity. 

• Like 1