Gilby Clarke On Guns N' Roses Reunion: 'I'm Happy That The Guys Are Back Together' 

Gilby Clarke On Guns N' Roses Reunion: 'I'm Happy That The Guys Are Back Together' 

May 13, 2016

During a brand new interview with Argentinean rock journalist Lucas H. Gordon, former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke was once again asked for his thoughts on the reunion of long-estranged GN'R singer Axl Rose and guitarist Slash for a handful of comeback shows in April and a full U.S. tour during the summer. Clarke, who was not an original member of the group, said: "In all honesty, I haven't seen [any of the recent GN'R shows], so I don't have an opinion yet." 

He continued: "First of all, I'm happy that the guys are back together. I think it's really important to music, especially rock and roll music, that GUNS N' ROSES is a viable band that's out performing right now. I know Axl has been out there with his band playing, but it doesn't get any better than having Slash back in the band. So with Slash and Axl back together, I really think they can have some great shows and hopefully write some good music together and keep the band name and legacy alive." 

Regarding whether he thinks the GN'R reunion will last, Gilby said: "I was a part of the band twenty years ago, and a lot has happened in that amount of time. I don't know… I honestly don't know. People were asking me questions last year: 'Do you think GUNS N' ROSES are gonna get back together?' And I kept saying, 'No.' I didn't. I honestly didn't. So I'm surprised, just like a lot of people are, that the band's back together. But I think it's a great thing for music." 

Asked if he would rejoin GUNS N' ROSES if he was asked to take part in the band's reunion tour, Gilby said: "You know, I don't really wanna answer that, because I don't know. I honestly don't know. It's a hypothetical question, it's a hypothetical situation. So I really don't know. I mean, before all this happened, people [would] say, 'Would you be a part of the reunion?' And I always said, 'Absolutely!' Look, I love the music of the band, I love the band and the performance, but this GUNS N' ROSES isn't the GUNS N' ROSES that I was a part of, so it's a hard question to ask right now." 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gilby-clarke-on-guns-n-roses-reunion-im-happy-that-the-guys-are-back-together/

Edited by Funky.Monkey

16 minutes ago, Funky.Monkey said:

Asked if he would rejoin GUNS N' ROSES if he was asked to take part in the band's reunion tour, Gilby said: "You know, I don't really wanna answer that, because I don't know. I honestly don't know. It's a hypothetical question, it's a hypothetical situation. So I really don't know. I mean, before all this happened, people [would] say, 'Would you be a part of the reunion?' And I always said, 'Absolutely!' Look, I love the music of the band, I love the band and the performance, but this GUNS N' ROSES isn't the GUNS N' ROSES that I was a part of, so it's a hard question to ask right now." 

To sum up, they didnt call him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrayWyatt said:

would prefer gilby rather than fortus

Really id have a 10 year old kid.  I could play this better when I was at school

Edited by Gibbo 27
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gibbo 27 said:

Really id have a 10 year old kid.  I could play this better when I was at school

Not fair to Gilbert really. Wasn't his job to play Slash's parts. With a bit of practice he can do a decent job but he has his own style on the instrument and as far as chops go I'd say he's better than Izzy and has a good tone. I just don't like his solo material but his playing is old school and pretty cool. This clip sounds terrible, but it doesn't reflect what Clerk can do when he knows the material. Liked his Nightrain solo and he is a good rhythm player imo. I prefer Fortus though.

Edited by Rovim

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Not fair to Gilbert really. Wasn't his job to play Slash's parts. With a bit of practice he can do a decent job but he has his own style on the instrument and as far as chops go I'd say he's better than Izzy and has a good tone. I just don't like his solo material but his playing is old school and pretty cool. This clip sounds terrible, but it doesn't reflect what Clerk can do when he knows the material. Liked his Nightrain solo and he is a good rhythm player imo. I prefer Fortus though.

What do you mean it's not his job?  It is if he's going to play it on stage. This was his gig not some jam where someone sprung the song on him. If you don't know the song, don't  put it in the set.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

What do you mean it's not his job?  It is if he's going to play it on stage. This was his gig not some jam where someone sprung the song on him. If you don't know the song, don't  put it in the set.

I'm saying he can fuckin' play and it's just one show. Listen to this solo. It's more recent and his material. Starts at 3:55. Surely you can hear the SCOM performance was just a case of him not being prepared. He's a good lead and rhythm player. (no pinky usage in the solo though :max:)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Gibbo 27 said:

Everyone has a bad performance.. Should we pull up the 500 embarrassing ones from Axl the last 15 years? Or the hundreds of amazing shows Gilby played with Guns N' Roses. He still fit right in when he jammed with Slash's band and at the R&RHOF.

29 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Everyone has a bad performance.. Should we pull up the 500 embarrassing ones from Axl the last 15 years? Or the hundreds of amazing shows Gilby played with Guns N' Roses. He still fit right in when he jammed with Slash's band and at the R&RHOF.

Why must everything get turned into an "vs Axl" thread?

17 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Fuck respect. What a useless musician, really. 

Because of that performance? Then you don't have much knowledge of Guns N' Roses history and the hundreds of great shows that he added to. It was Axl who once said "Fuck Izzy Stradlin, we have Gilby Clarke". I don't agree with that but Gilby was pretty much flawless when he was in the band and you never heard anyone have a negative thing to say about his playing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gibbo 27 said:

He's in Bradford. He is probably suffering from Delhi Belly and it's distracting him.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

When was the second picture taken?

I'm not really sure! I've been trying to work that one out myself. Stradlin does not have his dreadlocks so it wasn't when he returned to the band for those few shows in 1993 when Clarke had a motorcycle accident. This was taken then incidentally,

images_zpsxb0u1y1u.jpg

Three rhythm guitarists.

• Like 1