Petition? Ain't it Fun part of the set!

It'd be fine with me. I love that song. Any rarely played song would be cool in my book. Especially if it replaced LALD (never happen- I know)...

Yeah yeah- it's a cover. Let's be honest- who the fuck ever heard it, or even of it, before TSI was released? It's a GnR song to me...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

It'd be fine with me. I love that song. Any rarely played song would be cool in my book. Especially if it replaced LALD (never happen- I know)...

Yeah yeah- it's a cover. Let's be honest- who the fuck ever heard it, or even of it, before TSI was released? It's a GnR song to me...

Really?

Serious question - not being sarcastic - how far back does your music library go and do you listen to anything that isn't top 40?

Ive got a 22-year old and when him and his friends were teens I had to give them a music history lesson over a couple year period. Each month I would give them 4-5 albums to listen and the names of a couple bands to research. To appreciate a band, it helps to trek backwards and see what influenced them and where they came from. For example - Appetite is awesome, obviously. But it becomes even more iconic when you look at the era it was released. Like some of the old Stones songs released in the Vietnam era. It's one thing to hear a song and think it sounds cool. But it goes to an entire different level when you think "these songs were the soundtrack to life for kids who were going to or fighting in a war that America wasn't really winning."

I've always thought GnR was basically AC/DC having a baby with Areosmith, who raised the kid for a couple of years before divorcing. Queen moved in as the stepfather and ended up raising GnR until adulthood. 

I'm not trying to downgrade you or be a smart ass. It's always interesting to see how much further somebody's musical boat is past GnR.  

57 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Really?

Serious question - not being sarcastic - how far back does your music library go and do you listen to anything that isn't top 40?

Ive got a 22-year old and when him and his friends were teens I had to give them a music history lesson over a couple year period. Each month I would give them 4-5 albums to listen and the names of a couple bands to research. To appreciate a band, it helps to trek backwards and see what influenced them and where they came from. For example - Appetite is awesome, obviously. But it becomes even more iconic when you look at the era it was released. Like some of the old Stones songs released in the Vietnam era. It's one thing to hear a song and think it sounds cool. But it goes to an entire different level when you think "these songs were the soundtrack to life for kids who were going to or fighting in a war that America wasn't really winning."

I've always thought GnR was basically AC/DC having a baby with Areosmith, who raised the kid for a couple of years before divorcing. Queen moved in as the stepfather and ended up raising GnR until adulthood. 

I'm not trying to downgrade you or be a smart ass. It's always interesting to see how much further somebody's musical boat is past GnR.  

I never heard of the Dead Boys or heard Ain't it Fun before TSI...

Apparently you have. Congrats!

I'd like to hear them play some deep cuts.

Oh fuckin woe is me- someone fuckin else wrote it, but only 10,000 people walking the earth ever  heard it before TSI. No, I don't have a Dead Boys patch on my hypothetical denim vest... I have plenty of "non mainstream" musical interests.

Dead Boys isn't one... They may be the best band ever assembled. But I'm pretty sure I'll prefer the GnR version of Ain't it Fun...

9 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I never heard of the Dead Boys or heard Ain't it Fun before TSI...

Apparently you have. Congrats!

I'd like to hear them play some deep cuts.

Oh fuckin woe is me- someone fuckin else wrote it, but only 10,000 people walking the earth ever  heard it before TSI. No, I don't have a Dead Boys patch on my hypothetical denim vest... I have plenty of "non mainstream" musical interests.

Dead Boys isn't one... They may be the best band ever assembled. But I'm pretty sure I'll prefer the GnR version of Ain't it Fun...

So after loving the cover, mainly just because it was your favorite band playing it.......you haven't even taken five minutes to YouTube the original? 

Who said they were the best band ever assembled? Or that you needed to have a patch of theirs on your pretend jacket? 

It just seems peculiar that you wouldn't even take a couple minutes to listen to the original version seeing as it had such a strong influence on your idol that his band chose to record it. Heck, you might even like the original version better. Hard to make a claim which version you would like better without listening to both. 

Have you every heard of Michael Monroe?

I see your point. I will check out the original soon. I realize that was part of the point of the whole album.

My point is, people cry "no covers"... But I think the tunes on TSI were all far from mainstream. Unless you have an attachment to one of the originals, like maybe you do here, you identify the song as GnR... Not like LALD, or the Seeker, which are way mainstream...

Anyway, I'd like to hear it live, but it's not something I'm gonna die on a hill for... ✌️

Ps yes I know Michael Monroe & his time w Hanoi Rocks

Edited by Fitha_whiskey
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Apollo said:

So after loving the cover, mainly just because it was your favorite band playing it.......you haven't even taken five minutes to YouTube the original? 

Who said they were the best band ever assembled? Or that you needed to have a patch of theirs on your pretend jacket? 

It just seems peculiar that you wouldn't even take a couple minutes to listen to the original version seeing as it had such a strong influence on your idol that his band chose to record it. Heck, you might even like the original version better. Hard to make a claim which version you would like better without listening to both. 

Have you every heard of Michael Monroe?

Thats what I loved about Spaghetti. GN'R and that record introduced me to great bands like The Damned, UK Subs, Misfits & Dead Boys. Attitude kicks ass and is probably one of the weaker Msfits songs! Thanks to GN'R I'm a much more rounded rock fan. From the Stones, Zeppelin, Pistols, to Motley Crue, Megadeth, Soundgarden & of course Faith No More!!

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1