Does Axl care more about ACDC than he does GNR?

Axl is singing with one his favourite bands of all time and doing so without the hassle of dealing with business side of things so he's enjoying the moment and for the next month AC/DC is his main priority. Axl and Angus simply HAD to do interviews and invite the media to try and convince everyone that this was going to work and for fans to stop returning their tickets and for people to try and see Axl in a different way. 

With GNR just having Slash and Duff being there is already at least doubling crowds than nu guns days so doesn't need much interviews etc. Axl will always put GNR first it's his band and with Slash and Duff there it's clear he's excited about the band again. As for the voice I reckon it's just to do with the way AC/DC songs need to be sung. I'm hoping Axl has learned some lessons on this and will start rehearsing more and be motivated to get new material out. 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

Its certainly unusual that Slash was playing far better guitar and looking really happy on stage with SMKC and now Axl looks far happier in ACDC than he does for Guns.  

I've given up on trying to understand why things are the way they are in Guns.  
No rehearsals before tours, No interviews, no tweets from Axl, no new music, not confirming the line up.  

I think we all thought Slash and Duff coming back would change things.  I assumed they'd handle all the media that Axl doesn't love to do.  As it currently looks, they seem like a band with little chemistry that are not on the same page but have made certain compromises in order to make a high paying tour happen.  

Don't get me wrong, the shows were really good in a way.  It was great to see them together again.  But i just wanted this whole thing to be a bit better if that makes sense.  

Last point, people saying that Axl is maybe sick of singing the same songs... well Guns have plenty of songs that were hardly ever played live.  There is plenty of material there if they want to change it up.  

• Like 1

I think at this point it's a little unfair to judge this new GNR lineup as not having chemistry.  I think we need to wait for Axl to be out of the chair and fully mobile.  The video clips from the Troubador clearly show an energized GNR band when Axl was able to move around.

As far AC/DC...I truly can't understand people not understanding this.  Axl is playing with childhood heros...playing great songs he loves...he's like a kid in a candy store, enjoying these gigs.  It is what it is.  I imagine if the Rolling Stones needed Axl to fill in for Mick Jagger, you'd see the same passion (I know the Stones would never go the AC/DC route, it's just an example).

As for Axl being bored with GNR songs, that's a bunch of BS.  Axl is going to sing the songs HE wants to sing.  GNR have tons of songs they could spice up Axl's interest (if that was the case).  Anything Goes, Don't Damn Me, Back Off Bitch, The Garden, Pretty Tied Up...etc...etc...etc

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I don't necessarily think he cares about it more, but I do think he's enjoying it more at the moment. I mean, he doesn't have to worry about any of the business bullshit, he just shows up and sings the damn songs and that's it. He's still very much in charge of GN'R, so that's probably a lot more taxing on him. Not to mention that he's fronting a band he's always idolized, it's easy to see why he's excited about it.

Good point

Well, i'm more excited about AXL/DC than in GNR or AC/DC in the past few years so it's a win-win for the fans

I don't think that he could throw out the GNR name after all the shit went down and this recent semi reunion

At the end of the day: GNR is his life since 1985

If he can manage to fill in for more AXL/DC shows while he is still fronting GNR, i don't see the problem

The only problematic thing is new music, because he finallly got a legit excuse if he fronts 2 bands:shrugs:

I relate it to going on holiday, you have your life (GNR) and it's not bad, but then you go to some exotic beach resort for 3 weeks and fuck Thai hookers (AC/DC) and think this is awesome, this could be my life 24/7. But it would just become routine and full of the same drudergy as playing the GNR hits one more time while 3 people on the internet start petitions for Don't Damn Me to be a staple and complain about lack of rasp and everything you say gets quoted and comes back to haunt you. But you a fuck a hooker she never bothers you again. 

But politically, Axl is smart. Let's say Slash wants to go back to solo, what's stopping Axl from drafting Angus in to Guns for a tour. Axl has helped DC out big time here. So Angus might feel like returning the favour. So Slash might think twice. It's just another day for you and me in Paradise City. 

Does he care more? I doubt it. Was he much more aware of how badly he'd be crucified if he failed at the AC/DC gig? Probably.  Does he look at it the way many of us look at everything in life, in that when it comes to your own shit we're often times willing to slack off but when it comes to being held accountable to someone else  we're more likely to step up. For example if I tell myself I'm gonna get up and go work out in the morning and I'm not accountable to anyone but myself there's a much greater chance of me sleeping in than if I had a friend meeting me at the gym. I think that's probably what's going on with Axl right now with the AC/DC gig.

Plus it's a once in a  lifetime opportunity that could possibly lead to more BUT if he fucked it up and the public's reaction to his performances was shit then forget it. He's done. With GnR he's pretty much guaranteed as many false starts as he wants. With AC/DC he didn't even have the luxury of one. 

• Like 2

You can't compare. Now he is playing with a band he's a fan of, he grew up with, playing other people's songs... that's a whole different animal than playing in a band he formed, that has his vision, his creativity, his songs and where he invested a lot more emotions in.

I didn't expect him to sound good before the reunion shows but he impressed me with his voice TBH.

That doesn't change now regardless how he is singing ACDC songs. DC songs and Guns songs are very different to sing so I don't see any problem there.

Before the DC shows most of you were amazed about Axl's vocals for the reunion. Suddenly that changed.

Long live the negativity on this forum.

Cheers! 

• Like 1

This AC/DC thing is what everybody told Axl in the 90's when he wanted to change the musical directiong of GN'R and they didnt want him to do it.

This is Axl's solo project that he should have done a long time ago. Well, it finally happened, and he's enjoying it. It's a break from Guns N' Roses, from the reunion (that I feel for him it is more of a forced thing than something he really wanted) and from the whole burden than GN'R is.

I don't see it as a negative thing, necessarily. Agree with everyone who said that this will only motivate Axl for his own band, hopefully to finally release new music or to give up for good and start his own solo career. I feel this is a breaking point for Axl, in which we will see a change, either for GN'R or himself.

All I personally want and expect from Axl is new material, new songs, I want to listen to new art from him. I really don't care at this point with which band he gets there: Guns N' Roses, AC/DC or his own band. Just do it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wasted said:

I relate it to going on holiday, you have your life (GNR) and it's not bad, but then you go to some exotic beach resort for 3 weeks and fuck Thai hookers (AC/DC) and think this is awesome, this could be my life 24/7. 

No. it's like going on a holiday with the successful, classy and beautiful young actress you had the hots for when you were a teenager and always wished you could bang and would marry if you were a few years older.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

Isn't it also possible he felt cornered by the enormity of the GNR reunion and wanted to hedge his bets elsewhere?

If the reunion fell apart, Duff and Slash could easily find something else to do. Axl...not so much. He had no leverage up until the AC/DC gig. Now he can say to Slash and Duff "well if you're not going to do things my way, I'll go play with AC/DC for the rest of my life and you'll never make big money again".

It's smart on his part.

You have a situation where he's only had one albums worth of new material in two decades. Where for years nugnr fans would accept any old rubbish from him, so he didn't even have to try. Where he's been surrounded by uninspiring dross musicians and where public opinion of him has been mostly negative. Towards the end of his nugnr project, he had clearly checked out, despite some fans insisting everything was great. 

So the ac/dc gig is probably a massive exciting change for him. 

• Like 1

I reckon he's loving it with AC/DC just simply because it's just turn up and sing and enjoy it. Like actually enjoy himself without all the bullshit that goes with GNR. As much as he loves it, being in GNR must be a major pain in his ass over the years (lots of his own doing I know) so it must be nice to not have to worry about the business side of things too much and do what he originally wanted to do.... sing in a rock n' roll band. 

Axl cares about guns without a doubt, remember there is obligations and also I am sure Axl is getting a decent paycheck from Angus. 

Come on people we have a shit load of excellence and fun to look forward to this summer. 

I'm not a huge acdc fan so it's kinda fun watching this sideshow and I am happy for acdc and Axl. 

The tour is spaced out and this works great for summer tour 

9 hours ago, The Archer said:

No. it's like going on a holiday with the successful, classy and beautiful young actress you had the hots for when you were a teenager and always wished you could bang and would marry if you were a few years older.

Each to their own.

I know it's hard to imagine but AC/DC older than Axl. 

So you think Axl is leaving GNR for the younger hotter model of ACDC? 

I could see it happening but Guns are lining up a Euro Tour. South America is no brainer. 

But if Slash goes solo maybe Angus will fill in. 

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

Each to their own.

I know it's hard to imagine but AC/DC older than Axl. 

So you think Axl is leaving GNR for the younger hotter model of ACDC? 

I could see it happening but Guns are lining up a Euro Tour. South America is no brainer. 

But if Slash goes solo maybe Angus will fill in. 

No, AC/DC is the older woman in this case - young (but older than him) when he was a kid but now that he's older, and he's caught up to her and is in her league, he still has the hots for this broad.

All analogies aside, I don't think Axl is going to leave GN'R for AC/DC - at the most, he'd try to front both bands. Him even fronting AC/DC permanently is still speculation, though he would be a great choice.

8 minutes ago, The Archer said:

No, AC/DC is the older woman in this case - young (but older than him) when he was a kid but now that he's older, and he's caught up to her and is in her league, he still has the hots for this broad.

All analogies aside, I don't think Axl is going to leave GN'R for AC/DC - at the most, he'd try to front both bands. Him even fronting AC/DC permanently is still speculation, though he would be a great choice.

Guess we'll have to see what happens to us. 

I get it now, like when Axl was a kid looking ACDC dreaming singing in that band. Years later it's possible. 

I think it's mainly just go PR for Axl. Winning over ACDC fans kills the idea that he can't sing and is a slipstream back into the mainstream metal market. It might help businesswise to lay the ground work. It's good for Axl to be seen in a more positive light after so much hate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

Guess we'll have to see what happens to us. 

I get it now, like when Axl was a kid looking ACDC dreaming singing in that band. Years later it's possible. 

I think it's mainly just go PR for Axl. Winning over ACDC fans kills the idea that he can't sing and is a slipstream back into the mainstream metal market. It might help businesswise to lay the ground work. It's good for Axl to be seen in a more positive light after so much hate. 

He said in radio interview he will stay in fucking AC/DC if they want him.