Am I crazy for thinking this might be Axl's greatest post '93 performance?

highvoltage

Don't want to be a bitch about this, but he didn't do the extended FAAAAAAAYERRRRRRRRRR at 3:54 and I still believe in that being achievable, or certainly possible :P.

Apart from that minor thing, that performance made my ear drums bleed. Axl is just murdering it.

28 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Don't want to be a bitch about this, but he didn't do the extended FAAAAAAAYERRRRRRRRRR at 3:54 and I still believe in that being achievable, or certainly possible :P.

Apart from that minor thing, that performance made my ear drums bleed. Axl is just murdering it.

I hear ya! :lol: I want that part too!

I'm just glad that i have tickets to the next show, therefore i can see Axl and AC/DC on top of their game after 2010 (GNR) and 2009(AC/DC):headbang:

• Like 1

You're not crazy, I'm with you really. During Lisbon show his voice was perfect in almost every song, full of rasp and all, but the moment he sang 'For Those About to Rock' I swear I heard a 93' Axl. It was not a rasp from 2006 or 2010, it was 93' rasp. 

Best vocal performance post -93 are from 2006 IMO, especially rock am ring,and Hammerstein.. Technical,powerfull,raspy when needed, not just 'screaming' out the lyrics. But since 2006 this is Axl's year! he´s totally killing it :)

120% rasp don´t fit every song.

Edited by estranged_85

5 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

I hear ya! :lol: I want that part too!

I'm just glad that i have tickets to the next show, therefore i can see Axl and AC/DC on top of their game after 2010 (GNR) and 2009(AC/DC):headbang:

;) While I think that overall, Hells Bells is the best song that Brian Johnson has done, that single moment has got to be his very best.

It's a moment that is just huge for me personally. I love it so much that at one time, I would have have the song on repeat, while doing HIIT (High intensity Interval Training) running. The final extended 'Fire' + 'We Salute you' would be the signal to switch from taking it easy to going flat out and to do so through to the end of the song. Over and over and over. 

PS - please do a review of the show/give us your take on the highlights - it's just great to have forum members do that, but I see it happening less often.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

There have been some really nice flashback moments for Axl during this run, he's hitting notes with vocals from the 90's with an ease of second nature to them. He's not stressing or forcing anything it's just there for him right now. I'd say something about it translating to gnr but this ACDC run has been so great to hear that I'm just going to enjoy it and whatever happens with gnr happens. Awesome job Axl!

No, you're not. I feel like he was winging everything since 93 and got his shit together getting back with slash and got a vocal coach and a trainer. And it's unreal. He sounds like he should now...the greatest rock n roll frontman of all time!

15 hours ago, Karri said:

I'm 99.9% he does not have any new vocal coach or anything.

The only single reason why Axl sounds great now is the fact that with AC/DC he must rehearse with the other guys. With Guns he chooses to be lazy; he doesn't seem to rehearse much, at least never as much as with AC/DC. 

He sounded incredible in the GNR does also though. He sounded reinvigorated.

On 5/16/2016 at 0:35 PM, highvoltage said:

Seriously... everything about this performance blows me away:

If i think of Axl's post '93 "greatest" performances e.g TWAT at Hammerstein '06, Jungle / Nightrain from Rock Am Ring '06, Prostitute/TWAT at the Vegas '14 shows, Coma from the Reunion gigs.... this is surely right up there with the finest. 

Axl completely obliterates this song and his own vocal chords in the process - that howl is just phenomenal. Amazing stuff. Sorry for the thread, this (and Thunderstruck) just really stood out from the Marseille show for me.

You're not crazy at all. It's way up there with some other performances, along with those you already mentioned. I did not expect any of this after the first reunion shows. I'm really loving this so far, Thunderstruck gave me goosebumps. Haven't been this excited about Axl's vocals since mid 2010.

Hope he brings this to GN'R along with some songs that fit his performances with AC/CD. I'm really hoping for Locomotive and Perfect Crime.

• Like 1

On 16 May 2016 at 4:32 PM, estranged_85 said:

Best vocal performance post -93 are from 2006 IMO, especially rock am ring,and Hammerstein.. Technical,powerfull,raspy when needed, not just 'screaming' out the lyrics. But since 2006 this is Axl's year! he´s totally killing it :)

120% rasp don´t fit every song.

Nightrain at Download '06 is my personal favourite; the way he hits the (what I believe to be) penultimate 'never to return' I believe I've only heard as good on AFD