DJ Ashba: Walking Away From GN'R Was The Hardest Decision I've Ever Had To Make

DJ Ashba's top 5 tips for guitarists

Ashba joined up with GN’R back in 2009 and admits that leaving the band last summer was a gut-wrenching decision, but it all came down to a need for creativity.

“Walking away from GN’R was the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make in my life. I loved sharing the stage with Axl and the guys. Axl put together such an incredible bunch of musicians, and I was proud to be part of that.  

“I’ll always be thankful for Axl believing in me. But it’s not my band and it never will be. I was performing songs written before I got there. I had a blast doing it, and I will cherish it. But we did a 19-day sold-out run on the Sixx:A.M. Modern Vintage tour and it was that tour of playing my own songs - songs that came from my soul - and seeing how they connected to the fanbase, I could not put that feeling into words, and I realised that I needed to follow my heart.”

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/dj-ashbas-top-5-tips-for-guitarists-637663

I understand he's happier playing his own songs but don't give us that crap how you left Guns N' Roses to do your thing.

It's obvious he knew the reunion was in the works as evident by his claims he was welcome to stay, however, he knew he has no business there alongside Slash and Axl was kind enough to let him leave instead of firing him.

He never would have left if reunion wasn't in the works. Now he's milking the whole 'I have so much integrity I left by my own decision' schtick.

Bullshit, DJ. You have nothing to bring to the table so you got the hell out of there. Good call.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

And I can not put into words just how happy I am that you did. 

Guess he finally connected to the this fanbase too. Thank you by take care of us, DJ :facepalm:

i am hoping that all the 4 hired hands (including dizzy reed) take the very same decision sooner than later

i they dont, i am hoping that axl, slash and duff are smart enough to get rid of them asap

so izzy can come back and hopefully steven and we cabn have GNR again

• Like 2

Ashba has more integrity than Axl Rose. Axl is all about nostalgia tours both in his solo career and now with GNR, not including ACDC which seems to be another nostalgia cheese fest.

I'm pretty sure Ashba would love the money this reunion tour is producing but I think he's being genuine about the creativity and playing hiw own songs stuff. Not only because they connect to him but because it's much easier to play Ashba stuff than Slash/Finck stuff.

• Like 1

Ive always been on the more neutral side of DJ. Didnt hate him like everyone but didnt love him either. His playing was alright to me and his stage presence was good

His social media presence andappearance were abysmal though, just not right for GnR. His playing was sloppy too, not Robin bad, but Robin at least expressed a lot creatively.

So, I get the DJ bashing. Hes a nice guy, but he acted more like a wanabee corporate advertised rock star instead of something genuine in GnR.  Everything he did came off as an advertisment. Giving food to the homeless? Cool! Filming yourself giving food and money to the homeless set to your own dramatic music? Come on... 

• Like 2