Chris Slade: Rock Or Bust Is Not The End Of AC/CD

axlslash

From Ultimate Guitar:

up
I like this
votes: 11
views: 7,141
AC/DC Drummer Chris Slade Shares Major Update on Band's Future: Retirement Is NOT an Option

Ever since the announcement of Axl Rose's temporary tenure with AC/DC, many fans have been wondering what the next step for the band is.

After all, once the current 'DC run is over, Axl has to return to Guns N' Roses, seemingly leaving the Aussie gang with a choice to either stop or continue with yet another replacement.

Drummer Chris Sladehas now clarified that matter, saying that retirement is NOT an option.

Noting on Facebook that "we all miss" Brian Johnson, the drummer told a fan: "You are forgetting that Brian cannot do this, his health problems will not allow it."

Sharing the first concrete update on the state of 'DC after the Axl run, Chris stated: "Angus is definitely NOT thinking of retiring."

He added: "We all look forward to Axl not requiring the chair anymore. Shouldn't be too long now.

"It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the band in this form. Of course, everyone would like it to be Brian up there but unfortunately, due to his health problems, this is not possible.

"Axl is doing a wonderful job and the majority opinion now is that the band were right to finish the Rock or Bust tour with him. Fans have the opportunity to go to the shows or not, it is entirely their choice or indeed their loss."

Axl has made it clear that he wants to be a part of this if they continue...he said there are many obstacles to cross before they get to that point but ultimately Axl is going to make this work if they want him.

After this tour ends Angus will start work on a new album, he will prepare ideas for the next tour and in about 3-4 years we could see a new tour...

that gives Axl plenty of time to do a world tour with guns and possibly if they can pull  it together get an album done. 

Best case scenario Axl will have vocals on two albums between 2017-2018 and by 2020 be the richest rock star in the world haha I guess we'll see

That doesn't explicitly make it sound like the band is thinking of continuing with Axl, on the contrary he says seeing the band in this form is a once in a lifetime event. 

That said, it's extremely reassuring that the oldest member of the band is saying this isn't the end of AC/DC.

• Like 4

I don't want AC/DC to end they are great and if Brian can continue somehow or with new singer i'm ok, but i want my singer back in my fucking favorite band focused just on GNR and giving 110% like he does for AC/DC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

That doesn't explicitly make it sound like the band is thinking of continuing with Axl, on the contrary he says seeing the band in this form is a once in a lifetime event. 

That said, it's extremely reassuring that the oldest member of the band is saying this isn't the end of AC/DC.

That's how I read it, too. The band will continue, they don't know how they'll keep going, but Axl/DC is once in this lifetime. Obviously Axl is about to start the Not In This Lifetime tour, so hard to take that as gospel, but it sounds to me like AC/DC don't expect Axl to hang up his GN'R kilt collection to join them full time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

all I know is at 14:00 min Axl says "I'm in, if they want me" in regards to ACDC continuing after fulfilling the tour dates in the states. 

And I think "they" do want him. Just a guess, but Angus is not an idiot. If they have enough material for a new album in the future, better call Axl. Juggling between 2 bands is possible and Axl seems to love this gig.

Kinda problematic now for DC in a way, cause no one will sound as good as Axl in this band imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

all I know is at 14:00 min Axl says "I'm in, if they want me" in regards to ACDC continuing after fulfilling the tour dates in the states. 

Yeah but it's up to Angus to say yiss or no.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

And I think "they" do want him. Just a guess, but Angus is not an idiot. If they have enough material for a new album in the future, better call Axl. Juggling between 2 bands is possible and Axl seems to love this gig.

Kinda problematic now for DC in a way, cause no one will sound as good as Axl in this band imo.

My interest is in if they do an album will they let Axl write lyrics? Angus sings about guitars and rock and roll...Axl sings about complicated feelings he's had to deal with in his life and finding ways to express those feelings in the most complicated way...can they coexist on an ACDC album? Or is Axl just in it to come in and lay down some vocals 

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

My interest is in if they do an album will they let Axl write lyrics? Angus sings about guitars and rock and roll...Axl sings about complicated feelings he's had to deal with in his life and finding ways to express those feelings in the most complicated way...can they coexist on an ACDC album? Or is Axl just in it to come in and lay down some vocals 

I highly doubt Axl is going to sing about complicated feelings on an AC/DC album. That's not what that band is about.

I'd prefer it if Axl will write the lyrics in a future AC/DC album, but even if he just sings it and comes up with the vocal melodies, it's something imo.

I think he can adapt when it comes to lyrics, he wrote for Bach in 1 song, why not write rock n' roll lyrics that are a little less silly, but not too serious. Appetite lyrics without fuck you's. Bon Scott said "shit" sometimes in his lyrics.

Edited by Rovim

What if its the end of Chris Slade and they bring back Phil Rudd.

After this tour gets over, they won't tour or go in the studio till the next 2 to 3 years if you see their past record. 

I have a feeling its end of AC/DC after this tour. 

It all really depends on what happens with Guns I suppose.  I think most on here who oppose the idea assume that Axl devoting his time to AC/DC means he'd be less inclined or too busy to work with the reassembled GNR lineup.  Maybe it's the other way around?  Perhaps Axl wants to ride out this GNR tour (along with stops in Europe, South America, and Asia) while AC/DC takes the time to decide and prepare for the next step?  

Then again, one wonders if the novelty of being in AC/DC will eventually wear off for Axl.  You'd assume that Angus is calling most of the shots.  How long is Axl able or willing to be apart of something where he isn't in the driver's seat?  That's not a knock on him, just an observation regarding where he's been in the last 20 years with respect to Guns.  Then again, perhaps not having final say is somewhat freeing for Axl?  

It's funny that they're crediting all the quotes to Chris but all they've done is take comments/replies from his Chris Slade Timeline Facebook page. He doesn't always update it personally (sometimes it's his son or girlfriend/publicist). The "Angus not thinking of retiring" comment, for example, was in response to a fan commenting that Angus must be playing stuff like IYWB to do it before he retires. None of these were consecutive so much as replies given to comments on a photo.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=814538815344215&id=250282005103235

• Like 1

AC/DC has operated for many years with large gaps between albums and tours. I don't think your going to necessarily see that anymore with their advanced ages. With Slade being 70 and Angus 62 I think, you aren't going to see them wait 4 years to put out another album. If they are going to continue, I think you will see them starting to work on something new fairly quickly after the tour ends.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

yes axl did that on that complicated solo album that he released after all those complications that he went through

life can get very complicated huh?

sometimes things are easier

i keep hearing this persistent rumour that sometime back in the 80s when no one knew who axl was that he went into a studio with 4 other guys and recorded an uncomplicated rock n roll album where he sang about not-so-complicated stuff

rumour says there are 4 or 5 songs about girls and even a song about booze on it!

albums name is appetite for something

Hey Axl, better watch ou!

Brian is making a comeback!

Comedian Jim Breuer and his band The Loud & Rowdy will release a new album Songs From The Garage through Metal Blade Records on May 27. Today, a new single from the record featuring the first recording by Brian Johnson since being forced out of AC/DC has been released.

Backed The Loud & Rowdy members Mike Tichy on drums and Joe Vigliotti on bass and produced by and featuring former Anthrax guitarist and current Volbeat member Rob Caggiano, the single “Mr. Rock N’ Roll” includes vocals from Johnson.

It was revealed in March Johnson had been instructed by doctors to immediately stop touring or risk complete loss of hearing, prompting AC/DC to cancel several concerts. After Guns N’ Roses frontman Axl Rose was tapped to replace him, Johnson issued a statement indicating he intended to continue his career with studio recordings while remaining away from the live stage. He also appeared on The Metal In Me podcast hosted by his longtime friend Breuer, telling the comic he felt “kicked to the curb” by AC/DC’s Angus Young.

“To me, Brian is the most powerful voice in rock and roll,” Breuer told Rolling Stone. “He is also the funniest and most generous man I have ever known. I am still in awe of how he recorded the song and forever thankful.”

Johnson’s vocals can also be heard on the Songs From The Garage track “My Rock N’ Roll Dream.” 

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

yes axl did that on that complicated solo album that he released after all those complications that he went through

life can get very complicated huh?

sometimes things are easier

i keep hearing this persistent rumour that sometime back in the 80s when no one knew who axl was that he went into a studio with 4 other guys and recorded an uncomplicated rock n roll album where he sang about not-so-complicated stuff

rumour says there are 4 or 5 songs about girls and even a song about booze on it!

albums name is appetite for something

Now they're all millionaires and Axl hasn't been interested in going back to a AFD themed album since they released it. His lyrics will always speak of his experiences, and when your living a good life in Malibu it's hard to get back to writing about strippers, drugs, and grinding it out on the streets of Hollywood. 

Axl just writes better lyrics than ACDC ever has, and so it would be interesting to see what they come up with with him.

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Now they're all millionaires and Axl hasn't been interested in going back to a AFD themed album since they released it. His lyrics will always speak of his experiences, and when your living a good life in Malibu it's hard to get back to writing about strippers, drugs, and grinding it out on the streets of Hollywood. 

Axl just writes better lyrics than ACDC ever has, and so it would be interesting to see what they come up with with him.

i think you missed my point

my point is that axl can write about anything he wants, including his good times in malibu, his good times in acdc, booze, girls and rock n roll

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

i think you missed my point

my point is that axl can write about anything he wants, including his good times in malibu, his good times in acdc, booze, girls and rock n roll

I just don't think Axl will go back to writing about simple things, but we'll see