Is Axl saving his voice on the Threeunion tour so he can have it on great shape for the 5 guys Reunion?

axl had a AAAAA+ voice in GNR up to 1991

then he sang like he sang on the izzyless tour (my favorite word to describe 1992-1993 is "on autopilot")

Id say his voice was AAA- during the circus era (tracy, roberta, zig zag etc)

then uncle axl decided to go solo

and once again he sang like he sang (insert your favorite word here ________) on his solo album and on his solo tours (2001-2014)

id say his voice went from acceptable (A-) to really unlistenable (E-) on those solo years

i was convinced axl would never sing good again.

up to three months ago i would bet big money (if i had any) that his voice was gone for good

then the unthinkable happens

there is this threeunion thing and axl seems to have gotten his voice back to a decent level

its like he went from E- to AA+

then the most unbelievable thing happens

axl fucking joins ac fucking dc and starts to sing in a way that really reminds his good days

to me it sounds somewhat like 1993 

its like he went to AAA+ level again

now what will come next?

get rid of the 4 hired hands, get izzy and steven onboard and axl voice will be AAAAA+ again?

in other words...

Is Axl saving his voice on the Threeunion tour so he can have it on great shape for the 5 guys Reunion?

Edited by ludurigan

Its the use it or lose it principle with his voice..he sounds good with AC/DC because he rehearsed the shit out of their songs.

with GNR, he doesnt rehearse so his voice always sounds weak at the beginning of tours and gets better the more shows he plays. with Slash and Duff being back, he got a bit of fire in his belly again, and he's done well so far. still room for improvement though. His run with AC/DC should have his vocals well warmed up for the Summer GNR tour.

• Like 2

I think he's tried something different this year...he got a stylist, he got a trainer, he probably worked with a vocal coach, and he's been rehearsing with GNR and ACDC in order to give the best performance he can. That combination has gotten Axl in a place where he is looking and sounding very professional 

• Like 4

Axl sounded awful with GNR the last couple of years he was on tour. There was no expectation for what he would sound like on this tour. So he comes out sounding great and people are surprised and loving every minute of it. 

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 2

I think the first GNR reunion shows are going to be as bad as it gets. Now he's hitting stride with DC. So by the time of first real GNR stadium show he going to be fiah. 

But Axl has always been great live. It's just that doing 3 hour shows with falsetto and full vocal range is asking a lot for every song to be perfect. Not even in 91-92. No youtube years will remain perfecto. Funny thing when Axl was killing Slash and Duff were hammered. 

4 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Its the use it or lose it principle with his voice..he sounds good with AC/DC because he rehearsed the shit out of their songs.

with GNR, he doesnt rehearse so his voice always sounds weak at the beginning of tours and gets better the more shows he plays. with Slash and Duff being back, he got a bit of fire in his belly again, and he's done well so far. still room for improvement though. His run with AC/DC should have his vocals well warmed up for the Summer GNR tour.

THIS. 

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think he's tried something different this year...he got a stylist, he got a trainer, he probably worked with a vocal coach, and he's been rehearsing with GNR and ACDC in order to give the best performance he can. That combination has gotten Axl in a place where he is looking and sounding very professional 

And THIS.

8 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

before rock in rio 1991 axl hadnt rehearsed with the band for months (maybe years) and he sounded fantastic 

I wish Axl gave an in depth interview regarding his voice. I really want to know why his voice was shit when he returned from hiding in 2001 and throughout 2002 awful tour. I understand why he was shit in 2011-2014, he just didn't care. 

Axl better sing in full rasp on every GNR song for the summer tour. He has done it for ACDC, now GNR fans will be expecting it as well. 

Edited by SWINGTRADER

I'm saving my money for the "quintunion"

love the OP. some really fashionable terms / topics collected in one post: 1993, solo, threeunion. love it all.

the more I think of it, the more I see these "lost years" (1993 - 2015) are really the Axl solo years. the middle ages of GNR. the dark ages, with a miserable attempt at faking a GNR record. the lows were competing for most embarrassing / depressing moment in GNR history ever: the chicken bucket, the mickey voice, the beta appearance, the one with the top hat, the "without paul there is no GNR" comment, the massive cd disappointment and commercial failure, the drunk sub bass player, the pimp costumes, yellow raincoats, the moustache handlebar, cornrows....

all of that has been sweeped away with one big gesture. say hello to vintage Slash tone, 1993 voice Axl, strippers, Axl tweets, convincing renditions of "out ta get me" and "coma", sold out stadiums, and rock solid performances.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

In my opinion, his voice was at its strongest during 1992-1993, not sure where the 'autopilot' mention is coming from. The pure power in his voice during the 92' shows were immense. IMO Axl with a beard sounded more consistent than Axl without a beard hahaha maybe the beard gave him some confidence + masculinity. Watch any video where Axl is performing with facial hair, and he shows up ready to kill it! 

Edited by GNRFan53

18 minutes ago, GNRFan53 said:

In my opinion, his voice was at its strongest during 1992-1993, not sure where the 'autopilot' mention is coming from. The pure power in his voice during the 92' shows were immense. IMO Axl with a beard sounded more consistent than Axl without a beard hahaha maybe the beard gave him some confidence + masculinity. Watch any video where Axl is performing with facial hair, and he shows up ready to kill it! 

I assume you were zoned out during the infamous Hulk Hogan mustache era or did you already repress the memory from that trauma? 

1 hour ago, Changes said:

I assume you were zoned out during the infamous Hulk Hogan mustache era or did you already repress the memory from that trauma? 

HA! I didn't even think of that. I was referring to the full beard of the 1990's. Hulk Hogan stache does not count :lol:

17 hours ago, ludurigan said:

axl had a AAAAA+ voice in GNR up to 1991

then he sang like he sang on the izzyless tour (my favorite word to describe 1992-1993 is "on autopilot")

Id say his voice was AAA- during the circus era (tracy, roberta, zig zag etc)

then uncle axl decided to go solo

and once again he sang like he sang (insert your favorite word here ________) on his solo album and on his solo tours (2001-2014)

id say his voice went from acceptable (A-) to really unlistenable (E-) on those solo years

i was convinced axl would never sing good again.

up to three months ago i would bet big money (if i had any) that his voice was gone for good

then the unthinkable happens

there is this threeunion thing and axl seems to have gotten his voice back to a decent level

its like he went from E- to AA+

then the most unbelievable thing happens

axl fucking joins ac fucking dc and starts to sing in a way that really reminds his good days

to me it sounds somewhat like 1993 

its like he went to AAA+ level again

now what will come next?

get rid of the 4 hired hands, get izzy and steven onboard and axl voice will be AAAAA+ again?

in other words...

I find this creepy af. 

• Like 1

The amount of bollicks threads in the "news" and discussion section is off the charts. Surely the discussion should have some grounding in reality otherwise it should be posted in anything goes or one of the other non main sections. 

Is Axl saving his voice for a AFD reunion? No.

This is essentially the same  bogus shite that is being discussed in "is Axl singing better with AC/DC because he likes AC/DC more than GnR" thread. 

Can this crap be filtered? Does it have to clutter up news & discussion? Can there be a separate place for pointless 'what if' scenarios (maybe name it that ?). Everytime I come on this site there's another 2-3 new 'what if Axl' threads and it's usually not interesting or based in any piece of factual information. 

Now, I love analysing and discussing gnr so don't confuse what I've said. There's a big difference between discussing gnr past and present and talking about gnr hypotheticals.

• Like 1

First of all his voice was better in 2010, than it's now. Just because he's singing songs that fit his voice perfectly doesn't mean that his voice became a lot better all of a sudden. It's the same voice, he's had all the time this year. Perhaps a tiny bit better. But the big difference is that with AC/DC he's singing only the kind of songs that fit his voice. 

You're saying that during the 2001-2014 years his voice was acceptable A- at best and now his voice is AAA+. Seriously, show me ONE Whole Lotta Rosie from this year that would be as good as this one: 

Pretty much any WLR from 2010 is better than the one's from this year. His voice is absolutely great right now, but it's nowhere near as good as back then and if he had made an AC/DC tour back then he would have sounded much much better than he does now. Even though he's almost perfect now.

And no, absolutely nothing suggests that he would be saving his voice for anything.

Edited by Lies They Tell

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

before rock in rio 1991 axl hadnt rehearsed with the band for months (maybe years) and he sounded fantastic 

Yes. but Axl was in shape and also was 28 years old. Big difference to now where he is older and heavier than in his youth. Plus, I think what gets left out is that Axl was a smoker back then. That definitely helped in that nice smokey rasp he had.