Has the novelty worn off for anyone else?

HeartbreakerWoman

The Troubadour show, and the first two Vegas shows were as amazing and exciting as any time for me as a GN'R fan...But after that, the novelty has kind of worn off for me. Yes, Axl, Slash and Duff are back together, but it seems very "by the numbers", there doesn't seem to be a high level of chemistry or enthusiasm with this lineup, compared to say, the 1993 end of the UYI high energy shows....Don't get me wrong, I love having Slash back, and I would buy ten copies of a new album this lineup made as it would be a dream come true. But compare Axl's level of enthusiasm and even the voice factor with his performances with AC/DC to Guns...Compare the overall energy and chemistry between the two groups at present. I just wonder if this is just awkwardness due to 20 years of separation and animosity, or if their hearts are truly in it? I mean, seeing Coma live for the first time in 23 years was one of the most incredible, spine tingling musical events of my whole life...But, outside of that, it just feels like the novelty of this thing has vanished, both in myself and in what I see in the band...

If they released even just one single new song, I'd be over the moon. But....it just feels by the book.

Anyone else feeling the same?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

The Troubadour show, and the first two Vegas shows were as amazing and exciting as any time for me as a GN'R fan...But after that, the novelty has kind of worn off for me. Yes, Axl, Slash and Duff are back together, but it seems very "by the numbers", there doesn't seem to be a high level of chemistry or enthusiasm with this lineup, compared to say, the 1993 end of the UYI high energy shows....Don't get me wrong, I love having Slash back, and I would buy ten copies of a new album this lineup made as it would be a dream come true. But compare Axl's level of enthusiasm and even the voice factor with his performances with AC/DC to Guns...Compare the overall energy and chemistry between the two groups at present. I just wonder if this is just awkwardness due to 20 years of separation and animosity, or if their hearts are truly in it? I mean, seeing Coma live for the first time in 23 years was one of the most incredible, spine tingling musical events of my whole life...But, outside of that, it just feels like the novelty of this thing has vanished, both in myself and in what I see in the band...

If they released even just one single new song, I'd be over the moon. But....it just feels by the book.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Love the post. It was like the thread where people could rate this continuation/reunion on a scale from awful to perfect, and to say it's awful would be insane. Saying it's been perfect is a little over the top and most likely adrenaline. And hey there was quite a bit to be pumped about, like you said, for me, a year ago I would have lost my mind over the thought of axl, slash and duff getting back together. Seeing them play Chinese songs is surreal, seeing them play coma was something to really celebrate. April was just plain awesome for GNR fans.

But ultimately, you're right in your assessment. It was all awesome but, I'm right back down to earth. There's still so many unanswered questions about GNR that I'm not really sure what I'm watching still or how much there is to be excited about long term since no one is talking. So while I will preach that it's exciting to be a GNR fan and this is a cool thing, it's also been a bit of a headache. The whole "axl sounds better with acdc" thing is just shit to me, or at least I think it is? I mean most tours axl never sounded good at he beginning and it always took him a few shows to get into it.

ACDC is on the same page and they told us. GNR have not said a thing. Axl has sounded better and better as time has gone on but until the GNR stadium shows start next month, it's hard to tell what his deck of cards are. But the one fact remains, if axl sounds better with acdc then he does with GNR this summer I don't know if it'll be a good look for him or this "reunion" or whatever the hell it is:lol:

Edited by Billsfan

They need new material to make it feel more real and now. 

The excitement with Axl DC is that is something new. 

But every show a new group of fans get to see this reunion of AxlSlashDuff. It's impossible to keep things exciting everyday. But yea word on a record in 2018 would quell the thirst. Something to look forward after seeing the show. 

• Like 1

I completely agree, the novelty wore off after the Vegas shows.

That Thursday night leading up to the Troubadour was so exciting with all the rumours and speculation as was the Friday night waiting for the TMZ pics/fan videos we got.

The next weekend I had the same excitement with the Vegas shows, staying up till 3 am to live stream each show...couldn't believe I was seeing Axl, Slash & Duff on stage together. I even bought the $40 Nightrain membership so I could get the pre sale/t-shirt. While I will still be overly excited when I get to see Guns N Roses for the first time on July 16 something isn't right.

I still enjoyed following the Coachella and Mexico shows (stayed up till 2am for pro shot footage) but to me it felt like something wasn't right about this whole thing and I don't know what THAT is. As of right now, I've lost the hype and excitement about this current tour a little bit.

Maybe it's just the nuGNR guys still being there? The lack of information and engagement with fans? No interviews?

• Like 1

Nope. Still blows my mind when I go back and watch Coma.. first time in 23 years. Slash and Duff standing by Axl's throne like his pillars of strength.. just amazing. Unfortunately the timing of Axl/DC means I'm sitting here eagerly awaiting more GNR shows.

11 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

I completely agree, the novelty wore off after the Vegas shows.

That Thursday night leading up to the Troubadour was so exciting with all the rumours and speculation as was the Friday night waiting for the TMZ pics/fan videos we got.

The next weekend I had the same excitement with the Vegas shows, staying up till 3 am to live stream each show...couldn't believe I was seeing Axl, Slash & Duff on stage together. I even bought the $40 Nightrain membership so I could get the pre sale/t-shirt. While I will still be overly excited when I get to see Guns N Roses for the first time on July 16 something isn't right.

I still enjoyed following the Coachella and Mexico shows (stayed up till 2am for pro shot footage) but to me it felt like something wasn't right about this whole thing and I don't know what THAT is. As of right now, I've lost the hype and excitement about this current tour a little bit.

Maybe it's just the nuGNR guys still being there? The lack of information and engagement with fans? No interviews?

I think there's a lack of chemistry between Axl and Slash. Duff is always full of energy and fun to watch, he's always like a big kid with this stuff. But...It feels very cold between the other two. That's what doesn't feel right to me. Axl seems into it, I mean he rocks out from the chair...Slash, I look at him and it just makes me wonder what he's thinking. When you see the closeups and you see his face you don't see a lot of excitement or energy there. I know they're not 20+ somethings anymore so, but even taking age into account...I don't know like I said if Slash just feels really awkward and mindfucked being on stage with Axl again or if he's just doing it for the paycheck to be honest. Not being able to do interviews, to talk about what's what, I'm sure, bothers him, he always loved that shit...

I think if we had a single interview, even if it was just about BS topics, it'd make it feel more like a "band"...Right now, outside of Axl and Duff, it just feels like a bunch of guys on stage going through the motions not really excited...

Compare the energy of this show by the Stones from 1990 (they were albeit younger than Axl and Slash are, but still):

To anything we've gotten from this reunion. There's no chemistry, no warmth, no passion in the performances we've seen.

• Like 1

The chemistry is still there, that wasn't a sure thing but they played Coma and the shows actually made me more confident in this line up. It doesn't feel like just a nostalgia trip.

And it's not just chemistry, the excitement seems to be there. All they need to do is keep the momentum going and then use that to record and release another album and support it live for 5 years.

• Like 1

for a lot of people the novelty wasn't there in the first place, yes we all stayed up late for the troubadour and vegas shows but when steve and izzy didn't show up we was mad even though we knew we was watching some good stuff. seeing axl/duff or slash/duff was nothing new, we all wanted to see axl/slash back again. what an anticlimax, bring back ashba, slash has been playing like he has simply been paid to play and has no passion behind it. maybe they are waiting for next year(AFD 30th) when those 5 guys can give us a treat. 

new material ? axl is the lead singer of 2 major bands and both are on world tours right now, how much spare time to go in the studio do you think he gets ? GNR must be the worlds biggest cover band with so little material of their own so just stick buick mackane on, crank the stereo up full blast and enjoy :)

No way not at all for me, the videos and pictures that are being released keep the fire burning. I think AC/DC sort of put a brake on things but that gives more time to prepare for deeper cut songs like perfect crime, locomotive etc. For me all the pictures trickling out is good and keeping the novelty up!

As far as Slash goes, I don't think he's doing it solely for the money, although that is part of it obviously.  I think he's wanted to reunite with Axl for a long time, but there has been a long nasty history there, so I don't think he can be "carefree" about it after only a handful of shows.  Plus he is sober, so I think just his whole demeanor on stage is different than the old days.

And let's face it, Axl is still calling the majority of the shots here.  Team Brazil is surrounding him all the time, so how much of a personal relationship do Slash, Duff and Axl have at this point?  The summer should be interesting.

great post.

maybe because of the leg injury, the reunion took off some steam?

i think when Axl can perform again while walking / running, he can inject a lot more excitement in the shows. 

Axl was laughing practically on every concert: there is some enthusiasm there alright. MORE so than in the AC/DC shows. anyone can see that.

we also have the possibility of Steven / Izzy coming back.

I have an empty feeling, they have some surprises left for us

Now that they've got a bunch of dates booked it will be a while before they can even get in the studio. And in reality it's 50/50 if it'll even be worth it with what albums sell these days. My guess is they'll focus on milking the tour until they go their separate ways.

I think there's just a feeling that something is missing here...they don't do interviews, they don't talk about the shows, they don't talk about future plans, and the shows just feel like business as usual, I think this silence is starting to weigh heavy on everyone. Maybe this is how they want it to be until they need to do the talking...it's like they have to keep it exciting by bundling a bunch of good things together and then giving them to us instead of releasing them one at a time. I'm sure there is good plans in place to keep the ball rolling on this, too much is at stake so I'll see how the summer tour pans out...I'm more into Axl/DC at the moment but I'll be right back on guns in come June 23rd

I don't feel that way at all. Axl, Slash, and Duff are in top form. Songs like Coma are being played. What more could we want save Steven and Izzy? This is beyond exciting compared to the last few years for me. This is the real Guns we are seeing finally, again. I am loving every minute of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Now that they've got a bunch of dates booked it will be a while before they can even get in the studio. And in reality it's 50/50 if it'll even be worth it with what albums sell these days. My guess is they'll focus on milking the tour until they go their separate ways.

I don't believe that at all. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. There was no statement of intention from the band, an interview with all of them in the same room even. It's too early to talk about separate ways and there is only one way to make it truly count.

It doesn't have to sell anything. These are musicians, and they haven't played together for 20 years. They make enough money from touring. I'll give them some time to play together, it's a good thing anyway and Slash writes on the road.

There's a chance they'll try, why not? if only to justify more touring but I don't think that will be the reason if an album is the plan.

Edited by Rovim

I agree that we have to wait for the summer tour. I still have an interest but since not much is happening at the moment there is not much new to be excited about. 

However, like others have pointed out, it's never as good as when dreaming of it. I live in a cold country with long and dark winters. I try and travel to warmer places during that time and beforehand it's the event of the winter. I daydream about the trip immensely, can't even imagine what it will be like to walk around with bare legs and feel a warm breeze against my skin. Then I arrive and the first dip in that carribean turquoise sea is amazing. But it takes about half a day to get used to it. It's still very comfortable and nice, but not overwhelming, and I sort of imagine that things at home aren't that bad either weather wise. I kind of forget that reality exists. 

I think I am experiencing something similar here. Thing is when I get home from my holiday I go into a mild depression, before adapting to the dark and cold again. Then the next year I start the intense dreaming about palm trees again. 

• Like 1

For me personally,it somewhat has lost its luster.It was great and all to see 3 original members back on stage for first time together in  2 decades plus.I had a blast at show and will see them again in a few months .Someone started a thread awhile back asking if this would the last time you would see them live.I can't see myself shelling out anymore cash to see them play decades old songs again after next show I attend without any new music.There discography is limited compared to other bands that have been around as long or almost as long and other bands still continue to try and release new music and to incorporate it into their shows which add something different into each tour you attend.With Guns it's basically the same show plus a few songs from CD that I seenjoy a handful of times decades ago.