What Mr. and Mrs. Young had to say about Axl...

4 hours ago, Apollo said:

Why should Angus have to retire just because one member is injured and can't perform? How is that fair to the guys currently in the band? Axl lost his entire band, replaced everybody, replaced some positions 3-4 times over - but kept the GnR name through it all.

AC/DC's legacy isn't just one dude. Brian wasn't even the original singer. Should they have retired the AC/DC brand after Bon died? The main part of any bands legacy is the music. The songs. 

And as long as 50,000 people - in multiple cities - are willing to pay big bucks to go enjoy the music, then why in the hell would any band in that situation even thing about retiring?

It really is a bit arrogant for "fans" to tell musicians what is "best" for them and their career. Angus has been kicking ass and taking names in rock music for four decades. I think he will retire the AC/DC brand when he thinks it's the right time. That is his 100% right. 

I'm just glad I don't have complete strangers telling me how to live my life, or that I should retire or shut my business down. 

Because it's not just Brian that's gone. In the past 2-3 or something years they've lost Malcolm, Phil and Brian. It's a bit like a NuGuns scenario if they keep going, only these guys are much older and it's the most reasonable decision to retire. Yes, I don't think AC/DC fans are as invested in all of the members as the Guns fanbase is, but it still feels like the band are beating a dead horse (pardon the pun :D) for their own personal gain. AC/DC have had a tremendous run and they've had perhaps the biggest longevity of all the rock legends. It's time to put it to rest and if the members still wanna tour or make music, they can start solo careers or join a supergroup or something.

Oh, and also, we don't want Axl to spend his creative efforts there instead of in Guns. If there's gonna be new music from this guy, it better be with GNR. :lol:

• Like 1

Sometimes "true fans" can be knuckleheads, whether it's the hate towards Axl/DC or a GNR reunion HAS to be the AFD lineup. 

If Axl/DC puts a new album out, I doubt Axl would be writing more than one or two songs with them, but you're talking 4-5 years from now, and it would depend on what GNR were doing at the time. Brian stopped writing with AC/DC a long time ago. 

I know AC/DC had met with fans for years and been good about signing autographs, nice to know Axl's doing the same, but if some "true fan" pisses him off, that's the end of it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nonok said:

Because it's not just Brian that's gone. In the past 2-3 or something years they've lost Malcolm, Phil and Brian. It's a bit like a NuGuns scenario if they keep going, only these guys are much older and it's the most reasonable decision to retire. Yes, I don't think AC/DC fans are as invested in all of the members as the Guns fanbase is, but it still feels like the band are beating a dead horse (pardon the pun :D) for their own personal gain. AC/DC have had a tremendous run and they've had perhaps the biggest longevity of all the rock legends. It's time to put it to rest and if the members still wanna tour or make music, they can start solo careers or join a supergroup or something.

Oh, and also, we don't want Axl to spend his creative efforts there instead of in Guns. If there's gonna be new music from this guy, it better be with GNR. :lol:

It would be like GNR putting a new album out with Slash and Duff, and they decided at the last minute to quit the band before the tour. The fans griping about Axl/DC already had AC/DC pass through a lot of the same cities on this tour. Over the past 20 years you only had Ballbuster, Stiff Upper Lip, Black Ice and Rock Or Bust tours, but they did long world tours and gave plenty of opportunities to see them with Brian.

Once they were carrying on without Malcolm - and I know it wasn't the first time, but this was permanent being he was the founder, songwriter, business head of the whole thing - all bets were off as far as lineups go. Angus was always the "face" of AC/DC through the years anyway. If You Want Blood is blurry but he's the one getting stabbed with the guitar. Highway To Hell, he's the one with the horns out in front, and the Aussie Dirty Deeds is just someone's crappy drawing (Hipgnosis created an iconic album cover). 

I would have just put bars over the eyes in that photo (like the Dirty Deeds cover) 

You would have to say losing Malcolm was the biggest kick in the bollocks seeing as he is their primary songwriter.

They're just about clinging in there for me. Just! Cliff Williams, who is often forgotten, gives it a bit added legitimacy, being a member during 'DC's greatest run of albums (Powerage to Back In Black), and Slade is sort of their 'second designated drummer', their Sorum I suppose, being that he was around during the great Razor's Edge era. Also, it was Young for Young, and Stevie had played in 1988.

I think if Angus had replaced Rudd and Malcolm with two randoms, two guys who had never been in DC before, it would resemble an Axl situation and would be imperiled in regards to legitimacy, much like Nugnr, however Angus likes to keep things 'in the family'. So I repeat, it is just about clinging on for me.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You would have to say losing Malcolm was the biggest kick in the bollocks seeing as he is their primary songwriter.

They're just about clinging in there for me. Just! Cliff Williams, who is often forgotten, gives it a bit added legitimacy, being a member during 'DC's greatest run of albums (Powerage to Back In Black), and Slade is sort of their 'second designated drummer', their Sorum I suppose, being that he was around during the great Razor's Edge era. Also, it was Young for Young, and Stevie had played in 1988.

I think if Angus had replaced Rudd and Malcolm with two randoms, two guys who had never been in DC before, it would resemble an Axl situation and would be imperiled in regards to legitimacy, much like Nugnr, however Angus likes to keep things 'in the family'. So I repeat, it is just about clinging on for me.

But shouldn't you regard AC/DC as a different animal from the band they were in the 70s/80s/90s? I think we are lucky they still want to get out there and do it considering their age and they certainly don't need to do it for the money. Everyone that is out of AC/DC is either due to health problems or problems with the law. Yes, Rudd was stupid enough to bring that on himself, he'd be touring the new album if it wasn't for his flat out stupidity. Same for Malcolm who couldn't get his act together in 88' leading to Stevie playing on that tour.

I see AC/DC right now pure as a nostalgia act. It's not like the new material has been that groundbreaking. I'm personally not waiting on the next AC/DC album. If it comes, ok, I'll check it out, but they've already proven themselves time and time again. I think they can still pull off two tours tops with this lineup. There will come a time when Angus will have to hang up the guitar as well.

P.S. @Lumikki very cool you got to meet Angus & Axl!

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bumblefeet said:

But shouldn't you regard AC/DC as a different animal from the band they were in the 70s/80s/90s? I think we are lucky they still want to get out there and do it considering their age and they certainly don't need to do it for the money. Everyone that is out of AC/DC is either due to health problems or problems with the law. Yes, Rudd was stupid enough to bring that on himself, he'd be touring the new album if it wasn't for his flat out stupidity. Same for Malcolm who couldn't get his act together in 88' leading to Stevie playing on that tour.

I see AC/DC right now pure as a nostalgia act. It's not like the new material has been that groundbreaking. I'm personally not waiting on the next AC/DC album. If it comes, ok, I'll check it out, but they've already proven themselves time and time again. I think they can still pull off two tours tops with this lineup. There will come a time when Angus will have to hang up the guitar as well.

P.S. @Lumikki very cool you got to meet Angus & Axl!

I've liked their last two albums.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've liked their last two albums.

Black Ice was to long. They could have easily cut two or three songs from the album. There are some good tracks anyway.

Rock Or Bust was the better album. The title track, Miss Adventure, Dogs of War and Sweet Candy are my favourites from it.

Edited by Sosso

5 hours ago, Bumblefeet said:

I don't think that Axl will write anything in regards of the music. Maybe some of the lyrics. Angus & Stevie are probably the main songwriters now (It's just unrealistic that Cliff and Chris are co-songwriters for the next album).

Edited by Sosso

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:00 AM, Apollo said:

Why should Angus have to retire just because one member is injured and can't perform? How is that fair to the guys currently in the band? Axl lost his entire band, replaced everybody, replaced some positions 3-4 times over - but kept the GnR name through it all.

AC/DC's legacy isn't just one dude. Brian wasn't even the original singer. Should they have retired the AC/DC brand after Bon died? The main part of any bands legacy is the music. The songs. 

And as long as 50,000 people - in multiple cities - are willing to pay big bucks to go enjoy the music, then why in the hell would any band in that situation even thing about retiring?

It really is a bit arrogant for "fans" to tell musicians what is "best" for them and their career. Angus has been kicking ass and taking names in rock music for four decades. I think he will retire the AC/DC brand when he thinks it's the right time. That is his 100% right. 

I'm just glad I don't have complete strangers telling me how to live my life, or that I should retire or shut my business down. 

Yes!!

• Like 1

On May 21, 2016 at 3:00 AM, Apollo said:

I agree with one thing you said - the legacy of a band is never just about one dude.  Which is probably why, despite Axl's effort to continue  with his band for the past 15 years, many fans never really considered it to be Guns N Roses.  I don't know if AC/DC has the same bullshit with the band name and if it belongs to Angus or whatever, but I would not be surprised that if he decides to continue with it after these obligatory tour dates are over,  without certain key members, there will be many AC/DC fans who will feel the same as Guns fans did. 

As for those 50,000+ people going to the shows, those tickets were sold when Brian was still in the band.  Who knows if AC/DC would be able to do that in the future.   Guns certainly wasn't selling out stadiums with replacements, not until Slash and Duff came back.  

Finally, I think t's silly to call fans arrogant for expressing  their opinions on their favorite band.  Haven't we've all had experiences with not only receiving  unsolicited advice but even giving it, that's just life, why should a musician be any different.   And just like us,  they can either take it or leave it.  If fans had never expressed their  desire to see Axl and Slash perform together on stage again,  it may never have happened.  

On the topic, cool story about meeting Angus and his wife.  I think Axl looks better without all the hats too!

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I see where you are coming from. But what's fhe alternative?

You spend 40 years building up your band. Just because one or two guys have to drop out, why should you have to quit as well? Why should Angus have to retire his band, hire four new guys under a new name, and then only tour new songs?

Imagine telling people get at other professions. Sorry Lebron. The Cavs lost a key player. You need to  quit the team and go play for the Lakers or join a new sport and play football. Or sorry Chef, I know you are world famous for your gourmet seafood dishes and your seafood restaurants. But now you need to quit and start cooking steaks at a new restaurant with a new name. 

Sorry Di Caprio. You need to leave Hollywood and start doing theatre work in Idaho. 

Are these old bands just hanging on? Yes. Is that new music relevant? No. Will they ever be as huge as they were 20 years ago? No.

But if the guys in the band are still enjoying their careers. And people are willing to pay to come see them. Then why shouldn't they keep the train rolling?

• Like 1

On May 21, 2016 at 4:31 AM, nonok said:

It still feels like the band are beating a dead horse (pardon the pun :D) for their own personal gain.

1) For their own gain? I dunno, seems to me 50k+ people per show are leaving happy, which means the audience "gains" something from this. I'm not hearing many complaints.

Besides, I'm pretty sure they could've gone with a replacement who was MUCH less expensive than Axl if all they cared about was a last ditch cash grab for their own personal gain.

2) It's time to put it to rest and if the members still wanna tour or make music, they can start solo careers or join a supergroup or something.

I get that Angus wears a schoolboy outfit but you literally sound like a school teacher telling your 3rd graders what they can/cannot do - "It's time to come in from recess, but if you still want to play after class that's fine." 

3) Oh, and also, we don't want Axl to spend his creative efforts there instead of in Guns. If there's gonna be new music from this guy, it better be with GNR. :lol:

Who's "we"? Seems most of Axl's fans, hardcore and casual alike, are thrilled by this. Personally I'm hoping for an Axl/DC album as well as more GN'R material. But I'm not entitled to either one.

Geez man. A friendly suggestion for the folks who are morally opposed to what their (grown-ass adult) rock heroes choose to do with their lives and their businesses: Don't go to the show. Problem solved. The (Rock N' Roll) Train is leaving with or without you :P

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Apollo said:

I see where you are coming from. But what's fhe alternative?

You spend 40 years building up your band. Just because one or two guys have to drop out, why should you have to quit as well? Why should Angus have to retire his band, hire four new guys under a new name, and then only tour new songs?

Imagine telling people get at other professions. Sorry Lebron. The Cavs lost a key player. You need to  quit the team and go play for the Lakers or join a new sport and play football. Or sorry Chef, I know you are world famous for your gourmet seafood dishes and your seafood restaurants. But now you need to quit and start cooking steaks at a new restaurant with a new name. 

Sorry Di Caprio. You need to leave Hollywood and start doing theatre work in Idaho. 

Are these old bands just hanging on? Yes. Is that new music relevant? No. Will they ever be as huge as they were 20 years ago? No.

But if the guys in the band are still enjoying their careers. And people are willing to pay to come see them. Then why shouldn't they keep the train rolling?

Malcolm Young is the equivalent of John Lennon dropping out of The Beatles (and the Beatles continuing)!

I'm not very knowledgeable on American sports but sports are rather different to an artistic entity which produces music. Sports are tied to a geographical zones and demographics, and are seen as as a continuing community concern, which will (hopefully) outlive everyone involved, fans and team members alike. Even when you have gigantic names who identified themselves with a sporting team for a sufficient period of time, there is an agreement that the club will outlive its star player eventually. Musical acts create a sort of an inherent body - John Lennon for instance is inherent to The Beatles. They become the name.

Regardless though - as I said - I'm clinging on in there. If (as seems to be the case) Brian's departure was justified and amicable, Axl is certainly performing admirably in that role - beyond my expectations. There is still just enough there to say 'AC/DC', Angus's guitaristics, Cliff, Slade. To me Axl/DC is more AC/DC than Nugnr was Guns N' Roses. In Nugnr there was not a lot there for the Slash or Izzy supporter. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarlaHooch said:

1) For their own gain? I dunno, seems to me 50k+ people per show are leaving happy, which means the audience "gains" something from this. I'm not hearing many complaints.

Besides, I'm pretty sure they could've gone with a replacement who was MUCH less expensive than Axl if all they cared about was a last ditch cash grab for their own personal gain.

2) It's time to put it to rest and if the members still wanna tour or make music, they can start solo careers or join a supergroup or something.

I get that Angus wears a schoolboy outfit but you literally sound like a school teacher telling your 3rd graders what they can/cannot do - "It's time to come in from recess, but if you still want to play after class that's fine." 

3) Oh, and also, we don't want Axl to spend his creative efforts there instead of in Guns. If there's gonna be new music from this guy, it better be with GNR. :lol:

Who's "we"? Seems most of Axl's fans, hardcore and casual alike, are thrilled by this. Personally I'm hoping for an Axl/DC album as well as more GN'R material. But I'm not entitled to either one.

Geez man. A friendly suggestion for the folks who are morally opposed to what their (grown-ass adult) rock heroes choose to do with their lives and their businesses: Don't go to the show. Problem solved. The (Rock N' Roll) Train is leaving with or without you :P

I get the whole "you don't own me, I decide what to do with this band" mindset that Angus and Axl have, and I absolutely agree that an artist's wishes come first... But disregarding advice that comes from the opposite "side" completely like it's all BS is a sign of narcissism. That's why as much as I've been on Axl's "side" during his feud with everyone Slash, there are plenty of arguments that the fans of the original lineup, Slash, Duff, Izzy etc. said that made total sense and you'd have to be an idiot to blindly reject them. Same thing with AC/DC, though missing a lot of the drama. Fans become fans because they love the music and the band - from the voice and the guitar to the faces of the musicians. Continuing the tour is very rock n' roll, it's a "shit happens, but we'll power through this one" attitude and it's great, however, going on for another 10 years without more than half of the original members like Angus wants is just stupid. Malcolm was their primary songwriter, Brian's (and formerly Bon's) appearance, these things are a huge part of the band's integrity. It's never a one man show with a band, otherwise it becomes a pseudo solo project.

It looks like we're not looking at the same forums/news/social media if you think there's no backlash from AC/DC fans. Yeah, Axl managed to sway their opinion that he can nail the songs and the fans mostly shut up, but a new album for AC/DC with him on lead vocals is gonna be kind of like a stab in the back for both their fans, and GNR's. We all enjoy the Axl/DC shows and it's a great favor that he's doing for AC/DC, but him becoming a full-time member or releasing albums with them is going overboard - the man takes decades between albums for his own band and now that he's in another one, he's all creative and having fun? If he really doesn't wanna make songs for Guns, then why keep the name and tour for so many years? And Angus (apparently) doesn't care too much for Brian's legacy and will basically pick a singer (albeit a damn amazing one) and continue to play? If he does want to do that, then a new name would be appropriate for the band - again, like NuGuns, and the reason why a whole lot of people were pissed at Axl - it's not the real GNR without the real members.

6 hours ago, J Dog said:

Axl taking suggestions on his attire. Doing interviews. Band photos. Going on stage before fucking midnight. Angus is a bad man :lol:

I don't get why people are disappointed with Axl not fitting their perceptions of him, that they've become comfortable with. People change after all. Without some change involved, Axl wouldn't be playing in the same band with Slash. What if he took a decade and a half to release new music? Is it a bad thing if he changes now, and is friendly to fans, and does photos and goes on stage on time? I certainly hope that this is the tip of the iceberg. Maybe he's in the phase of his life where he wants to do everything he possibly can, while he still has the ability to do so. More power to him if that's the case.

Edited by The Archer
Edited for clarity and errors
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I don't get why people are disappointed with Axl not fitting their perceptions of him, that they've become comfortable with. People change after all. Without some change involved Axl, wouldn't be playing in the same band with Slash. What if he took a decade and a half to release new music? Is it a bad thing if he changes now, and is friendly to fans, and does photos and goes on stage on time? I certainly hope that this is the top of the iceberg. Maybe he's in the phase of his life where he wants to do everything he possibly can, while he still has the ability to do so. More power to him if that's the case.

Oh I'm with you. I'm just giving him a hard time. I love this Axl and hope, like you said, it's the tip of the iceberg. It really seems like he's come around a lot, an epiphany if you will. That's probably too dramatic but something has happened to him, for the better. I think that's why I've been so infatuated with AXL/DC. Seeing him out there, with a big act like AC/DC, putting himself on the line. I mean shit, I saw tons of stuff people were saying when they first announced everything. How it would be a train wreck. How bad it was going to sound etc. To see him come out and kick ass has been a joy to watch. Even that short little interview with Angus was nice, just to see him chilling and talking like that. He even looks more like himself. I hope this Axl is here to stay for a little while. I think AC/DC has been one of the best things to happen to him in a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Dude said:

I've had a few stalkers sign my car.....

my home, my computer, and my phone.

You must have made it and be standing on a sheet of plastic. 

Solo

13 hours ago, nonok said:

I get the whole "you don't own me, I decide what to do with this band" mindset that Angus and Axl have, and I absolutely agree that an artist's wishes come first... But disregarding advice that comes from the opposite "side" completely like it's all BS is a sign of narcissism. That's why as much as I've been on Axl's "side" during his feud with everyone Slash, there are plenty of arguments that the fans of the original lineup, Slash, Duff, Izzy etc. said that made total sense and you'd have to be an idiot to blindly reject them. Same thing with AC/DC, though missing a lot of the drama. Fans become fans because they love the music and the band - from the voice and the guitar to the faces of the musicians. Continuing the tour is very rock n' roll, it's a "shit happens, but we'll power through this one" attitude and it's great, however, going on for another 10 years without more than half of the original members like Angus wants is just stupid. Malcolm was their primary songwriter, Brian's (and formerly Bon's) appearance, these things are a huge part of the band's integrity. It's never a one man show with a band, otherwise it becomes a pseudo solo project.

It looks like we're not looking at the same forums/news/social media if you think there's no backlash from AC/DC fans. Yeah, Axl managed to sway their opinion that he can nail the songs and the fans mostly shut up, but a new album for AC/DC with him on lead vocals is gonna be kind of like a stab in the back for both their fans, and GNR's. We all enjoy the Axl/DC shows and it's a great favor that he's doing for AC/DC, but him becoming a full-time member or releasing albums with them is going overboard - the man takes decades between albums for his own band and now that he's in another one, he's all creative and having fun? If he really doesn't wanna make songs for Guns, then why keep the name and tour for so many years? And Angus (apparently) doesn't care too much for Brian's legacy and will basically pick a singer (albeit a damn amazing one) and continue to play? If he does want to do that, then a new name would be appropriate for the band - again, like NuGuns, and the reason why a whole lot of people were pissed at Axl - it's not the real GNR without the real members.

Actually, from a psychoanalytical definition, narcissism is "self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects."

The external objects here would be AC/DC and Axl Rose. Their band. Their business. You and I are each but one of millions and millions of their fans. 

For broader context, your theory of fan backlash as though it's anything but a vocal extreme minority. Okay, a few people aren't happy. And? It seems to me these shows are going on just fine with no dip in attendance. The refunds were re-sold. The reviews are glowing. The crowds are happy. Them "completely disregarding" their fans would be if they went to play a show in a soccer stadium and 100 people showed up. That would be the fans collectively saying "Don't do this" and them not listening. But unfortunately for you (I guess), that isn't happening. They're disregarding you and people like you - the extreme minority. The extreme minority opinion is by definition insignificant.

Along with the definition of narcissism I'd suggest you look up the definition of "entitlement" as well. In the meantime if you don't like the idea of them touring beyond this, don't go. If you don't like the idea of them doing an album and they make one "completely disregarding" your take on the matter, then don't buy it. 

Pretty simple stuff, really.

• Like 1