TOUCH TOO MUCH - Why is it Axl's favorite?

killuridols

17 hours ago, James Bond said:

The chorus riff is quite literally the same as the Sweet Child outro!

Yeah, now that you mention it. It also reminds me a bit of It Tastes Good, Don't it. An awesome 70-ish mash-up of SCOM and ITGDI makes for an epic tune. ^_^

18 hours ago, nonok said:

Probably reminds him of his entire love life, not just those two. And it's a damn awesome song. Killer riff and pretty much eveything else. :headbang:

Always loved this one.  I'm thinking for Axl its about the touch he hasn't had yet!    Really surprised more don't keep this one in their playlist.... Just saying.

Just now, GNRGIRL007 said:

Always loved this one.  I'm thinking for Axl its about the touch he hasn't had yet!    Really surprised more don't keep this one in their playlist.... Just saying.

He has been wearing his "Touch ME" shirt a lot lol!   Just having fun with it...  !!!

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

I often wondered if the backing vocals were part of the reason they never did it live. This is one of those songs where Mutt Lange's voice is the most prominent one in the mix (along with Bon's doubling), so I'm not sure Malcolm and Cliff were up to the task. It's a bit more than grunting. :lol:

One thing I'll give this live version is Slade's drumming. Perfect. Angus did a mean solo too - close enough to the studio take but enough of his usual live improvisation. Actually most of it sounded pretty good save for the intro accenting (but Angus can't even do the accents in FTATR right half the time so I'll forgive him). Axl was okay. Not the worst clean I've heard from him but the raspier parts sounded much better.

wow, really? i had no idea that mutt sang on acdcs albums!

someone mentioned that this song has a "disco vibe"

i could add that this is one of the more "pop" songs in acdc catalog

now thinking about it all, the mutt thing...

i was wondering... maybe this is a mutt song? like a song he wrote and made the band play? or a song he wrote from an inicial acdc riff and he "doctored" so much that the guys in acdc never really fancied it?

so maybe thats why they dont play it live? 

maybe let me put my love into you baby is the same?

if you remove the loud guitars, those are perfect pop songs!

===

yeah, slade been drumming fine.

do you reckon axl can try to sing it like he means it (like he did on back in black) next time? 

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

wow, really? i had no idea that mutt sang on acdcs albums!

someone mentioned that this song has a "disco vibe"

i could add that this is one of the more "pop" songs in acdc catalog

now thinking about it all, the mutt thing...

i was wondering... maybe this is a mutt song? like a song he wrote and made the band play? or a song he wrote from an inicial acdc riff and he "doctored" so much that the guys in acdc never really fancied it?

so maybe thats why they dont play it live? 

maybe let me put my love into you baby is the same?

if you remove the loud guitars, those are perfect pop songs!

===

yeah, slade been drumming fine.

do you reckon axl can try to sing it like he means it (like he did on back in black) next time? 

A version of Touch Too Much was recorded as early as like 1976 or so (it appears on the Bonfire set), so it's definitely a Bon creation. The music and lyrics completely changed but it was a title/idea that was being tinkered with. Mutt's production gives it a pop feel but AC/DC isn't totally afraid of that approach to songwriting. Songs like Who Made Who and Anything Goes stick out in the AC/DC catalogue for the same reason. They're the few times where they stepped outside of the comfort zone so to speak. Even Thunderstruck - not that it's a pop song but the arrangement is definitely unlike the typical AC/DC structure.

Mutt was definitely heavily involved in the songwriting but also tried to not stray far from the AC/DC sound. I'm sure he helped knock Touch Too Much into shape but it's in no way a song that he presented to the band and made them do.

Mutt was a big sucker for nice backing harmonies (look no further than Def Leppard) so on the three AC/DC albums he produced he had  Bon and Brian sing much of the backing vocals as well as Mutt himself who has a decent voice. Lastly, Malcolm, Angus, and Cliff would be mixed in there as well to really fill it out. Prior to the Mutt albums, the studio backing vocals were only ever Angus and Malcolm (and later Cliff - apparently Mark Evans couldn't sing a note).

That's why those three albums in particular have quite outstanding backing vocals compared to most other AC/DC albums which strictly used the "gang vocal" technique. Malcolm never claimed to be a singer. :lol:

As for Axl, I think part of his "Mickey problem" on this song is he's trying to sing it too much like Bon. He should either rasp it (which might not fit) or sing the verses in his lower Shackler's voice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

A version of Touch Too Much was recorded as early as like 1976 or so (it appears on the Bonfire set), so it's definitely a Bon creation. The music and lyrics completely changed but it was a title/idea that was being tinkered with. Mutt's production gives it a pop feel but AC/DC isn't totally afraid of that approach to songwriting. Songs like Who Made Who and Anything Goes stick out in the AC/DC catalogue for the same reason. They're the few times where they stepped outside of the comfort zone so to speak. Even Thunderstruck - not that it's a pop song but the arrangement is definitely unlike the typical AC/DC structure.

Mutt was definitely heavily involved in the songwriting but also tried to not stray far from the AC/DC sound. I'm sure he helped knock Touch Too Much into shape but it's in no way a song that he presented to the band and made them do.

Mutt was a big sucker for nice backing harmonies (look no further than Def Leppard) so on the three AC/DC albums he produced he had  Bon and Brian sing much of the backing vocals as well as Mutt himself who has a decent voice. Lastly, Malcolm, Angus, and Cliff would be mixed in there as well to really fill it out. Prior to the Mutt albums, the studio backing vocals were only ever Angus and Malcolm (and later Cliff - apparently Mark Evans couldn't sing a note).

That's why those three albums in particular have quite outstanding backing vocals compared to most other AC/DC albums which strictly used the "gang vocal" technique. Malcolm never claimed to be a singer. :lol:

As for Axl, I think part of his "Mickey problem" on this song is he's trying to sing it too much like Bon. He should either rasp it (which might not fit) or sing the verses in his lower Shackler's voice.

hey, great info, thanks!

:headbang:

the more shows i see from axl the more it seems that you are right

he seems to be chosing how he sings each song

or maybe thats how angus told him to sing?

if he chooses to sing TTM with low voice or rasp i am sure it will be better

• Like 1

20 hours ago, killuridols said:

And this is official video for the song..

I was listening to this yesterday after I only got to hear half of Axl singing it. this is my second favorite AC/DC song ever. And Bon was such a great front man. funny how my first rock love is now having his songs performed by my current rock love :P 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

I was listening to this yesterday after I only got to hear half of Axl singing it. this is my second favorite AC/DC song ever. And Bon was such a great front man. funny how my first rock love is now having his songs performed by my current rock love :P 

haha. Now I'm all over Spotify with this song. I'm gonna download it too.

Axl sounded terrible, they need to raise the register and let him belt it out, it would be fucking amazing... his middle voice is weak but he is belting his high voice better than ever. Such a simple fix. It wouldn't hurt the song at all in fact probably sound better, think YSMANL vibe.... can Angus play anything other than e though... I joke a little but maybe not.

Edited by nightrain50

48 minutes ago, The Archer said:

"...she had the face of an Angel smiling with sin, the body of Venus, with arms"

Bon, you genius, you.

For those who don't know, this statue of the Venus de Milo, is what the second part of that line refers to -

Aphrodite_of_Milos.jpg

Would have to be a school drop-out to not know that :wacko:

• Like 1

This song rocks! I think Touch Too Much is my favorite also. I love the guitar riff and Bon's singing. Also the song is on a Mutt Lange produced album, and he certaintly brought out the best in AC/DC on Highway to Hell, just makes it even more sad it would be Bon's last.   I would encourage everyone to check out some of the deeper AC/DC tracks and the Bon Scott stuff if you haven't already.  Nothing against Brian but Bon was always AC/DC for me.  Not any fault of their own but so much of Back and Black became overplayed on the radio, and a lot of their more modern songs especially follow formula.  Imagine an AC/DC drinking game where you got to take a drink every time they said Rock N Roll or Hell LOL you would get smashed for sure.  Following Axl when I was young anytime he mentioned music he liked in interviews I would check it out and was NEVER disappointed.  Turned me on to so many AMAZING artists...Early AC/DC was one of those bands : )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nightrain50 said:

Axl sounded terrible, they need to raise the register and let him belt it out, it would be fucking amazing... his middle voice is weak but he is belting his high voice better than ever. Such a simple fix. It wouldn't hurt the song at all in fact probably sound better, think YSMANL vibe.... can Angus play anything other than e though... I joke a little but maybe not.

My running joke is that they should rename the band AG/DG since that's the basis of every song.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Archer said:

"...she had the face of an Angel smiling with sin, the body of Venus, with arms"

Bon, you genius, you.

For those who don't know, this statue of the Venus de Milo, is what the second part of that line refers to -

Aphrodite_of_Milos.jpg

3 hours ago, metalms said:

.  Nothing against Brian but Bon was always AC/DC for me.  

yes! for me as well. after Bon died I listened to Back in Back because it was a tribute to Bon. but it was never the same for me and soon I stopped listening to post Bon AC/DC altogether. I made due with the albums w/Bon I have. and now Axl has reignited my love of Bon and I have been looking at live performances and interviews w/Bon that I have never seen before because there was no internet when Bon passed and I am loving it. thank you Axl! :wub:

• Like 2