What went wrong with NUGNR?

it was doomed from the start as i think Axl alienated the core base by bringing out a freakshow lineup

that image just wasn't GNR and ppl that may have been interested in a odd ball band like that probably wouldn't take them seriously  

it certainly didn't help that Chinese became something of a myth....he should have pushed it out way earlier

• Like 2

I think replacing an icon like Slash with a dude wearing a KFC bucket for a hat completely underwhelmed even the lowest of expectations. Plus everyone blamed Axl for the split so he automatically had an uphill battle trying to get any support from fans. He changed his look dramatically, changed the sound dramatically, he basically removed any shred of what once was and what people loved about GN'R. I personally loved Chinese Democracy and thought Axl delivered some fantastic performances over those years and I actually went to see them in 2012. But none of that even slightly compares to what they were before and what they are again now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CardinalGunner said:

The lineup with Buckethead and Finck, hugely talented and so much potential that unfortunately did not get to reach full potential.

its too much talent to handle

i am sure they are too busy handling their huge talents and considering what to do with their huge potential

thats why they dont write good songs

:rofl-lol:

• Like 1

It was doomed from the start.  Axl and Slash were two of my childhood idols. When Slash left GNR, I was disappointed but still a fan of Axl. When the NU GNR came about and I saw  video of them, I was thinking WTF did Axl do to the band that I grew up with and admired. The MTV performance confirmed that this was not GNR. Buckethead and Robin Fink just  looked ridiculous for GNR. You had this stupid looking guy with a mask and a KFC bucket on his head. You had another guy who was goth and looked like an alien. Neither one of them belonged in GNR. It showed why they were session players and not meant to be in a prominent band like GNR. 

I did like the combination of Fortus, Ashba, and Bumblefoot. To me, they brought a bit of old school GNR with a modern twist.  Towards the end of that, though, I thought Bumblefoot complained too much. I think Ashba is doing too much mentioning of GNR now that he's no longer in the band. 

From the Nu-GNR, I would say half of the songs that were released were good while the other half were awful!  None were great, though.  The songs missed Slash and Duff. No question. 

• Like 1

heres what went wrong: it was called Guns N Roses with only one member from Guns N Roses in the band. It was doomed from the start. Too many legal issues with the name, too big of expectations. Its a shame, there were very talented musicians with Axl, they should have just came up with a different band name.

• Like 3

NuGNR's first lead guitarist was a tall freak wearing a bucket on his head. 

Lack of new material.

Finck. 

Fortus playing the Nightrain solo when Izzy was guesting. 

"We'll be back next year with a whole bunch of new songs!" 

I loveNuGNR, but I could go on for hours.

Pitman 

The problem is that when you have a delay that is so long, with so many rumours swirling around, no matter what music the band puts out it is almost guaranteed to fail to live up to the hype. Add in the fact that Axl alienated a lot of people by effectively pretending that Slash, Izzy and Steve/Matt didn't exist and that the new line up wasn't just Guns N' Roses in name but actually Guns N' Roses, and virtually nothing that the band did, said or released was going to be a smash.

25 minutes ago, lightBLASTER said:

Buckethead leaving. He was essentially their entire new identity. With him, there was an argument to be made that it wasn't just an Axl solo band.

I completely disagree with this. People would have been only interested in seeing Axl and not Buckethead. He's a good guitarist, but not great. There's a reason why he has  a ton of albums, but not a memorable song. His mask and KFC bucket really diminishes him. 

20 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I completely disagree with this. People would have been only interested in seeing Axl and not Buckethead. He's a good guitarist, but not great. There's a reason why he has  a ton of albums, but not a memorable song. His mask and KFC bucket really diminishes him. 

Buckethead is very much a great guitarist; a virtuoso and one of the best in the world. However, his image in not really in line with what old time fans of the band were looking for, and that weighed against him, no matter how phenomenal his playing.

26 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

The problem is that when you have a delay that is so long, with so many rumours swirling around, no matter what music the band puts out it is almost guaranteed to fail to live up to the hype. Add in the fact that Axl alienated a lot of people by effectively pretending that Slash, Izzy and Steve/Matt didn't exist and that the new line up wasn't just Guns N' Roses in name but actually Guns N' Roses, and virtually nothing that the band did, said or released was going to be a smash.

Ha! Your profile pic is purple Acki, are you from Merseyside as well?