Should the first 500k copies of GNR's next album be vinyl only?

wasted

For a start these 500k album sales in 2018 would send the record straight to No. 1 in the US. 

Also, it would kick start a huge vinyl revival in rock and show young guys how it's down. 

And last but not least, all GNR album track listings seem to be tailored to vinyl, so each side has a single and epics. 

What you think?

Well, it would make them a lot more money, that's for sure. People are paying through their nose for vinyl records. Me? I'll buy the CD. I have very sensitive ears (I can hear dog whistles, no joke) and as such, I can't stand how, while playing an LP, the last song/s on the sides are quieter and lower fidelity (it's a thing, look it up). 

Plus, no matter how well you take care of them, LPs wear down every single time you play them. If I'm going to spend real money on music, I want it to sound as great 20 years later as it did day one. 

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nintari said:

Well, it would make them a lot more money, that's for sure. People are paying through their nose for vinyl records. Me? I'll buy the CD. I have very sensitive ears (I can hear dog whistles, no joke) and as such, I can't stand how, while playing an LP, the last song/s on the sides are quieter and lower fidelity (it's a thing, look it up). 

Plus, no matter how well you take care of them, LPs wear down every single time you play them. If I'm going to spend real money on music, I want it to sound as great 20 years later as it did day one. 

Yes, they could charge 20-30 dollars. The band is in position of great power, with great power...

They could also sell custom GNR record players to play the vinyl on. They have pinball machines but no record player?

13 minutes ago, default_ said:

I think a cassette release would be the bomb. 

Singles released on tapes. With GNR ghetto blasters sold seperately. 

• Like 1

Axl should play with modern toys. He broke myspace's record with chinese, do something with spotify and itunes or maybe something else by 2018, just put the fact that gnr has great numbers in term of streams and it could work very well. Still impossible to reach platinum or get fifteen bucks out of that it's just numbers right just be good with Jimmy Iovine and he will give you a viable rock streaming platform. fuck bono

Edited by Silent Jay

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Wait. Are there plans for a new album? what did I miss?

You must have missed school the day they handed out crystal balls. 

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Axl should play with modern toys. He broke myspace's record with chinese, do something with spotify and itunes or maybe something else by 2018, just put the fact that gnr has great numbers in term of streams and it could work very well. Still impossible to reach platinum or get fifteen bucks out of that it's just numbers right just be good with Jimmy Iovine and he will give you a viable rock streaming platform. fuck bono

We already tried the art album with corporate sponsorship. Let's try the nostalgia reunion record everyone wants that is virtually impossible to hear?

Edited by wasted
Blessed be the typo

On 24 May 2016 at 9:31 AM, KiernanProud said:

iTunes and streaming is the way to go 

That's a great way to dump the vault out. 

But not sure it's a great way to present an album. Mp3s are too easy to cherry pick and the whole thing gets stripped for parts. 

Might as well just release a digital single to fuel the tour. It has the same impact.

Mp3 albums just disapear into the itunes vortex. 

To get full attention on a 14-16 track work of art is much harder. Only 1 single will really get attention. 

But itunes or streaming seems like a great way to put out a multimedia package of songs, videos, interviews etc. giving fans all of of easily and flexible content for their digital devices. They want to be sold to and interact with the band through digital media. 

But an album is more an altar you worship at. Being able to pick one song and discard it without a second listen because it was free is counter productive. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

That's a great way to dump the vault out. 

But not sure it's a great way to present an album. Mp3s are too easy to cherry pick and the whole thing gets stripped for parts. 

Might as well just release a digital single to fuel the tour. It has the same impact.

Mp3 albums just disapear into the itunes vortex. 

To get full attention on a 14-16 track work of art is much harder. Only 1 single will really get attention. 

But itunes or streaming seems like a great way to put out a multimedia package of songs, videos, interviews etc. giving fans all of of easily and flexible content for their digital devices. They want to be sold to and interact with the band through digital media. 

But an album is more an altar you worship at. Being able to pick one song and discard it without a second listen because it was free is counter productive. 

I definitely get what you're saying, and I'll buy a new record on every format. But a lot of people now don't have time for full albums. The cherry picking of songs is more of a time concern than an appreciation thing. So release it on every format but spend most of the time promoting a single song and the album on iTunes and Spotify. 

33 minutes ago, KiernanProud said:

I definitely get what you're saying, and I'll buy a new record on every format. But a lot of people now don't have time for full albums. The cherry picking of songs is more of a time concern than an appreciation thing. So release it on every format but spend most of the time promoting a single song and the album on iTunes and Spotify. 

That's what will probably happen. But just think you need something on release to really shift units. A pre release single kills the album dead. There's a one week window. To release the album, single and video. People will want that reunion experience but only once. Even if you throw everything you got still 200k sales? 

So then you flip around to doing nothing. Just put out the music and get out on tour. The best they could do is release while on tour. Then the tour and release build buzz off each other. CD was dropped into a dark hole. It was cool they came out swinging but there's got to be a more fun way. 

• 2 weeks later...