This is way beyond rasp. This is "singing like he means it". How do you describe this BACK IN BLACK?

ludurigan

On 5/26/2016 at 2:16 PM, killuridols said:

This ^

I hope Axl has realized by now that the best he sounds is in hard rock songs like AC/DC's ones and all of them that have that 70's style of singing rock. He grew up learning that style from Janis, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Bon Scott.. I'm sorry but pop or industrial Axl has to go. I mean, Chin Dem is amazing but he won't be able to sing those songs live anymore. They are good for studio but Axl belongs up there with the rock gods.

Again, someone, someone out there, please, please record the voice of this man while he's singing like this. I'm scared we won't hear it anymore and it'd be crazy to lose this chance. Please, Axl, record something, anything, right now, this is the moment!

you are right

someone should have gotten gnr to rehearse and record every great rock song on the planet (from carol to back in black) during 1987-1991

yes, someone needs to record a SDB of axl/dc and acdc should release at least a live ep from this tour with rock or bust, back in black and thunderstruck on it

• Like 1

Scream, yell, rasp or whatever you want to call it Axl sounds fucking incredible on this take. He's more like Brian was, than Brian has been in a long time. Hell, he's better than Brian Johnson's original recordings on these versions. You guys gotta get a grip here. Axl Rose is kickin major ass and there is no reason to believe he wont be kickin the same major ass on the upcoming GNR tour. His standing in the rock world has skyrocketed with his temp assignment performances with AC/DC. The guy is blowing everyone away and cementing his standing as one of rocks greatest front men. 

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

you are right

someone should have gotten gnr to rehearse and record every great rock song on the planet (from carol to back in black) during 1987-1991

yes, someone needs to record a SDB of axl/dc and acdc should release at least a live ep from this tour with rock or bust, back in black and thunderstruck on it

Axl always sung 'a whole lot a rosie' better than anyone. He sang it on stage during his early 20s - it's on YouTube.  

2 hours ago, Canuckle said:

Scream, yell, rasp or whatever you want to call it Axl sounds fucking incredible on this take. He's more like Brian was, than Brian has been in a long time. Hell, he's better than Brian Johnson's original recordings on these versions. You guys gotta get a grip here. Axl Rose is kickin major ass and there is no reason to believe he wont be kickin the same major ass on the upcoming GNR tour. His standing in the rock world has skyrocketed with his temp assignment performances with AC/DC. The guy is blowing everyone away and cementing his standing as one of rocks greatest front men. 

Axl's voice is way better than Brian and Bon's. He's got an inmense range and he gives all AC/DC songs an extra tone because he's got so much voice inside he can't help it. The other guys are good singers but their voices have a limit. Axl's not only rasp, Brian is a long rasp all the way. Axl can use rasp and also clean voice and sustain the note higher and longer than the other guys.

I know AC/DC fans will hate this but Axl is much more than what AC/DC could have ever dreamed of.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Axl's voice is way better than Brian and Bon's. He's got an inmense range and he gives all AC/DC songs an extra tone because he's got so much voice inside he can't help it. The other guys are good singers but their voices have a limit. Axl's not only rasp, Brian is a long rasp all the way. Axl can use rasp and also clean voice and sustain the note higher and longer than the other guys.

I know AC/DC fans will hate this but Axl is much more than what AC/DC could have ever dreamed of.

100% truth 

10 hours ago, Kyles said:

Axl always sung 'a whole lot a rosie' better than anyone. He sang it on stage during his early 20s - it's on YouTube.  

yeah, thanks, i got that one. gnr playing rosie in 1987 is like 18 times better than acdc!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

only time I've seen Axl raise his vocals for a gnr song like he does on a handful of ACDC ones and he only did it here for 20 seconds

@30 seconds 

Wow good find.....yeah I agree 

not to be a party "pooper"?:smiley-confused2:, and i am really enjoying axl on most of the songs, but, back in black and hells bells remain in brians court if you ask me.  i just dont like the way axl throws his voice on hells bells before the chorus everytime, as well as the way he jut shouts BnB.  he cant hit the note (niether can brian anymore) but the album requires things, and he is not able to do it.

looking forward to another sin city.

1 hour ago, nelsontod said:

not to be a party "pooper"?:smiley-confused2:, and i am really enjoying axl on most of the songs, but, back in black and hells bells remain in brians court if you ask me.  i just dont like the way axl throws his voice on hells bells before the chorus everytime, as well as the way he jut shouts BnB.  he cant hit the note (niether can brian anymore) but the album requires things, and he is not able to do it.

"The note' ? Which one?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nelsontod said:

There's not a singer in the world who can hit the notes with the tone and power Axl is hitting them at. He's singing on an octave plane that's the same as the album. It would be easy to hide Axl's voice in this song with the instrument mix but unlike Brian they choose to let Axl's vocals shine...Back in Black isn't a swan song it's a statement and if you want to call it screaming then go for it, but he's screaming in tune, with great tone, and incredible control. A professional singer would tell you how difficult this is to achieve. Look at parts of the song where he's just singing "baaaahhhhhaaccck baahhhhaacck" you can hear his voice transitioning the notes seamlessly and when you're moving a step up or down vocally that is very difficult to do, Axl transitions the note while stacking them nicely one after the other with out taking a breath. It's quite good. 

as far as Hells Bells goes....it's never sounded better live so I don't get the issue. 

I don't think your post was trying to be hateful or anything youre just expressing how you hear it so I hope my post doesn't come across as an attack on your opinion, I'd just like for you and others who say he just screams to maybe appreciate the technique it takes to pull songs off like these. 

• Like 4

Agree, his tone and control is out of this world. The last show in Århus was incredible, he sounded much more controlled and not as "screamy" as prev shows. His 90s nasal/head voice is coming back and it sounds amazing! At the start of the tour it sounded as if he pushed him self to hard, but not anymore..

I'm gonna get you, Satan get you -  ?

BnB - I think he actually may be singing it wrong.  I think "hit the sack" in the beginning needs to drop down a half step.  that is how brian sings it on the album.  When you dont drop down on the second line of that verse, it comes across as shouting.

I love all the other songs though. 

Edited by nelsontod

3 hours ago, nelsontod said:

I'm gonna get you, Satan get you -  ?

BnB - I think he actually may be singing it wrong.  I think "hit the sack" in the beginning needs to drop down a half step.  that is how brian sings it on the album.  When you dont drop down on the second line of that verse, it comes across as shouting.

I love all the other songs though. 

I love the Satan get you part of Hells Bells, it's like the "I'm gonna get you" he's saying it with menace then when he sings "Satan Get You" part it's like he's getting closer and at this point you're screwed. 

I guess Axl just brings some emotion into a song that deserves it