25 Years Ago Today: The Use Your Illusion Tour Kicked Off!

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I wish they would release the pro shots they have of these shows. I'd buy them. 

So many of us would. I really hope someone sees the value in this eventually. 

• Like 1

Good times for sure .4 sold out nights at the LA forum with Skid Row and a stadium tour playing both the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl .Attended 4 of those shows they were all special ,seemed like they would be on top of the rock and roll world for a long time.Then it all imploded 

7 hours ago, gt72 said:

Good times for sure .4 sold out nights at the LA forum with Skid Row and a stadium tour playing both the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl .Attended 4 of those shows they were all special ,seemed like they would be on top of the rock and roll world for a long time.Then it all imploded 

Can anyone tell me throughout what tour legs has Skid Row opened for?

12 hours ago, janrichmond said:

He quit after the Wembley show,I was there?

Not to nitpick, but Izzy announced internally he was out after the Mannheim show on August 24th, he played one more show in Wembley on the 31st, and left officially in November (7th ?) 1991.

I'm gonna go all out and say that I would trade in the entire 2016 Stadium Tour for a UYI tour boxset containing multiple SBD/Pro Shot '91 shows !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scooby845 said:

the greatest tour known to man in rock history... the recklessness was just immense... it cannot be repeated...

And they played tons of new songs every show and nobody complained about it. 

What an amazing time to be a fan. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, metalms said:

So many memories.. I was 16 and got to see GNR twice during the Use Your Illusion Tour.  The first was at Hershey Park Stadium in June 91 with Skid Row opening up.  It was really hot and the whole ride there through rural PA was agony with the heat and smell of cow poo!  I was sooo excited to see my favorite band that I didn't care.. We had nosebleeds and that was fine with me.  The second time was on December 16, 1991 with Soundgarden opening up in Philadelphia. I was lucky enough to win a radio contest a local station WMMR was promoting, and for me it was literally a dream come true. Pit tickets, backstage passes, a tour jacket.  The radio station and A&R people had a huge hoagie spread backstage and I remember I just kept nervous eating the whole time.  I also lied and gave my sisters name in fear that I may have been too young to win.  So they kept calling me by my older sister's name the whole time!!!  Slash and Duff were there and so was Dizzy Reed.  I was very nervous.  They all stopped by each table to say hi. I remember thinking how tall Duff was, and how handsome Slash was in person. I was feeling very star struck at the time.  Much different than I could see myself being today wanting to talk music as a fan and well feeling more like an old friend and not a goofy teen.  Guess that is what happens with maturity!... Dizzy Reed shook all our hands (while keeping an ice cold beer in the other hand) and signed my jacket.  He calmed my nerves and actually hung with us just about the whole time! He was very down to earth and I remember thinking this is the world's most dangerous band.?  The show was amazing and the energy level was high.  Axl's vocals were amazing. Of course these days there would be selfies and videos, but back then cell phones/cameras like that didn't exist, and I was just happy to meet them/and see a great show.  A different world for sure.  Many years later my mom accidently washed the jacket (our relationship has never been the same LOL) but I will always have the great memories of those shows and the backstage pass.  Hard to believe it was 25 years ago...

pass.jpg

But wasn't it amazing to just experience and enjoy the moment - rather than trying to capture everything on a phone camera so you cost Facebook it!

Sounds like you had a blast. Awesome memory. 

13 hours ago, KiernanProud said:

Man now would really be a great time for that "holy grail" documentary, complete with a 25 years later backstage documentary with this band. 

Maybe throw in a new album as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Apollo said:

But wasn't it amazing to just experience and enjoy the moment - rather than trying to capture everything on a phone camera so you cost Facebook it!

Sounds like you had a blast. Awesome memory. 

Maybe throw in a new album as well. 

You are right it was great just enjoying the moment...I think we miss out these days in the age of internet/social media.  Good and bad comes with that. Seeing all the phones raised, instead of lighters these days.  Not being able to rock out because you are trying to record every song to watch it later while you refuse to enjoy THE MOMENT.  I will never forget that time... 25 years ago but burned into my memory forever!