Bumblefoot Interview: I Can Be A 'Hired Gun' In Small Doses

Funky.Monkey

Bumblefoot: His total self

Published: May 19, 2016

How has your musical journey been?  

My first concert was actually around the age of seven! I have been doing this my whole life. The connection to music that each of us has is always there, it never begins or ends. It’s what we do with it, how we try to share it with others, no two people walk the same path. There’s lots of good and bad, mild and intense… maybe I’ll share some ‘war stories’ during the workshop.

Your experience with Guns N’ Roses (GNR) and post-GNR  

I was GNR’s lead guitarist starting in 2006, our last shows together were in 2014, and since then I released my latest Bumblefoot album Little Brother Is Watching and the debut Art Of Anarchy album featuring Scott Weiland on vocals. I’m continuing to produce artistes, make music for TV and film, lots of teaching and workshops, Bumblefoot touring and with other bands, and am finishing the next Art Of Anarchy album — we just announced our new singer, Scott Stapp (from the band Creed).

Solo artiste Vs Band  

Each has something the other doesn’t, good and bad. As a solo artiste, I can express 100 per cent of myself in performing and arranging, lyrics and singing, producing and everything. As a part of a band, we share the tasks and responsibilities. I can be a ‘hired gun’ in small doses, but I need to be in creative environments first and foremost.

Your plan after the concert  

Hopefully to return, as soon as you’ll have me. But until then, I have shows and workshops in Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Canada, will be back in the studio with Art Of Anarchy, then Corfu Rock School where we all spend a week together on the beautiful Greek island of Corfu doing workshops, working on songs, and playing shows together at local venues — a very good time!

Continue here: https://thehimalayantimes.com/entertainment/music/bumblefoot-total-self/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Funky.Monkey said:

Bumblefoot: His total self

Published: May 19, 2016

How has your musical journey been?  

My first concert was actually around the age of seven! I have been doing this my whole life. The connection to music that each of us has is always there, it never begins or ends. It’s what we do with it, how we try to share it with others, no two people walk the same path. There’s lots of good and bad, mild and intense… maybe I’ll share some ‘war stories’ during the workshop.

Your experience with Guns N’ Roses (GNR) and post-GNR  

I was GNR’s lead guitarist starting in 2006, our last shows together were in 2014, and since then I released my latest Bumblefoot album Little Brother Is Watching and the debut Art Of Anarchy album featuring Scott Weiland on vocals. I’m continuing to produce artistes, make music for TV and film, lots of teaching and workshops, Bumblefoot touring and with other bands, and am finishing the next Art Of Anarchy album — we just announced our new singer, Scott Stapp (from the band Creed).

Solo artiste Vs Band  

Each has something the other doesn’t, good and bad. As a solo artiste, I can express 100 per cent of myself in performing and arranging, lyrics and singing, producing and everything. As a part of a band, we share the tasks and responsibilities. I can be a ‘hired gun’ in small doses, but I need to be in creative environments first and foremost.

Your plan after the concert  

Hopefully to return, as soon as you’ll have me. But until then, I have shows and workshops in Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Canada, will be back in the studio with Art Of Anarchy, then Corfu Rock School where we all spend a week together on the beautiful Greek island of Corfu doing workshops, working on songs, and playing shows together at local venues — a very good time!

Continue here: https://thehimalayantimes.com/entertainment/music/bumblefoot-total-self/

this guy cant write a decent song to save his life 

besides, his playing is boring

i have no idea how axl was stupid enough to hire this guy for his solo band

its unbelievable, like so many other things in axl/gnr world

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

this guy cant write a decent song to save his life 

besides, his playing is boring

i have no idea how axl was stupid enough to hire this guy for his solo band

its unbelievable, like so many other things in axl/gnr world

Bullshit.

Ron's done some great solo stuff, and Art of Anarchy's album trumps Chinese Democracy any day of the week.

I wouldn't say AoA's debut is better than ChiDem, but that's just my opinion. It does have some good songs on it, but also some not-so-good.

But yeah, Bumblefoot is talented, you can't deny that. And he doesn't see releasing new music as a burden, which is cool and kind of a rare attitude these days.

4 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

The first album was a dreadful experience. Very bad artwork and the sound was mediocre. Plus the fact the materials were already written before bumblefoot.

Not true. At least two of the songs (Aqualung and Death Of It) were solely Bumblefoot compositions.

57 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

show me one good song that this ron dude has written 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZvllbJBnU

4 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

Hey, the dude asked you for one GOOD song.

That was terribad.

This covers just some of the whack that is Bumble. There is talent there, and humor and it's not supposed to sound correct I think. Reminds me of Frank Zappa's approach in that it's out there and Zappa worked with Vai so I kinda see the connection.

"I see your face in every drop of golden urine" is my favorite Bumble penned line.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I don't think the 'hired gun' comment is directed to Guns as such, or in relation to his time with them. Easy to see why it can be interpreted as that by most, but I think he means session musician in general as apposed to his time in Guns. 'Hired gun' is a pretty common term, personally don't think it was him having a dig at all.

"I can be a ‘hired gun’ in small doses, but I need to be in creative environments first and foremos"

I see it as a sign that he would come back to GN'R as long as he can serve as a co-songwriter at some of the songs. But I don't know if that would make sense. I'm ok with Richard and Frank (because Izzy and Steven/Matt/Bryan are not involved) but that would go a little bit to far.