Recording At Home

Hi guys. I'm looking at doing some recording  of my own music at home. Not for commercial purposes, just for fun. 

I'm interested in what some of you guys are using in regards to software. I've done a bit of a search and most programs seem to have a lot of pros and a lot of cons, and it's hard to work out what is best for beginners. 

Can anyone suggests something easy to use and cheap (or free), that is something to start playing around with. I don't want to spend a heap of money at this stage, being as this is just a hobby. Maybe down the track I could upgrade to a more expensive and sophisticated program, but right now, I just wanna keep it simple.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.? 

If you're only really a beginner, I'd recommend Audacity. It's free, very simple and effective, and allows pretty much every VST plugin to be implemented into it to get that more professional sound.

I still use audacity quite a bit, along with Reaper and Reason for drums and synth. I also have a Focusrite interface that allows me to connect my electric, with 2 condenser mics for recording my acoustic and a vocal mic, so that's pretty much everything needed for basic recording.

Although you can just plug your guitar and pedal directly into your laptop via the input jack.

Hope that helps!

I think Garage Band is free if you're an Apple user, and it doesn't hurt to ask someone who plays music if they have a copy of music software, or finding a cheap computer and they kept all the software... 

Edited by dalsh327

Get yourself any Audio Interface and it usually comes with a free DAW software (even if it's a limited features version) which is all you need for pro multi-track recording.

Mine came with Cubase and I love it.

I have a blue Snowball and it is awesome. It has 3 different settings, normal, 10 dB cut, and some setting that is bidirectional or something. I use it with Audition (formerly Cool Edit Pro) and it works great. Any of the recordings I've done for the forum covers or for evader have been done on that.

On 26/05/2016 at 3:55 PM, Klay said:

Get yourself any Audio Interface and it usually comes with a free DAW software (even if it's a limited features version) which is all you need for pro multi-track recording.

Mine came with Cubase and I love it.

+1 for an audio interface, it coverts your analogue signal to digital and means that you will get better results than other forms of A/D conversion (usb mics, 1/4 to usb cables etc). I have a Focusrite 2i4, which works for me and is well regarded within it's price range. You could use other methods of recording, but to get reasonable results, you will need an interface at some point.

You can use them to direct record and then use amp sims on the recorded track, or hook up a mic if you have one and record your amp. I would say they are essential really.

You can get pretty good results with a home set up, here is one of my tracks, recorded with two budget mics (SM57 and an MXL 990), a cheap Blackstar valve amp and BFD3 running in Sonar X3:

Probably a bit more than you would want to spend starting out, but a shoestring budget in the big scheme of things!