House of Blues 2000 - Best KOHD by Nu Guns?

Frankly, I think it sounds amazing:

Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Guns N' Roses- Live At House Of Blues (Las Vegas) 2000~2001

I think this is the best version of KOHD that nu-guns did. The subdued style works better for older Axl and needless to say, Bucket's solo is beautiful. The solo he does in the '02 tours for KOHD are slightly tweaked from this version (and not quite as good).

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

Yeah totally know what you mean about the subdued style and everything. Even the actual music sounds less 'mechanic' compared with alot of the later NuGuns stuff, and more like humans actually playing instruments. Also, in terms of solos ya can't get much better than Buckethead's really soulful kinda work

Really enjoying this, thanks for pointing this out! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cremefraiche said:

Yeah totally know what you mean about the subdued style and everything. Even the actual music sounds less 'mechanic' compared with alot of the later NuGuns stuff, and more like humans actually playing instruments. Also, in terms of solos ya can't get much better than Buckethead's really soulful kinda work

Yes you can, there's a guy you should listen to. He's called Slash.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Guns N' Roses- Live At House Of Blues (Las Vegas) 2000~2001

I think this is the best version of KOHD that nu-guns did. The subdued style works better for older Axl and needless to say, Bucket's solo is beautiful. The solo he does in the '02 tours for KOHD are slightly tweaked from this version (and not quite as good).

Yeah, more like a "dreamy" version of the song, not as powerful as 1988 version. 2000 is cool but that is a matter of taste;)

• Like 1

On 5/26/2016 at 2:48 PM, parisrocks said:

There's a note Axl hits during KOHD in Chicago '02 that gives it the edge for me, but I'm w/ you.  This version was more emotional/more respectable to me.

Felt the same way -- emotional vocals. It's a bit unusual to hear Axl sing in this pitch/tone (his speaking voice). He sounds a bit tired/weary singing this which gives it a really cool vibe. This is the kind of performance I could see at an unplugged show or an awards show -- like you said, more respectable. There's no showy vocal performance, "gimme some reggae", or too many refrains -- he just teases a bit of rasp at the end. It's a really good stripped down vocal performance. I wish he would do more of these -- Don't Cry, November Rain, and This I Love would sound really interesting with a similar "raw" arrangement.

On 5/26/2016 at 10:13 PM, cremefraiche said:

Agreed -- they sound more stripped down and raw. That's the "sound" of the AFD era band and the skin n bones tour during UYI. I always felt the "raw" sound made the band sound more vital and real -- it fits guns better than the 7-10 man lineups where they just sound like some polished vegas act.

Edited by RONIN

On May 26, 2016 at 11:40 PM, RONIN said:

That one or RIR 3, its pretty much the same.  But that style is the best. The solo at RIR was better IMO

Edited by gnfnr2k

On May 26, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Requiem16 said:

Yeah, more like a "dreamy" version of the song, not as powerful as 1988 version. 2000 is cool but that is a matter of taste;)

the best classic version IMO is the one from London 87

• Like 1