Amber Heard divorces Johnny Depp

4 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

God is omnipotent and omniscient, so when he created the Garden of Eden he knew that Adam would partake of the apple and he knew that he would curse all of mankind with sin. Knowing that all humans, from that point on, would be sinners would in turn mean that he would know that we would all sin and that part of sin is the suffering. If people were lifted from the burdens that being sinners entails then there would be no suffering here on earth, but by allowing it God is directly responsible for the misery that is occurring.

Where does "Jesus dying for our sins" fit into this?

2 minutes ago, Amir said:

Where does "Jesus dying for our sins" fit into this?

Jesus dying for our sins is a morally bankrupt act of scapegoating. His sacrifice (though it truly isn't, given that he is God and therefore immortal) is to allow a direct pathway to redemption and God through him, but does nothing to relieve the burden of original sin; we are all cursed with sin, wickedness and debasement, Jesus or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

God is omnipotent and omniscient, so when he created the Garden of Eden he knew that Adam would partake of the apple and he knew that he would curse all of mankind with sin. Knowing that all humans, from that point on, would be sinners would in turn mean that he would know that we would all sin and that part of sin is the suffering. If people were lifted from the burdens that being sinners entails then there would be no suffering here on earth, but by allowing it God is directly responsible for the misery that is occurring. The counterpoint is that we have freewill, but our freewill leads us to temptation and sin because of God's plan.

This is a very thought provoking argument for those who take the bible literally; however I think one can believe in God without taking every fable in the bible as actual fact..so, if the Garden of Eden story did not happen as written, what then of this theory?

13 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

This is a very thought provoking argument for those who take the bible literally; however I think one can believe in God without taking every fable in the bible as actual fact..so, if the Garden of Eden story did not happen as written, what then of this theory?

Well, given that the creation story is, along with Jesus and his resurrection, the core of the entire Christian religion, it is hard to say. If a person didn't want to take the Bible literally though, and instead engage in personal exegesis, then effectively everything is up for debate because anything could be dismissed as a fable and therefore not a core tenet on which to apply or interpret belief.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

I have first hand experience of such mentalities unfortunately.

How did you experience that? Sorry if the question is too personal, nevermind it then :)

9 hours ago, Amir said:

I find it funny seeing people who are proud of being atheist and make fun of religious people for believing in God etc., but then when something bad happens to someone they don't like they go "KARMA!"

:facepalm:

I-believe-in-Karma.jpg

Edited by netcat

3 hours ago, netcat said:

How did you experience that? Sorry if the question is too personal, nevermind it then :)

I-believe-in-Karma.jpg

Things too various to mention, just a consequence of being from a very masculine culture, very patriarchal, members of my family, though not my old man thankfully (at least not to violent extremes), i'll give you two examples.

I'm 8 yrs old right, in Kashmir (lived there 18 to 24 months in spots, the longest period being a year when i was 8 yrs old) my Uncle arrives home, in a mood over something, my Aunt is like whats wrong, whats wrong, whats wrong, obviously concerned, he doesnt answer, she keeps asking, then all at once he picks up this kind of thick wooden instrument typically used for grinding garlic and herbs and just drops her with it, flat out and walks off.  Like really puts her right out, like one might do with a man they had an issue with.  Its not regular or anything but when it did happen it was sudden and swift, without warning and it happened in a great many instances, in this country as well as over there.  One of my mates over here from the West Indies, his Dad Alex used to beat his Mum quite a bit, saw her with her jaw wired shut.  She was always so lovely, couldnt understand aged 12 why anyone would hit her, she used to call me 'Trouble', her name was Winnie.  

Or another one, where this girl in Kashmir, all these ladies were sitting around talking about some girl who did something silly or got herself into some kinda trouble and one of the ladies said this saying they have over in Kashmir, always stuck with me, it translates something like 'a womans brains are in her heel', to denote that women are naturally stupid.  This was a group of middle aged women saying this.  Always stuck in my mind, that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len B'stard said:

Things too various to mention, just a consequence of being from a very masculine culture, very patriarchal, members of my family, though not my old man thankfully (at least not to violent extremes), i'll give you two examples.

I'm 8 yrs old right, in Kashmir (lived there 18 to 24 months in spots, the longest period being a year when i was 8 yrs old) my Uncle arrives home, in a mood over something, my Aunt is like whats wrong, whats wrong, whats wrong, obviously concerned, he doesnt answer, she keeps asking, then all at once he picks up this kind of thick wooden instrument typically used for grinding garlic and herbs and just drops her with it, flat out and walks off.  Like really puts her right out, like one might do with a man they had an issue with.  Its not regular or anything but when it did happen it was sudden and swift, without warning and it happened in a great many instances, in this country as well as over there.  One of my mates over here from the West Indies, his Dad Alex used to beat his Mum quite a bit, saw her with her jaw wired shut.  She was always so lovely, couldnt understand aged 12 why anyone would hit her, she used to call me 'Trouble', her name was Winnie.  

Or another one, where this girl in Kashmir, all these ladies were sitting around talking about some girl who did something silly or got herself into some kinda trouble and one of the ladies said this saying they have over in Kashmir, always stuck with me, it translates something like 'a womans brains are in her heel', to denote that women are naturally stupid.  This was a group of middle aged women saying this.  Always stuck in my mind, that.

yea this it's probably not the best childhood experience.... i had never witnessed domestic violence myself, didn't know it was such a huge problem untill i started to work with this project dedicated to family/relationship problems and now i see that a lot sadly. the most wide-spread sutuation, she is being attacked by her husband, she calls the police, they tke him, the next morning they release him, he comes back, promise to never again, she calls the accusation off, case is closed. untill the next time. and so on an on for years. when these women start to work with psychologists, they always say 'oh it's all my fault, i instigated my husband, i am a horrible wife and bad mother, i am fat, ugly and stupid and so on. hell, we even had this woman, she was 55 kg 168 sm high (121 / 55 that is), and her husband said she was so fat that he was disgusted to have sex with her. so he made her loose weight till she was 47 kg and at this point she was diagnosed with the initial stage of anorexia :(

Amber is accusing Johnny of physical abuse. She said he threw a phone at her eye.

I know his mom just passed away and one of the signs of grief is anger. Not saying it's right to hit or throw something any anyone, but maybe he's in a very bad place right now and she pushed his buttons.

I just hope it's not true. I know when Johnny was younger he and Kate Moss had one of those crazy relationships, but I would hope he's grown from it.

Who knows? I honestly didn't see them together and I'm not surprised with this divorce. I just hope the abuse is bullshit.

16 minutes ago, Amir said:

Complete hearsay and provides zero proof, and certainly nothing that would be brought into a court of law. What is interesting though is that battle lines are clearly being drawn and it seems most are choosing to hitch their wagon to the megastar rather than the B list actress. Take Paradis, for example; just because Depp was never abusive to her doesn't mean a jot as to whether he has been abusive to someone else.

• Like 1

On 26-5-2016 at 6:56 PM, netcat said:

also Arizona Dream, i watched it over and over again, Johnny was absolutely amazing in it. as well as Vincent Gallo and Lili Taylor 

What, did you get Arizona Dream? I got the dvd as a present and we watched it with friends years and years ago, and we were just looking at each other like: Huh? None of us got it. Do you have to get really drunk or high to get it or something?

On the abuse thing: I haven't read up on it, but it strikes me as odd that he'd beat Amber in this short span of time while we never heard anything about him being violent toward Vanessa (or Winona Ryder! Time flies). That's what would raise my suspicion. Then again, Amber is probably a real bitch while Vanessa is a classy lady. (Just kidding, not condoning abuse in any way.)

12 hours ago, PappyTron said:

@Len B'stard

Oh let the husband beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream
I am a victim in both mind and face, to be where I have been
To sit with elders of the not so gentle race, this world has seldom seen
They talk of abuse for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

You are my purple friend, don't let them abuse you again

If they try to hit you, then just touch their biceps again

Len is a bastard, if he tries to control you, then just put your BBC in him again

The world will love you again because you are my purple friend

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lio said:

What, did you get Arizona Dream? I got the dvd as a present and we watched it with friends years and years ago, and we were just looking at each other like: Huh? None of us got it. Do you have to get really drunk or high to get it or something?

ha i thought it was weird but pretty obvious love story. what exactly you didn't get, flying fish and eskimo? i figure it was a metaphor :) the film also had an amazing score, Iggy Pop singing songs by Bosnian composer Bregovic. and the director, Kusturica, has some other great films, but this one is still my favorite.   

There is something I don't understand. So the police came, no signs of abuse were seen, no report was filed. But then she does has pictures of a black eye the next day, cause he thrown a phone at her? I don't get it actually. Didn't the police took it seriously, cause you know, Depp?

He should have stayed with Paradis in the first place, great actress, instead of going for a younger woman. Karma is a bitch.

17 hours ago, Amir said:

17 hours ago, PappyTron said:

Complete hearsay and provides zero proof, and certainly nothing that would be brought into a court of law. What is interesting though is that battle lines are clearly being drawn and it seems most are choosing to hitch their wagon to the megastar rather than the B list actress. Take Paradis, for example; just because Depp was never abusive to her doesn't mean a jot as to whether he has been abusive to someone else.

On top of which, if he had been beating her and thought she was getting ready to bolt, what better way to trap her than to tell his friend that she was going to blackmail him with allegations of abuse? Dude isn't dumb, so even if every word Stanhope says is true, all it proves is that Johnny said it. Doesn't prove that it's true, and it would certainly fit the profile of an abuser trying to trap his victim. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Exactly. As you say, if Depp has been beating her, then the best way to cover his tracks is to tell his friends that she was planning on lying to set him up. I really, really don't keep up with celebrity gossip and don't much care for anything celebrity related, but famous people or not there are always two sides to every story and people who aren't Amber Heard or Johnny Depp have zero way of knowing whether she is telling the truth or not. If he has been beating her the way that she is claiming that he should be facing jail time, and if she is lying then she should be the one going to jail, because both scenarios are vile.

And at the end of the day, I just think she has so much more to lose than she has to gain if she's lying. It's possible, for sure, but there is so much mitigating in favor of her telling the truth that I'm more inclined to believe her until proven otherwise. Not legally, of course, but I'll be saving any $$ I'd otherwise have spent on his movies or music in the foreseeable future.

9 minutes ago, axlslash said:

And at the end of the day, I just think she has so much more to lose than she has to gain if she's lying. It's possible, for sure, but there is so much mitigating in favor of her telling the truth that I'm more inclined to believe her until proven otherwise. Not legally, of course, but I'll be saving any $$ I'd otherwise have spent on his movies or music in the foreseeable future.

I agree, she has so much more to lose. It's not as if this is an actor 'on her level', Johnny is a huge A-list actor (regardless of the recent underperformance of his films). She would know that accusing him could end her career and lead to mass amounts of hate aimed at her.

I think it says a lot that people are willing to believe that she made up a story of abuse, hit herself in the face, convince a neighbour to give a false statement (to obtain the restraining order) and open herself up to this level of doubt and disrespect... instead of being willing to believe that Johnny Depp isn't as nice as they thought he was.

Edited by toroymoi
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, axlslash said:

One of them is going to be in a huge amount of trouble, one way or the other. It would take a very particular type of person to make up such an elaborate story and she has no way of retracting it now, or backing away from her claims. I mean, she stated, as a matter of record, that he has been abusive for years and that she has him on tape beating her (I believe it is beating her, not just abusing her).

• Like 2

Why does this divorce make front page news every week? It baffles me.

The man is a total bore in interviews and can't even string a sentence together without mumbling or stumbling to find words. I can't remember the last time I saw a good film he was in.

I know he was a sex icon during the 80s/90s but is he still today? He looks like a fat Tony Stark who's going the Jack Nicholson route.

Biggest non-story of the year so far.

Edited by Bumblefeet