If you ever wondered what made Axl flip in the 1998 airport incident

I'm pretty sure it's this ugly thing (cos I remember reading it was some fragile glass/crytal thing and that it was a "present from a friend" and Axl was worried about the security people at the airport breaking it).

Anyway, I was digging through some old threads and came across this video. And actually listened to like half of it while making some food. Unsurprisingly, it's complete and utter bullshit and I can't believe Axl ever fell for these people.

The guy in the video is Elliot Maynard (Yoda's husband). A "techno shaman" as he calls himself, who creates "living sculptures" that have an "embedded consciousness of their own" with the inspiration he gets from other dimensions. :facepalm:

He gave Axl a smaller version of the one shown in the video. Axl apparently keeps it next to his bed. :facepalm:

16:30 - guy starts talking about his sculptures

19:10 - guy starts talking about Axl (he doesn't mention him by name, but it's pretty obvious he's talking about him)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frey said:

I'm pretty sure it's this ugly thing (cos I remember reading it was some fragile glass/crytal thing and that it was a "present from a friend" and Axl was worried about the security people at the airport breaking it).

Anyway, I was digging through some old threads and came across this video. And actually listened to like half of it while making some food. Unsurprisingly, it's complete and utter bullshit and I can't believe Axl ever fell for these people.

The guy in the video is Elliot Maynard (Yoda's husband). A "techno shaman" as he calls himself, who creates "living sculptures" that have an "embedded consciousness of their own" with the inspiration he gets from other dimensions. :facepalm:

He gave Axl a smaller version of the one shown in the video. Axl apparently keeps it next to his bed. :facepalm:

16:30 - guy starts talking about his sculptures

19:10 - guy starts talking about Axl (he doesn't mention him by name, but it's pretty obvious he's talking about him)

Oh Axl.....:facepalm:

This looks like something a 6 year old kid would make.....and even make up better story about it.....

48 minutes ago, nn18 said:

Oh Axl.....:facepalm:

This looks like something a 6 year old kid would make.....and even make up better story about it.....

What, you don't believe it's magical and sentinent and got special powers?! Shame on you! You just don't understand the spirituality of it all! :max:

Maybe you should buy one for a gazillion dollars and also put it on your bedside table, like Axl. Then you'd be convinced.

Edited by Frey

This is what I don't get about Axl. So many people (including Slash, Duff, etc) keep talking about how Axl is so intelligent, so smart, yadda yadda...

And yet he's apparently dumb enough to fall for these kinds of ridiculous frauds? What the hell  :facepalm:

• Like 1

Its a spiritual thing. Millions of people are "dumb" enough to fall for tons of religious spiels...

Its not about being dumb for Axl. Im sure these things are what he chose/chooses to put stock in.

Edited by Inglorious

I don't mind people being spiritual or having their own understanding of the world or whatever, but these people are just blatant rip-offs. These are the same people who took 70 000 dollars or something from Axl for an exorcism. I really despise frauds like that who prey on people who are dumb, vulnerable or desperate enough to fall for them.

(And yes, eating crackers and wine and pretending it's someone's body and blood is equally out there to me and I say that as someone who was raised Catholic.)

2 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

I don't mind people being spiritual or having their own understanding of the world or whatever, but these people are just blatant rip-offs. These are the same people who took 70 000 dollars or something from Axl for an exorcism. I really despise frauds like that who prey on people who are dumb, vulnerable or desperate enough to fall for them.

(And yes, eating crackers and wine and pretending it's someone's body and blood is equally out there to me and I say that as someone who was raised Catholic.)

I guess to each their own. Not everyone shares your opinion of it being a ripoff. That's pretty much the extent of this topic... There is never going to be a "true" answer that works for everyone. There is just a lot of unexplained things and we have a lot of different methods of understanding. Some more popular than others.

I know what you mean though about the fraudulent people that do stuff like this. I'm thinking fortune tellers, magic bean salesman, etc. I think it depends where you are coming at it from though and that's entirely up to the salesman and recipient. Like the placebo effect. If you take a sugar pill that you think is medicine and it makes you feel better.. well it still made you feel better. So what is real?

It seems a little presumptions to say Axl was scammed or these people are blatant rip offs when you've never met anyone involved. Imagine if I started telling you about your catholic upbringing and what was specifically wrong with the way you went about it. You'd be like "Dude, what the fuck! I don't know you." But celebrities are mythical so it bridges the gap on "What the fuck" and "Fun chatter". 

No, I've never met anyone involved, but a lot of people who were there back then (like Duff and many others) have and they seem to have felt the same way (Duff actually talked about this in his book iirc and called them 'predatory'). Considering this and everything else I've heard, I don't feel like giving these people the benefit of doubt.

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

This is what I don't get about Axl. So many people (including Slash, Duff, etc) keep talking about how Axl is so intelligent, so smart, yadda yadda...

And yet he's apparently dumb enough to fall for these kinds of ridiculous frauds? What the hell  :facepalm:

it's called new age snobism, that's all :lol: most of the celebrities falled for it at some point in their life

Remember Axl is a small tow boy, he doesn't really heard about this thing in his youth so he WAS an easy target for freak frauds:shrugs:

That being said, i don't think Axl would fall for it now

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Its symbolism. The "exorcism" probably was in a way as well.

37 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yes, I know. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous to me or less of a rip-off though.

Fair enough. I dont care for any of it either. Cant be any more of a rip off than is happening with some of the stadium shows with the 50% reduction in prices.

3 hours ago, Frey said:

What, you don't believe it's magical and sentinent and got special powers?! Shame on you! You just don't understand the spirituality of it all! :max:

Maybe you should buy one for a gazillion dollars and also put it on your bedside table, like Axl. Then you'd be convinced.

Unfortunately I don't have gazzilion dollars, so I'll have to live in the shadow my whole life :(

5 minutes ago, cooker said:

Axl was such a lost man.... 

This

It just breaks my heart that such a man was so lost during what should the best years of his life. He could've done so much, but instead he lost a whole decade seeking help at wrong places....when the only thing he needed were people who love him around

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

it's called new age snobism, that's all :lol: most of the celebrities falled for it at some point in their life

Remember Axl is a small tow boy, he doesn't really heard about this thing in his youth so he WAS an easy target for freak frauds:shrugs:

You've never been to a church service where people were speaking in tongues and rolling around in the ground because they had demons in them, and there was a lot of tax-free money to be made. Sam Kinison and Marjoe Gortner talked all about it years ago. 

There's new age resorts that cater to all levels of income. I tagged along with someone who sold minerals (free hotel and food for 4 days), and it was pure Amway stuff I'd heard before.  

2 hours ago, Lumikki said:

No, I've never met anyone involved, but a lot of people who were there back then (like Duff and many others) have and they seem to have felt the same way (Duff actually talked about this in his book iirc and called them 'predatory'). Considering this and everything else I've heard, I don't feel like giving these people the benefit of doubt.

that's it I am ordering the Duff book today. thanks! I was waffling on which to buy first, you just helped me decide :)

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

that's it I am ordering the Duff book today. thanks! I was waffling on which to buy first, you just helped me decide :)

Duff's first book is great. It's more about his life and his struggle with addiction though than about GnR and the guys in it. His second book is nice as well, but mostly stuff he's written already in his news paper columns.

Slash's has more stuff about GnR and the band members in it and is more of a typical Rock n Roll biography.

19 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

You've never been to a church service where people were speaking in tongues and rolling around in the ground because they had demons in them, and there was a lot of tax-free money to be made. Sam Kinison and Marjoe Gortner talked all about it years ago.

Thankfully this kind of thing doesn't exist where I live (the Catholic Church is bad enough), but I've seen it on TV and Youtube. That's exactly the kind of weird shit Axl grew up with. I probably learned about 'speaking in tongues' and all that stuff from Axl talking about it actually. Crazy.

1 minute ago, Lumikki said:

Duff's first book is great. It's more about his life and his struggle with addiction though than about GnR and the guys in it. His second book is nice as well, but mostly stuff he's written already in his news paper columns.

Slash's has more stuff about GnR and the band members in it and is more of a typical Rock n Roll biography.

Thankfully this kind of thing doesn't exist where I live (the Catholic Church is bad enough), but I've seen it on TV and Youtube. That's exactly the kind of weird shit Axl grew up with. I probably learned about 'speaking in tongues' and all that stuff from Axl talking about it actually. Crazy.

I am eventually going to buy Slash's and Steven's books as well. after Vegas and just having bought a new house I am kind of "cash poor" at the moment. i'd usually just buy them all at once! :P

just because you're intelligent doesn't mean you'll see EVERYTHING for what it is....Axl has always been a nut with the spiritual stuff and sometimes it was down right delusions and schizophrenia but its not my place to speak on it......im hoping he has found his peace now (it seems to me he has and i'm happy to see it)

interesting thread though..i knew about the airport incident but not what it was about

4 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

That's just ridiculous.  I come from a town smaller than Axl did...in Indiana...and would not fall for this.