If you ever wondered what made Axl flip in the 1998 airport incident

29 minutes ago, stella said:

There was also an unfounded but persistent rumor that he was ill at some point. In some of those early 2000s photos he doesn't seem to have eyelashes, either. There are tons of illnesses and treatments out there that can make a person lose their hair, so that would make sense. So can stress.

I don't think he's had anything other than Botox either, and he may not have even had that. And frankly Botox is so common in showbusiness that it's not even considered noteworthy in any way, and it's temporary. They use it for medical purposes like curing migraines now, too.

The basketball game interview was the most baffling imo. Probably because he not only had no eyebrows/eyelashes but also none of the fine hairs people normally have around their ears and cheeks (sideburns?), which made him look like he was wearing a wig.

39 minutes ago, stella said:

I agree, it's nice to have a lighter tone to this thread. :)

I like this photo because it shows just how different (Axl's) red hair can look depending on how it's lit. The hair on the half of his head that's turned toward the sun is really bright and looks strawberry blond, but the parts that are shadowed look several shades darker and even close to brown.

tumblr_n4ka5mNkkP1sovzsio1_500.jpg

Axl's hair looks super bright when he's in the sun:

a8239b445e643cb371b31224db1162e4.jpg

Those are good examples. Some more from those days:

http://www.mm52.com/star/images/a/axl_rose/axl_rose_0004_620px.jpghttp://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/85039355-photo-of-axl-rose-and-guns-n-roses-and-guns-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QUJgX2q1lY2cAKAmcY%2F%2BqO1chphm%2FaJOh%2Bv1qBN59Z3krSwyDFg%2F3CSLwZnFNbTSEg%3D%3Dhttp://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Axl/tumblr_l9471slQiG1qdis0wo1_500.jpg~original

Edited by Lumikki

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

In 1999 he seems to be extremely thin. Compared to the mugshot of 1998 where he looks fuller. Then again in 2001 he was very big and by 2002 he was thin again.

Those weight fluctuations are telling, IMO.

Yeah, these fluctuations are certainly strange. Telling of what though? Did you have anything specific in mind?

10 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

The basketball game interview was the most baffling imo. Probably because he not only had no eyebrows/eyelashes but also none of the fine hairs people normally have around their ears and cheeks (sideburns?), which made him look like he was wearing a wig.

That's actually the one that really made me wonder if the rumors of his being ill were true. His skin looks almost waxy in that interview, and he's really, really pale (paler than normal).

16 minutes ago, killuridols said:

In 1999 he seems to be extremely thin. Compared to the mugshot of 1998 where he looks fuller. Then again in 2001 he was very big and by 2002 he was thin again.

Those weight fluctuations are telling, IMO.

ITA. And a lot of the time he's seemed to be moon-faced: his face has been bloated when his body hasn't been. That can be a sign of some specific stuff. If anything was amiss with him, I certainly hope  he's 100% well now.

Edited by stella

Just now, Lumikki said:

Yeah, these fluctuations are certainly strange. Telling of what though? Did you have anything specific in mind?

Yeah, but I don't wanna speculate and say stuff when I don't really don't know what happened to him :(

i just know that drastic drops and gains of weight are not a healthy sign...

1 minute ago, stella said:

ITA. And a lot of the time he's seemed to be moon-faced: his face has been bloated when his body hasn't been. That can be a sign of some specific stuff. If anything was amiss with him, I certainly hope  he's 100% well now.

He made it. Cause he looked really good in 2006. 

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, but I don't wanna speculate and say stuff when I don't really don't know what happened to him :(

I think that's one of the reasons I've jumped in sometimes when people have gone on about how he's obviously done nothing but sit on his butt in his mansion and eaten McDonald's when he's dropped out of sight...we just don't know that and something else could have been up. I don't want to speculate either, especially it's his private life, but there have definitely been signs that have concerned me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stella said:

That's actually the one that really made me wonder if the rumors of his being ill were true. His skin looks almost waxy in that interview, and he's really, really pale (paler than normal).

Yeah, his skin has a really sickly and unhealthly looking tone there. As far as I know there is zero proof of Axl ever having been sick, but that interview certainly made me consider the possibility as well.

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes, I've thought about that before as well. Wanna tell me your thoughts via PM?

6 minutes ago, maxpax said:

He made it. Cause he looked really good in 2006. 

True, in 2006 he looked really good.

Edited by Lumikki

51 minutes ago, maxpax said:

But there was no reason for botox, he had no N ...Axl looked the most weird in 1999. His head looked thinner and his face looked like he used an acid mask. Almost no facial hair... like an oiled baby butt.hqdefault.jpg

Just one year before this Interview he looked like this.296.jpg

I always wondered why he had no eyebrows there. Kind of strange contrast there from a masculine to feminine look. I too, thought he might have been sick that year.

5 hours ago, Babooshka said:

The elephant in the room has always been Axl's mental health.

Not that I'm faulting him or anything, it's a complicated issue made even more so when there's a lack of proper treatment.

I think he was desperate and unwell. These people took advantage.

The elephant in the room, yes. Just how crazy is Axl really? And would we rather the singer of our favorite band be a gullible moron or batshit insane? There are certainly enough people around who've got some "crazy Axl stories" to tell to make him being a being a fry or two short of a happy meal believable.

(And Axl's hair is red! :P Still is in my opinion..... The weight thing is strange as well. Maybe he has some kind of eating disorder? Rare in men, but still more common than many think...)

Edited by Frey

1 hour ago, stella said:

I think that's one of the reasons I've jumped in sometimes when people have gone on about how he's obviously done nothing but sit on his butt in his mansion and eaten McDonald's when he's dropped out of sight...we just don't know that and something else could have been up. I don't want to speculate either, especially it's his private life, but there have definitely been signs that have concerned me.

All I know is that from 1994 until 2006 (more or less) Axl suffered a lot and those years were the worst of his life, from breaking up with several women to losing friends to drugs, his mother death, Losing his whole band and having to start from scratch, lawsuits, counter lawsuits, his 1998 arrest, the whole Chinese Democracy saga, cancelled tours, RIR, fans rejection, etc. etc. It's just too much. Anyone would implode at some point.

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

Yes, I've thought about that before as well. Wanna tell me your thoughts via PM?

Oh I really don't have a theory about it. Like I said, I think he went through a lot of heavy stuff during most of the 90's and until mid 2000s and al this stress could have triggered a vast range of health problems. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

All I know is that from 1994 until 2006 (more or less) Axl suffered a lot and those years were the worst of his life, from breaking up with several women to losing friends to drugs, his mother death, Losing his whole band and having to start from scratch, lawsuits, counter lawsuits, his 1998 arrest, the whole Chinese Democracy saga, cancelled tours, RIR, fans rejection, etc. etc. It's just too much. Anyone would implode at some point.

Well said. Any one of those things would be enough to make someone have a meltdown; dealing with all of them, one after the next, had to have been unimaginably difficult and heartbreaking for him, to say the very least. He lost almost everyone he was close to during those years.

1 minute ago, stella said:

Well said. Any one of those things would be enough to make someone have a meltdown; dealing with all of them, one after the next, had to have been unimaginably difficult and heartbreaking for him, to say the very least. He lost almost everyone he was close to during those years.

Yup :)

And had to pick up the pieces and rebuild himself, which he did in 2006. He looked great, healthy and with an amazing voice. Sort of the same thing he's done for the 2016 comeback.

38 minutes ago, Frey said:

The elephant in the room, yes. Just how crazy is Axl really? And would we rather the singer of our favorite band be a gullible moron or batshit insane? There are certainly enough people around who've got some "crazy Axl stories" to tell to make him being a being a fry or two short of a happy meal believable.

(And Axl's hair is red! :P Still is in my opinion..... The weight thing is strange as well. Maybe he has some kind of eating disorder? Rare in men, but still more common than many think...)

There are a lot of prescription medications that can make one gain weight or bloat. That's my guess.

As for the gullible thing, to be fair, he did grow up being taught to believe in higher powers. Did anyone read that letter from his stepfather in the EE auction? Yikes, is all I can say.  

Axl must have been dreadfully unhappy to consider something like an exorcism. I don't think it's being dumb, it's longing to be "fixed" or whole.

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

^ He looked quite toned and muscular there. At RIR he was looking a bit pudgy again.

yup. in september 2002 he looked strange again...like he had a twin brother...once again axl looked more feminine and like he had almost no facial hair

2002-axl-rose-2236126.jpg

and then in 06. young, manly and fresh.

wenn821148.jpg

5 minutes ago, maxpax said:

yup. in september 2002 he looked strange again...like he had a twin brother...once again axl looked more feminine and like he had almost no facial hair

2002-axl-rose-2236126.jpg

Yes, the complete lack of any hair whatsover on his head except for the braids and artificially colored eyebrows makes him look strange. And he also doesn't often smile that wide, with his gums showing. In addition to the general strange style, this is probably what threw most people off and started the plastic surgery rumors. It's also a bad picture, he looks a bit manic there.

2006 was the year he looked more manly than any other era of him. Before that and after that, Axl was always the androgynous type. His outfits are and were always extravagant, eccentric, a strange combo of male and female clothes. He also wears the most ridiculous colors, lol.

In 2016 he's wearing "lady hats" or hats and sunglasses that remind you of Janis Joplin. He's definitely paying tribute to Janis with his 2016 headwear.