AC/DC Lineups

Silent Jay

25 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I guess the last one is what we would call nuAC/DC :rofl-lol:

Australian Republic starts now?

Anyway, I never really cared for AC/DC, didn't know they'd had so many line-ups (I thought it was like 6-7 at the most :lol:) , but I've been listening/watching more Bon-era stuff (mostly live '78-79 stuff) lately, I'm starting to appreciate his voice/delivery more. I still don't really like Brian, though. Basically, imagine your grandpa trying to sound like Dan McCafferty, and you get this.

My favourite line-up,

ouurv5.jpg

Powerage, Highway and Let there Be Rock film.

But credit where credit is due for this line-up for all of the early classics from TNT - Let There Be Rock, my second favourite,

Rock-band-ACDC.jpg

Third favourite, Back In Black,

AC-DC.jpg

Which is also the line-up from 1994 -2014, producing Black Ice, one of my favourite albums of theirs.

The rest are interim line-ups, however the Slade/Razor's Edge period deserves some respect.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Australian Republic starts now?

Anyway, I never really cared for AC/DC, didn't know they'd had so many line-ups (I thought it was like 6-7 at the most :lol:) , but I've been listening/watching more Bon-era stuff (mostly live '78-79 stuff) lately, I'm starting to appreciate his voice/delivery more. I still don't really like Brian, though. Basically, imagine your grandpa trying to sound like Dan McCafferty, and you get this.

They haven't had that many people in the band past the very early days, before the first truly complete lineup of AC/DC it was sort of session musicians stepping in and out, with the exception of Angus, Malcolm, and Bon. The only person really worth mentioning from the early days is Dave Evans and even then, he's hardly worth mentioning. AC/DC did really have a steady lineup until they released their second album in Australia (TNT) and their first album internationally (High Voltage). But once the band solidified, the only people to be in the band over the last 40 years are:

Angus Young (Lead guitar, 1973- )

Malcolm Young (Rhythm guitar, 1973-2014)

Bon Scott (Vocals, 1974-1980)

Mark Evans (Bass, 1975-1977)

Phil Rudd (Drums, 1975-1983, 1995-2014)

Cliff Williams (Bass, 1977- )

Brian Johnson (Vocals, 1980-2016)

Simon Wright (Drums, 1983-1988)

Stevie Young (Rhythm guitar, 1988, 2014- )

Chris Slade (Drums, 1990-1993, 2015- )

Axl Rose (Vocals, 2016- )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Slade said he could do it ten more years. Eighty might be too old for acdc, same with cliff (66). We'll see, we'll probably see the return of Phil Rudd at some point. 

Don't hold your breath, he's been in jail then on home detention which he breached on threats to kill & drug charges.

Affidavits to the court said Rudd would lose tens of millions of dollars if he was convicted because he couldn't tour to certain countries with AC/DC.

Judge Ingram said there was no evidence he had an offer from the band and he was not convinced that Rudd's drumming was integral to the AC/DC sound. OUCH!!

Rudd told an Australian TV station in May his former bandmates, including guitarist Angus Young, weren't talking to him.

"They haven't called me. I wrote them a letter and I tried to get in touch with Angus but I've had no contact from anybody," Rudd told A Current Affair. "I'm very disappointed, but that's life."

Sorry about the links but they keep popping up & I can't get rid of them.

AC/DC with Bon Scott is just the fucking best.

That voice... he got the lyrics and vibes of AC/DC and made them into what they are... Brian was a good second chapter and amazing material didn't happen, but if only Bon wouldn't have passed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

My favourite line-up,

ouurv5.jpg

But credit where credit is due for this line-up for all of the early classics from TNT - Let There Be Rock, my second favourite,

Rock-band-ACDC.jpg

AC-DC.jpg

Which is also the line-up from 1994 -2014, producing Black Ice, one of my favourite albums of theirs.

The rest are interim line-ups, however the Slade/Razor's Edge period deserves some respect.

This. These three lineups are the only ones that matter. Once you go past these you have less originals (that is the Australian TNT lineup onwards, no one cares about Dave Evans and everyone else that was in the band with the Youngs prior).

26 minutes ago, rock4eva said:

Don't hold your breath, he's been in jail then on home detention which he breached on threats to kill & drug charges.

Affidavits to the court said Rudd would lose tens of millions of dollars if he was convicted because he couldn't tour to certain countries with AC/DC.

Judge Ingram said there was no evidence he had an offer from the band and he was not convinced that Rudd's drumming was integral to the AC/DC sound. OUCH!!

Rudd told an Australian TV station in May his former bandmates, including guitarist Angus Young, weren't talking to him.

"They haven't called me. I wrote them a letter and I tried to get in touch with Angus but I've had no contact from anybody," Rudd told A Current Affair. "I'm very disappointed, but that's life."

Sorry about the links but they keep popping up & I can't get rid of them.

Who gives a fuck what some judge thinks? Phil Rudd's drumming IS integral to the sound of the band. Anyone else they've had hits way too hard or sounds too big. No groove, no feel.

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

My favourite line-up,

ouurv5.jpg

Rock-band-ACDC.jpg

AC-DC.jpg

+1

2 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

That voice... he got the lyrics and vibes of AC/DC and made them into what they are... Brian was a good second chapter and amazing material didn't happen, but if only Bon wouldn't have passed.

They really need to bring this one back. We really need to hear Axl on Problem Child and Kicked in the Teeth.

To me the absolute backbone of the band was Malcolm. Angus has even said in interviews that most of the time Malcolm was the one that setup his guitar tone! I have always been a fan, but the Rock or Bust album truly sounds different guitar-wise. Without Malcolm, Angus doesn't even sound quite the same. I think they can tour for several more years, but musically I don't expect anything earth shattering from them even with Axl!

I got into AC/DC with the Razor's Edge line-up so in many respects Slade is the AC/DC drummer for me. That said, Phil is certainly the definitive AC/DC drummer and hugely responsible for their sound.

Highway To Hell is my favorite album so by default I suppose that makes the 1977-1980 line-up my favorite. But then, Brian's vocals on Back In Black are my favorite set of hard rock vocals of all time. So does that mean the 1980-1983/1994-2014 line-up is my favorite?

Fuck it. I love me some AC/DC.

Huge kudos to Stevie and Slade for keeping the AC/DC sound alive. Unbelievable how a totally different rhythm section can still sound right.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

@1:43  Bon says "what I don't I kick' and Angus does a little kick.   :lol:  That's so badass.

• Like 3

On 28.5.2016 at 4:49 AM, Silent Jay said:

Slade said he could do it ten more years. Eighty might be too old for acdc, same with cliff (66). We'll see, we'll probably see the return of Phil Rudd at some point. 

I hope that Simon will rejoin the band at some point in the future.

Edited by Sosso

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 2:55 AM, DieselDaisy said:

My favourite line-up,

ouurv5.jpg

Rock-band-ACDC.jpg

AC-DC.jpg

100% agree with the first 2, Cliff in for Mark  - The Powerage and Highway To Hell lineup is my absolute favourite! At your 3rd choice onwards, I don't really care tbh, was never a huge Brian fan, though a massive fan of the Band. Cant wait for Saturday!

47 minutes ago, silkchild said:

100% agree with the first 2, Cliff in for Mark  - The Powerage and Highway To Hell lineup is my absolute favourite! At your 3rd choice onwards, I don't really care tbh, was never a huge Brian fan, though a massive fan of the Band. Cant wait for Saturday!

Fair enough but are you going to credit Dave Evans's AC/DC or the brief pre-Rudd line-up, over the line-ups which produced Back in Black, Razor's Edge and Black Ice? You are going to have to like High Voltage a lot to do this.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fair enough but are you going to credit Dave Evans's AC/DC or the brief pre-Rudd line-up, over the line-ups which produced Back in Black, Razor's Edge and Black Ice? You are going to have to like High Voltage a lot to do this.

No, I only count the lineups on the studio records, not before :) Basically I feel there is a few good tunes with Brian, but generally not a fan. All the albums with Bon singing are my favourites. The music for Back in Black was written with the intention of Bon singing, still a great record to be fair though.

• 1 month later...