GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

27 minutes ago, stella said:

Very much. He's incredibly smart, socially aware and mature.

Back in the day, that was the persona he seemed to have - the "king of beers" with the punk mentality. I do remember reading an interview after AfD came out, though (I wasn't even a preteen at that point). They had mini-interviews with the band members and on Duff's page, he said he liked to read. And then he went into a long discussion on the books he was reading. It totally threw me because it didn't seem like it fit the drunk dude persona he had. It took a while for Duff to get everything right in his world, but it's been amazing watching what he's done since then.

I think that Duff and Axl's friendship has to be a great thing for both of them to have again. Axl seemed so happy when Duff played in NuGNR. In Duff's book he seemed to understand and connect with Axl on a different level.

I had a similar experience. I remember Slash and Duff saying that they referred to Axl telling a story as a "Twain wreck" because he was as long-winded as Mark Twain. I was like "Literature joke from the guys in GnR?! Huh, interesting." :P

But that's a thing I've always liked about them. Even if they don't always show it, most of them do have some brains. You could have actual conversations about literature and their favorite books with them, for example. Duff, Axl and Slash all like to read and have talked about that topic in the past. Some of them extensively even. I was very amused by Duff's endless list of great books that he shared in his own book. :lol: 

I can't imagine the same thing with most other guys from 80s metal bands. Maybe I'm being mean, but I'm not sure if Vince Neil and others would even have a favorite book to talk about :lol:

(No idea about Izzy though. But he comes across as a guy with a good head on his shoulders and some common sense.)

And yes, Axl and Duff seem to have a special connection. There's always a lot of focus put on Axl and Slash's relationship, and Axl and Izzy's, but I think Axl and Duff's deserves some attention as well.

Edited by Lumikki

45 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

(No idea about Izzy though. But he comes across as a guy with a good head on his shoulders and some common sense.)

Geez, you guys talk so much that it is hard to keep reading! hahaha

Anyway, I read somewhere that Izzy was into Philosophy books. And about Slash, Myles Kennedy once said he's kinda addicted to reading?

Guns N' Brains hehehe :lol:

Holy crap I see I'm never going to be able to go to work again, I miss too much here! I'm very sorry I missed the butt thread, so can we please go back to that for just a moment, and take a second to admire these thighs?? Omg these thighs. I was somehow lucky enough to get floor seats at the Toronto concert back in 91 (should give an idea of my age eek) and waited for him to come out in his bike shorts so I could ogle his legs. I waited and waited..and he never wore them! He.Never.Wore.Them. :o

600-axl_rose_shorts.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Holy crap I see I'm never going to be able to go to work again, I miss too much here! I'm very sorry I missed the butt thread, so can we please go back to that for just a moment, and take a second to admire these thighs?? Omg these thighs. I was somehow lucky enough to get floor seats at the Toronto concert back in 91 (should give an idea of my age eek) and waited for him to come out in his bike shorts so I could ogle his legs. I waited and waited..and he never wore them! He.Never.Wore.Them. :o

600-axl_rose_shorts.jpg

looool, yes lets dont get sentimental here! Let's go back to what's important: THIGHS, ASS & B------:rofl-lol:

What do you mean he never wore the bikers again? He wore them throughout the whole 1992 tour!

tumblr_nr3dt09Ztm1r1nn32o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nlw9rzuEtj1syuq8no1_500.png

yellow cap 3.jpg

oh lord im gonna die :drool::drool::drool:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

looool, yes lets dont get sentimental here! Let's go back to what's important: THIGHS, ASS & B------:rofl-lol:

What do you mean he never wore the bikers again? He wore them throughout the whole 1992 tour!

tumblr_nr3dt09Ztm1r1nn32o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nlw9rzuEtj1syuq8no1_500.png

yellow cap 3.jpg

oh lord im gonna die :drool::drool::drool:

No, I mean at the concert I was at! Probably the only one he didn't wear them at dammit! Man these are good pictures..what a relief it is to be able to talk and drool freely, thank you girls for coming up with this great separate thread idea!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

No, I mean at the concert I was at! Probably the only one he didn't wear them at dammit! Man these are good pictures..what a relief it is to be able to talk and drool freely, thank you girls for coming up with this great separate thread idea!

Oh. That sucks! :rofl-lol:

I've got *worse* pictures, muahahaa :drool: but i don't know if I can post them. Yeah, this thread has potential to become really good, but we gotta keep control. Them boys and men will be patrolling here to try to shut us down (as usual) but we won't let them! :headbang:

29 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Maybe with all the "bring back Locomotive", "get rid of certain band member" petitions, we can make our own "bring back the tiny bike shorts" petition..bet they haven't seen that one before!

Haha I'd say "petition for Axl to drop the alcohol and the beer gut".

Really, I have to admit now, he's bloated and so is his stomach. It's a pity because his legs are awesome and his butt and arms, but he's got that gut that I dont know why it seems more prominent now than at the beginning of the AXL/DC shows. Is he drinking a lot in those terrible alcoholic countries? :max:

• Like 1

Can't say I am after any piece of him except his music ( I suppose that would be mind and voice, though, hey, I wouldn't throw away money if offered) but the dude needs to quit trying to be a turtle. He has always had a problem with hunching his shoulders over but it is really bad now. Most of the pictures now-a-days that people say look great is because he actually has his shoulders back where they belong with good posture in them instead of hunched over working on his best (hard backed) reptile impression. 

I love the dude, but that has always drove me crazy (in the bad way) about him.

Edited by sanity_lost

4 hours ago, Lumikki said:

I had a similar experience. I remember Slash and Duff saying that they referred to Axl telling a story as a "Twain wreck" because he was as long-winded as Mark Twain. I was like "Literature joke from the guys in GnR?! Huh, interesting." :P

But that's a thing I've always liked about them. Even if they don't always show it, most of them do have some brains. You could have actual conversations about literature and their favorite books with them, for example. Duff, Axl and Slash all like to read and have talked about that topic in the past. Some of them extensively even. I was very amused by Duff's endless list of great books that he shared in his own book. :lol: 

I can't imagine the same thing with most other guys from 80s metal bands. Maybe I'm being mean, but I'm not sure if Vince Neil and others would even have a favorite book to talk about :lol:

And yes, Axl and Duff seem to have a special connection. There's always a lot of focus put on Axl and Slash's relationship, and Axl and Izzy's, but I think Axl and Duff's deserves some attention as well.

There's a video from the UYI tour that always stands out to me - it's in Philadelphia where there's some fight happening in the pit and Robert John is involved, and Axl stops the show. Duff's the one who walks up, puts his arm around Axl, stays there while things are being sorted out, and then walks him upstage, giving him support. I think Duff probably stepped into the role of supporting Axl and trying to help him like that more than we'll ever know.

And I agree, I think you could sit down and talk with Duff or Slash about books or have a deep conversation with them. I think a lot of that was concealed during the AfD and UYI eras because of their substance abuse, but they're both intelligent men. Duff's list of books and his blurbs about why he liked them were pretty awesome. I'd actually love to read more of his book reviews and thoughts; someone should get him to do a column on that. :) Another thing about Duff I like a lot is how he's seemed so open to learning new things, and has been perfectly open about saying so - he said that he originally started taking business and finance classes because he didn't understand the financial statements he was getting, for instance.

And I'm with you, many other rock/etc. musicians don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed. Some of them, though...Alice Cooper comes off as being very smart. Sting, too - he wrote an amazing, insightful memoir. Steven Tyler, Freddie Mercury, Lenny Kravitz, Robert Smith, too. Dolly Parton is unbelievably smart and savvy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stella said:

There's a video from the UYI tour that always stands out to me - it's in Philadelphia where there's some fight happening in the pit and Robert John is involved, and Axl stops the show. Duff's the one who walks up, puts his arm around Axl, stays there while things are being sorted out, and then walks him upstage, giving him support. I think Duff probably stepped into the role of supporting Axl and trying to help him like that more than we'll ever know.

And I agree, I think you could sit down and talk with Duff or Slash about books or have a deep conversation with them. I think a lot of that was concealed during the AfD and UYI eras because of their substance abuse, but they're both intelligent men. Duff's list of books and his blurbs about why he liked them were pretty awesome. I'd actually love to read more of his book reviews and thoughts; someone should get him to do a column on that. :) Another thing about Duff I like a lot is how he's seemed so open to learning new things, and has been perfectly open about saying so - he said that he originally started taking business and finance classes because he didn't understand the financial statements he was getting, for instance.

And I'm with you, many other rock/etc. musicians don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed. Some of them, though...Alice Cooper comes off as being very smart. Sting, too - he wrote an amazing, insightful memoir. Steven Tyler, Freddie Mercury, Lenny Kravitz, Robert Smith, too. Dolly Parton is unbelievably smart and savvy.

I really like that Duff has high ideals of who he thinks he should be as a person. Or at least that's the sense I got when reading his books. He may not be quite there and may not always quite reach it, but he always strives toward it.

• Like 2

OMG so happy I finally have a place on this forum where I can post my frivolous Erin / Steph / Tracey & Roberta / Axl's ass posts without fear of ridicule and a "we're too busy discussing how we all hate Pitman" style comeback :awesomeface:.

I can't read 10 pages worth so sorry if this has already been brought up, BUT wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the "other" GNR females - Desi, Adriana, Barbie etc. I was and still am kinda fascinated by Desi. Partly because I'm a huge Izzy fan and partly because I think (along with Erin, Meegan etc) she had such a unique vantage point from around that time, and I've never heard an interview with her, except for a few sentences in Reckless Road. I'd love to ask her some things.

I know Adriana gets a lot of shit for what happened too, but I also thought she was kinda cool. 

Also agree with everyone on the Erin vs Steph thing. Stephanie never came across well, even at the time. Erin loved Axl before he was a big rock star, she comes across as a genuine person.

Edit: Some of the above posts are so funny - ladies, you're awesome :wub:

Edited by Gilla999
  • Like 2

welcome in, Gill!

some of you mentioned the fact that Axl could be gay..

well, I've never thought it...  until recent years!!

I don't know why, but I have this feeling when I look at him..

it's not a  problem for me, of course!

In terms of the other GnR women, I can't say they've ever really crossed my mind one way or the other. It was interesting to read some of their perspectives in Marc Canter's book, though, and it must have been really something to be a part of the scene on the Sunset Strip in the mid/late 80s.

Edited by stella

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

Oh. That sucks! :rofl-lol:

I've got *worse* pictures, muahahaa :drool: but i don't know if I can post them. Yeah, this thread has potential to become really good, but we gotta keep control. Them boys and men will be patrolling here to try to shut us down (as usual) but we won't let them! :headbang:

Where are the pictures? You can't just tell us about them and then not posting. It's cruel :max:

:wub:

Re: Axl's butt, etc. I have to say I don't usually much notice such things on men, but Axl had/has some incredible thighs, legs and butt. I'm all about people's pretty faces normally (a department in which Axl is a winner as well), but can't ignore the rest of him. He used to be perfect from the top of his head down to his toes, looks-wise. :wub:

Also, welcome @Gilla999 !

@killuridols : thanks for the cute Axl/Duff vids. I'll have to contribute to the Axl and Duff love as well. Also, regarding the pics you talked about- I'd say post them, but I'm not sure what the rules here are regarding nudity in pics etc...

15 hours ago, the-estranged-girl said:

Geez, you guys talk so much that it is hard to keep reading! hahaha

Anyway, I read somewhere that Izzy was into Philosophy books. And about Slash, Myles Kennedy once said he's kinda addicted to reading?

Guns N' Brains hehehe :lol:

Izzy into philosophy books?! :lol: Well, that's interesting. As for Slash, I'm not surprised to hear that. I remember seeing him reading a book a few times even during the UYI days (like when they were on that boat in Greece).

What a bunch of nerds ;)

12 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Can't say I am after any piece of him except his music ( I suppose that would be mind and voice, though, hey, I wouldn't throw away money if offered) but the dude needs to quit trying to be a turtle. He has always had a problem with hunching his shoulders over but it is really bad now. Most of the pictures now-a-days that people say look great is because he actually has his shoulders back where they belong with good posture in them instead of hunched over working on his best (hard backed) reptile impression. 

I love the dude, but that has always drove me crazy (in the bad way) about him.

I've noticed that he sometimes holds his body in really strange ways as well. I could never quite put my finger on it, but it is mostly him weirdly hunching his shoulders, yes. And yeah, he's been doing that forever.

11 hours ago, stella said:

I have noticed that as well about Duff often supporting Axl on stage and trying to calm him down when something goes wrong. Not just in Philadelphia video, but also 2 or 3 others. Always thought that was very sweet of him.

And a cloumn like that would be a great idea, I would also love to read his thoughts about certain books, movies, etc...

7 hours ago, Italian girl said:

some of you mentioned the fact that Axl could be gay..

well, I've never thought it...  until recent years!!

I don't know why, but I have this feeling when I look at him..

it's not a  problem for me, of course!

Well who knows, maybe your feeling is right... stranger things have happened! ;)

6 hours ago, stella said:

IMHO the weight and bloating issues go back to what we were talking about in the other thread - the possibility that he has or had some health issues, especially because his weight has seemed to go up and down so drastically at times and such. There are photos from 2001 where he looks pudgy and 2002 where he looks downright gaunt.

Yeah, that's very possible. Meds can cause a lot of that kind of stuff. It's strange though how he looked just like himself and completely healthy in 2006, but never before and never after.

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1

Hi, girls! Good morning! (at least here)

I'll be very busy today :( but I will try to keep up with the thread. I love it!

Later I'll try to post more pics and videos and animated gifs, hehe. Regarding the "worse" pics :P they are not private photos, they are out there and that's the way Axl used to be in the beginning of his career so, I don't know how wrong it could be since it's something he's done in public, but let's see.

Heres a pic to salute you until I'm back!

image.jpeg