GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

8 hours ago, cheesecake said:

AC/DC concert. I think before he performed TTM or was it YSMANL? Can't recall really. 

Before 'Shot Down In Flames' and the lyrics to that song are about a woman who is with a guy just for the money :unsure:

7 hours ago, starlight said:

I want to believe Duff and Slash were there backstage with Axl to take care of him ;) At least they were all together while in the previous shows it used to be only Axl with those people, right? lol

I think they have separate backstage rooms so I don't think they are all in one room when they take these photos with fans or whatever. The furniture and arrangements look different in Axl's photos than Slash photos or Duff's photos.

3 hours ago, tiutso said:

I got that. The point is, 'tranny' is an inherently derogatory term in English. Some people attempted to normalize it as a way for cross-dressers to empower themselves but it didn't take. It's been mostly used as a slur in reference to trans women for a long time, since transgender people started being conflated with drag queens. There's pretty much no way to use it as an unonffensive word, because it's intended to be one.

Axl's dumb remarks about lesbian women could be talked about for a few reasons, but they don't really enter this conversation, because 'lesbian' isn't an insult. Now, had he used 'dyke', that would very much a reason to give him shit.

Ok. Then I apologize to any transgender person who was reading this and took offense for what I wrote. :shrugs:

From my point of view, some people in the LGBT community overreact to things that are not worth such stress and these overreactions must for sure take a toll on their health.
I understand that when you've been made fun of or bullied or criticized your whole life for your sexual choices your attitude becomes defensive whenever you sense someone may be attacking those choices but I think our societies have done a lot of advancement in that matter and while there's still a lot of discrimination, segregation and hatred, there's also a lot more tolerance and even naturalization of certain things. 

Nowadays not many people think being gay is weird or bad. It's become natural (at least for me) that there are some men and some women who prefer to have same-sex partners. That's why I thought it wouldn't hurt to make fun of an outfit and call it "tranny" because what's so bad about pointing out something that is part of a culture that we all know it exists? 

We all know some men (and women) cross-dress, for multiple reasons, or wear clothes that sometimes resemble the opposite sex wardrobe. And just like with any other person, some clothes are ugly and really look bad on you, whether you are male or female. It is an aesthetic issue for me. Axl's hat, the one we call Janis Joplin, along with the sunglasses, I think (just my opinion) it looks wonderful on him and I love it and I celebrate that choice (even knowing that it's not much of a "manly" hat).

I am aware that a transvestite person is not the same as a transgender person or a transsexual person or a cross-dressing person, hence using the word "tranny" wouldn't help when you want to state the differences of each group, but there is one common factor among them all: they are all people who reject or are in conflict with the sex they were assigned at birth (except for cross-dressers I think) and they all want to wear the opposite sex clothes. So, to me and this is my own theory, a "tranny outfit" is composed of male and female pieces of clothes and I don't see how it is offensive, since all of this people are using the prefix "trans" to refer to themselves.

I know you said the word is commonly used as an insult and that's why no one would ever think cool of it but it wasn't my intention to insult anyone rather than describe an specific outfit Axl was wearing.

5 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Cause well I have a friend who is not allowed to put on make up for a few days cause she had an eye surgery, so well she is saying she won't go out of the house and she doesn't wants anyone to meet her cause she won't be wearing any make up. 

Im like its ok? People won't see her in a negative way or something. So I was just thinking that is it really that important for girls? 

Well I'm not a make-up freak but when I'm going to work or going out I like to put some foundation, but that's because I have very fair skin and that actually make me look healthier haha 

But when I'm late or my skin is in a bad day or I'm going to some casual place with friends or family I don't wear it at all. It's all about to accept yourself the way you are - it will make you look better, and it's ok to put some, but you don't need to be a slave of the make-up. Tell that to your friend. Besides, nobody cares, it's all in her head and her insecurities. Be free girl!

• Like 2

Sometimes I do sympathize with people who are dependent on makeup when leaving home. 

Just the other day I saw "news" on how Kim K spends at least 2 hours in the morning (DAILY) to have her makeup artist apply makeup on her before she can leave home. I mean, YIKES...if you have an 8am appointment, meaning you have to wake up earlier then 6am in order to ready yourself for the makeup session. 

I once saw her picture without makeup, I think it was her showing how she got sunburned sunbathing by the pool with sunglasses on, where the area not exposed (the eyes) were of different shade than the rest that got burned. And she looked pretty good sans makeup with burn and all. Not sure why she's so insecure that she thinks she needs to put tons of stuff on her face. Celebs are like that, I guess.

Axl too...why the need for eyeliner? He's a very good looking guy, so I don't understand this.

51 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I guess this is the best place to ask

Is putting on makeup really important for you girls? 

Yeah its ok to put it, but there are some people who won't step out of the house if they don't wear it. 

It used to be for me until a few years ago. I wouldn't leave my house without wearing make up, even if it was just a little mascara, eyeliner and a bit of lipstick. 

Then, some internal change happened in me and I did a 180° turn. I stopped caring about the make up and one day I went out just like that. I become so secure of myself that I could face anyone out there and if they dared to say anything about me or my face I felt I was able to deal with it and put them in their place. Of course, no one said shit to me :lol: It was nothing but my insecurities preventing me from stopping the make up ritual. Once I became more secure with my life, my choices and gained freedom in certain aspects of my life, all the masks quickly faded away.

Your friend must be a very insecure person, scared of the judgment of other people and that's why she can't imagine herself facing the world without her mask.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Btw, while I was quickly trying to figure out why Duswalt stopped working for Axl, I came across a video of him telling some of the stories from his book (like how he usually had to stay up with Axl until 6 in the morning (that's apparently when Axl goes to bed), and then get up again at 8) and he said "I babysat Axl for 4 years." I don't know, but it kind of makes me sad how all these people (Alan Niven, Duswalt, Slash, etc.) refer to it as babysitting. I mean yeah, we joke about it here and that's fine, but I think it's kind of disrespectful and demeaning coming from the people actually close to him/working for him. Like lots of famous/sucessful people have personal assistants, but no one ever calls them their babysitters or says they're babysitting XY Famous Person. What the the Craigs, Dougs, Betas etc. of this world do/did is probably closer to actual babysitting than what most PAs do, but still :wacko:

It's actually quite common, on the contrary, now celebrities have the presence of mind to make their PAs sign a gag contract so they can't divulge anything without getting sued to hell and back but at the time Axl has Duswalt it wasn't as common, some PAs spilt the dirt when they were out of the bussiness and didn't worry about connections anymore, the words "babysit" "spoiled brat" and "diva" were used a lot and even now there are the blind i-tems like the ones @MillionsOfSpiders talked about and stories in interviews, like, Keith Richards' assistant has to pour his drinks for him, he doesn't do it himself before interviews, there are way more Axl-type of celebrities than Duff-type, they are just better at hiding it because they don't have Axl's emotional instability. (yes, i read gossip when i'm bored and i got nothing better to do :P)

59 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Yeah its ok to put it, but there are some people who won't step out of the house if they don't wear it. 

I put it on only when i got out at night and only eye-liner and mascara but i know women who will never find without make-up in public, it has to do with insecurity but i don't care and i want to sleep as much as i can in the morning :lol:

27 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

My thing is that why you care what others will think about you? If you can't wear for some reason, then it doesn't means you wont leave the house or you would not want to meet anyone. 

Because women suffer a lot of judgment from men and other women. This is something men will never understand and that's why you seem so lost with this issue. You have to be a female in order to understand a lot of issues women have to deal with in their lives.

When you are a young female everybody seem to be aware of your looks, of your weight, your clothes, your overall appearance. This is something that puts a lot of pressure on young women, especially if in your upbringing you didn't have a lot of reassurance from your primary family.

When you grow up in a supporting group and things like appearance are not celebrated as they were the ultimate goal to achieve in your life, then you grow up as a strong secure person. But when you don't, you become insecure because all the people around you talk about that. Also the media and advertising put emphasis in looks and is constantly promoting images of perfect women, as an stereotype everybody must aspire to become.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It used to be for me until a few years ago. I wouldn't leave my house without wearing make up, even if it was just a little mascara, eyeliner and a bit of lipstick. 

Then, some internal change happened in me and I did a 180° turn. I stopped caring about the make up and one day I went out just like that. I become so secure of myself that I could face anyone out there and if they dared to say anything about me or my face I felt I was able to deal with it and put them in their place. Of course, no one said shit to me :lol: It was nothing but my insecurities preventing me from stopping the make up ritual. Once I became more secure with my life, my choices and gained freedom in certain aspects of my life, all the masks quickly faded away.

Your friend must be a very insecure person, scared of the judgment of other people and that's why she can't imagine herself facing the world without her mask.

Well she doesn't puts heavy make up, just a little mascara, eyeliner and a bit of lipstick as you said.

I won't say she is very insecure cause she is my best friend, but well I told her that why she cares about others and she is not the Queen that everyone is going to look at her.

2 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Well she doesn't puts heavy make up, just a little mascara, eyeliner and a bit of lipstick as you said.

I won't say she is very insecure cause she is my best friend, but well I told her that why she cares about others and she is not the Queen that everyone is going to look at her.

Well, she had an eye surgery, just tell her to put some sunglasses on, and some lipstick. That way she can leave home almost without makeup.

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

you become insecure because all the people around you talk about that. 

She said the same thing when I told her, but not meeting people just cause of it is just I don't know what to say. She had a surgery, so people want to come and see her that how she is doing, but she doesn't wants anyone to ever come over to her house cause she won't be wearing any make up

36 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Well I'm not a make-up freak but when I'm going to work or going out I like to put some foundation, but that's because I have very fair skin and that actually make me look healthier haha 

But when I'm late or my skin is in a bad day or I'm going to some casual place with friends or family I don't wear it at all. It's all about to accept yourself the way you are - it will make you look better, and it's ok to put some, but you don't need to be a slave of the make-up. Tell that to your friend. Besides, nobody cares, it's all in her head and her insecurities. Be free girl!

What you said is very true.

Putting on normal make up is absolutely fine, nothing wrong with it. But if someone cannot wear it for medical reasons and doesn't wants to meet anyone just cause of this, then its wrong.

6 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

Well, she had an eye surgery, just tell her to put some sunglasses on, and some lipstick. That way she can leave home almost without makeup.

The doctor told her to put on sunglasses whenever she goes out, it was her birthday 2 days ago, even then she din't go out anywhere just cause of the make up.

She is not even meeting her own family members just cause of make up.

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

here I am

32 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

She said the same thing when I told her, but not meeting people just cause of it is just I don't know what to say. She had a surgery, so people want to come and see her that how she is doing, but she doesn't wants anyone to ever come over to her house cause she won't be wearing any make up

then she has a huge insecurity issue and she hides behind her make-up. You won't be able to fix it by telling her anything. This is a mental issue you overcome only when you yourself work on it, not when others tell you.

Maybe something really bad happened to her that she became so insecure about her looks. But it is not something uncommon, you know? It happens to women all the time and as I told you before, overcoming it depends on age too, levels of maturity and other things that are hard to tell from the outside.

My only advice for you is that you and other people stop nagging her about it and respect her decision even if it sounds ridiculous to you. It doesn't help trying to force her to do something she's evidently not ready to face yet. So if you want to know how she's doing, just call her on the phone or text her, until she decides is time to face the world again.

These kind of issues don't disappear overnight, sometimes they get worse if the person doesn't want to treat them.

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

then she has a huge insecurity issue and she hides behind her make-up. You won't be able to fix it by telling her anything. This is a mental issue you overcome only when you yourself work on it, not when others tell you.

Maybe something really bad happened to her that she became so insecure about her looks. But it is not something uncommon, you know? It happens to women all the time and as I told you before, overcoming it depends on age too, levels of maturity and other things that are hard to tell from the outside.

My only advice for you is that you and other people stop nagging her about it and respect her decision even if it sounds ridiculous to you. It doesn't help trying to force her to do something she's evidently not ready to face yet. So if you want to know how she's doing, just call her on the phone or text her, until she decides is time to face the world again.

These kind of issues don't disappear overnight, sometimes they get worse if the person doesn't want to treat them.

Yeah ive been texting her, Im not forcing her, but just telling things for her own benefit. 

Yeah its better not to nag her, nah nothing bad happened to her, but she has this thing that she doesn't looks good and like how can she go out in the world or even meet people without make up.

She is very pissed at the moment cause some of her relatives are coming over to her place and she doesn't wants to meet them.

I would say this is insecurity, but I wont say it to her otherwise she will really get mad and go crazy on me. 

4 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Yeah ive been texting her, Im not forcing her, but just telling things for her own benefit. 

Yeah its better not to nag her, nah nothing bad happened to her, but she has this thing that she doesn't looks good and like how can she go out in the world or even meet people without make up.

She is very pissed at the moment cause some of her relatives are coming over to her place and she doesn't wants to meet them.

I would say this is insecurity, but I wont say it to her otherwise she will really get mad and go crazy on me. 

Well, you really don't know if something bad happened to her. She won't tell you. Women don't talk about certain things or only with other women, but we all know they happen because it happens to all of us at some point in our lives.

There are common experiences all female share that men will never understand, see, or hear about. 

Yeah, she must be pissed about that and probably more because going through surgery is not a cool thing, no matter how simple it is, no one feels comfortable with it. So people should be more understanding of her situation too. If she needs someone I'm sure she's gonna call them :shrugs:

No, don't give her shit right now, lol, it will probably make her even more insecure and upset about the whole thing. One day she will realize if this is something that really affects her life in the future and will change by herself. Or not. Who knows.

47 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

here I am

no. in fact i rarely wear it. i have allergies almost all year round so if i have my eyes made up it just gets rubbed off cos my eyes itch so bad. if i do wear make up it's for special occasions. i had to wear base at GN'R in Vegas because i was very pale. for this concert coming up August 9th i have a light tan so no base necessary but i am going to go all out on the eye makeup, i'll just take a handful of benedryl before. i want to be able to bat my long lashed eyes at Axl when he comes near! :wub:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rock Hopper said:

Actually the lyrics are about a man trying to pick up women and getting told to go to Hell:P

Singles bar, got my eye on a honey
Hanging out everywhere
She might be straight
She might want my money
I really don't care, no

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

@killuridols Talk about crossdress, I remember tht Izzy N' Slash ever dressed as a Girl, if theres any photo of tht...

Slash once dressed as a woman to be able to enter some night club. I guess that's the story. But I think he was like 17 years old :P

20 minutes ago, Rock Hopper said:

Try reading the rest of the lyrics:P Got to go to work now see you in the morning.

Yeah, I did. He treats her like a hooker, or thinks she's a hooker and asks what's her price.

I think every verse of the song is about a different woman though.